Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 8  Next >

Does MLB have a Yankee problem? (Francesa has Yankee Problem)

Posted: 10/12/2012 8:04 PM

Does MLB have a Yankee problem? (Francesa has Yankee Problem) 


If the Yankees win yet another World Series, I will absolutely puke.  There must be millions of other baseball fans who feel the same way.  If the Yankees always make the playoffs, always advance to the World Series and keep winning so many of them, why would fans keep caring about the baseball season anymore?  I think another Yankee World Series will be very bad for baseball.

Last edited 10/17/2012 10:39 AM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/12/2012 8:09 PM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


Umm, they've won 2 WS in the last 11 years.............

They win it every year though.

rolleyes

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2012 8:13 PM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


winning it is no guarantee...what they do guarantee is a ticket to the dance (playoffs).

Playoffs are a crapshoot. What isn't a crapshoot is the Yankees somehow finding a way to always get in. They do.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2012 8:21 PM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


I think that MLB has more of a Braves problem than a Yankees problem, IMO. How can one team be allowed to have so many hall of famers? It's just unfair when the backup SS is better than Honus Wagner.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2012 8:25 PM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


If MLB has a Yankee problem, then the NBA might as well shut down.

I think since in the last 22 years, only 8 organizations have won titles.

Bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Lakers
Celtics
Miami
Dallas
Detroit

Did I miss a team?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2012 8:50 PM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


Baseball has a Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, San Deigo problem, not a "Yankee" problem.

I'd kill for the Mets to have a $180 payroll.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2012 9:01 PM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


Well, that problem is coming to an end, don't worry about it. Sure the Yankees will always spend a lot of money; but they spent a lot of money for 30 years. When you have aging guys in Jeter, Pettitte, Mariano, Arod, and Texeira, it will be hard to maintain the success. Add to that CC has a lot of mileage on his arm. It was Jeter, Mo, Posada and Mariano that made them special and that won't last much longer. The only quality young guys on the team are Cano, Robertson, Grandy if you want to count a 30 year old guy as young, & Gardner who's good but no star. Hughes has been OK but not what they expected. Also, the young pitching hasn't panned out. Phelps is Ok, Joba & Nova too, Betances & Banuelos both had lost years. The sun is setting on the evil empire.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/12/2012 9:06 PM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 



dondada10 wrote: If MLB has a Yankee problem, then the NBA might as well shut down.

I think since in the last 22 years, only 8 organizations have won titles.

Bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Lakers
Celtics
Miami
Dallas
Detroit

Did I miss a team?
Seems about right.

Discuss this with people all the time, NBA has ZERO parity. Only about 3-5 teams have a legit shot to win it all each year. Other sports basically everyone does.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2012 9:07 PM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 



Heyward4MVP wrote:
dondada10 wrote: If MLB has a Yankee problem, then the NBA might as well shut down.

I think since in the last 22 years, only 8 organizations have won titles.

Bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Lakers
Celtics
Miami
Dallas
Detroit

Did I miss a team?
Seems about right.

Discuss this with people all the time, NBA has ZERO parity. Only about 3-5 teams have a legit shot to win it all each year. Other sports basically everyone does.
No, I'm wrong.  Those 8 teams have every championship since 1984! That's 28 years, not 22.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2012 10:22 PM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


The problem isnt that the yankees win all the time its that they are allowed to have a payroll that allows them to be the most incompetent team in the majors and still win because of their payroll advantage. I bet if the Royals or Pirates had a 200 million payroll they would have won more than 2 world series in 11 years. The yankees not making the playoffs would be like Michael Jordan losing a game of basketball to a 5 year old with down syndrome. Any poster here could probably do better with a 200 million payroll than the yankees have done.
FREE SEAN PAYTON!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2012 12:49 AM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


I think MLB has a Cardinals problem...

Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2012 5:20 AM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


I am willing to bet a lot that the Mets will win more regular season games between 2014 and 2020 than the Yankees and will also have more playoff appearances in that span.
Same for Mets vs Phillies.

Unfortunately I can't make such a statement for Mets vs Nationals and Mets vs Braves (yet) though the odds aren't too bad...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2012 11:18 AM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


I'd take that bet on Mets vs Yankees. How about we pick a Saturday game in 2021, loser buys the beer :)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2012 11:19 AM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


I was hoping for some new blood in the World Series this year, like the Amtrack series of the Nats vs the Orioles ? The Yankees are getting old to watch. They will just continue to restock the shelves with their 200 million payroll and not skip a beat.

Why don't the Wilpon's see what a true return on investment can buy ? He should have invested his money in free agents and Reyes, and told his buddy Bernie to stick it ! Now us fans are having to watch a sub-standard team.noidea

Go Mets...Cyborg
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2012 11:20 AM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 



RSVandy wrote: I think that MLB has more of a Braves problem than a Yankees problem, IMO. How can one team be allowed to have so many hall of famers? It's just unfair when the backup SS is better than Honus Wagner.

They're gonna have to start taking away their first 3 draft picks. Players they take in rounds 4-40 become Hall of Famers too but it's those 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders that become the no doubter first ballot types.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Who? Who?? Who??"- Ray Lucas on Jets Postgame Live
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2012 11:25 AM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 



---------------------------------------------
--- DrDooby wrote:

I am willing to bet a lot that the Mets will win more regular season games between 2014 and 2020 than the Yankees and will also have more playoff appearances in that span.
Same for Mets vs Phillies.

Unfortunately I can't make such a statement for Mets vs Nationals and Mets vs Braves (yet) though the odds aren't too bad...

---------------------------------------------

As long as the Yankees are willing to paper over their bad player investments by simply signing another expensive guy while the Mets do the exact opposite, the Yankees will continue to be the Mets abusive stepfather. The Mets choose to simmer in a broth of crappiness with every single bad contract and I don't see that ever changing with the Wilpons involved.

Say what you will about the Yankees- i personally hate them- but they care about their brand infinitely more than the short-sighted Wilpons ever will.

Last edited 10/13/2012 11:28 AM by MookieLJL

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2012 11:33 AM

RE: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


Isn't what basically amounts to a hard cap going into effect soon? Yankees won't even go over it being the penalties are so stiff.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2012 11:39 AM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 



danfran wrote: Well, that problem is coming to an end, don't worry about it. Sure the Yankees will always spend a lot of money; but they spent a lot of money for 30 years. When you have aging guys in Jeter, Pettitte, Mariano, Arod, and Texeira, it will be hard to maintain the success. Add to that CC has a lot of mileage on his arm. It was Jeter, Mo, Posada and Mariano that made them special and that won't last much longer. The only quality young guys on the team are Cano, Robertson, Grandy if you want to count a 30 year old guy as young, & Gardner who's good but no star. Hughes has been OK but not what they expected. Also, the young pitching hasn't panned out. Phelps is Ok, Joba & Nova too, Betances & Banuelos both had lost years. The sun is setting on the evil empire.
They'll just sign someone when those contracts are up.

Same has been said with the Patriots, yet every year they are near the top of the AFC, just like the Yankees are in baseball.

Fun fact, Yankees have the most homegrown players of the teams left the playoffs.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2012 12:26 PM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


Doesn't take much to be sick of the Yankees right now, but sadly it is what it is. That said, did anyone else feel like their title in 2009 felt pretty hollow? Seemed Yankees fans had more of a "About damn time!" reaction than something purely jubilant. I still recall some of the players celebrating their title on the field by shaking hands.

Also, I don't know if this makes me insane or not, but I honestly don't ever want the Mets going up to a payroll that blows away the rest of the National League (and MLB in general) the way the Yankees have for about a decade now. Not that I don't want them to spend, mind you; no qualms about a team in New York with a large fan base putting its resources to work. Rather, it's that I don't want each regular season title in the future to feel like a fait accompli, and basically turn each season from "Oh, it'd be great if <whatever> happened!" into "They'd BETTER win with that payroll..."

If I wanted a team that worked like the Yankees, I'd probably just cheer the Yankees.

John Adams: At a stage in life when other men prosper, I'm reduced to living in Philadelphia!
Mike "Doc" Emrick: THEY SCORE! HENRIQUE!! IT'S OVER!!!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2012 2:28 PM

Re: Does MLB have a Yankee problem? 


They need a left fielder..they go get Ichiro at 18 million.

Yankees will continue to see playoff runs simply because they can absorb bad contracts and just make new ones. If someone needs to discard a Beltran, an Ichiro, a Rollins..the Yankees are there with open arms. Thinking the Yankees run stops is being blind. Money is a powerful tool. More money is a weapon. More more money is a guarantee of playoffs for this organization. Is it 17 of 18 years now? If they can't generate a minor leaguer at SS, they'll buy one who's already established.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 8  Next >