Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Jonathan Sanchez

Posted: 02/04/2013 7:13 PM

Jonathan Sanchez 


The Pirates are reportedly close to signing Sanchez to a minor league deal.  I actually kind of like this signing.  If he is actually healthy and gets back to his 2009-2011 form he could be a very valuable starting pitcher, especially in PNC Park.  However, even if we still sign Liriano it gives the Pirates extra depth behind him or another possible lefty option out of the bullpen.

Last edited 02/04/2013 7:15 PM by cferrel3

Reply | Quote
  • kdog341
  • Member
  • 495 posts this site

Posted: 02/04/2013 7:52 PM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


Yeah we will have some real serious pitching depth this season.



Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 5:47 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


Sanchez had 53 walks and 5 HBP in 64 innings last year.

In 1973, Steve Blass had 84 walks and 12 HBP in 88.2 IP.

I guess they will have something to talk about...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 6:09 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


I love this signing.  Still hoping we sign Liriano too.  

I'm not confident that Sanchez will return to his old form but it's worth taking a look to find out.

Next, lets release Barmes.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/05/2013 7:55 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


Agree, this is a zero risk signing.  If he returns to his former form, it is great for the Pirates, if not, no big deal since it is only a minor league deal.  He is only 30 and was plagued by injuries all last season so I think it is a pretty good probability that the Pirates will get some value from him this season. 

I also hope we sign Liriano also, but I don't want Barmes released at all.  Even if Mercer or someone else eventually overtakes him as the primary starter, he still has a ton of value off the bench since he is well above average defensively at every position around the infield.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 8:00 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


There is no chance -- zero, zippo, zilch -- that Barmes gets released.

The BMTIS would never pay him the $5M to do nothing.

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 8:02 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 



gr1111 wrote: There is no chance -- zero, zippo, zilch -- that Barmes gets released.

The BMTIS would never pay him the $5M to do nothing.

Wait, aren't they doing that already??  biggrin
#fringeprospect
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 8:17 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


excited

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/05/2013 8:30 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 



TBayXXXVII wrote:
gr1111 wrote: There is no chance -- zero, zippo, zilch -- that Barmes gets released.

The BMTIS would never pay him the $5M to do nothing.

Wait, aren't they doing that already??  biggrin
I will not sit idly by as you two besmirch the good name of one of our biggest free agent signings in years! biggrin
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 8:37 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 



GhostOfPBG wrote:
TBayXXXVII wrote:
gr1111 wrote: There is no chance -- zero, zippo, zilch -- that Barmes gets released.

The BMTIS would never pay him the $5M to do nothing.

Wait, aren't they doing that already??  biggrin
I will not sit idly by as you two besmirch the good name of one of our biggest free agent signings in years! biggrin



Only TBay besmirched.  I am innocent of that accusation!!!flushed

excited

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 8:55 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


I think this is a good deal for the Bucs also. The key is that we didn't have to give up anybody to get him. Of course, you shouldn't have to give up any players for a guy who is coming off a season in which his ERA was 8.07. I'm confident that Searage can help get him straightened out. It wasn't too long ago that he was a very good pitcher.




I spent most of my money on beer and football. The rest I just wasted.

Last edited 02/05/2013 9:31 AM by burghsports3

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 10:19 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 



gr1111 wrote:
GhostOfPBG wrote:
TBayXXXVII wrote:
gr1111 wrote: There is no chance -- zero, zippo, zilch -- that Barmes gets released.

The BMTIS would never pay him the $5M to do nothing.

Wait, aren't they doing that already??  biggrin
I will not sit idly by as you two besmirch the good name of one of our biggest free agent signings in years! biggrin



Only TBay besmirched.  I am innocent of that accusation!!!flushed

excited

#fringeprospect
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 11:35 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 



TBayXXXVII wrote:
gr1111 wrote:
GhostOfPBG wrote:
TBayXXXVII wrote:
gr1111 wrote: There is no chance -- zero, zippo, zilch -- that Barmes gets released.

The BMTIS would never pay him the $5M to do nothing.

Wait, aren't they doing that already??  biggrin
I will not sit idly by as you two besmirch the good name of one of our biggest free agent signings in years! biggrin



Only TBay besmirched.  I am innocent of that accusation!!!flushed

excited



devil

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 11:44 AM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


eekeekeek


Jeaseohman!  International Signage for Being Thrown Under The Bus!!!  Who knew?!?!?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 12:47 PM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 



williamjpellas wrote: eekeekeek


Jeaseohman!  International Signage for Being Thrown Under The Bus!!!  Who knew?!?!?



I have no good defense.  I'm guilty.  redface

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/05/2013 2:16 PM

Re: Jonathan Sanchez 


Is Sanchez going to be another pseudo-signing (like Liriano)?
Reply | Quote