Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese)

Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:03 AM

August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


                 @                 

Wind 9 MPH R-L


Mets begin the day 5.5 GB in the Wild Card chase, with chance to make up ground on San Francisco with the start of a four-game series.

               vs.            
Vogelsong                                   Niese

Last edited 8/1/2014 9:07 AM by FIFAstar79

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:06 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


One day at a time, but this would be a fantastic time to break out some brooms. 5.5 back makes it sound better than saying there's 5 teams ahead of the Mets for the 2nd card.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:09 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



throughthewickets wrote: One day at a time, but this would be a fantastic time to break out some brooms. 5.5 back makes it sound better than saying there's 5 teams ahead of the Mets for the 2nd card.

Here are the Wild Card Standings.  At only 2 GB from the Reds, leap-frogging two of those teams wouldn't be difficult.  Mets need to handle it on the field:

San Francisco5850.537+0.5-4-6W17/30 vs PIT, W 7-58/1 @ NYM, 7:10 PMN   203
St. Louis5750.533--4-6W17/31 @ SD, W 6-28/1 vs MIL, 8:15 PMN   205
Atlanta5851.532--4-6L37/31 @ LAD, L 1-28/1 @ SD, 10:10 PMN   204
Pittsburgh5751.5280.5545-5L27/31 @ ARI, L 4-78/1 @ ARI, 9:40 PMN   205
Cincinnati5454.5003.5513-7W17/31 @ MIA, W 3-18/1 @ MIA, 7:10 PMN   205
Miami5355.4914.5507-3L27/31 vs CIN, L 1-38/1 vs CIN, 7:10 PMN   204
NY Mets5256.4815.5496-4W17/30 vs PHI, W 11-28/1 vs SF, 7:10 PM
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:23 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


5.5 out! Time to make a run!


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:25 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


Interesting stat: The Mets are 5.5 out of a WC. This is the closest we've been on August 1st since 2008 when we were only 2.5 out.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:35 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



nyjets2047 wrote: Interesting stat: The Mets are 5.5 out of a WC. This is the closest we've been on August 1st since 2008 when we were only 2.5 out.

My confidence in ATL, PIT, CIN and MIA is pretty fragile.   The biggest difference in the last 21 games for us is we don't have so many black holes in the lineup.  Lagares is back and TDA is ripping the cover off the ball.  We now have five pretty legit hitters in Grandy, Murph, Wright, Duda and TDA.  If Chris Young wakes up from his season-long coma, look out.  All Tejada and Lagares need to do is be serviceable.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:43 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



FIFAstar79 wrote:
nyjets2047 wrote: Interesting stat: The Mets are 5.5 out of a WC. This is the closest we've been on August 1st since 2008 when we were only 2.5 out.

My confidence in ATL, PIT, CIN and MIA is pretty fragile.   The biggest difference in the last 21 games for us is we don't have so many black holes in the lineup.  Lagares is back and TDA is ripping the cover off the ball.  We now have five pretty legit hitters in Grandy, Murph, Wright, Duda and TDA.  If Chris Young wakes up from his season-long coma, look out.  All Tejada and Lagares need to do is be serviceable.
All Tejada has to do is sit on the bench :)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:51 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



metfansrule wrote:
FIFAstar79 wrote:
nyjets2047 wrote: Interesting stat: The Mets are 5.5 out of a WC. This is the closest we've been on August 1st since 2008 when we were only 2.5 out.

My confidence in ATL, PIT, CIN and MIA is pretty fragile.   The biggest difference in the last 21 games for us is we don't have so many black holes in the lineup.  Lagares is back and TDA is ripping the cover off the ball.  We now have five pretty legit hitters in Grandy, Murph, Wright, Duda and TDA.  If Chris Young wakes up from his season-long coma, look out.  All Tejada and Lagares need to do is be serviceable.
All Tejada has to do is sit on the bench :)

As long as we are within striking distance, Flores isn't going to see a lot of time at SS.  With Tejada, you know what you've got.  .650 OPS bat, with above average glove.  Tejada has a +4.0 defensive WAR this season.

Last edited 8/1/2014 9:52 AM by FIFAstar79

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:53 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



FIFAstar79 wrote:

As long as we are within striking distance, Flores isn't going to see a lot of time at SS.  With Tejada, you know what you've got.  .650 OPS bat, with above average glove.

Sounds very similar to the Mike Bordick/Melvin Mora situation.......albeit on a worse club.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 9:55 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



Walnutz15 wrote:
FIFAstar79 wrote:

As long as we are within striking distance, Flores isn't going to see a lot of time at SS.  With Tejada, you know what you've got.  .650 OPS bat, with above average glove.

Sounds very similar to the Mike Bordick/Melvin Mora situation.......albeit on a worse club.

I like Flores a lot, but can't have two butchers heading up the middle IF when you are trying to make a last second run at things.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 10:01 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



FIFAstar79 wrote:
Walnutz15 wrote:
FIFAstar79 wrote:

As long as we are within striking distance, Flores isn't going to see a lot of time at SS.  With Tejada, you know what you've got.  .650 OPS bat, with above average glove.

Sounds very similar to the Mike Bordick/Melvin Mora situation.......albeit on a worse club.

I like Flores a lot, but can't have two butchers heading up the middle IF when you are trying to make a last second run at things.
That's fine, but it's not like they haven't had their shots early to get a much better look at him - while Tejada's done nothing special.  You have a lot more faith in this team than I do.

If nothing else, I'd hope they plan on giving him extended reps by September call-ups.  Thinking it'll be his audition to attract teams (as part of a package) on the winter trade market.  The way it's shaping up (Murph extension?) - he's got no real role here.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/1/2014 10:39 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


he had no real role here as soon as we extended DW.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 10:45 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


I beg to differ, considering the Mets were literally playing with no actual back-up MIF option for awhile this year. He's likely no worse than Murphy is at 2B - and could certainly have been afforded more time in a "split-time" scenario with Tejada at SS (since they loved talking about "wanting to see more of him at SS" - instead letting him rot on the bench).

Not like either of these players couldn't afford to have been given a day off here and there, along the way - especially since we're always talking about Murphy "looking tired" or attempting to attribute certain miscues to having to play (almost literally) every day.

I'm not even someone who feels that Flores is a gangbuster-candidate. Just saw this coming - even with ample opportunity to play him more, at less crucial points in time.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 10:58 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



Walnutz15 wrote: That's fine, but it's not like they haven't had their shots early to get a much better look at him - while Tejada's done nothing special.  You have a lot more faith in this team than I do.


A little more, yes, but I think I'm being realistic too.  We don't need Tejada to set the world on fire so long as Grandy, Murph, Wright, Duda and TDA continue hitting well.  What we've got today is what we've got today and Flores isn't going to out-produce Tejada enough at the plate to make up for his likely negative defensive WAR at a premium defensive position like SS. 

I would give this team about a 5% chance of nabbing the last Wild Card.  If anything else we make that run and we probably fall short, BUT it will be at least somewhat entertaining.  And I disagree that we haven't been able to watch Flores get reps at short, because he's been getting reps in Vegas most of the season.

Last edited 8/1/2014 11:04 AM by FIFAstar79

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 11:05 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



FIFAstar79 wrote:

And I disagree that we haven't been able to watch Flores get reps at short, because he's been getting reps in Vegas most of the season.
That's true.  Considering it was deemed pretty wild at the start of the Spring, when mentioned.  However, I've just been ready to move on from Tejada from over a calendar year ago - so it's something that paints my perception.

When viewed as nothing more than an 8 hitter, Tejada's Tejada.  I just feel he brings nothing to the table, other than a decent glove.  It's not like he's even got an ounce of speed, to like on that front.....so, noidea

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 8/1/2014 11:06 AM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 11:52 AM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


With the Giants losers of 6 of 7, this 4 game series has me a little worried. Hopefully the Giants wait for a bounce back series after they leave NY. In any event, this team is going to have to be "on" for these 4 games and missteps will have to be kept to a minimum. The Giants are better than what they have done these past 7 games.

5.5 out of the W/C. It's getting closer to make or break...

Then again, what I consider a bad Philly team is only 2 games behind us.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 12:02 PM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



EddyBarzoon wrote: With the Giants losers of 6 of 7, this 4 game series has me a little worried. Hopefully the Giants wait for a bounce back series after they leave NY. In any event, this team is going to have to be "on" for these 4 games and missteps will have to be kept to a minimum. The Giants are better than what they have done these past 7 games.>


This is the second major slide for SF this season.  Question will be, do we catch them at the end of that slide or at the beginning of their rebound.  Streaky team, SF..

Last edited 8/1/2014 12:03 PM by FIFAstar79

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 12:26 PM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 


Meaningful games in August, wow!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 1:13 PM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



FIFAstar79 wrote:
EddyBarzoon wrote: With the Giants losers of 6 of 7, this 4 game series has me a little worried. Hopefully the Giants wait for a bounce back series after they leave NY. In any event, this team is going to have to be "on" for these 4 games and missteps will have to be kept to a minimum. The Giants are better than what they have done these past 7 games.>


This is the second major slide for SF this season.  Question will be, do we catch them at the end of that slide or at the beginning of their rebound.  Streaky team, SF..
Just 1 game at a time. That's essentially how I'm looking at it. Is there a better feel today than 2 months ago? Absolutely. Is that going to translate into meaningful September games? I have no clue. Part of me says yes and part of me wouldn't be surprised to see the Phillies pass us at some point. That's how this team has gone for 4 years. Flip a coin.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/1/2014 1:24 PM

Re: August 1st, 2014 GDT: Giants @ Mets (Vogelsong v. Niese) 



EddyBarzoon wrote:
FIFAstar79 wrote:
EddyBarzoon wrote: With the Giants losers of 6 of 7, this 4 game series has me a little worried. Hopefully the Giants wait for a bounce back series after they leave NY. In any event, this team is going to have to be "on" for these 4 games and missteps will have to be kept to a minimum. The Giants are better than what they have done these past 7 games.>


This is the second major slide for SF this season.  Question will be, do we catch them at the end of that slide or at the beginning of their rebound.  Streaky team, SF..
Just 1 game at a time. That's essentially how I'm looking at it. Is there a better feel today than 2 months ago? Absolutely. Is that going to translate into meaningful September games? I have no clue. Part of me says yes and part of me wouldn't be surprised to see the Phillies pass us at some point. That's how this team has gone for 4 years. Flip a coin.

I get where you are coming from, but this team isn't like 2012 or 2013's.  Not nearly as much offense available in the lineup, not nearly as deep in the rotation and the pen.  I too am one game at a time.  I actually think neither will happen.  We won't get a WC, but the Phils aren't passing us either.   Still have us ending up around 81-81 to finish out the year.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >