Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Let's move Niese, too.

Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:05 PM

Let's move Niese, too. 


Seeing what front of the rotation arms are bringing organizations back, I say we sell on Niese.

Face it, 2013 is gonna be tough (again).  Let's reload heavy for 2014-15 and bring in some outfielders.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:08 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


Honestly, we should've moved Wright, not Niese.  I think we can still reasonably start projecting success in 2014, so Wright will still contribute to meaningful seasons, but a huge return for Wright could've put us on a path similar to the one that led us to a championship in '86.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:09 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


Not thanks. I don't want to lose 100 games next year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:13 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


The Mets could conceivably trade Niese after some of their other pitchers mature and show they are ready.  Maybe he is traded next offseason.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:14 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



danfran wrote: Not thanks. I don't want to lose 100 games next year.
Does it matter? We're probably gonna lose 88-90 games, anyway.  Lose the extra 10 and get the better pick.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:15 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


I wouldn't move Niese, but I could see Santana netting us some good prospects at the deadline if we are out of contention (which I expect) and Fred is willing to eat some salary (which I don't).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:15 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


If they do that, I'm in the running for the #5 starter spot.
And it would NOT be pretty.

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:16 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



ventura1818 wrote: I wouldn't move Niese, but I could see Santana netting us some good prospects at the deadline if we are out of contention (which I expect) and Fred is willing to eat some salary (which I don't).
2vsg8r9.jpg

That's the one to watch next. Let's hope he's back and healthy cool


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:16 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


I may be the only one... but I'm not completely writing off 2013. W/ some solid moves... I think we could be a promising team in '13 than go into '14 w/ bigger expectations...

"Seen It All"

loyal_Jues (IG)

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:16 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



NewMFS62 wrote: If they do that, I'm in the running for the #5 starter spot.
And it would NOT be pretty.

Later
Are you lefty?


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:17 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



dondada10 wrote:
danfran wrote: Not thanks. I don't want to lose 100 games next year.
Does it matter? We're probably gonna lose 88-90 games, anyway.  Lose the extra 10 and get the better pick.
He's a young, good lefty. Those are hard to find, and someone to build around, not trade.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:20 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



dondada10 wrote: Seeing what front of the rotation arms are bringing organizations back, I say we sell on Niese.

Face it, 2013 is gonna be tough (again).  Let's reload heavy for 2014-15 and bring in some outfielders.

Its not a bad idea.  I like Niese, but I dont love him.  I dont think it will happen but it is intriguing.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:21 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



danfran wrote:
dondada10 wrote:
danfran wrote: Not thanks. I don't want to lose 100 games next year.
Does it matter? We're probably gonna lose 88-90 games, anyway.  Lose the extra 10 and get the better pick.
He's a young, good lefty. Those are hard to find, and someone to build around, not trade.
W/ a potential 6 yrs, $44M contract. Look at what A. Sanchez just got. Niese is as good, if not better.

"Seen It All"

loyal_Jues (IG)

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:26 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


No & no.

Why move Niese, a lefthander who pitched like a fine # 2 starter in 2012, just turned 26 and is signed to a longterm, team friendly contract ???

Unless you believe this rebuilding will last until 2018, then trading Niese makes no sense.
Same for Wright with no impact hitters likely available over the next couple of years.
2013 will be about getting Harvey, Wheeler, D ' Arnaud, plus to a lesser degree Mejia, Familia, Edgin and others established in major league roles, finding out whether Ike Davis is more solid or more good and if there's any adequate inhouse help in the current group of middling youngsters who will likely fill roles in the outfield.

In 2014 or 2015 the latest, contention window should open that will be aided by a lot of payroll flexibility to go with a bunch of young arms reaching the upper level and providing depth for the major league team or trade bait for established talent.
A year or two from now, the Mets may be packaging prospects for established major leaguers.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:27 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



Gstacks177 wrote:
danfran wrote:
dondada10 wrote:
danfran wrote: Not thanks. I don't want to lose 100 games next year.
Does it matter? We're probably gonna lose 88-90 games, anyway.  Lose the extra 10 and get the better pick.
He's a young, good lefty. Those are hard to find, and someone to build around, not trade.
W/ a potential 6 yrs, $44M contract. Look at what A. Sanchez just got. Niese is as good, if not better.
Sounds like exactly the sort of guy we can cash in on.  If Dickey got 2 top 50 guys (and a top 10 guy), then Niese should be able to bring in a similar haul with better "throw-ins".
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:36 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


In theory, IF the Mets were to go out and sign a FA pitcher who is comparable in quality to Niese I would be all in favor of shopping him hard right now. I like Niese and I think he's a good pitcher but I think he's been the subject of a bit of over-hype lately. If you could get a slightly better package than we're getting for Dickey and the prospects coming back were major league ready OFers I think you would have to consider it. We're clearly punting on 2013- why not let someone overpay you for Niese?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:40 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



dondada10 wrote:
Gstacks177 wrote:
danfran wrote:
dondada10 wrote:
danfran wrote: Not thanks. I don't want to lose 100 games next year.
Does it matter? We're probably gonna lose 88-90 games, anyway.  Lose the extra 10 and get the better pick.
He's a young, good lefty. Those are hard to find, and someone to build around, not trade.
W/ a potential 6 yrs, $44M contract. Look at what A. Sanchez just got. Niese is as good, if not better.
Sounds like exactly the sort of guy we can cash in on.  If Dickey got 2 top 50 guys (and a top 10 guy), then Niese should be able to bring in a similar haul with better "throw-ins".

Except Niese is 26 years old, is coming off his best season and basically just entered his prime.  Not to mention he's our only lefty once Johan leaves.  I'm sure we could get a lot for him, but I think it would be much more important keeping him here, seeing as he'd only still be 28 years old when this team really starts to contend.

We have so many pitching prospects, I'd rather package a couple of them with a guy like Flores to bring in an established OFer, instead of trading a proven #2 for a few more prospects.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:41 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 


For instance, if the Red Sox were to clone Jackie Bradley Jr and offered both of him for Niese I would be all over it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:43 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 



MookieLJL wrote: In theory, IF the Mets were to go out and sign a FA pitcher who is comparable in quality to Niese I would be all in favor of shopping him hard right now. I like Niese and I think he's a good pitcher but I think he's been the subject of a bit of over-hype lately. If you could get a slightly better package than we're getting for Dickey and the prospects coming back were major league ready OFers I think you would have to consider it. We're clearly punting on 2013- why not let someone overpay you for Niese?

We'd have to find a really motivated buyer to get anything close to the Dickey return imo.  

I also don't think it's all that smart to completely deplete or SP depth.  Yes, we have loads of talent in the minors, but pretty much all of it is at least a year to year and a half away.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 3:44 PM

Re: Let's move Niese, too. 




---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:


MookieLJL wrote: In theory, IF the Mets were to go out and sign a FA pitcher who is comparable in quality to Niese I would be all in favor of shopping him hard right now. I like Niese and I think he's a good pitcher but I think he's been the subject of a bit of over-hype lately. If you could get a slightly better package than we're getting for Dickey and the prospects coming back were major league ready OFers I think you would have to consider it. We're clearly punting on 2013- why not let someone overpay you for Niese?

We'd have to find a really motivated buyer to get anything close to the Dickey return imo.  

I also don't think it's all that smart to completely deplete or SP depth.  Yes, we have loads of talent in the minors, but pretty much all of it is at least a year to year and a half away.

---------------------------------------------

It wouldn't be depleting- I would only do it if they used some of their allegedly available cash on a good FA pitcher.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >