Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

40-man roster

Avatar

Posted: 2/3/2013 10:09 AM

40-man roster 


http://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/2/2/3944426/new-y ork-mets-40-man-roster-spring-training

[text}

"The Mets' Upcoming 40-Man Roster Crunch

By Chris McShane on Feb 2, 12:51p 

The Mets' 40-man roster might get a bit crowded between now and the beginning of the season.

With the addition of Marlon Byrd on a minor league contract, the Mets have fourteen non-roster invitees scheduled to participate in spring training. Those players will be competing for spots on the team's 25-man roster for Opening Day, but the Mets figure to have a bit of a 40-man roster crunch, too, as 39 spots are currently occupied.

The math is pretty simple. The Mets will have to clear a spot on the 40-man roster if more than one non-roster invitee makes the team out of spring training. If they sign a free agent — perhaps a relief pitcher — to a major league deal, the sole available slot on the 40-man roster eliminated before the non-roster invitees potentially make the team. If any player on the roster begins the year on the disabled list, his spot will become available until he's ready to return, delaying the team's decision about who would need to be cut.

If and when the Mets remove a player from the roster, the player would hit waivers and could be claimed by any other Major League Baseball team. Let's first have a look at the current 40-man roster, breaking it down between the players who appear to be locks to stay on the 40-man roster and those who might be at risk of losing their spots.

The Locks

NumPlayerPos.B/T
1 Johan Santana P L-L
2 Matt Harvey P R-R
3 Jon Niese P L-L
4 Shaun Marcum P R-R
5 Dillon Gee P R-R
6 Bobby Parnell P R-R
7 Frank Francisco P R-R
8 Josh Edgin P L-L
9 Jeurys Familia P R-R
10 Zack Wheeler P L-R
11 Jenrry Mejia P R-R
12 Hansel Robles P R-R
13 Gonzalez Germen P R-R
14 Darin Gorski P L-L
15 Elvin Ramirez P R-R
16 Collin McHugh P R-R
17 Robert Carson P L-L
18 John Buck C R-R
19 Travis d'Arnaud C R-R
20 Ike Davis 1B L-L
21 Wilmer Flores 3B R-R
22 Daniel Murphy 2B L-R
23 Ruben Tejada SS R-R
24 Wilfredo Tovar SS R-R
25 Justin Turner 2B R-R
26 David Wright 3B R-R
27 Mike Baxter OF L-R
28 Collin Cowgill OF R-L
29 Lucas Duda OF L-R
30 Juan Lagares OF R-R
31 Kirk Nieuwenhuis OF L-R
32 Cesar Puello OF R-R
33 Jordany Valdespin OF/2B L-R

These 33 players aren't going anywhere, injuries notwithstanding. The group is a mix of established major league players who the Mets aren't going to risk losing and prospects who were recently added to the 40-man, none of whom would be removed anytime soon.

At Risk

NumPlayerPos.B/T
1 Greg Burke P R-R
2 Jeremy Hefner P R-R
3 Brandon Hicks 2B/SS R-R
4 Anthony Recker C R-R
5 Reese Havens 2B L-R
6 Zach Lutz 3B R-R

The Mets added Burke, a right-handed relief pitcher, shortly after the end of the World Series, but he'll be competing with a slew of other players for a spot in the bullpen. If he doesn't make the team, he could be placed on waivers to make room for another pitcher. Hefner's a fairly well known commodity to the team, but he's not a lock to make the team out of the gate, and as a result, he's in the same boat as Burke.

Hicks, a middle infielder, and Recker, a catcher, were added over the winter, too. Both players have a good shot of making the Opening Day bench, but neither one is guaranteed.

Havens and Lutz are older prospects hanging on to their status as potential future big league players. Rob Castellano ranked Lutz thirty-first and Havens fortieth in his Amazin' Avenue Top 50 Prospects. The other players are probably more likely to be cut first, but the Mets showed last year that they weren't just going to hold on to a once-prospect forever when they sent Fernando Martinez through waivers and lost him to the Astros.

Non-Roster Invitees

And finally, let's have a look at the complete list of non-roster invitees, all of whom will have a shot at the Opening Day roster, at least for the first week or two of spring training.

NumPlayerPos.B/T
1 Scott Atchison P R-R
2 Pedro Feliciano P L-L
3 LaTroy Hawkins P R-R
4 Aaron Laffey P L-L
5 Cory Mazzoni P R-R
6 Rafael Montero P R-R
7 Carlos Torres P R-R
8 Juan Centeno C L-R
9 Landon Powell C S-R
10 Brian Bixler IF R-R
11 Josh Satin IF R-R
12 Omar Quintanilla* IF L-R
13 Andrew Brown OF R-R
14 Marlon Byrd OF R-R
15 Matthew den Dekker OF L-L

The relief pitchers here are particularly likely to make the team. It's hard to imagine Atchison won't make the team, and Hawkins has been decent over the past few years. Laffey might beat out Jeremy Hefner for the long-relief-spot-starter role in the bullpen. Carlos Torres was an interesting acquisition back at the end of November who might make the pen.

Perpetual Pedro Feliciano needs to prove he's capable of pitching, which may not happen, but if he does, he'd crack the 40-man, too. Mazzoni and Montero are prospects who will most likely not make the team on Opening Day.

The position players are a bit of a mixed bag, but there's clearly plenty of competition here. Either one of the catchers might beat out Anthony Recker for the gig backing up John Buck. Once the Mets call up Travis d'Arnaud, presumably sometime shortly after April, that spot will disappear.

The infielders and outfielders here all have varying shots at making the team, but den Dekker would probably need to show a lot with the bat this spring for the Mets to slot him into center field on Opening Day.

As always, we'll be posting a weekly Make-The-Mets-O-Meter once spring training begins to track the progress of everyone in big league camp.

*As pointed out by intrepid commenter NateW, Omar Quintanilla was missing from the original list. The Mets don't list him as a non-roster invitee on their website, but he was reportedly invited to big league spring training at the time he was signed. "





****************************************************************************************************

The best pitch is one that looks like a strike....................but it isn't.           Warren Spahn
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/3/2013 10:34 AM

Re: 40-man roster 


Thanks. We'll be following the roster battles closely.

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/3/2013 11:21 AM

Re: 40-man roster 


Here is my take on the 25-man roster, which should help us sort out the 40-man roster

SP
Santana
Harvey
Niese
Marcum
Gee

RP
Francisco
Parnell
Atchinson (if healthy)
Lyon
2 of Edgin, Feliciano, and Carson
1 of Hefner or Laffey
maybe 1 of Familia, Mejia, Hawkins, Burke, or other TBO (To be obtained) if Atchinson or anyone else is not ready to go at the start of the season.  In other words, I think Hawkins is now a longshot.

Position Players
1B Davis
2B Murphy
SS Tejada
3B Wright
LF  Duda
CF Kirk N./Cowgill
RF Baxter and 1 of Bixler, Brown, Byrd, or other TBO
C Buck/(Recker or Powell)

That leaves 2 other spots on the bench
Bench
1 of Turner or Hicks (RH)
1 of Valdespin or Quintanilla (LH)

Did I overlook anyone?

Last edited 2/3/2013 5:20 PM by omnimetfan

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/3/2013 11:24 AM

Re: 40-man roster 



omnimetfan wrote: Here is my take on the 25-man roster, which should help us sort out the 40-man roster

SP
Santana
Harvey
Niese
Marcum
Gee

RP
Francisco
Parnell
Atchinson (if healthy)
2 of Edgin, Feliciano, and Carson
1 of Hefner or Laffey
1 of Familia, Mejia, Hawkins, Burke, or other TBO (To be obtained)

Position Players
1B Davis
2B Murphy
SS Tejada
3B Wright
LF  Duda
CF Kirk N./Cowgill
RF Baxter and 1 of Bixler, Brown, Byrd, or other TBO

That leaves 2 other spots on the bench
Bench
1 of Turner or Hicks (RH)
1 of Valdespin or Quintanilla (LH)

Did I overlook anyone?
Catchers?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/3/2013 1:13 PM

Re: 40-man roster 



jumpstone wrote:
omnimetfan wrote: Here is my take on the 25-man roster, which should help us sort out the 40-man roster

SP
Santana
Harvey
Niese
Marcum
Gee

RP
Francisco
Parnell
Atchinson (if healthy)
2 of Edgin, Feliciano, and Carson
1 of Hefner or Laffey
1 of Familia, Mejia, Hawkins, Burke, or other TBO (To be obtained)

Position Players
1B Davis
2B Murphy
SS Tejada
3B Wright
LF  Duda
CF Kirk N./Cowgill
RF Baxter and 1 of Bixler, Brown, Byrd, or other TBO

That leaves 2 other spots on the bench
Bench
1 of Turner or Hicks (RH)
1 of Valdespin or Quintanilla (LH)

Did I overlook anyone?
Catchers?
Oops!  On my list I had Buck and Recker or Powell.  I will edit my list now.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/3/2013 2:40 PM

Re: 40-man roster 


you would need to have Hicks (RH) or Quintanilla (LH) as backup SS
Turner is a backup corner IF




****************************************************************************************************

The best pitch is one that looks like a strike....................but it isn't.           Warren Spahn
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/3/2013 3:00 PM

Re: 40-man roster 



nickel7168 wrote: you would need to have Hicks (RH) or Quintanilla (LH) as backup SS
Turner is a backup corner IF
Can Valdespin play some short?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/3/2013 3:22 PM

Re: 40-man roster 




---------------------------------------------
--- dondada10 wrote:


nickel7168 wrote: you would need to have Hicks (RH) or Quintanilla (LH) as backup SS
Turner is a backup corner IF
Can Valdespin play some short?

---------------------------------------------

Sure he can. In exactly the same way that Duda can play some RF.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/3/2013 5:17 PM

Re: 40-man roster 



MookieLJL wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- dondada10 wrote:


nickel7168 wrote: you would need to have Hicks (RH) or Quintanilla (LH) as backup SS
Turner is a backup corner IF
Can Valdespin play some short?

---------------------------------------------

Sure he can. In exactly the same way that Duda can play some RF.
Actually that's not fair.  Valdespin was a pretty decent defensive middle infielder in the minors.  He played 2nd base one game last year and made a huge error and now everyone calls him terrible.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/3/2013 5:21 PM

Re: 40-man roster 


I have now edited my 25-man roster with the signing of Lyon (assuming it happens).  I now believe that guys like Burke and Hawkins are real long shots to make the team.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/3/2013 5:29 PM

Re: 40-man roster 


The 25 man doesn't look all that god-awful, with the exception of the OF... kinda crazy.

I think the bullpen could surprise if people stay healthy and we get some of the young arms up from the minors. I have a funny feeling Santana has a big year, and Harvey is poised for a big one. The starting 5 could be very good, although I think we traded 2 of them at the deadline to add more pieces in the minors.

Catcher we get TDA in there and probably trade Buck or put Buck as backup (more preferable to me as we need depth/vet presence). Our infield is looking alright although I'm still not sold on Tejada and fear he may have a soph slump.

Goes back to the OF though. We are lacking 3 major league OFers. We will have to see what happens there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 8:57 AM

Re: 40-man roster 



omnimetfan wrote:
MookieLJL wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- dondada10 wrote:


nickel7168 wrote: you would need to have Hicks (RH) or Quintanilla (LH) as backup SS
Turner is a backup corner IF
Can Valdespin play some short?

---------------------------------------------

Sure he can. In exactly the same way that Duda can play some RF.
Actually that's not fair.  Valdespin was a pretty decent defensive middle infielder in the minors.  He played 2nd base one game last year and made a huge error and now everyone calls him terrible.
There was a pretty good reason the Mets moved Valdespin from SS to 2B in the minors and then were very hesitant to play him in the infield at all when he was promoted to the majors.  "Pretty decent" is a very generous assessment of a guy who was extremely erratic and error prone at both SS and 2B in the minors.  He made 49 errors in 146 career games at SS and wasn't a whole lot better at 2B (36 E in 229 games).  I don't think being focused is a strong suit of Jordany's and his putrid defense in he minors seems to support that view.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/4/2013 9:28 AM

Re: 40-man roster 



met8669 wrote: The 25 man doesn't look all that god-awful, with the exception of the OF... kinda crazy.

I think the bullpen could surprise if people stay healthy and we get some of the young arms up from the minors. I have a funny feeling Santana has a big year, and Harvey is poised for a big one. The starting 5 could be very good, although I think we traded 2 of them at the deadline to add more pieces in the minors.

Catcher we get TDA in there and probably trade Buck or put Buck as backup (more preferable to me as we need depth/vet presence). Our infield is looking alright although I'm still not sold on Tejada and fear he may have a soph slump.

Goes back to the OF though. We are lacking 3 major league OFers. We will have to see what happens there.
The jury is still out on Duda.  No, he is never likely to win a gold glove but there have been plenty of not horrible defensively LF'ers who mash the ball.  That is the key.  If we see the hitter he looked like he was becoming in 2011 he is fine.  If he is the Duda of 2012, he needs to be replaced.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 9:55 AM

Re: 40-man roster 



omnimetfan wrote:
met8669 wrote: The 25 man doesn't look all that god-awful, with the exception of the OF... kinda crazy.

I think the bullpen could surprise if people stay healthy and we get some of the young arms up from the minors. I have a funny feeling Santana has a big year, and Harvey is poised for a big one. The starting 5 could be very good, although I think we traded 2 of them at the deadline to add more pieces in the minors.

Catcher we get TDA in there and probably trade Buck or put Buck as backup (more preferable to me as we need depth/vet presence). Our infield is looking alright although I'm still not sold on Tejada and fear he may have a soph slump.

Goes back to the OF though. We are lacking 3 major league OFers. We will have to see what happens there.

The jury is still out on Duda.  No, he is never likely to win a gold glove but there have been plenty of not horrible defensively LF'ers who mash the ball.  That is the key.  If we see the hitter he looked like he was becoming in 2011 he is fine.  If he is the Duda of 2012, he needs to be replaced.



We really have no choice but to give Duda another shot.....he's got more offensive upside than any other OFer on the 40 man and he won't regain value without playing. He'll never be a star and he'll never win a GG, but he's got legit .800 potential and you don't toss that away because he had a rough sophmore season (we're certainly not in a position to toss that away).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 10:24 AM

Re: 40-man roster 


in the group of 33, I wouldn't say that guys like Germen, Ramirez, Lagares or Valdy "aren't going anywhere."  All either 24 or 25 are basically at the tail end of their prospect status.  Not that they are at the "career end" stage but none would be a tragic loss if a 40 spot were needed.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 10:41 AM

Re: 40-man roster 


I'm still holding out faint hope for a surprise from Havens this year, but if it doesn't materialize, this is probably the end of the line for him in this organization.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 11:35 AM

Re: 40-man roster 



MookieLJL wrote:
omnimetfan wrote:
MookieLJL wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- dondada10 wrote:


nickel7168 wrote: you would need to have Hicks (RH) or Quintanilla (LH) as backup SS
Turner is a backup corner IF
Can Valdespin play some short?

---------------------------------------------

Sure he can. In exactly the same way that Duda can play some RF.
Actually that's not fair.  Valdespin was a pretty decent defensive middle infielder in the minors.  He played 2nd base one game last year and made a huge error and now everyone calls him terrible.
There was a pretty good reason the Mets moved Valdespin from SS to 2B in the minors and then were very hesitant to play him in the infield at all when he was promoted to the majors.  "Pretty decent" is a very generous assessment of a guy who was extremely erratic and error prone at both SS and 2B in the minors.  He made 49 errors in 146 career games at SS and wasn't a whole lot better at 2B (36 E in 229 games).  I don't think being focused is a strong suit of Jordany's and his putrid defense in he minors seems to support that view.
Actually, Turner played SS for the Mets at some point in 2012 but if Reuben went down, you wouldn't want him or Spin playing there any longer than it would take to bring up Hicks or Q, (assuming they are at AAA...they did sign MiL contracts) or Tovar who is already on the 40-man roster and could handle the job defensively already.




****************************************************************************************************

The best pitch is one that looks like a strike....................but it isn't.           Warren Spahn
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 11:45 AM

Re: 40-man roster 



met8669 wrote: The 25 man doesn't look all that god-awful, with the exception of the OF... kinda crazy.

I think the bullpen could surprise if people stay healthy and we get some of the young arms up from the minors. I have a funny feeling Santana has a big year, and Harvey is poised for a big one. The starting 5 could be very good, although I think we traded 2 of them at the deadline to add more pieces in the minors.

Catcher we get TDA in there and probably trade Buck or put Buck as backup (more preferable to me as we need depth/vet presence). Our infield is looking alright although I'm still not sold on Tejada and fear he may have a soph slump.

Goes back to the OF though. We are lacking 3 major league OFers. We will have to see what happens there.
The OF is easily the biggest problem. I like our infield, esp if Tejada can provide some more gap power. Buck is just a placeholder for Travis.

The starting rotation has a ton of upside. I'm a big believer in Santana bouncing back to his first half form of '12.

With the bullpen, I'm in 'wait and see mode.' I liked what we assembled last year but it ended up being straight garbage. Pens fluctuate so much that its hard to get a solid grasp for what you'll get on a given year.

If the pen can be just average, the team will certainly be watchable. However, one of these days I'll be able to write 'The team will be a force to be reckoned with this year.'


Last edited 2/4/2013 11:46 AM by nyjets2047

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 12:28 PM

Re: 40-man roster 



nyjets2047 wrote:
met8669 wrote: The 25 man doesn't look all that god-awful, with the exception of the OF... kinda crazy.

I think the bullpen could surprise if people stay healthy and we get some of the young arms up from the minors. I have a funny feeling Santana has a big year, and Harvey is poised for a big one. The starting 5 could be very good, although I think we traded 2 of them at the deadline to add more pieces in the minors.

Catcher we get TDA in there and probably trade Buck or put Buck as backup (more preferable to me as we need depth/vet presence). Our infield is looking alright although I'm still not sold on Tejada and fear he may have a soph slump.

Goes back to the OF though. We are lacking 3 major league OFers. We will have to see what happens there.
The OF is easily the biggest problem. I like our infield, esp if Tejada can provide some more gap power. Buck is just a placeholder for Travis.

The starting rotation has a ton of upside. I'm a big believer in Santana bouncing back to his first half form of '12.

With the bullpen, I'm in 'wait and see mode.' I liked what we assembled last year but it ended up being straight garbage. Pens fluctuate so much that its hard to get a solid grasp for what you'll get on a given year.

If the pen can be just average, the team will certainly be watchable. However, one of these days I'll be able to write 'The team will be a force to be reckoned with this year.'



Not sure what gives anyone confidence in Santana? Hope maybe, but certainly no degree of confidence. Yeah, the guy's a fierce competitor and yeah he knows how to pitch, but we saw last year (in the 2nd half) that only takes you so far?

Imo, if he has a solid first half and we're able to get anyting of value for him (while picking up salary), we should consider ourselves lucky. noidea
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/4/2013 2:40 PM

Re: 40-man roster 



Kooos wrote:
nyjets2047 wrote:
met8669 wrote: The 25 man doesn't look all that god-awful, with the exception of the OF... kinda crazy.

I think the bullpen could surprise if people stay healthy and we get some of the young arms up from the minors. I have a funny feeling Santana has a big year, and Harvey is poised for a big one. The starting 5 could be very good, although I think we traded 2 of them at the deadline to add more pieces in the minors.

Catcher we get TDA in there and probably trade Buck or put Buck as backup (more preferable to me as we need depth/vet presence). Our infield is looking alright although I'm still not sold on Tejada and fear he may have a soph slump.

Goes back to the OF though. We are lacking 3 major league OFers. We will have to see what happens there.
The OF is easily the biggest problem. I like our infield, esp if Tejada can provide some more gap power. Buck is just a placeholder for Travis.

The starting rotation has a ton of upside. I'm a big believer in Santana bouncing back to his first half form of '12.

With the bullpen, I'm in 'wait and see mode.' I liked what we assembled last year but it ended up being straight garbage. Pens fluctuate so much that its hard to get a solid grasp for what you'll get on a given year.

If the pen can be just average, the team will certainly be watchable. However, one of these days I'll be able to write 'The team will be a force to be reckoned with this year.'



Not sure what gives anyone confidence in Santana? Hope maybe, but certainly no degree of confidence. Yeah, the guy's a fierce competitor and yeah he knows how to pitch, but we saw last year (in the 2nd half) that only takes you so far?

Imo, if he has a solid first half and we're able to get anyting of value for him (while picking up salary), we should consider ourselves lucky. noidea
I certainly see this point of view. I think his injury just took a toll on him in the 2nd half. He spent all year rehabbing and was dominate up until his no hitter, then proceeded to fall off completely. He may not be that dominate again, but I'd bet anything in a contract year he he'll do better than he was in the 2nd half of '12.


Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >