Posted: 01/29/2012 9:43 PM
PORTLAND, Ore. – The No. 56 Idaho men’s tennis team had a challenging task at hand with three matches in two days against Missouri-Kansas City, No. 75 Oregon and Portland, and the Vandals left their Oregon swing with one win and a pair of losses.
Idaho split its two matches on Saturday, beating UMKC 4-0 before falling to Oregon 7-0 in a grueling four-hour match
“To get a win against a team like UMKC that made the NCAA’s last year was a nice start to the tough weekend of tennis,” Idaho coach Jeff Beaman said. “To compete that hard against Oregon is just something the team should grow from.”
Despite losing 7-0 to Oregon, three of the six singles matches went into three sets or a tie-break, as did one of the three doubles matches.
After playing in Eugene, Ore., on Saturday the Vandals made the trip to Portland to face Portland Pilots on Sunday, falling 5-2 to close out the weekend.
Idaho falls to 3-3 on the season after its trio of weekend matches. Idaho junior Marius Cirstea went 2-1 at No. 1 singles for the Vandals over the weekend, and freshman Cesar Torres went 2-1 at No. 6 singles.
The action will begin to slow down for the Vandals, who played three matches in Seattle and three in Oregon their first two weekends of the 2012 spring season. Idaho’s only match next week is in Spokane, Wash., at Gonzaga on Feb. 3. The Vandals won’t play again after that until Feb. 18 when it visits Nebraska.
No. 56 Idaho vs. Missouri-Kansas City
Jan. 28, 2012
1. Marius Cirstea (UI) def. Nino Hasandedic (UMKC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Abid Akbar (UI) vs. Grant Fleming (UMKC) 5-7, 2-2, unfinished
3. Alan Shin (UI) def. Tomas Patino (UMKC) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
4. C. Ramos Salzar (UI) def. Cameron Schoenhofer (UMKC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Jose Bendeck (UI) vs. Conner Edwards (UMKC) 1-6, 7-6, 0-3, unfinished
6. Cesar Torres (UI) vs. Gustavo Guerin (UMKC) 5-7, 3-3, unfinished
1. Jose Bendeck/Marius Cirstea (UI) def. Grant Fleming/Tomas Patino (UMKC) 8-3
2. Abid Akbar/C. Ramos Salazar (UI) def. Nino Hasandedic/Cameron Schoenhofer (UMKC) 8-3
3. Andrew Dobbs/Jake Knox (UI) def. Gustavo Guerin/Commer Edwards (UMKC) 8-2
No. 56 Idaho at No. 75 Oregon
1. Alex Rovello (UO) def. Marius Cirstea (Idaho) 7-5, 7-5
2. Robin Carmbier (UO) def. Abid Akbar (Idaho) 6-1, 6-7, 6-6 (7-4)
3. Jeff Mullen (UO) def. Alan Shin (Idaho) 6-2, 6-7, 6-1
4. Daniel Sardu (UO) def. C. Ramos Salazar (Idaho) 7-6, 6-4
5. Jose Izquierdo (UO) def. Jose Bendeck (Idaho) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
6. Aaron Clissold (UO) def. Cesar Torres (Idaho) 6-4, 6-7 (10-7)
1. Cambier/Mullen (UO) def. Cirstea/Bendeck (Idaho) 8-5
2. Akbar/Ramos Salazar (Idaho) def. Clissold (Sardu (UO) 7-7 (7-5)
3. Izquierdo/Rovello (UO) def. Dobbs/Knox (Idaho) 8-5
No. 56 Idaho at Portland
Jan. 29, 2012
1. Marius Cirstea (Idaho) def. Michel HuKwo (POR); 6-4,6-7,7-6
2. Stefan Micov (POR) def. Abid Akbar (Idaho); 6-2,7-6
3. Geoff Hernandez (POR) def. Alan Shin (Idaho); 6-0,6-1
4. Alex Ferrero (POR) def. Cristobal Ramos Salazar (Idaho); 6-4,6-4
5. Justin Guay (POR) def. Jose Bendeck (Idaho); 3-6,6-3,10-4
6. Cesar Torres (Idaho) def. Jackson Martin (POR); 6-4,6-2
1. Alex Ferrero/Michel HuKwo (POR) def. Abid Akbar/Cristobal Ramos Salazar (Idaho); 8-5
2. Geoff Hernandez/Stefan Micov (POR) def. Marius Cirstea/Jose Bendeck (Idaho); 8-5
3. Daniel Coelho/Justin Guay (POR) def. Andrew Dobbs/Jake Knox (Idaho); 9-7
Written by Nick Heidelberger
Idaho Athletic Media Relations
Copyright © 2013
and Scout.com. All rights reserved. This website is an unofficial independent source of news and information, and is not affiliated with any school, team, or league.
MSN PrivacyLegalAdvertise on MSNAbout our adsRSS
© 2012 Microsoft|