Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts

Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 6:31 PM

Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


Interesting article from Newsday.  I've pulled a few key points, but the entire article is worth the read.

The Mets have been looking forward to 2014, when hefty contracts will come off the books, finally allowing them to lift what has become a virtual moratorium on multiyear free-agent deals. However, with a tight payroll and immediate holes to fill on the roster, they might not wait.

The Mets will be more willing to get creative with backloaded contracts, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking, in order to entice free agents with more money and multiyear offers. Those tactics could come into play at this week's winter meetings in Nashville.

...the Mets' only major payroll obligations in 2014 are the contracts of David Wright and Jonathon Niese. Taken together, the team is only on the hook for roughly $25 million in salaries. According to the source, the Mets see themselves as "close enough" to a clean slate payrollwise to consider adding future obligations.


They still won't splurge on a major deal. But the Mets hope that their willingness to structure backloaded deals translates into a wider pool of potential fits.

With so many needs, the Mets have also been eyeing potential trades.

As expected, the source said the Mets regard promising young pitchers Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler as their only untouchables in trade talks.

Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey remains in negotiations with the Mets, and according to a source, there is a possibility a deal will get done early this week. However, if an agreement can't be reached, the pitcher would attract plenty of suitors on the trade market.

Niese, first baseman Ike Davis, and reliever Bobby Parnell could also make for pieces in a trade package. Meanwhile, rival talent evaluatorshave raved about the quality of the Mets' pitching in the lower levels of the minor leagues, another potential reservoir for the Mets to tap.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 6:38 PM

Re: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


And the shift in spending expectations starts... now!  

This article now means Mets fans will start talking about virtually all FA as possible targets.  Personally, I think nothing has really changed.  I think we're still most likely to sign a Ludwick type, acquire a couple OF platoon partners for CF and RF, sign a relatively cheap catcher, and bargain hunt for a reliever or two.

That said, I'd love to see us get creative on the trade front.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 6:44 PM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


Backloading deals doesn't really get you anywhere & doesn't fit Sandy's way IMO. What are we going to do forsake flexibility going forward again? If there is a player that fits for the long-term than sure... but not to sign some of these stop gap guys now.

The more i read and hear of late makes me wonder if Sandy has not stepped aside already. noidea


Last edited 12/1/2012 6:47 PM by xmulderx

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 6:58 PM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


I don't think Sandy has stepped aside.  He has always been at the whim of ownership.  All GMs are, especially when it comes to finances and team goals -- i.e. short-term versus long-term approaches.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 7:25 PM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


GREAT! It only makes sense. The fan-base, Org. needs it big time!.... The current frustrating, depressing etc. etc. vibe we currently have as a franchise can not be minimized. It can not go on for much longer.

I've been begging for this. Now let's go out there and do it smart.

I'm put this out there from the get... because we may have a chance to sign him now. I'm not a fan of C. Ross at 3 yrs, $21-24M (the suppose going rate for him).

Last edited 12/1/2012 7:29 PM by Gstacks177

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/1/2012 7:59 PM

Re: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


"They still won't splurge on a major deal. But the Mets hope their willingness to structure backloaded deals will translate into a wider pool of potential fits. Those types of deals could put players such as Scott Hairston back in play for the Mets."

bangheadbanghead
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 8:04 PM

Re: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



acerimusdux wrote: "They still won't splurge on a major deal. But the Mets hope their willingness to structure backloaded deals will translate into a wider pool of potential fits. Those types of deals could put players such as Scott Hairston back in play for the Mets."

bangheadbanghead

+1
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 8:26 PM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


Hey, they're bringing back all the guys from last year! Yippee!
_______________________________________________________________________

"The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed."
-Casey Stengel
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 8:47 PM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 




---------------------------------------------
--- DocK16 wrote:

I don't think Sandy has stepped aside.  He has always been at the whim of ownership.  All GMs are, especially when it comes to finances and team goals -- i.e. short-term versus long-term approaches.

---------------------------------------------

Even if back loading deals isn't Sandy's favorite thing he's probably excited at the prospect of at least being able to act like a GM. I bet it has been no fun whatsoever to have his job the past couple of years. I'm sure he'd love to be doing things to improve he major league team but his hands have been tied behind his back. Maybe he'll get to make some changes now and have some fun.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 9:22 PM

Re: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



acerimusdux wrote: "They still won't splurge on a major deal. But the Mets hope their willingness to structure backloaded deals will translate into a wider pool of potential fits. Those types of deals could put players such as Scott Hairston back in play for the Mets."

bangheadbanghead
I'll up you one.

bangheadbangheadbanghead
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 9:23 PM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



Gstacks177 wrote: GREAT! It only makes sense. The fan-base, Org. needs it big time!.... The current frustrating, depressing etc. etc. vibe we currently have as a franchise can not be minimized. It can not go on for much longer.

I've been begging for this. Now let's go out there and do it smart.

I'm put this out there from the get... because we may have a chance to sign him now. I'm not a fan of C. Ross at 3 yrs, $21-24M (the suppose going rate for him).
who is even out there to spend money on?  the only one I can think of is maybe AJ Pierzinski.
"Maybe it's time to make some moves."  - Sandy Alderson
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/1/2012 9:23 PM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



vinluvr wrote: Hey, they're bringing back all the guys from last year! Yippee!
34853_banana.gif
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2012 12:26 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



DuffyDyer wrote:
Gstacks177 wrote: GREAT! It only makes sense. The fan-base, Org. needs it big time!.... The current frustrating, depressing etc. etc. vibe we currently have as a franchise can not be minimized. It can not go on for much longer.

I've been begging for this. Now let's go out there and do it smart.

I'm put this out there from the get... because we may have a chance to sign him now. I'm not a fan of C. Ross at 3 yrs, $21-24M (the suppose going rate for him).
who is even out there to spend money on?  the only one I can think of is maybe AJ Pierzinski.
How about this one:

Tejada, Flores, Fulmer for J. Upton

Sign S. Drew-- 3 yrs, $24M-$27M... backloaded deal Making ~$4M in '13, rest in '14/'15.

Wright/Upton/Davis/Drew... It's a pretty good start.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2012 1:00 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



vinluvr wrote: Hey, they're bringing back all the guys from last year! Yippee!
No, they'll bring in Bixler.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/2/2012 2:22 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


It makes sense.

The farm system is deeper than it has been in a long long time - though the Mets probably won´t get much credit for it with only Zach Wheeler qualifying as a top 25 overall type prospect. And those usually (and wrongfully, considering that only 50 % of them become good major leaguers) dominate these rankings.

There is a ton of payroll space available for 2014 - even if you extend Dickey at 15 million and keep every non free agent currently on the roster, you´re looking at a projected 65 to 70 million payroll with an entire roster of bringing back the current talent. And backloading probably doesn´t mean that you tax the 2016 payroll but rather signing players now that receive an increase for 2014.

Of course, with the Bay deal restructured, Pelfrey & Torres non-tendered, we´re looking at a projected 80 million payroll for 2013 as of today and thus 15 to 20 million to spend this year under the current budget. So, unlike in September, the Mets could now be players for a Cody Ross, Ryan Ludwick and obviously Scott Hairston again. Which isn´t overly exciting but would fit in nicely as a RHH with 20+ HR pop. With Cody Ross being by far the best fit as a solid defender.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2012 8:10 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



---------------------------------------------
--- Gstacks177 wrote:


DuffyDyer wrote:
Gstacks177 wrote: GREAT! It only makes sense. The fan-base, Org. needs it big time!.... The current frustrating, depressing etc. etc. vibe we currently have as a franchise can not be minimized. It can not go on for much longer.

I've been begging for this. Now let's go out there and do it smart.

I'm put this out there from the get... because we may have a chance to sign him now. I'm not a fan of C. Ross at 3 yrs, $21-24M (the suppose going rate for him).
who is even out there to spend money on?  the only one I can think of is maybe AJ Pierzinski.
How about this one:

Tejada, Flores, Fulmer for J. Upton

Sign S. Drew-- 3 yrs, $24M-$27M... backloaded deal Making ~$4M in '13, rest in '14/'15.

Wright/Upton/Davis/Drew... It's a pretty good start.

---------------------------------------------
I was thinking about Drew as a possibility as well. I'm a big Tejada booster and would hate to move him but it would be a no brainer to do so for Upton. I wonder if that package would be close to enough. As a solid, young, cheap SS I'm sure Tejada has lots of trade value. And I still think Upton will be moved almost entirely for financial reasons so a package of young guys is probably the right idea.

What if you missed out on Drew? Would bringing Cedeno back to use as a stopgap be good enough under the circumstances?

I still want to keep RAD but your Upton idea my pair well with a Dickey trade that brings back a young SS? Any ideas?

Last edited 12/2/2012 8:13 AM by MookieLJL

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2012 8:36 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



Gstacks177 wrote:
DuffyDyer wrote:
Gstacks177 wrote: GREAT! It only makes sense. The fan-base, Org. needs it big time!.... The current frustrating, depressing etc. etc. vibe we currently have as a franchise can not be minimized. It can not go on for much longer.

I've been begging for this. Now let's go out there and do it smart.

I'm put this out there from the get... because we may have a chance to sign him now. I'm not a fan of C. Ross at 3 yrs, $21-24M (the suppose going rate for him).
who is even out there to spend money on?  the only one I can think of is maybe AJ Pierzinski.
How about this one:

Tejada, Flores, Fulmer for J. Upton

Sign S. Drew-- 3 yrs, $24M-$27M... backloaded deal Making ~$4M in '13, rest in '14/'15.

Wright/Upton/Davis/Drew... It's a pretty good start.

That's an interesting offer for Upton.  Arizona is clearly in the market for a SS, I just don't think Tejada is nearly enough to justify dealing Upton, even with Fulmer and Flores added to the deal.  Not for a win-now team.

I also think that's entirely too much for Drew.  I get the impression that most believe his recent ankle injury will forever limit his range at SS, and his bat is already suspect.  I might be willing to do 2/12, but no more than that.  IMO, he's all name and reputation at this point. Not the guy he used to be.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2012 8:40 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


I still think they should make a run at Hamilton.  WTF not?  Santana's salary comes off the books next year, so there is only one year overlap.  I do not know if he will break the bank, but he will certainly excite the fan base.  Before you go on about his addiction issues, protective clauses can be put in the contract to cover that.

He also might be receptive to a deferred deal.  Due to his addiction problems, he is given limited $$ to spend by his (for the lack of a better word) babysitters.  Can you imagine having him in our lineup?  They should kick the tires on Hamilton.

I would also consider Victorino.  If this team can buy some hitters, maybe it can sell some extra bodies for bullpen help.  The starters are solid.  Catching is a lost cause right now.  No one is avail.

If the franchise wants to make $$, it needs to spend some $$.  Don'r spend it foolishly.  If you  can't get what you want, don't piss $$ away like the Wilpons used to do.

"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other ten percent I'll probably waste." - Tug McGraw

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2012 8:44 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 



mookie13 wrote: I still think they should make a run at Hamilton.  WTF not?  Santana's salary comes off the books next year, so there is only one year overlap.  I do not know if he will break the bank, but he will certainly excite the fan base.  Before you go on about his addiction issues, protective clauses can be put in the contract to cover that.

He also might be receptive to a deferred deal.  Due to his addiction problems, he is given limited $$ to spend by his (for the lack of a better word) babysitters.  Can you imagine having him in our lineup?  They should kick the tires on Hamilton.

I would also consider Victorino.  If this team can buy some hitters, maybe it can sell some extra bodies for bullpen help.  The starters are solid.  Catching is a lost cause right now.  No one is avail.

If the franchise wants to make $$, it needs to spend some $$.  Don'r spend it foolishly.  If you  can't get what you want, don't piss $$ away like the Wilpons used to do.

Because he's one of the riskiest FA to come around in years (both from an injury, skill deterioration standpoint and psychologically) and the Mets should avoid riskier than normal long-term deals like the plague.

If we were going to make a major play in FA, I'd rather deal Dickey for a bat and sign Greinke.  That's not something I'm really advocating for though.

I also don't buy the "if the franchise wants to make $$, it has to spend $$" logic.  Spending guarantees nothing.

Last edited 12/2/2012 8:48 AM by DocK16

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2012 8:49 AM

RE: Newsday: Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts 


http://metsblog.com/metsblog/m...-contracts-now/

Marc Carig of Newsday says the Mets could offer free agents backloaded contracts now so to entice players with multi-year offers.

“You can borrow some from the future,” a person with knowledge of the situation told Carig.

However, Carig says the Mets won’t splurge on a major deal, but they hope this strategy gives them more options in the free agent market this winter.

As for addressing their current needs in the outfield or catcher, the source told Carig they could acquire a variety of platoon players and attempt to piecemeal a short-term solution together.

When asked about his willingness to backload new contracts this winter, Sandy Alderson told reporters in October, “I don’t like to pay for today with deferrals until tomorrow.”

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >