Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Laugh at the Marlins while you still can

Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 11:07 AM

Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Because their farm system is looking really good again.  Another strong draft in '13 and a breakout or two and it could be top 5 in baseball, if not the best.

Last edited 12/9/2012 11:09 AM by DocK16

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 11:27 AM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Yelich & Fernández are a nice 1-2 punch prospect wise who figure to be in the Top 25 in Baseball.
But don't think the rest is so special. It's solid & promising & deep, no doubt about it. But not sure I'd trade the current Mets system for this group. Even without Harvey, Mejia and Edgin eligible.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 12:20 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Doesn't matter, their bumbling owner will find a way to screw it up.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 12:45 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 




---------------------------------------------
--- danfran wrote:

Doesn't matter, their bumbling owner will find a way to screw it up.

---------------------------------------------

And beyond Stanton, plus to a lesser degree Nolaso, Alvarez and Turner, they don't really have a lot of talent at the major league level.

By the time Yelich & Fernández reach the majors in mid 2015, Stanton will be on his way out as he gets too expensive via arbitration...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 2:07 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 



danfran wrote: Doesn't matter, their bumbling owner will find a way to screw it up.

Same owner who won 2 World Series'?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 2:43 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 



dgLuvsTheMets wrote:
danfran wrote: Doesn't matter, their bumbling owner will find a way to screw it up.

Same owner who won 2 World Series'?
One WS
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 2:44 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 



MiamiSteve wrote:
dgLuvsTheMets wrote:
danfran wrote: Doesn't matter, their bumbling owner will find a way to screw it up.

Same owner who won 2 World Series'?
One WS
Yup, previous owner.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 3:27 PM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Seems like we have plenty of time to laugh at them. Though the Mets are a laughingstock, too. But it's nice that there's a bigger joke out there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 6:07 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 




---------------------------------------------
--- danfran wrote:


MiamiSteve wrote:
dgLuvsTheMets wrote:
danfran wrote: Doesn't matter, their bumbling owner will find a way to screw it up.

Same owner who won 2 World Series'?
One WS
Yup, previous owner.

---------------------------------------------

Plus, didn't Loria buy the team the same year they won? I can't give him too much, if much at all.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 6:51 PM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Loria bought the team in '02 but the foundation of the team was already there having been built under John Henry's ownership.

One could "credit" Loria for winning a championship but most would say he had nothing to do with bringing in Beckett, Miggy Cabrera, Willis, Renteria, Castillo, Pavano, Penny, Pierre etc. and thus was more lucky than anything else.


And what did Dg mean by "two"?? His Expos never reached the playoffs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Who? Who?? Who??"- Ray Lucas on Jets Postgame Live
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 6:56 PM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Haha...Marlins.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 10:52 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Yeah, I was laughing at Jordany Valdespin the other day and then I realized... "oh!  That's a Met". redface 

So even in laughing at the Marlins I end up laughing at the Mets. banghead

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:43 AM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 



Daaaarryl wrote: Loria bought the team in '02 but the foundation of the team was already there having been built under John Henry's ownership.

One could "credit" Loria for winning a championship but most would say he had nothing to do with bringing in Beckett, Miggy Cabrera, Willis, Renteria, Castillo, Pavano, Penny, Pierre etc. and thus was more lucky than anything else.


And what did Dg mean by "two"?? His Expos never reached the playoffs.
Also, winning two championships with a total of only three (was it even that many ?) playoff appearances also is a bunch of luck for that entire franchise.
Again, playoff success is tough to plan. Getting there and having a legit shot once you´re in is pretty much the only thing you can plan. The Oakland A´s of the late 90s, early 2000s, led by Zito, Mulder, Hudson and a nice offense and defense with Chavez, Tejada and Giambi certainly had everything you´d ask for on paper to win a title, yet never did. 
The 1988 Mets were arguably better than the 1986 Mets - yet they didn´t get lucky at the right time. 

It´s why to me a successful season is reaching the playoffs and not embarassing yourself there. Because if you´re expecting a World Series title, odds are, you´ll fail in pretty much every year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 3:14 PM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 



DrDooby wrote:
Daaaarryl wrote: Loria bought the team in '02 but the foundation of the team was already there having been built under John Henry's ownership.

One could "credit" Loria for winning a championship but most would say he had nothing to do with bringing in Beckett, Miggy Cabrera, Willis, Renteria, Castillo, Pavano, Penny, Pierre etc. and thus was more lucky than anything else.


And what did Dg mean by "two"?? His Expos never reached the playoffs.
Also, winning two championships with a total of only three (was it even that many ?) playoff appearances also is a bunch of luck for that entire franchise.
Again, playoff success is tough to plan. Getting there and having a legit shot once you´re in is pretty much the only thing you can plan. The Oakland A´s of the late 90s, early 2000s, led by Zito, Mulder, Hudson and a nice offense and defense with Chavez, Tejada and Giambi certainly had everything you´d ask for on paper to win a title, yet never did. 
The 1988 Mets were arguably better than the 1986 Mets - yet they didn´t get lucky at the right time. 

It´s why to me a successful season is reaching the playoffs and not embarassing yourself there. Because if you´re expecting a World Series title, odds are, you´ll fail in pretty much every year.

Agreed. Getting to the playoffs is the goal. Once there, flip a coin. As the Braves saw this past playoffs, an error or 2 and a bad call can sink you.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 10:55 PM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 



EddyBarzoon wrote:
DrDooby wrote:
Daaaarryl wrote: Loria bought the team in '02 but the foundation of the team was already there having been built under John Henry's ownership.

One could "credit" Loria for winning a championship but most would say he had nothing to do with bringing in Beckett, Miggy Cabrera, Willis, Renteria, Castillo, Pavano, Penny, Pierre etc. and thus was more lucky than anything else.


And what did Dg mean by "two"?? His Expos never reached the playoffs.
Also, winning two championships with a total of only three (was it even that many ?) playoff appearances also is a bunch of luck for that entire franchise.
Again, playoff success is tough to plan. Getting there and having a legit shot once you´re in is pretty much the only thing you can plan. The Oakland A´s of the late 90s, early 2000s, led by Zito, Mulder, Hudson and a nice offense and defense with Chavez, Tejada and Giambi certainly had everything you´d ask for on paper to win a title, yet never did. 
The 1988 Mets were arguably better than the 1986 Mets - yet they didn´t get lucky at the right time. 

It´s why to me a successful season is reaching the playoffs and not embarassing yourself there. Because if you´re expecting a World Series title, odds are, you´ll fail in pretty much every year.

Agreed. Getting to the playoffs is the goal. Once there, flip a coin. As the Braves saw this past playoffs, an error or 2 and a bad call can sink you.
.....or an opportunistic fan that impedes their own OF's attempt to flag down a foul ball......

Just seems like this team is doomed to become the Pirates of this division.....unless it gets moved somewhere that peoplle try and give a crap about it.........but who knows where that is.   Maybe some Western Canadian province really likes baseball and wants them out there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 10:46 AM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


They always do this.  Sign a bunch of veterans on the FA market and then trade them for prospects and draft well.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/12/2012 10:20 PM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


I'm surprised at how deep the Astros' farm has become.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/12/2012 10:27 PM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


I hadn't heard of this Nolan Fontana fellow in the Astros system. Look at this line: 151 ABs, 65 BB! .225/.464/.338!

And he's not even a midget!

Last edited 12/12/2012 10:27 PM by RSVandy

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/13/2012 12:04 AM

RE: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 


Fontana's supposedly an all glove no hit SS with the upside of a fringe starting SS if he improves offensively and a fairly high floor as a utility guy. Or at least that was the reports before the draft.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Who? Who?? Who??"- Ray Lucas on Jets Postgame Live
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/13/2012 12:46 AM

Re: Laugh at the Marlins while you still can 



DocK16 wrote: I'm surprised at how deep the Astros' farm has become.

They have done a tremendous job rebuilding an atrocious system over the past 18 months. I believe they acquired about 15 prospects from the outside. Plus drafting very early, that helps, of course.
Obviously, it´ll take a while, but there certainly is promise.
Reply | Quote