Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 14  Next >

Around The Majors: Thole Optioned to Triple-A

Avatar

Posted: 2/15/2013 1:48 PM

Around The Majors: Thole Optioned to Triple-A 


Reyes

"I was shocked, because Jeffrey Loria, he always told me he's never going to trade me. He always called my agent and said, 'Tell Jose to get a good place here to live.' ” -- Jose Reyes

More fun to be found at:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2...ins-trading-him  


to Absentminded - saw this on the old thread.  Think it's time we start anew.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 3/25/2013 9:47 AM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/15/2013 1:49 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Also on the old thread:

HadronsAtHome wrote:

TAMPA, Fla. -- Kevin Youkilis has two messages for New York Yankees fans: He'll always be a Boston Red Sox, and he'll never be Alex Rodriguez.

Kevin Youkilis arrives at camp

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/15/2013 1:52 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 




HadronsAtHome wrote:

TAMPA, Fla. -- Kevin Youkilis has two messages for New York Yankees fans: He'll always be a Boston Red Sox, and he'll never be Alex Rodriguez.

Kevin Youkilis arrives at camp
http://espn.go.com/new-york/ml...ew-york-yankees

^ Real vet move....

As you can see with the link I posted, he's already had to get in front of the mics again to clarify what he meant. 

(And granted, we all knew exactly what he meant....the media has a field day with this kinda crap.  Welcome to NY!)

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/15/2013 2:05 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Not like he said anything not true.

It's like Michael saying i'll always be a Ranger.

Or Shaq saying i'll always be a Laker.

And so on.

Buster said in a blog if our 3B struggle, he could see Chipper return midseason noidea

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/15/2013 2:08 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 



Heyward4MVP wrote: Not like he said anything not true.

It's like Michael saying i'll always be a Ranger.

Or Shaq saying i'll always be a Laker.

And so on.

Buster said in a blog if our 3B struggle, he could see Chipper return midseason noidea

My nighmare scenario is that David loses faith in our Rebuild, and ops out. Then signs with the Braves in a reunion with the Uptons.  But I was on Chantix when I had this nightmare.
Mets trade away reigning CY Young award winner.
Still have the best pitcher in Baseball.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/15/2013 4:35 PM

Jose Reyes 


Jose Reyes says Marlins owner told him to buy a home in Miami days before he was traded.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/j...-172733587.html

Luria is pure scum.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/15/2013 4:40 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 



VAMetsFan wrote:
Heyward4MVP wrote: Not like he said anything not true.

It's like Michael saying i'll always be a Ranger.

Or Shaq saying i'll always be a Laker.

And so on.

Buster said in a blog if our 3B struggle, he could see Chipper return midseason noidea

My nighmare scenario is that David loses faith in our Rebuild, and ops out. Then signs with the Braves in a reunion with the Uptons.  But I was on Chantix when I had this nightmare.
laugh.gif

Although if I'm really being honest, I was surprised that David decided to stay after some of the ownership ridiculous we'd seen during his tenure (the repeated throwing of players under the bus, the abysmal management of injuries, the constant demonstrations of tone-deafness by ownership, etc.) I'm guessing his desire to be a one-team player won out, and it could have been worse. He could've been playing for the Royals all these years eek


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/15/2013 8:09 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8945988/mil waukee-brewers-ryan-braun-shows-additional-documen t-clinic-linked-major-league-baseball-ped-investig ation


Espn report. Biogenesis document in founder's handwriting lists players and what they owed, as well as whether they paid. This is a different document from the one talked about previously. Listed are ARod ($4500), Melky (cant read amount), Braun ($1500) and Cervelli ($2500) Braun's lawyer has already stated that the money was either extorted or was billed as part of "consulting" re Braun's failed sample last year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 9:17 AM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


DeJesus as trade bait

The Chicago Cubs have let it be known for years that Alfonso Soriano is available, but the $36 million remaining on his contract over the next two seasons remains an obstacle.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says another Cubs outfielder, David DeJesus , could draw serious interest, particularly as a midseason addition. The 33-year-old DeJesus has a $4.25 million salary for this season plus a club option for 2014. The Phillies, Orioles and Red Sox were mentioned as possible fits for DeJesus, who has hit.240 and .263 over the last two seasons. (ESPN Insider)

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 9:18 AM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Finding a home for Lohse

Last week, FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal wrote that right-hander Kyle Lohse was almost certain to sign soon. The operative phrase in that sentence, though, is "last week," because it's now several days later, and Lohse remains a free agent.


At this stage, with spring training underway, time is running out and every single day without a team puts more pressure on the 34-year-old Lohse and agent Scott Boras to get a deal done. As we know all too well by now, Lohse will cost the signing club a first-round draft pick, unless that team drafts in the Top 10 or has already surrendered its pick for signing another free agent tied to a qualifying offer.

One such team?

The Washington Nationals, who lost their selection after inking Rafael Soriano this winter. Funny enough, then, that the Nats have been linked to Lohse in recent weeks, and FanGraphs' Mike Petriello writes for ESPN Insider that Washington would do well to sign Lohse .

The idea behind such a move would be to shift lefty Ross Detwiler from rotation to bullpen, which currently lacks a left-hander following the departures of Sean Burnett , Tom Gorzelanny and Mike Gonzalez . Other teams that have been mentioned as possible fits for Lohse are the St. Louis Cardinals , who are dealing with the recent loss of Chris Carpenter for 2013 (and perhaps beyond), as well as the Baltimore Orioles , Los Angeles Angels and Milwaukee Brewers , each of whom could use a quality mid-rotation arm to bolster their five-mans. ESPN.com's Jim Bowden predicted last week that Lohse will sign with either the Brewers or the Texas Rangers.


(Insider)

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 2/19/2013 9:18 AM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 9:20 AM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Deal for Carp Likely

 

At least a handful of teams have kicked the tires on first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp, who was designated for assignment by the Mariners last week.

Seattle has until Friday to trade Carp, release him or assign him outright to the minor leagues, and GM Jack Zdurencik tells MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy a deal could get done in the next day or two.

McCalvy says the Brewers, who are dealing with injuries at first base to Corey Hart and Mat Gamel, have inquired about Carp, a .213 hitter in 59 games last season. The Twins, Astros and Red Sox have some interest, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

(Insider)

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/19/2013 2:05 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 



Walnutz15 wrote:

Deal for Carp Likely

 

At least a handful of teams have kicked the tires on first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp, who was designated for assignment by the Mariners last week.

Seattle has until Friday to trade Carp, release him or assign him outright to the minor leagues, and GM Jack Zdurencik tells MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy a deal could get done in the next day or two.

McCalvy says the Brewers, who are dealing with injuries at first base to Corey Hart and Mat Gamel, have inquired about Carp, a .213 hitter in 59 games last season. The Twins, Astros and Red Sox have some interest, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

(Insider)

Remember seeing Carp play  1B in Binghamton...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 2:13 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 



Coltny wrote:
Walnutz15 wrote:

Deal for Carp Likely

 

At least a handful of teams have kicked the tires on first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp, who was designated for assignment by the Mariners last week.

Seattle has until Friday to trade Carp, release him or assign him outright to the minor leagues, and GM Jack Zdurencik tells MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy a deal could get done in the next day or two.

McCalvy says the Brewers, who are dealing with injuries at first base to Corey Hart and Mat Gamel, have inquired about Carp, a .213 hitter in 59 games last season. The Twins, Astros and Red Sox have some interest, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

(Insider)

Remember seeing Carp play  1B in Binghamton...
I liked Carp.  Can't recall, whether it was Jacobs or Murphy at the time......but I liked him better than whatever option they decided upon.

Think it may have actually been around the time Delgado was showing absolutely nothing, still with Willie at the helm.  Would have liked to see an Evans/Carp platoon......but we all know what happened, starting with that Bust-out in The Bronx.

Not that Carp's career has amounted to any great shakes, as of yet (still K's a ton) -- but it's not like he was any worse off than the likes of Jacobs, IMHO.

His final cast-off from the Mets coincided with Davis' arrival.  Just always found it interesting that he wasn't a force-fit at a position, yet never truly got a legit chance.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 2/19/2013 2:18 PM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 2:34 PM

Re: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Per Metsblog.....looks like Havens sat out BP today. No exact cause given, but the inference was back problems.

Not really a surprise. noidea
__________________________________



"We've got 5 guys better than this?"
.....Jason Bay watching Matt Harvey throw in March 2012.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 2:36 PM

RE: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Cerrone's going around with a camera again, and people are believing everything he writes. Havens actually took BP....but it's more interesting to write about him looking on from behind a cage.

...............not that Havens has been the model of tip-top health -- but it's not like he's "injured" either (yet ).


Feliciano faced Wilmer Flores, Juan Lagares, Anthony Recker, Wilfredo Tovar and Reese Havens during Tuesday’s abbreviated session. The hitters mostly tracked pitches without swinging.

“It’s surprising I did so well,” Feliciano said. “I thought I would be more wild, or my arm would be tender. But, surprisingly, it was pretty good.”

Said Havens, a lefty hitter: “I haven’t seen him much in the past, so I don’t know what he’s usually like. But I thought he looked pretty good. He was hitting spots. He had some movement. It had a little sink. It was good. He was throwing his sinker.”


http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yo...-mets-tour-no-2

.................we have no idea of their scheduling or group assignments, either -- but it appears that he didn't exactly swing during what sounds like more of a timing drill than actual BP.


Also Havens-related - from last week:

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Reese Havens is past the days of entering Spring Training expecting to be healthy. The former top prospect understands now that he will never quite be 100 percent.

"I'm going to have back problems," Havens said. "It's just, I've learned how to try to stay on top of my back with doing core [workouts] and stretching and stuff. That's just what I've got to do."


Do not mistake that reality check for a lack of confidence. Havens, 26, spent this offseason training at home in South Carolina for the first time since college, focusing on core strength while maintaining a regular regimen of baseball activities. He dabbled with Pilates.

A lesser player may have already retired, considering the endless string of core injuries that plagued Havens since the Mets drafted him four picks after Ike Davis in the first round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft. But the second baseman has hit well when healthy, posting a .978 OPS in '10 and an .828 mark in '11.

Only last year did his production suffer, when Havens' continued back issues resulted in a .691 OPS at Double-A Binghamton.


The second baseman is likely ticketed for Binghamton again to start this year, provided the Mets do not decide to push him to Triple-A Las Vegas -- a more age-appropriate level.


"I'm always optimistic coming in," Havens said.

"Last year, I wasn't able to work out like I did this year and I had some doubts about where my back was at coming in. And I still know I'm going to have to stay on top of it. But just the quality offseason training that I had makes me a little more confident this year than in other years."


http://mlb.mlb.com/news/articl...ym&c_id=nym

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 2/19/2013 2:44 PM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 2:49 PM

RE: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 



Walnutz15 wrote:

Cerrone's going around with a camera again, and people are believing everything he writes. Havens actually took BP....but it's more interesting to write about him looking on from behind a cage.

Got it. The piece was kinda misleading...the clear inference was that he was sitting out.
__________________________________



"We've got 5 guys better than this?"
.....Jason Bay watching Matt Harvey throw in March 2012.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 2:58 PM

RE: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 



Kooos wrote:
Walnutz15 wrote:

Cerrone's going around with a camera again, and people are believing everything he writes. Havens actually took BP....but it's more interesting to write about him looking on from behind a cage.

Got it. The piece was kinda misleading...the clear inference was that he was sitting out.
tsk, tsk Cerrone.....ohlord

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Last edited 2/19/2013 2:58 PM by Walnutz15

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/20/2013 10:22 AM

RE: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Red Sox acquired 1B/OF Mike Carp from the Mariners for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Carp was designated for assignment last week, so the Mariners had until Thursday to find him a new home. The 26-year-old is coming off an injury-plagued season in which he batted just 213/.312/.341 with five home runs and a .654 OPS in 189 plate appearances, but the Red Sox likely view him as insurance for Mike Napoli at first base. And it's not a terrible idea given the price tag involved. It's worth noting that Carp is out of options this spring, so he would have to be exposed to waivers if he doesn't make the Opening Day roster.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/20/2013 10:23 AM

RE: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


Phil Hughes (back) was diagnosed with a bulging disc in his upper spine following an MRI.

Hughes hurt himself Monday while covering first base during pitchers' fielding practice.

He's currently taking anti-inflammatories to deal with the discomfort and expects to be symptom-free in the next four to five days. While he will not be ready to pitch when the Grapefruit League schedule starts, it's still way too early to say whether this will affect his readiness for the start of the season.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/20/2013 10:26 AM

RE: Around The Majors: Spring Training News & Notes 


could be a big problem for the Yankees bc they don't have much SP depth to begin with.  I can easily see injuries take a pretty big toll on their entire season.  As it is, I don't see how some are writing them in for another 90 win season.  I don't see it.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 14  Next >