Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >

Scout.com's Top 100 prospects

Posted: 01/18/2013 9:46 AM

Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


Where does Dylan Bundy fall on this list?

Scout.com's 2013 Top-100 MLB Prospects

Before the 2012 season, Scout.com released its Top-100 MLB Prospects. Topping the list were LHP Matt Moore, OF Mike Trout and OF Bryce Harper. All three players would be instrumental in their teams' winning seasons. Will this year's top prospects have a similar MLB impact? Find out who made the 2013 list inside... Full Story | Discuss

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/18/2013 10:07 AM

Re: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


Unless I missed somebody (very possible), I count FOUR Pirates on the list:

#4   Cole
#7   Taillon
#54  Hanson
#70  Heredia


The notable snub here (unless I missed him) is Polonco, who Baseball America actually ranked higher than Hanson.

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/18/2013 4:07 PM

Re: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


Oh look, our number 4 pick Tony Suck-chez is not on the list surprise. What a wasted pick.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/19/2013 6:59 AM

Re: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 



vinnybravo wrote: Oh look, our number 4 pick Tony Suck-chez is not on the list surprise. What a wasted pick.

Yep, the 2009 draft looks terrible right now as in "F-" terrible.




I spent most of my money on beer and football. The rest I just wasted.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 10:51 AM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


I don't know about that.

Tony Sanchez
Victor Black
Colton Cain
Brock Holt
Phil Irwin
Jeff Inman
Brooks Pounders
Zack Von Rosenberg
Nathan Baker
Aaron Baker
Zack Dodson


Irwin, Black and Sanchez look like pretty safe bets to have solid major league careers. Sanchez probably has the floor of an average catcher who can last a decade in the majors. Black has the stuff of a lights out closer and Irwin looks like a middle of the rotation starter.

All three of those guys are in AAA and will be on the team in 2013 or 2014. Three guys from a draft is hardly an F.

Lets also not forget this draft has been used to acquire players in trade. Aaron Baker was used to acquire Derrick Lee who was a great pickup. Colton Cain helped get us Wandy Rodriguez. Holt was part of the Hanrahan trade. Pounders was used to get Navarro which was used to get Jhondaniel Medina who is a guy to keep tabs on.

I just really am not sure what the expectations are of a draft from some people as if you should get 8 players out of a draft or something? A success is considered 3 players either that come into the majors through the system or are acquired through trade.

I would put this draft as a B- right now. Cain was a key piece of the Wandy Rodriguez deal. Lee was our best player the second half of 2011. I don't really get the venom against Sanchez personally. He has strong defense already. Good OBP skills. He hit for average in AA and there were concerns about his power. Then he went to AAA and hit for power. So he pretty much has every possible tool you want from a catcher since speed isn't really in the equation. If Von Rosenberg pans out which we will probably have a better idea of in 2013 I think this draft call could hit a B+
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 11:03 AM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


I dont care if all the guys make the ML, if they stink then its not a good draft. Sanchez was picked #4. You dont take a back up catcher at pick 4. As far as the rest of the picks not one has make a positive impact on the ML team so we cannot say if its a good or bad draft yet.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 11:39 AM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


Who said he's a backup catcher?

Pretty sure Wandy Rodriguez and Derrek Lee made positive impacts on the team. You don't get those players without using assets from the 2009 draft.

The 2009 draft was a pretty weak one. It had Stephen Strasburg and the talent fell of a cliff big time. Mike Trout came out of nowhere but that is about it thus far for first round impact talent. The player taken third was Donovan Tate who looks to be a bust. The rest of the round was primarily all pitching which is a big gamble. None of the guys really stood out from each other at the time. You could of ended up with Matt Hobgood or Shelby Miller. The names you could pretty much pick from a hat. Sanchez still looks like a pretty good pick to me. Three years after the draft and having the time to look it over with three years of the players playing in the minors Tony Sanchez is still a top 5 pick. If you redrafted today 3 years later it would go as follows.

1.1 Mike Trout
1.2 Stephen Strasburg
1.3 Shelby Miller
1.4 Zach Wheeler
1.5 Tony Sanchez

Maybe you bump Sanchez down a spot or two because perhaps someone likes a guy like Mike Minor or Dustin Ackley more but he isn't falling much further than that.

In hindsight the pick of Sanchez looks pretty good actually. There wasn't really much for impact talent in this draft as it was very hit or miss. Strasburg was considered a once in a lifetime talent yet won't be the best player in the round as that will go to Mike Trout at 25. It wasn't even good scouting but more of luck by the Angels because they also had pick number 24 and took Randel Grichuk. Luckily for the Pirates Mark Teixeira was ranked higher than C.C. Sabathia as a free agent which gave the pick to Anahiem instead of the Brewers. The Brewers would of otherwise gotten the 25th pick and were going to select Mike Trout so that's a player we don't have to deal with.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/19/2013 4:50 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


If you're redrafting Will Myers, Jason Kipnis, Nick Franklin, Jacob Turner, Rex Brothers, Tyler Skaggs, Aaron Crow, Drew Storen, Joe Kelly, Nolan Arendo, and probably Mike Leake and Brandon Belt ALL go before Tony Sanchez... if you're redrafting...
Blame it on "a certain someone"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 5:25 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 



fishmong wrote: If you're redrafting Will Myers, Jason Kipnis, Nick Franklin, Jacob Turner, Rex Brothers, Tyler Skaggs, Aaron Crow, Drew Storen, Joe Kelly, Nolan Arendo, and probably Mike Leake and Brandon Belt ALL go before Tony Sanchez... if you're redrafting...
We're only talking about the first round.  At the time of the draft Sanchez was projected to go in the end of the first round.  Many complained he was a horrible reach but the fact is in baseball you can't trade draft picks.  Sanchez was the best catcher in the draft and the Pirates had the choice to take Sanchez 4th or to let someone else take him.  In a draft that was as crap shoot as the 2009 one turned to be it was a very good strategy.  The entire first round only looks to of produced 2 franchise players in Strasburg and Trout.

I disagree with you that guys like Leake, Crow and Storen would be ahead of Sanchez.  Those guys were drafted because they were close to the majors and could help the team fairly soon.  Leake is a back end starter and Crow and Storen are relief pitchers.  While they both are good you aren't trading a regular everyday catcher for either of those 3 players.  Even if Sanchez is ordinary as a player.  Lets say he ends us with an OPS like that of AJ Pierzynski.  They will get there in different ways as Pierzynski is more batting average while Sanchez is more OBP.  At the end of the day is a .753 OPS that hard of a number to reach for Sanchez?  I don't really think so.  Sanchez is a better defender than Pierzynski.  Catchers hold a huge value premium because it's so hard to find competent ones.  Would you trade a 25 or 26 year old Pierzynski for Leake, Crow or Stroren?  I sure wouldn't.  When he was moved Pierzynski got a huge return because of how valuable catchers are.

Before people start going crazy about comparing Sanchez to Pierzynski

Pierzynski in the minors - .287/.323/.415
Sanchez in the minors - .268/.365/.403

On top of that Pierzynski spent parts of 3 seasons in AAA, playing at least 41 games each year in AAA and he played in the PCL which spiked his numbers.

I think people are really underrating Sanchez.  He might not be an all-star player but he's going to play excellent defense and has all the other tools.  The ability to hit for average, draw walks and hit for power.   I think the Martin signing was a good one because it takes a lot of pressure off of Sanchez.  He doesn't have to worry about putting pressure on himself to take the catchers job in Pittsburgh.  Just doing his thing.  The thing that gets me with the criticism about Sanchez is that people just don't understand patience.  The first half of the year in AA Sanchez wasn't hitting for power but was hitting for a good average and OBP.  So people complained about the power.  Then he goes to AAA and starts hitting for strong power numbers.  That is a homer every 25.75 AB's from a catcher.  His average was down but it was his first crack at AAA.  In 2011 he hit .314 in A+ then went to AA and hit .241 and people complained.  In 2012 he goes out and hits .277 in AA and gets promoted to AAA and hits .233.  He's a stronger hitter than that.  I'm sure he'll hit in the .260's in AAA this year and maybe even more.  Combine that with an always stellar OBP and double digit power and strong catcher defense?  What more do you really want from a player?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 5:49 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 



katoy2j wrote: Who said he's a backup catcher?

Pretty sure Wandy Rodriguez and Derrek Lee made positive impacts on the team. You don't get those players without using assets from the 2009 draft.

The 2009 draft was a pretty weak one. It had Stephen Strasburg and the talent fell of a cliff big time. Mike Trout came out of nowhere but that is about it thus far for first round impact talent. The player taken third was Donovan Tate who looks to be a bust. The rest of the round was primarily all pitching which is a big gamble. None of the guys really stood out from each other at the time. You could of ended up with Matt Hobgood or Shelby Miller. The names you could pretty much pick from a hat. Sanchez still looks like a pretty good pick to me. Three years after the draft and having the time to look it over with three years of the players playing in the minors Tony Sanchez is still a top 5 pick. If you redrafted today 3 years later it would go as follows.

1.1 Mike Trout
1.2 Stephen Strasburg
1.3 Shelby Miller
1.4 Zach Wheeler
1.5 Tony Sanchez

Maybe you bump Sanchez down a spot or two because perhaps someone likes a guy like Mike Minor or Dustin Ackley more but he isn't falling much further than that.

In hindsight the pick of Sanchez looks pretty good actually. There wasn't really much for impact talent in this draft as it was very hit or miss. Strasburg was considered a once in a lifetime talent yet won't be the best player in the round as that will go to Mike Trout at 25. It wasn't even good scouting but more of luck by the Angels because they also had pick number 24 and took Randel Grichuk. Luckily for the Pirates Mark Teixeira was ranked higher than C.C. Sabathia as a free agent which gave the pick to Anahiem instead of the Brewers. The Brewers would of otherwise gotten the 25th pick and were going to select Mike Trout so that's a player we don't have to deal with.
Lee had a good two months for the Pirates, but did they make the playoffs? Did they end up finishing  better than .500? I like the idea of getting Lee, but in the long run it did nothing for the team. As far as Wandy the Pirates went into a nose dive after they got him. He is a guy for some reason I just dont like. I have no real reason, I just dont like him and expect him to flop this season. Like I said I have nothing to back that up but a gut feeling.

As far as Sanchez you may be right about the backup. He may not even bet that good. The big issue I have with Sanchez is he was not the best player on the board when they picked him, not even close. And you never ever pick based on need over talent when you are drafting that high. It was just as bad as the Moskos pick. He has a suspact bat with little power. He may be a slightly above average defensive back up catcher, but I dont see him ever being as good as McHenry is right now. However, he will be cheaper for a few years.

And why do you always pick some obscure player to compare minor league stats to? I could care less what AJ did in the minors. We are not talking about AJ, or Molina, or Posey or any other catcher other than Sanchez. He was a bad pick to save money.

Last edited 01/19/2013 5:52 PM by vinnybravo

Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 6:40 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 



vinnybravo wrote: 

Lee had a good two months for the Pirates, but did they make the playoffs? Did they end up finishing  better than .500? I like the idea of getting Lee, but in the long run it did nothing for the team. As far as Wandy the Pirates went into a nose dive after they got him. He is a guy for some reason I just dont like. I have no real reason, I just dont like him and expect him to flop this season. Like I said I have nothing to back that up but a gut feeling.

As far as Sanchez you may be right about the backup. He may not even bet that good. The big issue I have with Sanchez is he was not the best player on the board when they picked him, not even close. And you never ever pick based on need over talent when you are drafting that high. It was just as bad as the Moskos pick. He has a suspact bat with little power. He may be a slightly above average defensive back up catcher, but I dont see him ever being as good as McHenry is right now. However, he will be cheaper for a few years.

I see why your projections make so little sense now.  You don't like Wandy Rodrigiez so despite the fact he has been a very good pitcher for the last 5 years he's expected to flop because you don't like him.  Guess what people hated Barry Bonds. It didn't mean he was going to stop being a good player because people didn't like him.

As for Sanchez having a suspect bat and having no power?  In his debut in AAA and you prorate his power it translates to 24 homers over a full season.  He's hit above .300 at two different levels and he's always had strong walk rates.  The only argument is he hasn't hit for power and average together at the same time.  It's part of the development process though.  If he was hitting for power and average at the same time he would be a top 30 prospect and the only catchers better than him would be D'Arnaud and Zunzino

Tony Sanchez hit for a OPS of .739 last year across two levels.

Here are the OPS for the 4-10 ranked prospects in baseball last year and all of them played at lower levels than Sanchez did.

4. Christian Bethancourt - .566 OPS
5. Austin Hedges - .785 OPS
6. Jorge Alfaro - .750 OPS
7. Tommy Joseph - .715
8. Sebastian Valle - .699
9. Blake Swihart - .702
10. Stryker Trahan - .895

So Sanchez stacks up pretty good compared to those guys.  Those are the second tier of catcher rankings after the elite guys.  So I think you really need to evaluate what a backup catcher really is because these guys are the future of the majors and apparently a lot of teams are going to be starting backup catchers.

As for the need over talent it doesn't fly in this instance.  Teams draft by need all the time.  The 2009 draft did not have any talent that stuck out as you could go back and redo the draft from the Sanchez pick on and it would play out differently each time.  It was pretty much Strasburg one and Ackley two and then everyone else it was who you like more.  It was full of high school pitchers and none of them really stood out from each other.  So they could of passed on Sanchez and picked the best player available and that would of been Matt Hobgood.  Matt Hobgood you say?  Yeah exactly he is pretty much a flame out so I'm pretty happy with Sanchez in that spot.  The chances are pretty good the Pirates end up with a solid starting catcher which I think was a better option then playing a lottery ticket taking a high school starting pitcher when they were all interchangeable.  In 2009 they were all ranked so close to each other non of them stood out really.  It isn't like one of those guys were considered a Jameson Taillon like talent because non of them were.  They all pretty much had the same projections.  Good fastball, could add velocity as he gets older and needs to work on command and secondary pitchers and keeping the ball down.  That held true for Hobgood, James, Mier, Matzek or Miller.  There was a very good chance you were busting out taking a pitcher in the 4th spot.  There was no franchise player, can't miss player available.  Even now there is no can't miss guy if you can go three years in the future.  Shelby Miller had a lot of issues in AAA.  Zach Wheeler has some control issues and Jacob Turner was rushed to the majors so who knows how he will turn out.

This is not a Moskos situation where he was picked overlooking a very good player in Matt Wietters and everyone knew he was going to be good.  The next best hitter in the draft and the only other guy that was linked to the Pirates was Grant Green.  He has since 2009 been moved off the shortstop position and into the outfield where he projects as a bench player so year I'm glad we have Sanchez because otherwise we would of taken Green most likely.  If Mike Trout was deemed a can't miss player and was getting passed up by teams because of signing demands then this would of been comparable to Moskos.  This was not a Moskos situation at all though as there really was no consensus pick at that point.

As for your point of taking the best player available here were the predraft rankings.  Here are the top 5 guys.

1. Steven Strasburg RHP San Diego State

2. Alex White RHP North Carolina

3. Grant Green SS Southern California

4. Dustin Ackley 1B/OF North Carolina

5. Matthew Purke LHP HS Texas


Alex White (15th), Grant Green (13th) and Matthew Purke (14th, did not sign abd was drafted in the third round of 2011) ended up falling in the draft because there wasn't really any "best player available"

Sanchez looks like a much better pick than any of the supposed "best players available"  Alex White has been traded twice already and has 6.03 ERA in the majors.  Grant Green couldn't handle shortstop defensively and is projected as a 4th outfielder in the majors.  Purke had major arm problems and has thrown 15.1 innings in his minor league career.  Boy the Sanchez pick looks really good compared to what the other top options were if you ask me.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 8:17 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


If you draft for need you will be a losing organization. You take the best player available.

As far as my prediction it has nothing to do with my dislike of Wandy. When I figure my prediction I have Wandy being a .500 pitcher with an ERA right at 4.00 for the season.

As far as Tony Sanchez, he gets worse at the competition gets better. I dont care if he raked in A ball 3 years ago. The last two season's he has stunk at the plate. If you prorate his AA HR stats for last season, which he 40 games vs 62 in AAA he would hit ZERO HR's. He is not getting better he is getting worse.

I expect Sanchez to be a .225-230ish hitter in the ML's. Probally hit about 10 HR's or so. To me that is back up material.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/19/2013 9:15 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


We're only talking about the first round.  At the time of the draft Sanchez was projected to go in the end of the first round.  Many complained he was a horrible reach but the fact is in baseball you can't trade draft picks.  Sanchez was the best catcher in the draft and the Pirates had the choice to take Sanchez 4th or to let someone else take him.  In a draft that was as crap shoot as the 2009 one turned to be it was a very good strategy.  The entire first round only looks to of produced 2 franchise players in Strasburg and Trout.

I disagree with you that guys like Leake, Crow and Storen would be ahead of Sanchez.  Those guys were drafted because they were close to the majors and could help the team fairly soon.  Leake is a back end starter and Crow and Storen are relief pitchers.  While they both are good you aren't trading a regular everyday catcher for either of those 3 players.  Even if Sanchez is ordinary as a player. Lets say he ends us with an OPS like that of AJ Pierzynski.  They will get there in different ways as Pierzynski is more batting average while Sanchez is more OBP.  At the end of the day is a .753 OPS that hard of a number to reach for Sanchez?  I don't really think so.  Sanchez is a better defender than Pierzynski.  Catchers hold a huge value premium because it's so hard to find competent ones.  Would you trade a 25 or 26 year old Pierzynski for Leake, Crow or Stroren?  I sure wouldn't.  When he was moved Pierzynski got a huge return because of how valuable catchers are.

Your premise was if you could redraft 3 YEARS later Tony Sanchez would be 5th, so why would the redraft be limited to the 1st round. Even if you limit it to 1st round guys I'd still take Mike Leake, Jacob Turner, Drew Storen, Aaron Crow, Tyler Skaggs, James Paxton, and Nick Franklin before I'd take Tony Sanchez in addition to the obvious guys.

You might not be trading a regular everyday catcher for Leake, Crow, or Storen, but Tony Sanchez isn't a regular everyday catcher. He's a Triple A guy who MIGHT be a regular everyday catcher one day. Why would a team redrafting take a AAA catcher over All-Star level backend bullpen arms? Over a 24 year old who has a 4.23 ERA in 485 IP at the MAJOR LEAGUE LEVEL? His potential isn't worth passing on those guys? Sanchez is not comparable to a 25 year old Pierzynski, at 25 Pierzynski was coming off his first season as a MLB starter in which he hit .289/322/.441. Sanchez will be 25 this year and comes of a season in which he hit .233/.316/.408 at AAA!! He hasn't even played a MLB game. 

I'm not saying Sanchez won't be a useful player, but if we can redo the draft 3 YEARS LATER no way does any team take Sanchez over the players I listed.  


Blame it on "a certain someone"

Last edited 01/19/2013 9:15 PM by fishmong

Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/19/2013 10:51 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


I think what I said was worded poorly. Based on potential I think Sanchez would be ranked ahead of guys like Crow and Storen. I'm not getting into the compensation round guys as I didn't even look at them. Just the guys in the top 30. If you were to do a redraft Sanchez still goes highly and looking back 3 years later it looks like a pretty solid pick.

I would say Sanchez has a lot more potential than a guy like Mike Leake. He was the classic low risk, low reward type of prospects that I can't stand. He's pretty much a back end starter and honestly those guys are pretty easy to find. As I said with Sanchez he has shown the ability to do everything. He's a strong defensive catcher. He has shown the ability to hit for a high average and he has shown the ability to hit for power. He just hasn't done it all at the same time. He's had two broken jaws which likely played a part in his development. If I'm the Pirates I'm not trading Sanchez for guys like Crow and Storen. Would say no to Leake. I'm not a fan of Turner. The only guys I would deal him for of the first 30 picks are Trout, Strasburg, Wheeler and Miller. As I said Pierzynski and Sanchez will get there different ways but I think OPS wise they will be similar players. If Sanchez does it age 26 instead of age 24 I don't see it as a huge issue. I would rather the Pirates wait a little longer for prospects. Early on they were to eager to call up guys like Tabata and Alvarez and it hurt their development. Now perhaps it looks like they're on the opposite end in waiting a little longer than they should with prospects as guys like Morris, Wilson, Locke and McPherson could of gotten shots a little earlier. High school players generally make the majors at an earlier age than college players because they've been in the system longer. Pierzynski has a late birthday (December 30) and got to start playing professionally at age 17. He became a regular catcher in the year he was turning 25. Sanchez will likely become a regular catcher in the year he turns 26. McKenry has an option left and doesn't really handle the pitching staff well. I think McKenry will get traded this summer and Sanchez will backup Martin for half the season. At the end of the year I believe they will evaluate the position at the end of the year. If Sanchez plays well in the majors this year I think Martin will be traded in the off season. One he makes a lot of money and he can yield something back in trade as lots of teams could use a catcher on a one year deal. I don't think Sanchez will have much difficulty putting up a .750 OPS in the majors. As I said the last two seasons he was coming off broken jaws which impacted his ability to eat as his mouth was wired shut and apparently he had lost 25 pounds and was struggling to gain weight. No doubt this messed up with his power. Hopefully he comes to camp 100% right from the get go as if he does I think he will have a solid season in AAA and force the Pirates hands to call him up. Bradenton is usually the real test for prospects and he was playing very well to the tune of a .314/.416/.454 season before he got hit in the face and broke his jaw. They moved him up to AA the next spring and he struggled. He repeated AA in 2012 and had a good average and OBP of .277 and .370 respectively. He didn't hit for any power which was concerning but then went to AAA for the second half of 2012 and hit for a lot of power. He has all the skills to be a high end catcher. I would probably say his ceiling is that of Miguel Montero. His defense is good enough that he will be a long term starter so I would say his floor is a higher John Buck as Sanchez has a strong OBP. His likely level is that of Pierzynski and he's a much better defender than Pierzynski.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/19/2013 11:14 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


If you're redoing the draft ALL the players would be available it doesn't make any sense to say limit it to the 1st round, why not just limit it to the 1st 5 picks!!!!!!

I think Sanchez can be a good player, but if you're redrafting knowing what we know now no way do you take him over Leake. You overrate potential, if Leake had been in the minors these last few years you'd be singing a different tune. You're telling me if teams knew that 3 years from now Leake would have 485 IP with a 4.23 ERA at the ML level and Sanchez would have just reached AAA, they'd take Sanchez?????
Blame it on "a certain someone"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/20/2013 12:00 AM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


Yes I would. Leake was widely known as a guy who would make the majors right away. There was no projection there. He didn't play a game in the minors before he made his major league debut. A team who was desperate for a pitcher right away could use him. While that certainly has value it isn't something that most teams don't already have in their system. What would a team be willing to give up for Mike Leake in a trade? He's got 485 innings under his belt and a total of 1.7 WAR over that time. I would gladly take a potential starting catcher over that any day even if I have to wait a year. Leake is a guy who will likely get non tendered before he makes it through the arbitration process. The only benefit between a guy like Leake and Kevin Correia is that Leake was making the minimum. That isn't the case anymore. Is he worth it at 2.9 million in 2013? Yeah he's worth that salary. What about 5 million in 2014? Now this is getting dicey and it could go either way. In 2015 though you likely aren't giving him 7 million to be the last starter. Sanchez projects as a major league starter. It's a lot harder to find a strong defensive catcher that doesn't embarrass himself with the bat. Sanchez at the very worst will always have a strong OBP. That alone should pretty much guarantee he always has an OPS in the majors of a .730 range. Look how valuable that is. Alex Avila hit .243/.352/.384 with 9 homers. That was still worth an oWAR of 1.7. So in one season Avila's offense was worth what Leake has been worth his entire career. That isn't even factoring defense which gives Avila a 2.2 WAR for 2012. We're basically talking the numbers that Sanchez did last year in the majors.

Sanchez in AA/AAA - .251/.338/.401
Avila in the majors - .243/.352/.384

Throw in the fact that Sanchez is a strong defensive catcher and there isn't a lot of risk. Martin was signed so that Sanchez doesn't need to be rushed. Sanchez is the long term answer. Like I said considering how low the bar is for catchers just like shortstops I would gladly take a guy like Sanchez any day of the week over Leake. You can find a guy like Leake as a free agent on a minor league deal. Leake is a nothing special pitcher who can't hit 90 on the radar gun. He's an extremely replaceable part. You can't find strong defensive catchers with offensive ability like Sanchez.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/20/2013 6:04 AM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


Looking at minor league stats mcKenry had more success than Sanchez has. Sanchez did quite a bit better in A ball, but McKenry did better in AA and AAA. He hit for more power and has better defensive stats. He has thrown out a greater % of base stealer's than Sanchez.

You claim you can find a 5th starter like Leake very easily, well I claim you can find a back up catcher like Sanchez just as easy. I mean Mckenry was a 7th round pick that we got for nothing. We didnt have to waste the 4th pick in the draft to get him.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/26/2013 7:15 AM

Re: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 


No love for Polanco. Surprised he's not on the list. This kid oozes huge potential. Could be a monster some day. If Bell is healthy, we'll have two big-time prospects with him and Polanco. Exciting stuff!




I spent most of my money on beer and football. The rest I just wasted.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/26/2013 7:49 AM

Re: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 



burghsports3 wrote: No love for Polanco. Surprised he's not on the list. This kid oozes huge potential. Could be a monster some day. If Bell is healthy, we'll have two big-time prospects with him and Polanco. Exciting stuff!

Yeah I agree, any top 100 list without Polanco on it loses a ton of credibility with me.  I can understand Bell dropping out because of the knee injury, but now way Polanco isn't a top 100 prospect in anybody's mind lol. 

.325/.388/.522 slash line with 16 hrs 85 rbis and 40 stls in less than five hundred plate appearances as a 20 year old in A-ball.  Plus he plays elite defense in center field.  Not sure what he is missing in the tools package lol.

*and don't forget about Barrett Barnes along with Bell and Polanco.  His ceiling is a corner outfielder that can hit .300 every season with 25 hrs and 20+ steals.  Not a shabby prospect either, if he repeats his success this season he will probably be a top 100 prospect as well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/26/2013 12:40 PM

RE: Scout.com's Top 100 prospects 



fishmong wrote: If you're redrafting Will Myers, Jason Kipnis, Nick Franklin, Jacob Turner, Rex Brothers, Tyler Skaggs, Aaron Crow, Drew Storen, Joe Kelly, Nolan Arendo, and probably Mike Leake and Brandon Belt ALL go before Tony Sanchez... if you're redrafting...
You forgot Mike Trout, Shelby Miller, and Zack Wheeler.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >