Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF?

Posted: 1/19/2013 12:43 PM

Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


The best 'what if' I could entertain (and it's not super exciting...) would be to try and move D Murphy to Colorado in exchange for Cuddyer......maybe asking Colorado to eat some of the contract and maybe the Mets send a McHugh to the Rockies....some lower-tier arm.   

This would give the Mets a regular professional OF..........perhaps leave 2B open for Valdespin to play (his natural postion)....and the Rockies would get a guy that could play 3B/2B for them and be a reliable guy for their younger kids to emulate.   They've been trying to fill a 3B slot forever there.   And he could spot at 2B and even 1B when Helton goes on the shelf for 4 weeks.    Plus it could clear money for the Rockies and give them an additional innings eater arm.  

 
If you wanted another IF-er.....the Rays ave a surplus of extra utility IF'ers that the mets could probably get on the cheap.....and add depth.  


I was perusing through other rosters.....and it's really challenging to find a squad with a middle-tier surplus OFer that also might need some 2b or 3b help.  

I was thinking that maybe the Tigers would entertain this in exchange for Boesch....but that is probably a bit more far-fetched.    


Just trying to think out loud.........can't help myself....I get into random trade possibilities.....

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 1:38 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


Not saying I would agree with that particular trade or not ; but it would make sense to turn Murphy into an OFer. They have some depth at 2B in the system, and would be more able to find someone to play 2B going forward than outfielders. I believe I've heard they are going to try Flores at 2b this year as well?

Last edited 1/19/2013 1:39 PM by danfran

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 2:48 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 




---------------------------------------------
--- danfran wrote:

I believe I've heard they are going to try Flores at 2b this year as well?

---------------------------------------------

I think he played there almost half the time after his move to AA last year. Maybe they liked what they saw and he will continue there. His bat at 2B could be a huge impact on our big league team, maybe even as soon as later on in the summer.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/19/2013 3:43 PM

RE: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


FWIW- the 2013 Bill James projections:

Murphy .303/.352/.438 [28yo, arb eligible]
Cuddyer .264/.333/.447 [34yo, due 2/$21M]

Murphy+Baxter vs Cuddyer+Valdespin, I'm not sure the swap really helps the team a whole lot. And it adds something like $15-16M over the next two years.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 3:58 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


From everything I've read, Flores is as slow as they come.....not sure he'll stick at 2b?
__________________________________



"We've got 5 guys better than this?"
.....Jason Bay watching Matt Harvey throw in March 2012.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 4:00 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 



Kooos wrote: From everything I've read, Flores is as slow as they come.....not sure he'll stick at 2b?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised they're even giving him another shot at 2b.  By all accounts, he completely lacks the range to play there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 4:13 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


Yup.....everything I've read says decent arm, soft hands, but no range whatsoever. Seems destined for 3b or maybe 1b if the power continues to develop.
__________________________________



"We've got 5 guys better than this?"
.....Jason Bay watching Matt Harvey throw in March 2012.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 4:38 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 



danfran wrote: Not saying I would agree with that particular trade or not ; but it would make sense to turn Murphy into an OFer. They have some depth at 2B in the system, and would be more able to find someone to play 2B going forward than outfielders. I believe I've heard they are going to try Flores at 2b this year as well?
Idk why we abandoned that as an organization.  I know he was awful out there and cost Johan that Josh Johnson game, but it's fixable issue.  With that being said, Flores is who should learn OF.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 4:54 PM

RE: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


I don't view Murphy as a long-term piece, so yeah, I'd move him for a similar OF. Not sure about Cuddyer, but maybe there is an OF out there with similar service time/contract status.


17 & 14 = Best Duo In NY Sports
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/19/2013 5:11 PM

RE: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


I would trade Murphy for an OF in a heartbeat.  The Mets have some depth at 2nd base in their system and on the bench.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 5:32 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 



dondada10 wrote:
danfran wrote: Not saying I would agree with that particular trade or not ; but it would make sense to turn Murphy into an OFer. They have some depth at 2B in the system, and would be more able to find someone to play 2B going forward than outfielders. I believe I've heard they are going to try Flores at 2b this year as well?
Idk why we abandoned that as an organization.  I know he was awful out there and cost Johan that Josh Johnson game, but it's fixable issue.  With that being said, Flores is who should learn OF.
Oh. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean turning him into an outfielder literally, I meant as in trading him for an OFer. IDK if he has the ability to play OF.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/19/2013 6:15 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


Depends on the outfielder.

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 9:48 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 



danfran wrote:
dondada10 wrote:
danfran wrote: Not saying I would agree with that particular trade or not ; but it would make sense to turn Murphy into an OFer. They have some depth at 2B in the system, and would be more able to find someone to play 2B going forward than outfielders. I believe I've heard they are going to try Flores at 2b this year as well?
Idk why we abandoned that as an organization.  I know he was awful out there and cost Johan that Josh Johnson game, but it's fixable issue.  With that being said, Flores is who should learn OF.
Oh. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean turning him into an outfielder literally, I meant as in trading him for an OFer. IDK if he has the ability to play OF.
Ah I see. 

I'd still like to see Flores shift to the outfield...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/19/2013 11:48 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


It depends on the outfielder. 

But I'd prefer not to trade Murph....I'm not particularly fond of the other 2b options. I'm not a fan of Valdespin at this point.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/20/2013 11:13 AM

RE: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


I grabbed all players who had +/- 10% Murphy's PAs through age 27 and +/- 10% of his fWAR/600, debut 1985 or later.

Here they are sorted by age 26-27 fWAR, along with age 28-30 fWAR [Murphy's pre-FA years]:

PLAYER26-2728-30Notes
Jeff Kent5.710.8
Mike Lieberthal5.66.6
Kevin Kouzmanoff5.63.0
Daniel Murphy5.0???
Paul O'Neill4.610.4
Juan Rivera4.12.0
Carl Everett4.111.5
Carlos Guillen3.713.9
Craig Wilson3.40.4
Scott Cooper2.4-0.2out of baseball after age 29
Marty Cordova2.2-2.0
Jay Buhner2.28.6
Bobby Crosby0.60.4

Last edited 1/20/2013 11:17 AM by erosen

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/20/2013 11:26 AM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 




---------------------------------------------
--- Metsoholic wrote:

It depends on the outfielder. 

But I'd prefer not to trade Murph....I'm not particularly fond of the other 2b options. I'm not a fan of Valdespin at this point.

---------------------------------------------

I agree with this.

You'd like to see a little more power...but Murphy balances out the lineup a bit. He's more of a grinder than a feast or famine type...and will often give you a "tough" atbat.

He didn't undermine his WAR value with his defense.....as much as I thought he would.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/20/2013 11:26 AM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


Before we get too excited, after that, Paul O'Neill:
1) Moved to the American League (lousy pitching)
2) Played in a bandbox (Yankee Stadium)
3) Discovered steroids (check out fits of rage, increased power AND battng eye, and skin that looked like a topographic map of a lunar landing site)

The rest, as they say, is history ....

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/20/2013 11:44 AM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 



sweeper5 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- Metsoholic wrote:

It depends on the outfielder. 

But I'd prefer not to trade Murph....I'm not particularly fond of the other 2b options. I'm not a fan of Valdespin at this point.

---------------------------------------------

I agree with this.

You'd like to see a little more power...but Murphy balances out the lineup a bit. He's more of a grinder than a feast or famine type...and will often give you a "tough" atbat.

He didn't undermine his WAR value with his defense.....as much as I thought he would.
Yeah, Murph is a nice piece in the lineup and serviceable IF.   The thing about Cuddyer is he is more of a line drive hitter and a guy that can provide a little pop and not kill you by K-ing a lot.     Plus.....Cuddyer can spell Ike at 1B on occasion and even be an emergency 3B for Wright, if absolutely necessary.   I think he's a solid pro and probably wouldn't mind being out of Colorado.   Although.....he's probably a 10/5 guy, and can probably veto the trade......but.......not sure if he cares one way or another.

Plus......he could be a trade chip for the near future, as RH OFers are pretty difficult to find these days.   


Plus.....say you have Valdespin playing largely against righties and producing both power and speed.....then you have JT coming in versus lefties and doing what he usually does......I think it creates a more interesting lineup.  
Wright/Ike/Cuddy/Duda could be a pretty solid middle of the order lineup.


compared with Murph/Wright/Ike/Baxter.....I think I'd take the former.   Granted, having Hairston and subbing him for Baxter wouldn't be a horrible middle four.   


It seems like Murphy is prob the next best guy to net you a slightly improved OF-er over what is out there.    It's tough.....though.....it was pretty tricky to find a team that you could match Murphy with that also had an OF-er surplus.   The Rox and Tigers were really the only teams that seemed like natural fits.    I also don't know other teams OF minor league depth as well......seems like Murph could get you a halfway decent OF option (like maybe a Tabata from Pit....although they don't need a 2B or 3B.   Or a 1B....really.)    Not that Tabata is a world beater.....but.....it's something.    

You could also bring over an Elliott Johnson or Brignac or Tat-man as 2B depth from the Rays......then you have Tejada, Valdespin + ML 2B of choice, Turner, and one of those guys forming your middle IF.   Not super exciting.....but potentially not awful if you have a Cuddyer in the OF. 


If TDA could contribute at all......now you are talking a team that has 500 potential or better.

Last edited 1/20/2013 11:45 AM by JeffHostetlerFan

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/20/2013 11:48 AM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 



NewMFS62 wrote: Before we get too excited, after that, Paul O'Neill:
1) Moved to the American League (lousy pitching)
2) Played in a bandbox (Yankee Stadium)
3) Discovered steroids (check out fits of rage, increased power AND battng eye, and skin that looked like a topographic map of a lunar landing site)

The rest, as they say, is history ....

Later

O'Neill had plenty of fits of rage with the Reds........he's part of one of the more emfamous highlights where he kicked a muffed ball from the OF towards 2B.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/20/2013 6:20 PM

Re: Would anybody trade D Murphy in exchange for an OF? 


Then I guess he started on steroids earlier than I thought.

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >