Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >

Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins

Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 8:35 PM

Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


LaTroy Hawkins agrees to one year, 2.5 million deal with the # Rockies to be their closer



Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 8:46 PM

Re: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


He's going to be tough to replace, but part of me thinks 2013 will prove to be the last productive season of his career.  I wouldn't have minded if we re-signed him, even for $2.5M, but I'm not exactly devastated we didn't.    

We're probably better off inviting a bunch of Hawkins candidates and hoping one of them sticks.  Paying for past production, especially when dealing with players Hawkins' age, is typically results in disappointment if not complete failure.

Last edited 11/18/2013 8:47 PM by DocK16

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:02 PM

Re: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


Hawkins seemed from all reports like he really wanted to resign here. To me, it means SA wasn't willing to match the $2.5M he got. If true, it's not the end of the world, but it's a bit puzzling.

"Seen It All"

loyal_Jues (IG)

Last edited 11/18/2013 9:02 PM by Gstacks177

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:07 PM

Re: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


Hard to judge without knowing what our 2014 BP looks like.   Seemed like a leader.

Maybe Mulder scared him out of NY?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:08 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


The Mets are so broke lol. We couldn't give him a $1.5M raise for the stellar season he had? Wow. It's not like our pen is filled with quality arms or anything.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:12 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


Really, we aren't re-signing him?

What is going on?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:15 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



EddyBarzoon wrote: Really, we aren't re-signing him?

What is going on?

Maybe we decided depending on a 41 year old isn't in our best interests?  Every move or lack thereof isn't a crisis.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:21 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


He was just so sharp as year wound down. He was throwing darts....with precision.

If Sandy wanted him....this may not be a bad thing.

He's not going to lose them all....and be humiliated. More important pursuits coming up.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:24 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



YoungStuna wrote: The Mets are so broke lol. We couldn't give him a $1.5M raise for the stellar season he had? Wow. It's not like our pen is filled with quality arms or anything.

I hope you were being sarcastic. I think the fact that he will be the closer for the Rockies may have been the deciding factor.  Actually, I think the bullpen is the least of the Mets worries.  They do have lots of quality arms.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:31 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


I'm being dead serious. I'm convinced this team has very little money to spend. This was all about the money, nothing to do with being closer.

The Mets showed "interest" in Hawkins, but they weren't close in negotiations. Probably wanted him on another minor league deal. This team isn't instilling any confidence in the fanbase by letting guys like Hawkins go for this little amount of $$. If he signed for $4-5M or for more than one year, I could see passing on him easily. He was terrific with us, and very reliable. He would have been a nice veteran presence in the pen for our younger, unproven arms.

Last edited 11/18/2013 9:33 PM by YoungStuna

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:32 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 




---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote: Really, we aren't re-signing him?

What is going on?

Maybe we decided depending on a 41 year old isn't in our best interests?  Every move or lack thereof isn't a crisis.

---------------------------------------------

On a one year deal? There's already enough holes elsewhere. Seemed like a no brainer to bring him back for 1.

No crisis, but more puffs of smoke coming from the teepee.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:36 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



EddyBarzoon wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote: Really, we aren't re-signing him?

What is going on?

Maybe we decided depending on a 41 year old isn't in our best interests?  Every move or lack thereof isn't a crisis.

---------------------------------------------

On a one year deal? There's already enough holes elsewhere. Seemed like a no brainer to bring him back for 1.

No crisis, but more puffs of smoke coming from the teepee.

Just because a guy has a good year doesn't mean he should be re-signed.  Yes, $2.5M seems reasonable and in the grand scheme it's nothing, but Hawkins is no sure thing and there's no reason we can't find another undervalued gem for considerably less.

Doesn't signal any kind of smoke, just a different approach than your own.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:37 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



omnimetfan wrote:
YoungStuna wrote: The Mets are so broke lol. We couldn't give him a $1.5M raise for the stellar season he had? Wow. It's not like our pen is filled with quality arms or anything.

I hope you were being sarcastic. I think the fact that he will be the closer for the Rockies may have been the deciding factor.  Actually, I think the bullpen is the least of the Mets worries.  They do have lots of quality arms.
Agreed.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:42 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 




---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote: Really, we aren't re-signing him?

What is going on?

Maybe we decided depending on a 41 year old isn't in our best interests?  Every move or lack thereof isn't a crisis.

---------------------------------------------

On a one year deal? There's already enough holes elsewhere. Seemed like a no brainer to bring him back for 1.

No crisis, but more puffs of smoke coming from the teepee.

Just because a guy has a good year doesn't mean he should be re-signed.  Yes, $2.5M seems reasonable and in the grand scheme it's nothing, but Hawkins is no sure thing and there's no reason we can't find another undervalued gem for considerably less.

Doesn't signal any kind of smoke, just a different approach than your own.

---------------------------------------------

"there's no reason we can't find another undervalued gem"

You make it sound real easy...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:43 PM

Re: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 


TC: LaTroy does not like to close

That was only August 9th. I doubt his feelings changed so quickly. This was all about the money.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:44 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



YoungStuna wrote: I'm being dead serious. I'm convinced this team has very little money to spend. This was all about the money, nothing to do with being closer.

It does certainly appear that way.  I think that is why Ike is the 1st basemen being peddled instead of Duda is also proof of the money constraints.  I am sticking with 75 mil as the 2014 payroll.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:44 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



EddyBarzoon wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote: Really, we aren't re-signing him?

What is going on?

Maybe we decided depending on a 41 year old isn't in our best interests?  Every move or lack thereof isn't a crisis.

---------------------------------------------

On a one year deal? There's already enough holes elsewhere. Seemed like a no brainer to bring him back for 1.

No crisis, but more puffs of smoke coming from the teepee.

Just because a guy has a good year doesn't mean he should be re-signed.  Yes, $2.5M seems reasonable and in the grand scheme it's nothing, but Hawkins is no sure thing and there's no reason we can't find another undervalued gem for considerably less.

Doesn't signal any kind of smoke, just a different approach than your own.

---------------------------------------------

"there's no reason we can't find another undervalued gem"

You make it sound real easy...

It's not, but just because giving Hawkins $2.5M sounds easy doesn't mean it'll result in a smoother ride.  What exactly is the track record for 41-year-olds these days?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:45 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



EddyBarzoon wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


EddyBarzoon wrote: Really, we aren't re-signing him?

What is going on?

Maybe we decided depending on a 41 year old isn't in our best interests?  Every move or lack thereof isn't a crisis.

---------------------------------------------

On a one year deal? There's already enough holes elsewhere. Seemed like a no brainer to bring him back for 1.

No crisis, but more puffs of smoke coming from the teepee.

Just because a guy has a good year doesn't mean he should be re-signed.  Yes, $2.5M seems reasonable and in the grand scheme it's nothing, but Hawkins is no sure thing and there's no reason we can't find another undervalued gem for considerably less.

Doesn't signal any kind of smoke, just a different approach than your own.

---------------------------------------------

"there's no reason we can't find another undervalued gem"

You make it sound real easy...
Some people will defend this FO/organization at all costs. I tell it how I see it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:47 PM

Re: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



YoungStuna wrote: TC: LaTroy does not like to close

That was only August 9th. I doubt his feelings changed so quickly. This was all about the money.
Reading the article, it sounds like he wasn't comfortable changing roles mid-season.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/18/2013 9:49 PM

RE: Rockies sign LaTroy Hawkins 



YoungStuna wrote: I'm being dead serious. I'm convinced this team has very little money to spend. This was all about the money, nothing to do with being closer.

The Mets showed "interest" in Hawkins, but they weren't close in negotiations. Probably wanted him on another minor league deal. This team isn't instilling any confidence in the fanbase by letting guys like Hawkins go for this little amount of $$. If he signed for $4-5M or for more than one year, I could see passing on him easily. He was terrific with us, and very reliable. He would have been a nice veteran presence in the pen for our younger, unproven arms.

Maybe they just weren't that interested?  Hawkins isn't going to instill a ton of confidence in anybody anyway.  We could've signed him and the same people criticizing in this thread would've said "now go out and do something meaningful". 

Paying for past performance is a terrible approach.  That he was terrific for us doesn't really mean anything.  Performance from relievers is incredibly volatile and Hawkins is about to turn 41.  Doesn't get more unpredictable than that.

This has very little to do with money imo, at least not to the extent that the Mets don't plan to spend any.  What it tells me is they think they can replace Hawkins for next to nothing and would rather spend their budget on players they can't acquire for next to nothing.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >