Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >

Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin)

Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 10:11 AM

Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


NEW YORK -- With Thursday's 4 p.m.non-waiver trade deadline rapidly approaching, team insiders tell ESPNNewYork.com that it is very likely no activity occurs involving the Mets.

At this point, the lone subtraction the Mets could still make appears to be Bartolo Colon. And a source indicated there is nothing that suggests a deal will occur.

A team insider said the Mets have nothing brewing in terms of acquiring a shortstop.

There is one "intriguing" scenario in which the Mets could acquire an outfielder who would remain under control at least through 2015. But the source suggested that is even less likely to materialize than trading Colon. The source said it was too sensitive, and probably premature, to identify the player or team right now.

One plugged-in source told ESPNNewYork.com that if a deal were going to happen by Thursday at 4 p.m., something very likely would have been in a more significant stage by now. Still, the source did not want to 100 percent dismiss any activity materializing because teams could put together a deal in a matter of hours if they suddenly got motivated.

The bottom line, though: There is no evidence right now that a trade will materialize involving the Mets.


http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yo...-deadline-nears

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 11:12 AM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


Part of this is just the Outfielders available.   Dodgers would love to dump Kemp, but we really don't match up in a trade,  Dodgers want to win a championship, outside of Colon, who they don't want, none of our players really scream championship this year.

CarGo could be had, but he's in the middle of his worst season as a big leaguer, and with that contract, my guess is the Rockies will ask for Tulowitzki like value back for someone who doesn't have that kind of value.

As for Colon, no one seems interested in a 41 year old with his contract for next season.  I know there was some speculation at one point that we might put him on Waivers and let him go for free in August just to clear the payroll for the offseason.

The dreaded sig of doom has chosen future hall of famer Jason Heyward as its target.

May the baseball gods have mercy on your soul!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 12:24 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



Walnutz15 wrote: NEW YORK -- With Thursday's 4 p.m.non-waiver trade deadline rapidly approaching, team insiders tell ESPNNewYork.com that it is very likely no activity occurs involving the Mets.

At this point, the lone subtraction the Mets could still make appears to be Bartolo Colon. And a source indicated there is nothing that suggests a deal will occur.

A team insider said the Mets have nothing brewing in terms of acquiring a shortstop.

There is one "intriguing" scenario in which the Mets could acquire an outfielder who would remain under control at least through 2015. But the source suggested that is even less likely to materialize than trading Colon. The source said it was too sensitive, and probably premature, to identify the player or team right now.

One plugged-in source told ESPNNewYork.com that if a deal were going to happen by Thursday at 4 p.m., something very likely would have been in a more significant stage by now. Still, the source did not want to 100 percent dismiss any activity materializing because teams could put together a deal in a matter of hours if they suddenly got motivated.

The bottom line, though: There is no evidence right now that a trade will materialize involving the Mets.


http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yo...-deadline-nears
An OF under control at least until 2015?  Stanton? Stanton is under control thru 2016.  Hmm! Okay I give up, its Marlon Byrd. Gerardo Parra?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 12:33 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



AUDIT wrote:

An OF under control at least until 2015?  Stanton? Stanton is under control thru 2016.  Hmm! Okay I give up, its Marlon Byrd. Gerardo Parra?

Alex Rios..........blech.

2014: $12.5 million,
2015: $13.5 million club option ($1 million buyout),
2016: Free Agent

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 1:20 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



Walnutz15 wrote:
AUDIT wrote:

An OF under control at least until 2015?  Stanton? Stanton is under control thru 2016.  Hmm! Okay I give up, its Marlon Byrd. Gerardo Parra?

Alex Rios..........blech.

2014: $12.5 million,
2015: $13.5 million club option ($1 million buyout),
2016: Free Agent
David DeJesus, it's destiny.

2014: $4.25 million,
2015: $5 million,
2016: $5 million team option, $1 million buyout
Reply | Quote
  • nyc33
  • All Star
  • 634 posts this site

Posted: 7/30/2014 1:25 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


I sure hope the mets can finally add legit bats to the offense in tulo/ stanton. And that it is not all a smokescreen that ends in the same result for mets fans....status quo. I would certainly be willing to package prospects from our surplus of starting pitching for a top notch hitter.

As far as colon, i would def gauge the dodgers interest in him if we could do an exchange for joc pederson. I am sure it would be colon + prospect. I would see if they would take a ynoa or flores as second piece. Pederson seems super talented and seems ready for majors.. And if pederson was real deal it would allow to be patient with nimmo/conforto or even add them in deal for a tulo/stanton. Along with syndegard+ plawecki.not all our prospects will materialize into surefire quality players so i think we are about due to make a strike at a impact bat from our pitching surplus.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 1:38 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


What's this now 7 years in a row without any deadline trading. Not that I'm advocating anything stupid, it would just be nice to add some pop to this team. Something to look forward to this year and beyond.

"
It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/30/2014 1:47 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



Metforlife wrote: What's this now 7 years in a row without any deadline trading. Not that I'm advocating anything stupid, it would just be nice to add some pop to this team. Something to look forward to this year and beyond.
That's the point.  Most of the players traded at the deadline are players who are free agents after the season.  The players the Mets want are more likely to be traded in the offseason.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 1:47 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


The Dodgers have Kershaw, Greinke, and Ryu. Would Colon even be a significant upgrade over Beckett? Colon for Pederson sounds insane. That would make Sandy's other trades seem like bad deals for the Mets.

Last edited 7/30/2014 1:48 PM by throughthewickets

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/30/2014 2:02 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



Metforlife wrote: What's this now 7 years in a row without any deadline trading. Not that I'm advocating anything stupid, it would just be nice to add some pop to this team. Something to look forward to this year and beyond.
They traded Beltran for Wheeler in 2011.  So 3 years ago.  They also traded away K-Rod around that time.

Last year they traded for EYJ, and they traded Byrd/Buck and got Herrera out of it.

What kinds of trades are you looking for, exactly?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 2:04 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



minkusdominkus wrote:
Metforlife wrote: What's this now 7 years in a row without any deadline trading. Not that I'm advocating anything stupid, it would just be nice to add some pop to this team. Something to look forward to this year and beyond.
They traded Beltran for Wheeler in 2011.  So 3 years ago.  They also traded away K-Rod around that time.

Last year they traded for EYJ, and they traded Byrd/Buck and got Herrera out of it.

What kinds of trades are you looking for, exactly?
I think he's looking  for a trade that improves the mlb roster. EY was way earlier than the trade deadline.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/30/2014 2:10 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



throughthewickets wrote:
minkusdominkus wrote:
Metforlife wrote: What's this now 7 years in a row without any deadline trading. Not that I'm advocating anything stupid, it would just be nice to add some pop to this team. Something to look forward to this year and beyond.
They traded Beltran for Wheeler in 2011.  So 3 years ago.  They also traded away K-Rod around that time.

Last year they traded for EYJ, and they traded Byrd/Buck and got Herrera out of it.

What kinds of trades are you looking for, exactly?
I think he's looking  for a trade that improves the mlb roster. EY was way earlier than the trade deadline.
It's been almost 7 years since the Mets were in any kind of a competitive situation at the trade deadline.  Why would they make a trade to improve the MLB roster when they are going to miss the playoffs anyway?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 2:14 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


I'm just explaining what I think he meant and how your answer did not really apply to the point he was trying to make. That's not to say I agree with him.

I do think the Mets could have been more competitive from 2010-2014, and in 2008 they could have used a deadline upgrade. 2009 was just a totally lost season. To be more competitive from 2010 through 2014, though, I think the offseason moves were the things in question, not so much the mid-season trades.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/30/2014 3:04 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


I am a believer that the post-non-waiver deadline is where more of the action lies in MLB 2014 and beyond.......but it's kind of lame that the Mets are not trying to mix it up a little bit.    Maybe SA is convincing the Wilpon's that the Cuban OFer is worth spending some cash on......so they don't feel like making any current move.    


Still........kind of lame.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/30/2014 4:41 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



JeffHostetlerFan wrote: I am a believer that the post-non-waiver deadline is where more of the action lies in MLB 2014 and beyond.......but it's kind of lame that the Mets are not trying to mix it up a little bit.    Maybe SA is convincing the Wilpon's that the Cuban OFer is worth spending some cash on......so they don't feel like making any current move.    


Still........kind of lame.
Of those rumored to  be available, who should the Mets trade for?  I believe the Mets will be sellers if the right deal comes along.  They would gladly move Colon, Murphy, the Youngs,, and other veterans if the price is right.  SA did trade away Beltran and Byrd in recent years, but he wants something of value in return, which he got in both of those trades.

It would be extremely foolish for the Mets to trade prospects for a player only under control through this year or even only through 2015.  As I said in another thread, the type of players the Mets need to acquire are usually dealt in the offseason, not at the July trade deadline.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/30/2014 5:00 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



omnimetfan wrote:
JeffHostetlerFan wrote: I am a believer that the post-non-waiver deadline is where more of the action lies in MLB 2014 and beyond.......but it's kind of lame that the Mets are not trying to mix it up a little bit.    Maybe SA is convincing the Wilpon's that the Cuban OFer is worth spending some cash on......so they don't feel like making any current move.    


Still........kind of lame.
Of those rumored to  be available, who should the Mets trade for?  I believe the Mets will be sellers if the right deal comes along.  They would gladly move Colon, Murphy, the Youngs,, and other veterans if the price is right.  SA did trade away Beltran and Byrd in recent years, but he wants something of value in return, which he got in both of those trades.

It would be extremely foolish for the Mets to trade prospects for a player only under control through this year or even only through 2015.  As I said in another thread, the type of players the Mets need to acquire are usually dealt in the offseason, not at the July trade deadline.

I disagree......why should this team wait any longer to add a solid bat at a non-premium FA contract?   What more do they need to see before making a plunge?     Unless the Mets plan on diving in and spending on a Nelson Cruz over the offseason.....and I'm not sure how good that will feel.....there will be many skeptics.       David Wright and Granderson aren't going to get any younger.    At some point Murph becomes expensive.     It's really not that far off.    The Mets farm system still does not have anyone that is projected to take their respective places in the near-term.     If they are lucky one or two will be ready to rock by 2016.   


I guess I don't see many FA's on the board that will come at a reasonable price on offense that will immediately help this upcoming offseason.    Except perhaps at SS.    I don't really know what the Mets are thinking there.     If they have a clear plan to get aggressive and go after one of the SS's available in the 2014 offseason, then I don't think one could be as critical of SA not being slightly aggressive this season.    The direction of the budget size is hard to project.     


Again, for a GM group that is amongst the top paid in MLB.........it's hard to understand why they can't craft a trade that could help their lineup in 2014.....and/or why they haven't diagnosed their issues there.    They have made a handful of excellent trades.    They've also made some dubious signing decisions.    They continue to be on watch.   


I still would be curious to see what Texas would ask for in exchange for Rios and Andrus.   I would also engage Colorado about CarGo.    CarGo feels less good.......Stanton would feel less bad as a target if the Mets could guarantee that they'd sign him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/30/2014 6:03 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


Improving this team will probably involve getting a power corner outfielder. Not a fan of CarGo. Splits are attrocious but he has a reasonable contract! I am not sure I would want to trade away our farm system for him.

Would rather see this team get one of the Cuban free agents (prefer Yasmani Tomas). The guy is 23 years old; is considered a good defensive left fielder and has a ton of power. Probably a .270/ .325/ .510 type of hitter. 5 years $45 Million probably gets it done.

As for shortstop; lets go get JJ Hardy even though he has had a down year (what happened to the power)?. He is an excellent fielder with some pop in his bat! His splits indicate that his stats arent a creation of Camden yards. How about 3 years $28 Million forJJ?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 6:38 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 


I'll be really surprised if the do anything before 2015 more than move Colon and possibly Murphy, acquire a stop gap LF for 2015, and upgrade at SS.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 6:51 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 





---------------------------------------------
--- throughthewickets wrote:

I'll be really surprised if the do anything before 2015 more than move Colon and possibly Murphy, acquire a stop gap LF for 2015, and upgrade at SS.

---------------------------------------------

I think we should have been interested in selling off a role player or 2. EYJ could be traded for room on the international pool, maybe for like 300k. That gets you a pretty good Latin American prospect that you don't have to put on the 40 man. Or, you could equate it to about third round money for a draftee. Maybe like 200k for Abreau.
Mets trade away reigning CY Young award winner.
Still have the best pitcher in Baseball.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/30/2014 7:04 PM

Re: Mets Remain Quiet As Deadline Nears (Rubin) 



nyc33 wrote: I sure hope the mets can finally add legit bats to the offense in tulo/ stanton. And that it is not all a smokescreen that ends in the same result for mets fans....status quo. I would certainly be willing to package prospects from our surplus of starting pitching for a top notch hitter.

As far as colon, i would def gauge the dodgers interest in him if we could do an exchange for joc pederson. I am sure it would be colon + prospect. I would see if they would take a ynoa or flores as second piece. Pederson seems super talented and seems ready for majors.. And if pederson was real deal it would allow to be patient with nimmo/conforto or even add them in deal for a tulo/stanton. Along with syndegard+ plawecki.not all our prospects will materialize into surefire quality players so i think we are about due to make a strike at a impact bat from our pitching surplus.
As much as I like Stanton (who doesn't) it would cost probably 3 of our top 5 prospects, and he's under control for 3 more years. Then, at the age of 27 or 28, he would command a $200-$250 million contract which the Mets would never pay. So you have to ask yourself, are you willing to lose something like Syndergaard+Matz+Nimmo+Rosario for a guy you will have 3 and only 3 years?
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >