Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years

Posted: 10/31/2013 9:17 PM

J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years 


The word is finally out.

The source of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (D-NV) infamous claim during the 2012 presidential campaign that Mitt Romney had not paid any taxes in 10 years was Jon Huntsman Sr., the father of fellow GOP rival Jon Huntsman, according to a new book by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann called “Double Down."

Reid bashed Romney with the claim, which he said came from a Republican and a Bain Capital investor, during the summer of 2012 as the former Mass. governor repeatedly refused to disclose the tax documents.

"He didn't pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that's true? Well, I'm not certain," Reid told the Huffington Post. "But obviously he can't release those tax returns. How would it look?"

.....

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/book-jon-hun tsman-sr-told-reid-that-romney-didn-t-pay-any-taxe s-in-10-years

Watch the righties have nothing to say about a multi-multimillionaire skipping out on paying his fair share, but watch they scream about someone making $6,000 a year get a $100 tax credit.

RIP WIC 2005-2008

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/1/2013 5:34 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


And yet Romney did release his tax returns showing Reid to be false when he came out with this last year. Reid never apologized nor was pressed by the media to give one.

Eagles/Indiana/Mets/Villanova: it's a long story

Last edited 11/1/2013 6:02 AM by PhilaMet

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 7:41 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



PhilaMet wrote: And yet Romney did release his tax returns showing Reid to be false when he came out with this last year. Reid never apologized nor was pressed by the media to give one.
Not really.  Romney only ever showed 2 years of tax returns, the two years prior to that election.  He would have had to be an idiot to pay no taxes in those years leading up to a presidential run.  I don't think Reid ever said that Romney paid no taxes in 2010 or in 2011, he said he paid no taxes while he was working at Bain.

If I recall correctly, Reid made this claim AFTER Romney had released his 2 years of tax returns.  He never released any more.  So, I don't know how someone can say Reid was proven wrong.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 9:30 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


It's pretty undeniable that Romney would have been killed if he showed more of his tax returns. I give him credit, I suppose, for not doing it. I'm not a big Reid fan, but that's sort of the point. He was the perfect bully to go after Romney on this. It was well calculated. In the two years of tax returns Romney did release, he had things like a $250M tax-sheltered IRA. Because, you know, it's important for him to have that money tucked away for retirement.

Of course, it's not illegal to do that, but that again is the point. Most Americans dont like that you can legally do things like this. At least enough where it would have hurt him more. Fortunately for us, Romney was stupid enough to make his intentions about the middle and poor class people perfectly clear. He didnt care about them.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:01 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



dcmets wrote: It's pretty undeniable that Romney would have been killed if he showed more of his tax returns. I give him credit, I suppose, for not doing it. I'm not a big Reid fan, but that's sort of the point. He was the perfect bully to go after Romney on this. It was well calculated. In the two years of tax returns Romney did release, he had things like a $250M tax-sheltered IRA. Because, you know, it's important for him to have that money tucked away for retirement.

Of course, it's not illegal to do that, but that again is the point. Most Americans dont like that you can legally do things like this. At least enough where it would have hurt him more. Fortunately for us, Romney was stupid enough to make his intentions about the middle and poor class people perfectly clear. He didnt care about them.

I seem to remember you saying that the statement about the 47% was a snafu like Reid saying that why would I help a kid with cancer...guess that was just because you were whisking away one of your boy's snafus?

BTW, if most Americans don't like the tax shelters offered by our tax code, why do most people who save for retirement do so in 401ks, and IRA's. Didn't you mean to say that most Americans who don't save for retirement, or who have been sucked into the poisoned mindset of "the rich are evil" do not like that legal tax shelters exist?

do you let your retirement funds get taxed before you put them into savings or stocks to pay taxes on the interest or gains?

I used to be an ardent opponent of Romney, bc he was a moderate, but I realized he was good man more so than a politician. I grew very fond of Romney, and I still am fond of him. attacks like this after the fact are wrong.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:16 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


Who said anything about the 47% comment? Romney did a lot more than that to make it clear where he stood. I seem to recall him saying things like, we already have health care for the poor, we let them go to the emergency room when they are sick. Look it up, he said it.

You are obviously missing the point. IRAs arent taxed, but normal human beings are only allowed to put a certain amount of non-taxed money in each year, because for us, normal laws apply and we are not allowed to hide money in retirement funds. Those rules have work arounds that billionaires/millionaires exploit. Romney uses his Bain/corporate affiliations to keep that money tax-exempt. He isnt doing it for retirement, like us normals. He is doing it to avoid having to pay taxes. It's legal, but as I said, most people hate that. It's the reason people get pissed to hear that millionaires hide money in the Cayman Islands, etc. You dont have to agree, but many do.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:32 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



dcmets wrote: Who said anything about the 47% comment? Romney did a lot more than that to make it clear where he stood. I seem to recall him saying things like, we already have health care for the poor, we let them go to the emergency room when they are sick. Look it up, he said it.

You are obviously missing the point. IRAs arent taxed, but normal human beings are only allowed to put a certain amount of non-taxed money in each year, because for us, normal laws apply and we are not allowed to hide money in retirement funds. Those rules have work arounds that billionaires/millionaires exploit. Romney uses his Bain/corporate affiliations to keep that money tax-exempt. He isnt doing it for retirement, like us normals. He is doing it to avoid having to pay taxes. It's legal, but as I said, most people hate that. It's the reason people get pissed to hear that millionaires hide money in the Cayman Islands, etc. You dont have to agree, but many do.

to the poor getting health care...was that inaccurate? they aren't turned away for reasons of not being able to pay. that doesn't mean he hasn't compassion for them; it can be illustrated by far more accounts of his compassion that he made personal & financial investments to the poor than an accurate statement about them receiving care showing he doesn't.

the man spends more in charitable donations in one year than most make in a lifetime.  

you are probably correct that there are some who begrudge the rich for having those venues, and if so, it's sad. harping what others have the ability to do when they should be concentrating on themselves is destroying our national spirit. that's misguided populism.

the reason I get pissed that people hide money abroad is bc it's taking away $$$ from our economy. I'd gladly pay taxes on increased income if they had the ability to re-invest here w/o the fear of getting nailed for taxes on a secondary taxation.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:32 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


Why does Romney need to release the returns? Why can't Huntsman or Reid produce hard evidence? What is this? Guilty just because someone said so until proven innocent? If you are going to make an outlandish allegation like that, you should at least have one shred of evidence to back it up. The onus is on Huntsman/Reid here, regardless of what the liberal lap puppies think.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:36 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



FIFAstar79 wrote: Why does Romney need to release the returns? Why can't Huntsman or Reid produce hard evidence? What is this? Guilty just because someone said so until proven innocent? If you are going to make an outlandish allegation like that, you should at least have one shred of evidence to back it up. The onus is on Huntsman/Reid here, regardless of what the liberal lap puppies think.

I wish you were here when this was brought up. it was trumpeted by the libs as a scandal...it was a joke.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:37 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



FIFAstar79 wrote: Why does Romney need to release the returns? Why can't Huntsman or Reid produce hard evidence? What is this? Guilty just because someone said so until proven innocent? If you are going to make an outlandish allegation like that, you should at least have one shred of evidence to back it up. The onus is on Huntsman/Reid here, regardless of what the liberal lap puppies think.

Romney doesn't need to release his tax returns if he doesn't want to.  Obviously.  But in failing to release his returns, he ends up looking pretty shady.

Reid doesn't have to prove anything, either.  This isn't a court of law.  Reid can say whatever he wants.  But Romney could have made him look like an idiot if he actually released his tax returns.  He didn't.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:42 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


Uh, yeah, who cares? No one is talking about the legal significance of the allegations. Romney was running for President. He had to deal with it. Like I said, Im not sure he didnt handle it the best he could have. What's your point again? That Reid didnt prove his case in D.C. Circuit Court of Public Opinion by a preponderance of evidence?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:44 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



skopko wrote:
dcmets wrote: Who said anything about the 47% comment? Romney did a lot more than that to make it clear where he stood. I seem to recall him saying things like, we already have health care for the poor, we let them go to the emergency room when they are sick. Look it up, he said it.

You are obviously missing the point. IRAs arent taxed, but normal human beings are only allowed to put a certain amount of non-taxed money in each year, because for us, normal laws apply and we are not allowed to hide money in retirement funds. Those rules have work arounds that billionaires/millionaires exploit. Romney uses his Bain/corporate affiliations to keep that money tax-exempt. He isnt doing it for retirement, like us normals. He is doing it to avoid having to pay taxes. It's legal, but as I said, most people hate that. It's the reason people get pissed to hear that millionaires hide money in the Cayman Islands, etc. You dont have to agree, but many do.

to the poor getting health care...was that inaccurate? they aren't turned away for reasons of not being able to pay. that doesn't mean he hasn't compassion for them; it can be illustrated by far more accounts of his compassion that he made personal & financial investments to the poor than an accurate statement about them receiving care showing he doesn't.

the man spends more in charitable donations in one year than most make in a lifetime.  

you are probably correct that there are some who begrudge the rich for having those venues, and if so, it's sad. harping what others have the ability to do when they should be concentrating on themselves is destroying our national spirit. that's misguided populism.

the reason I get pissed that people hide money abroad is bc it's taking away $$$ from our economy. I'd gladly pay taxes on increased income if they had the ability to re-invest here w/o the fear of getting nailed for taxes on a secondary taxation.
Im not really adressing any of that.  Im just saying what the court of public opinion would bare.  Obama is getting raked over the coals right now because of a bad website.  It comes with the territory.  Romney's 10 years of tax returns would have opened him up in the same regard.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:51 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



dcmets wrote:
skopko wrote:
dcmets wrote: Who said anything about the 47% comment? Romney did a lot more than that to make it clear where he stood. I seem to recall him saying things like, we already have health care for the poor, we let them go to the emergency room when they are sick. Look it up, he said it.

You are obviously missing the point. IRAs arent taxed, but normal human beings are only allowed to put a certain amount of non-taxed money in each year, because for us, normal laws apply and we are not allowed to hide money in retirement funds. Those rules have work arounds that billionaires/millionaires exploit. Romney uses his Bain/corporate affiliations to keep that money tax-exempt. He isnt doing it for retirement, like us normals. He is doing it to avoid having to pay taxes. It's legal, but as I said, most people hate that. It's the reason people get pissed to hear that millionaires hide money in the Cayman Islands, etc. You dont have to agree, but many do.

to the poor getting health care...was that inaccurate? they aren't turned away for reasons of not being able to pay. that doesn't mean he hasn't compassion for them; it can be illustrated by far more accounts of his compassion that he made personal & financial investments to the poor than an accurate statement about them receiving care showing he doesn't.

the man spends more in charitable donations in one year than most make in a lifetime.  

you are probably correct that there are some who begrudge the rich for having those venues, and if so, it's sad. harping what others have the ability to do when they should be concentrating on themselves is destroying our national spirit. that's misguided populism.

the reason I get pissed that people hide money abroad is bc it's taking away $$$ from our economy. I'd gladly pay taxes on increased income if they had the ability to re-invest here w/o the fear of getting nailed for taxes on a secondary taxation.
Im not really adressing any of that.  Im just saying what the court of public opinion would bare.  Obama is getting raked over the coals right now because of a bad website.  It comes with the territory.  Romney's 10 years of tax returns would have opened him up in the same regard.

that's not a congruent comparison. Reid was given leeway for going down that road trying to force Romney to show his taxes. Yet the same media took no interest in Obama releasing his college transcripts...even though he was elected based on his (uncorroborated) superior intellect.

the court of public opinion was a rigged circus against Romney .

Obama is getting raked across the coals not for the site, but for the ACA...most people NEVER wanted it. Furthermore, he's starting to get skewered for NEVER knowing anything pertaining to anything. People are just sick of hearing..."I had nothing to do with that"..."I had no knowledge of that".
http://www.thegatewaypundit.co...irst-time-ever/
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 11:01 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


It's not a congruent comparison because it doesnt fit your argument. There is only MSM bias when you feel like bringing it up. There isnt in the ACA rollout, which you yourself are citing to, since every organization is ripping him to shreds despite looking into the facts beyond the rollout.  CBS ran a story about woman who would have to pay 10x more under the ACA without even addressing the subsidies she was entitled to. 

10 years of taxes were a bigger deal than Obama's college transcripts. People didnt care whether he got a B in college.

Last edited 11/1/2013 11:02 AM by dcmets

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 11:40 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


Reid was given leeway in what sense? What does that mean?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/1/2013 11:54 AM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 


Then you have politicians like Darrell Issa, who make allegations about super low enrollment in the ACA and then (gasp) back it up with details...

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10..._n_4185647.html
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/1/2013 12:04 PM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



minkusdominkus wrote: Reid can say whatever he wants. 

  Yeah, I'd imagine to partisans like you and dcmets, Harry Reid can say whatever he wants without repercussion.  I'm glad you hold your idols to such high standards.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 12:47 PM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



FIFAstar79 wrote:
minkusdominkus wrote: Reid can say whatever he wants. 

  Yeah, I'd imagine to partisans like you and dcmets, Harry Reid can say whatever he wants without repercussion.  I'm glad you hold your idols to such high standards.
Romney could have made Reid look like a complete moron by simply releasing his tax records.

He chose not to, and in doing so, let Reid off the hook.  What part of this don't you get?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/1/2013 12:57 PM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



minkusdominkus wrote:
FIFAstar79 wrote:
minkusdominkus wrote: Reid can say whatever he wants. 

  Yeah, I'd imagine to partisans like you and dcmets, Harry Reid can say whatever he wants without repercussion.  I'm glad you hold your idols to such high standards.
Romney could have made Reid look like a complete moron by simply releasing his tax records.

He chose not to, and in doing so, let Reid off the hook.  What part of this don't you get?


Or Romney could have chosen not to dignify the antics of an idiot and reduce himself in that way.  eek
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/1/2013 12:59 PM

RE: J.Huntsman Sr. to Reid: Romney Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Y 



FIFAstar79 wrote:
minkusdominkus wrote:
FIFAstar79 wrote:
minkusdominkus wrote: Reid can say whatever he wants. 

  Yeah, I'd imagine to partisans like you and dcmets, Harry Reid can say whatever he wants without repercussion.  I'm glad you hold your idols to such high standards.
Romney could have made Reid look like a complete moron by simply releasing his tax records.

He chose not to, and in doing so, let Reid off the hook.  What part of this don't you get?


Or Romney could have chosen not to dignify the antics of an idiot and reduce himself in that way.  eek
And how did that decision work out for him?

All Romney had to do was the same thing every presidential candidate in recent history did, and this whole thing would have been a non-issue unless Reid was right.  Romney chose not to do it.  It was his right not to release his tax records.  But it certainly hurt his campaign.

Last edited 11/1/2013 1:03 PM by minkusdominkus

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >