Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Post New Topic
  Page of 100  Next >

Around the Majors: Sox Extend Pedroia (7-Yrs, $100MM)

Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 8:47 PM

Around the Majors: Sox Extend Pedroia (7-Yrs, $100MM) 


The 2013 season is underway.

Tex at Houston.

Last edited 7/23/2013 1:43 PM by Walnutz15

Posted: 3/31/2013 9:14 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 


To me, the season doesn't begin until the Mets play.
Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 10:13 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 


Luhnow seems pretty sharp.  The Astros appear to be in good hands.

The tandem pitching concept he just spoke about is pretty interesting.

Last edited 3/31/2013 10:14 PM by DocK16

Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 10:22 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



DocK16 wrote: Luhnow seems pretty sharp.  The Astros appear to be in good hands.

The tandem pitching concept he just spoke about is pretty interesting.
Missed it.  Watching Vikings.  Can you fill a fella in? Pause.
Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 10:29 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



dondada10 wrote:
DocK16 wrote: Luhnow seems pretty sharp.  The Astros appear to be in good hands.

The tandem pitching concept he just spoke about is pretty interesting.
Missed it.  Watching Vikings.  Can you fill a fella in? Pause.

Basically the Astros have opted to pool together the bulk of the minor league pitchers, anyone they feel has even a remote chance of starting, and they're going to create 8 man rotations at each level.  Those 8 SP will pitch in tandems with one guy throwing 75 pitches and then the other throwing 60.  Then four days later they'll swap.  

According to Luhnow, they plan on going with these tandems for at least the first month or two of the season.  Then, those pitchers who have shown the best ability to start will be used primarily as SP and stretched out while those best suited for the pen will assume bullpen roles.

It's definitely different.  It'll be interesting to see how it works in practice.

Evidently the Astros are now one of the most statistically savvy organizations in baseball.  That definitely wasn't the case under Ed Wade.  Luhnow also spoke about rebuilding primarily from within.  Seems like a sharp guy.  Big on stats.  So of course I like him.  biggrin

I like that he and the Astros aren't throwing around money just because they have it.  He was very clear that the team is going to build from within, and it's obvious from their actions this off-season that they aren't going to try to accelerate the building process by throwing the fans a bone or two with notable FA signings.

Last edited 3/31/2013 10:32 PM by DocK16

Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 10:31 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



DocK16 wrote:
dondada10 wrote:
DocK16 wrote: Luhnow seems pretty sharp.  The Astros appear to be in good hands.

The tandem pitching concept he just spoke about is pretty interesting.
Missed it.  Watching Vikings.  Can you fill a fella in? Pause.

Basically the Astros have opted to pool together the bulk of the minor league pitchers, anyone they feel has even a remote chance of starting, and they're going to create 8 man rotations at each level.  Those 8 SP will pitch in tandems with one guy throwing 75 pitches and then the other throwing 60.  Then four days later they'll swap.  

According to Luhnow, they plan on going with these tandems for at least the first month or two of the season.  Then, those pitchers who have shown the best ability to start will be used primarily as SP and stretched out while those best suited for the pen will assume bullpen roles.

It's definitely different.  It'll be interesting to see how it works in practice.

Evidently the Astros are now one of the most statistically savvy organizations in baseball.  That definitely wasn't the case under Ed Wade.  Luhnow also spoke about rebuilding primarily from within.  Seems like a sharp guy.  Big on stats.  So of course I like him. biggrin
Thank you, bro.  Pretty different.  My likey, too.
Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 11:14 PM

RE: Around the Majors...The season begins 


And yet, even with all of their fancy schmancy statistics, they're going to be a last place team! A calculator doesn't win games.
Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 11:32 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



omnimetfan wrote: To me, the season doesn't begin until the Mets play.
And it doesn't really begin until a Met reliever blows a late lead and we all come on here to trash him. tongue


17 & 14 = Best Duo In NY Sports
Avatar

Posted: 3/31/2013 11:37 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 


but they've decided to traded away everything that isn't nailed down, not only players who could bring in an elite prospect.  they've def gone all in on the rebuild and everyone knows it.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson

Posted: 4/1/2013 12:04 AM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 


I dont think i've ever seen in my lifetime an "established" organization (basically a non-expansion team) do a rebuild like this.....completely, 100% from the absolute rock bottom up. It's interesting to watch from a baseball fan's view, atleast to me. They basically have the talent of an expansion team right now (and you can easily argue that some expansion teams from years past had more talent at the start, on the major league roster). 

With all that said, I like it. They seem to have good handle on how to build it. I like the stats apporach, mixed with the scouting. Good luck to them.
Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 12:55 AM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 


TEX and E. Andrus close to a 8 yr, $120M ext.

eek

ESPN.
Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 1:21 AM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 


... what the Hell is Texas doing?
Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 1:22 AM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



Gstacks177 wrote: TEX and E. Andrus close to a 8 yr, $120M ext.

eek

ESPN.
eek
Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 4:06 AM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



Gstacks177 wrote: TEX and E. Andrus close to a 8 yr, $120M ext.

eek

ESPN.
they think he's really good.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 4:58 AM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



RSVandy wrote:
Gstacks177 wrote: TEX and E. Andrus close to a 8 yr, $120M ext.

eek

ESPN.
eek
Told ya.
Mets trade away reigning CY Young award winner.
Still have the best pitcher in Baseball.
Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 6:34 AM

RE: Around the Majors...The season begins 


If this is true they are going to trade profar and olt for Stanton I bet.
_______________________________________________________________________________

"No more questions for you bro!.....TROLL" - Russell Westbrook

"I don't want to be categorized." - Colin Kaepernick

Last edited 4/1/2013 6:35 AM by thethe

Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 8:34 AM

RE: Around the Majors...The season begins 


Thought I'd enter this thread to see some in-game updates on Fernando Martinez. Alas, he's on the D.L.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Avatar

Posted: 4/1/2013 9:10 AM

RE: Around the Majors...The season begins 



Walnutz15 wrote: Thought I'd enter this thread to see some in-game updates on Fernando Martinez. Alas, he's on the D.L.
I guess Ripken's streak is safe.

By the way, for all the grief here over losing FMart to the Astros for nothing, ask a Yankees fan their thoughts this morning on Justin Maxwell...

Last edited 4/1/2013 9:13 AM by NYMethuselah

Posted: 4/1/2013 12:20 PM

RE: Around the Majors...The season begins 


Maybe the Mets can parlay Jon Niese's stellar first half with Profar's struggles in AAA into deadline trade?

Posted: 4/1/2013 12:20 PM

Re: Around the Majors...The season begins 



m8644 wrote: I dont think i've ever seen in my lifetime an "established" organization (basically a non-expansion team) do a rebuild like this.....completely, 100% from the absolute rock bottom up. It's interesting to watch from a baseball fan's view, atleast to me. They basically have the talent of an expansion team right now (and you can easily argue that some expansion teams from years past had more talent at the start, on the major league roster). 

With all that said, I like it. They seem to have good handle on how to build it. I like the stats apporach, mixed with the scouting. Good luck to them.
Looking at today's salaries, and then looking at the Oakland A's, I don't blame the 'Stros for doing the "home grown" thing.
Post New Topic
  Page of 100  Next >