Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal

Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 4:55 PM

Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 5:01 PM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif34853_banana.gif
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 5:19 PM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


The left handed R.A. Dickey

well, without the knuckle ball

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 5:31 PM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


Discuss what? biggrin Offseason work complete!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 6:18 PM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



nyislelover wrote: The left handed R.A. Dickey

well, without the knuckle ball
Maybe he can learn the knuckle ball?


17 & 14 = Best Duo In NY Sports
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 9:54 PM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


In our frustration, let's not confuse the FOs sucess at improving the ML team with the need to obtain organizational fillers in the minor leagues.

Why, however, are there not AAA OFs available that we could sign for backups?




****************************************************************************************************

The best pitch is one that looks like a strike....................but it isn't.           Warren Spahn
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 9:56 PM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


We have plenty minor league caliber OFers (Duda, Kirk, Valdespin, MDD, Baxter, Bixler, etc.).  The problem is the lack of major league caliber OFers.

Last edited 12/27/2012 9:57 PM by DocK16

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 10:07 PM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


I checked for the requisite San Diego or Oakland connection...negative. Then I assumed it must be some Ivy League or Mensa connection but nothing there either which led me to conclude that he must've picked up some funky new pitch or delivery that is going to take the world by storm!
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 10:12 PM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


Maybe the FO was just looking to add a little Laff-ter to the locker room. biggrin
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 10:45 PM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



DuffyDyer wrote: I checked for the requisite San Diego or Oakland connection...negative. Then I assumed it must be some Ivy League or Mensa connection but nothing there either which led me to conclude that he must've picked up some funky new pitch or delivery that is going to take the world by storm!
I actually wouldn't be surprised if we see several "played for Vegas" connections.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/27/2012 11:27 PM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



DocK16 wrote: Maybe the FO was just looking to add a little Laff-ter to the locker room. biggrin

C'mon, Dock. You can do better than that. disbelief

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 7:58 AM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



NewMFS62 wrote:
DocK16 wrote: Maybe the FO was just looking to add a little Laff-ter to the locker room. biggrin

C'mon, Dock. You can do better than that. disbelief

Later

It's because I forgot the "Later" isn't it? tongue

Teach me, New.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 8:04 AM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


G.O.A.T.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 8:19 AM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



NYMethuselah wrote:
DuffyDyer wrote: I checked for the requisite San Diego or Oakland connection...negative. Then I assumed it must be some Ivy League or Mensa connection but nothing there either which led me to conclude that he must've picked up some funky new pitch or delivery that is going to take the world by storm!
I actually wouldn't be surprised if we see several "played for Vegas" connections.
Correct.

"Use your head.....that's that lump 3 feet above your arse." - Jimmy Dugan

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 9:20 AM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



DocK16 wrote:
NewMFS62 wrote:
DocK16 wrote: Maybe the FO was just looking to add a little Laff-ter to the locker room. biggrin

C'mon, Dock. You can do better than that. disbelief

Later

It's because I forgot the "Later" isn't it? tongue

Teach me, New.
Lesson #1 - puns don't work with this crowd.

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 9:23 AM

RE: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


No issue with this, given that it's on a zero-risk minor league contract, just as long as he's not being asked to do anything more that serve as organizational filler (given that we keep getting booted from triple-A affiliates, not a bad idea to have some org filler), or at the absolute most, serve in the Aaron Sele mop-up role.

Eagles/Indiana/Mets/Villanova: it's a long story

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 10:34 AM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


Here’s the weird thing about Aaron Laffey.  He gives up way too many hits (ML...526H in 474.1 INN), and way too many walks (186 BB / 233 K) which accounts for his high WHIP of 1.50.  But, his ERA is only 4.38 in the ML.  By comparison  Byrdak’s ERA was 4.40 last year and his WHIP was only 1.17.  What’s accounts for Laffey’s not outrageous ERA is this “Assets” line from his scouting report:
    
“Scouting Report
Assets.....Has a knack for making the right pitch at the right moment. Displays the craftiness of a typical southpaw starter. Changes speeds well.

Flaws.....His stuff isn't great, so he tends to get lit up at the big-league level whenever his command is off. His strikeout/walk ratio is not good at all.

Career potential.....Back-of-the-rotation starter or long reliever.”

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/players/bio/?id=6544




****************************************************************************************************

The best pitch is one that looks like a strike....................but it isn't.           Warren Spahn
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/31/2012 3:30 PM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 


Remember when he pitched briefly for Cleveland. Was among a few  young guys the Indians thought might pan out, but didn't.

Now he's another left hander...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/31/2012 3:33 PM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



Coltny wrote: Remember when he pitched briefly for Cleveland. Was among a few  young guys the Indians thought might pan out, but didn't.

Now he's another left hander...
heck even facing only LHed hitters Laffey hasn't shown much to get excited about.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/31/2012 3:36 PM

Re: Mets Sign Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal 



DuffyDyer wrote:
Coltny wrote: Remember when he pitched briefly for Cleveland. Was among a few  young guys the Indians thought might pan out, but didn't.

Now he's another left hander...
heck even facing only LHed hitters Laffey hasn't shown much to get excited about.

Which makes things even worse...wink
Reply | Quote