Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Nieuwenhuis: Will Play MiL Game "Mon. or Wed."

Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 9:13 AM

Nieuwenhuis: Will Play MiL Game "Mon. or Wed." 


Kirk Nieuwenhuis will undergo an MRI on his bruised left knee Monday morning.

Nieuwenhuis injured the knee Sunday while sliding hard into second base during a Grapefruit League game against the Marlins. "Hopefully it’s just a bad bruise," the outfielder said Sunday evening. "When I went to go take my lead, it just kind of buckled a little bit, but I think the ligaments are OK." The Mets should provide an update at some point Monday night.

Mar 4 - 8:52 AM
Source: Adam Rubin on Twitter


..........while it's easy to throw out there, that "I think the ligaments are OK", Nieuwenhuis isn't a doctor.  Hopefully, all checks out for him this morning with the results of his MRI.

Anything ligament-related, and you'll likely run into a situation where he'll be left in Extended ST.  Interested in seeing how this plays out.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 3/18/2013 11:40 AM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 9:28 AM

Re: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 


Well, its a good thing that they have a lot of outfielders.
Maybe someone like a Juan Legares or Valdespin can Wally Pipp him.

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:18 AM

Re: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



Walnutz15 wrote:
Kirk Nieuwenhuis will undergo an MRI on his bruised left knee Monday morning.

Nieuwenhuis injured the knee Sunday while sliding hard into second base during a Grapefruit League game against the Marlins. "Hopefully it’s just a bad bruise," the outfielder said Sunday evening. "When I went to go take my lead, it just kind of buckled a little bit, but I think the ligaments are OK." The Mets should provide an update at some point Monday night.

Mar 4 - 8:52 AM
Source: Adam Rubin on Twitter


..........while it's easy to throw out there, that "I think the ligaments are OK", Nieuwenhuis isn't a doctor.  Hopefully, all checks out for him this morning with the results of his MRI.

Anything ligament-related, and you'll likely run into a situation where he'll be left in Extended ST.  Interested in seeing how this plays out.
Here's my question...reports on the injury keep saying he bruised it sliding into 2nd, but KN said he felt it buckle when he took his lead. Which one is it? Obviously the latter screams ligaments, while the former could be either.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:25 AM

Re: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



TNice wrote:

Here's my question...reports on the injury keep saying he bruised it sliding into 2nd, but KN said he felt it buckle when he took his lead. Which one is it? Obviously the latter screams ligaments, while the former could be either.

To me, it sounds like a classic ligament situation....and Nieuwenhuis wanted to quell it with the press by initially dismissing it.

Collins said there was "some looseness" around the knee; and situations such as these play out almost to a tee (buckle, pop upon slide) ----- who knows the severity, but I'd be surprised if it's not a (lower-grade, since he was apparently able to put pressure on it) ACL/MCL strain.

.............and I fully admit to not being a doctor - and it being completely speculatory. 

Just something you come across plenty, especially in going all out during ST.  He's been very active in the outfield, and the rare instance he's been on base so far; you know he's going to look to impress so that his Major League roster spot's locked in.

It'd be too bad for Kirk if he did get left behind, because I think den Dekker will ultimately provide a very similar skillset......limited in terms of taking a complete AB, but the same kind of production.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 3/4/2013 10:27 AM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:25 AM

Re: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



TNice wrote:
Walnutz15 wrote:
Kirk Nieuwenhuis will undergo an MRI on his bruised left knee Monday morning.

Nieuwenhuis injured the knee Sunday while sliding hard into second base during a Grapefruit League game against the Marlins. "Hopefully it’s just a bad bruise," the outfielder said Sunday evening. "When I went to go take my lead, it just kind of buckled a little bit, but I think the ligaments are OK." The Mets should provide an update at some point Monday night.

Mar 4 - 8:52 AM
Source: Adam Rubin on Twitter


..........while it's easy to throw out there, that "I think the ligaments are OK", Nieuwenhuis isn't a doctor.  Hopefully, all checks out for him this morning with the results of his MRI.

Anything ligament-related, and you'll likely run into a situation where he'll be left in Extended ST.  Interested in seeing how this plays out.
Here's my question...reports on the injury keep saying he bruised it sliding into 2nd, but KN said he felt it buckle when he took his lead. Which one is it? Obviously the latter screams ligaments, while the former could be either.
what's the point of speculating?  we'll find out what it is in a matter of hours.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:27 AM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 


I'd hate to lose a player, but if Kirk is gone for an extended period, how much of a drop off is there from Kirk to MDD? Probably not much. MDD is a better fielder and his bat can't be that far behind where Kirk's is. I have a feeling Cowgill is going to earn himself more plate appearances than a straight L/R platoon regardless.


17 & 14 = Best Duo In NY Sports
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:27 AM

Re: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



DuffyDyer wrote:
what's the point of speculating?  


More interesting than most stuff that's going on.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:31 AM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



acesfull86 wrote: I'd hate to lose a player, but if Kirk is gone for an extended period, how much of a drop off is there from Kirk to MDD? Probably not much. MDD is a better fielder and his bat can't be that far behind where Kirk's is. I have a feeling Cowgill is going to earn himself more plate appearances than a straight L/R platoon regardless.
well, it would certainly be an opportunity for Cowbell to grab CF and run with it.  I wonder how far his skillset would take him bc he does seem to have the right mental approach to succeed.  I hope that ends up one of 2013's success stories cause RF still looks like it's going to be a mess.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:33 AM

Re: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



DuffyDyer wrote:
TNice wrote:
Walnutz15 wrote:
Kirk Nieuwenhuis will undergo an MRI on his bruised left knee Monday morning.

Nieuwenhuis injured the knee Sunday while sliding hard into second base during a Grapefruit League game against the Marlins. "Hopefully it’s just a bad bruise," the outfielder said Sunday evening. "When I went to go take my lead, it just kind of buckled a little bit, but I think the ligaments are OK." The Mets should provide an update at some point Monday night.

Mar 4 - 8:52 AM
Source: Adam Rubin on Twitter


..........while it's easy to throw out there, that "I think the ligaments are OK", Nieuwenhuis isn't a doctor.  Hopefully, all checks out for him this morning with the results of his MRI.

Anything ligament-related, and you'll likely run into a situation where he'll be left in Extended ST.  Interested in seeing how this plays out.
Here's my question...reports on the injury keep saying he bruised it sliding into 2nd, but KN said he felt it buckle when he took his lead. Which one is it? Obviously the latter screams ligaments, while the former could be either.
what's the point of speculating?  we'll find out what it is in a matter of hours.
...says the guy with nearly 40,000 non-speculative posts. :)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:35 AM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



DuffyDyer wrote:

well, it would certainly be an opportunity for Cowbell to grab CF and run with it.  I wonder how far his skillset would take him bc he does seem to have the right mental approach to succeed.  I hope that ends up one of 2013's success stories cause RF still looks like it's going to be a mess.

I like the "best-case, going-good" version of Cowgill - and hope that the ST version of him translates over a prolonged sample.  However, I do think that many are falling in love a bit quickly.

I have to see him a bit more to formulate a decent opinion on his game.

He'll definitely benefit from a Nieuwenhuis injury....in terms of extended playing time.

Have you read anything about potential trade ST candidates, meaning outfielders? (Obviously, guys like Alfonso Soriano will always be amidst the rumor mill....but anything that might make sense for the Mets to swing a deal?)

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:51 AM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 


Have you read anything about potential trade ST candidates, meaning outfielders? (Obviously, guys like Alfonso Soriano will always be amidst the rumor mill....but anything that might make sense for the Mets to swing a deal?)


no one too exciting.  Casper Wells, Julio Borbon, Jose Tabata, Alex Presley.  The one that does excite me is Alejandro De Aza but I don't know if he's really available.  I keep hearing talk about a kid OFer they have tho, Jared Mitchell, so maybe they'd consider moving De Aza if they got a strong offer.  But since we haven't seen this FO be aggressive in these types of situations where it would take moving a prized young arm, it's hard to imagine anything happening.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 2:26 PM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 


and the diagnosis is......

just a bone bruise and back in action in a week (tho we've all heard similar injury reports in the past wink).
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
  • metjetgal
  • Hall of Famer
  • 3261 posts this site

Posted: 3/4/2013 2:41 PM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



DuffyDyer wrote: and the diagnosis is......

just a bone bruise and back in action in a week (tho we've all heard similar injury reports in the past wink).

lol.

I was on Twitter when it happened, and Martino made it like he lost his leg.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 2:49 PM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



DuffyDyer wrote: and the diagnosis is......

just a bone bruise and back in action in a week (tho we've all heard similar injury reports in the past wink).

Good to hear.  If there wasn't a pop associated with it, then that's a good sign.

Not that Kirk's setting the world ablaze, but I'm rooting for him to show us somethin'.  Hopefully it doesn't hinder him from progressing.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 3:35 PM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 


Like Ike Davis's bone bruise? Or worse?

David Wright is not the problem with this team.
MARIO

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 3:44 PM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 




---------------------------------------------
--- DuffyDyer wrote:

and the diagnosis is......

just a bone bruise and back in action in a week (tho we've all heard similar injury reports in the past wink).

---------------------------------------------

See you in August.


17 & 14 = Best Duo In NY Sports
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 3:45 PM

RE: Nieuwenhuis: MRI Results Show "Bone 


Just chop it off and get it over with!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 7:11 PM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 



acesfull86 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DuffyDyer wrote:

and the diagnosis is......

just a bone bruise and back in action in a week (tho we've all heard similar injury reports in the past wink).

---------------------------------------------

See you in August.
"back in action in a week"   Translated "2014 or bust!" devil
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2013 8:50 AM

RE: Nieuwenhuis (Knee) Will Have MRI This Morning 


Quoted from ESPN:

LAKELAND, Fla. -- The Mets hoped Kirk Nieuwenhuis would be back in a Grapefruit League game Wednesday. Instead, that is now targeted as the first day Nieuwenhuis is scheduled to participate in baseball activity outdoors, Terry Collins indicated.


• Nieuwenhuis, whom the Mets hoped would be ready to return to Grapefruit League action Wednesday, will take a little longer before entering a game. Terry Collins indicated Nieuwenhuis instead should get onto the field and perform baseball activities tomorrow for the first time since suffering a bone bruise on his left knee sliding nine days ago. Daniel Murphy (side muscle) remains on target to enter Grapefruit League action late this week, Collins said. Read more on Murphy in the Post and Nieuwenhuis in the Times.


http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yo...-play-wednesday

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2013 8:57 AM

RE: Nieuwenhuis: MRI Results Show "Bone 


From the NY Times:


PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Outfielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis and the Mets are still targeting Wednesday for his return to outdoor baseball activities.

Nieuwenhuis sustained a deep bone bruise on his left knee while sliding into second base on March 3. Since then he has been limited to running in a pool and walking on a treadmill.

“It’s felt better every day,” Nieuwenhuis said. “Since it’s only been about a week, once I clear that first hurdle, it’ll hopefully be pretty quick for me to get back into games.”


The first hurdle could be Wednesday. Nieuwenhuis said he was cautiously optimistic that he would be able to throw, hit and do a full warm-up and stretch outdoors.

The Mets will have the day off Tuesday. Nieuwenhuis was instructed not to receive any additional treatment and to let his body recover.

His return will be welcome for the Mets, who have had concerns about putting together a productive outfield for the start of the season.



bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03...return-to-mets/

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >