Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

How does this kid not have any offers?

Posted: 12/21/2012 6:45 AM

How does this kid not have any offers? 


I just ran across Brandon Murphy from Liberty high school film. And this kid did some unreal things this year. Tell me what you think.
www.hudl.com/athlete/128163/brandon-murphy
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:01 AM

Re: How does this kid not have any offers? 


Extremely underrated. The catch he had where the ball went completely around his back was unreal. But on the screen pass, the second highlight, the ball bounced off the ground. Good awareness by the kid to keep running though.
Follow me on Twitter @mister_mvp for as much news on ASU, AZ Cardinals, and local HS football as you can handle.

Last edited 12/21/2012 8:02 AM by Tarantula

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:08 AM

Re: How does this kid not have any offers? 


extremely!!!!! Can you believe he does have not 1 offer!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:13 AM

Re: How does this kid not have any offers? 



animalbilia wrote: extremely!!!!! Can you believe he does have not 1 offer!!!
Must be because they list him at 5'7, 150. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. He would have a shot walking on somewhere though I bet. If I were him, I'd give Chip Long a call over at ASU and get info on their walk-on program.
Follow me on Twitter @mister_mvp for as much news on ASU, AZ Cardinals, and local HS football as you can handle.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:21 AM

Re: How does this kid not have any offers? 



Tarantula wrote:
animalbilia wrote: extremely!!!!! Can you believe he does have not 1 offer!!!
Must be because they list him at 5'7, 150. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. He would have a shot walking on somewhere though I bet. If I were him, I'd give Chip Long a call over at ASU and get info on their walk-on program.

Why would you ever suggest a kid with that size walk on a major college program? You even said they are a dime a dozen his size (and they are). Why not reach out to D2 and D3 programs so the kid can play. Unless he just wants to say he was on a D1 roster walking on is a dumb idea in my opinion. Go somewhere where they will pay for the education even part.

The world doesn't begin and end with D1 football programs. The road is littered with guys that played D1 football (and some even very productive) that eventually nobody gives a crap about.

To think college recruiters don't know what they are doing because they missed out on 5 foot 7 150 pound kid is silly. Playing well against Sunrise Mountain doesn't mean you can play against Oregon. Think about that for a second.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:27 AM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


Actually Deanthony Thomas is probably only an inch taller then him and weighed the same as Brandon going into college. So actually "willis" ur wrong! He could go to a d1 and play a slot wr or start off as a return guy. I think he has the skill to actually play at a smaller d1 school. Im not saying he will go to a notre dame or usc. But come on hawaiu has had short wrs. I also know there was a wr who got.drafted a few years ago that was 5'5 as a return guy to the texans. So this kid could go to a small d1 or a d1aa.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:30 AM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


And the.guy thats in the NFL. His name is trindon holiday 5'5 169
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:44 AM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


This kid looks legit but Willis is right, nothing wrong with being the BMOC at a D1aa or D2. Comparing him to Holliday and Thomas is a little out there though, those guys are world class sprinters..
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 8:44 AM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 



animalbilia wrote: Actually Deanthony Thomas is probably only an inch taller then him and weighed the same as Brandon going into college. So actually "willis" ur wrong! He could go to a d1 and play a slot wr or start off as a return guy. I think he has the skill to actually play at a smaller d1 school. Im not saying he will go to a notre dame or usc. But come on hawaiu has had short wrs. I also know there was a wr who got.drafted a few years ago that was 5'5 as a return guy to the texans. So this kid could go to a small d1 or a d1aa.

Trindon Holiday is a former world-class sprinter and is in the NFL because of that speed.  I'm not aware of DeAnthony Thomas' sprint times but know he is where he is because he has unworldly speed.  If you were to turn either of those guys loose on Arizona's D-3 ranks they would be literally unstoppable.

"You've got to remember, that these are just simple farmers, these are people of the land, the common clay of the new west. You know . . . morons."

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 9:08 AM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


True, but I was at the Combine when Trindon recorded one of the fastest 40yd times in NFL combine history.  The guy ran a 10.07 100m in the 2007 USA Championships, and recorded 10.03 while running for LSU...I do not think your comparison is sound.  However, if players are on the smaller side, then academics become even more of a differentiator.  I think his size is fine for some of the smaller conferences, independents or even the Academies.  Student academics and HCs that understand how to market their players are areas often overlooked.  I have recruited HS players for D1 and I can tell you the disparity in HS programs & coaches are great...some make it absolutely painful to recruit their student-athletes.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 9:26 AM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


No im not comparing their playing ability. Dont get me wrong Brandon is really really good but those other guys are elite. But im saying just because he is small doesnt mean he couldnt go d1 and actually play. To be honest brandon is better then a d2 d3 athlete. If you can see on the film the kid is fast. He outruns everyone. and saying thomas would destroy the d3 ranks is cool. So did brandon. As a matter of fact deanthony wasnt even the full time back at crenshaw high school. But I just think brandon being on the smaller side should not be a reason he couldnt get a full ride to an nau or portland state or any where in the big sky. You get where im coming from?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/21/2012 10:18 AM

Re: How does this kid not have any offers? 



Watchutalkinboutwillis wrote:
Tarantula wrote:
animalbilia wrote: extremely!!!!! Can you believe he does have not 1 offer!!!
Must be because they list him at 5'7, 150. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. He would have a shot walking on somewhere though I bet. If I were him, I'd give Chip Long a call over at ASU and get info on their walk-on program.

Why would you ever suggest a kid with that size walk on a major college program? You even said they are a dime a dozen his size (and they are). Why not reach out to D2 and D3 programs so the kid can play. Unless he just wants to say he was on a D1 roster walking on is a dumb idea in my opinion. Go somewhere where they will pay for the education even part.

The world doesn't begin and end with D1 football programs. The road is littered with guys that played D1 football (and some even very productive) that eventually nobody gives a crap about.

To think college recruiters don't know what they are doing because they missed out on 5 foot 7 150 pound kid is silly. Playing well against Sunrise Mountain doesn't mean you can play against Oregon. Think about that for a second.

Meet RJ Robinson, who walked on at ASU at 5'8, 150 lbs... as a RB:

RJ Robinson article

Follow me on Twitter @mister_mvp for as much news on ASU, AZ Cardinals, and local HS football as you can handle.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 11:23 AM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 



animalbilia wrote: No im not comparing their playing ability. Dont get me wrong Brandon is really really good but those other guys are elite. But im saying just because he is small doesnt mean he couldnt go d1 and actually play. To be honest brandon is better then a d2 d3 athlete. If you can see on the film the kid is fast. He outruns everyone. and saying thomas would destroy the d3 ranks is cool. So did brandon. As a matter of fact deanthony wasnt even the full time back at crenshaw high school. But I just think brandon being on the smaller side should not be a reason he couldnt get a full ride to an nau or portland state or any where in the big sky. You get where im coming from?

From the video Brandon is a WR/Slot not a RB.  So you can't compare him to DeAnthony Thomas a RB.  Is that correct?  Does Brandon run track?  Does he win state in the 100, or get world class 100 (of 40) times?  It seems you are trying to compare his size to some guys but then leave out the important comparisons to those guys.  It comes down to size in the end, and if you have intangibles that make a scout overlook size then you might get a shot.  Those guys you are trying to compare him to have world class sprinting times, that allow scouts to see beyond their size (Probably more than that too but we don't know those details ... work ethic, toughness, nastiness etc...). Yes his highlights are awesome and look very impressive, but that doesn't equal D1 offers.  I hate the terms dime a dozen, but there are a lot of other kids that are just like Brandon that don't have offers either, and some have way better highlights.  In D1 football size is king, once you get there everyone is big, strong, and fast, so if you are 5'5" and 150 then you better be world class fast or you are going to be smashed.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 12:18 PM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


I dont know.if he runs track. But Brandon is fast as hell. Film does not lie. you show me any kids like brandon and then u win. Obviously u are only speaking of big time schools when you say it comes down to size. There is a guy that came from new.mexico state that went to the dolphins I believe named chris williams who is the same size as brandon now that was a rookie o ed the year in canada as well. So your arguing size. That only matters if your talent isnt up yo par. And Brandon looks awesome to me. its like this. If your not tall you better have syre hands and you better be fast. And who knows that weight might be from the previous year. He could be bigger. I really dont know. But the kid has talent. I have not seen evrryone in the state but I know this kid is good. I also heard he is going to the california vs arizona game. Is that true? If so we will see if he can do the same things there. If so mu arguement is valid!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 12:21 PM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


Also I never compared anyones talent just size so you keep sauing about camparing these kids. And not once did I bring up anthonys ability as a rb. Also Anthony plays slot as well ad pr and kr. If I wanted to compate them it would be at those positions.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 12:22 PM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


More than likely he will need to catch someones eye and have a couple great games to get a D1 offer next season. I just don't think he is D1. That catch was nasty though. Should definitely look at smaller schools if D1s do not come a calling.

Who is the projected new guy coming in for Rogers? That will make a difference for this kid.

PS - nothing wrong with being affiliated with a school and posting these types of things. All your post have been on Liberty football. To say you just ran across the film is kind of silly.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 12:45 PM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


Great footwork, great acceleration, tough, great hands...... 5'7" 150 enough said! Unfortunately it is about size, and yes their are a few exceptions to the rule, but not many! This Kid could play DIII ball no doubt, and I'm going to send it to a few coaches in D-3, but if he wants to go any higher I think he needs to put on 30 to 40 pounds of Muscle (in the right places) and think education and football as a way to pay for some of the cost.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 12:48 PM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 



AZHSFB11 wrote: More than likely he will need to catch someones eye and have a couple great games to get a D1 offer next season. I just don't think he is D1. That catch was nasty though. Should definitely look at smaller schools if D1s do not come a calling.

Who is the projected new guy coming in for Rogers? That will make a difference for this kid.

PS - nothing wrong with being affiliated with a school and posting these types of things. All your post have been on Liberty football. To say you just ran across the film is kind of silly.
Nicely said, and why to maintain the integrity of the site. thank you

Last edited 12/21/2012 12:48 PM by astro9046

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 1:15 PM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 


No what I meant wad I just saw his film. I love liberty. I just meant that this was the first time seeing his film. Not that this is the firsr time ive seen him play. But I get where your coming from. And this kid.is a senior. So he needs something tthis year. I just think a small d1 or d1aa or a major d2 school needs to take a look at him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 2:56 PM

RE: How does this kid not have any offers? 



  wrote: No what I meant wad I just saw his film. I love liberty. I just meant that this was the first time seeing his film. Not that this is the firsr time ive seen him play. But I get where your coming from. And this kid.is a senior. So he needs something tthis year. I just think a small d1 or d1aa or a major d2 school needs to take a look at him.
I think by you showcasing him on this blog has done a lot for himbiggrin; however he should go to winter, spring and summer combines to get noticed. I'm thinking his ability is very similar to a lot of small athletic guys, it just hard to compete against the 6'-6'4" guys with the same athletic ability just more strength. If he loves football he will go where he has an opportunity to play, also walk on's for the most part are asked to walk on, so if they like what they see at a combine we will be asked. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >