Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Franklin explains obscene gesture

Posted: 3/12/2012 1:49 AM

Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Franklin comes clean by saying that he did, in fact, throw a middle finger during the game. But he claims it wasn't directed at the ref, but rather a Lobo fan who was getting under his skin and called him the n-word.

I wasn't there, but I've been trading tweets with with the guy that covers SDSU for rivals.com. He said he was seated right below this fan and he never heard any offensive comments. He also stands by his comment that Franklin directed his middle finger at the ref, not the fan. I'll post the tweets later.

Accusing someone of using racial slur is quite serious. I sure hope that Franklin didn't make up this story to cover his butt.

Last edited 3/12/2012 1:50 AM by unm094

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2012 2:05 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


15,000 fans yelling, people can't hear their buddy asking if they want a beer at the concession stand, and yet this guy whose already proven many a thug moment (basketball off a players face at max speed, court demeanor), first lies to everyone and the reporter who asked about the finger...now covers his tracks by the sympathy card by saying someone in the most diverse fan base of the country- New Mexico, with a majority of minorities- used a word that would be offensive to 90% of the players on the court- including UNM.

I don't buy it. The irresponsible young man  was just called for an offensive foul running into the LOBO D  in a wild fashion, his team was getting whooped by UNM, again, and he was most likely called out.

To say he heard an individual fan call him a racial slur is a cover up that would best mimic his original lie of saying he never gave the finger. He's lying, I would place 50:1 odds given all the circumstantial evidence about his prior known character before the game, after the game when questioned by a reporter, and then the excuse given at the end for why he did it. 

Hes a young kid, immature like many, the problem is the lack of integrity to make this up. GO LOBOS!!! GO wolf pack!

unm094 wrote:

Franklin comes clean by saying that he did, in fact, throw a middle finger during the game. But he claims it wasn't directed at the ref, but rather a Lobo fan who was getting under his skin and called him the n-word.

I wasn't there, but I've been trading tweets with with the guy that covers SDSU for rivals.com. He said he was seated right below this fan and he never heard any offensive comments. He also stands by his comment that Franklin directed his middle finger at the ref, not the fan. I'll post the tweets later.

Accusing someone of using racial slur is quite serious. I sure hope that Franklin didn't make up this story to cover his butt.

Reply | Quote
  • LoboBaller
  • All-American
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 1162 posts this site

Posted: 3/12/2012 2:10 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


If Franklin heard comments like that during the game, other SDSU players on the court, Lobo players, and the refs would have heard it also.  I think Franklin is fabricating a story to cover his actions.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2012 2:15 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Here's the tweet from the SDSU rivals.com guy...

Edward Lewis @ EdwardLewisASR Was sitting right underneath the fan in question. Never once heard a racial slur or family insult hurled at Jamaal.

Last edited 3/12/2012 2:15 AM by unm094

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2012 8:19 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


I can assure you the "N" word was never used. What was really said after the foul was "You should have passed the ball Jamaal".
Reply | Quote
  • ElChingon
  • Lobo Senior
  • Rating: 3.3/5 this site
  • 409 posts this site

Posted: 3/12/2012 10:09 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


We were right there and the Lobo fan in question was in my group.  It started during the CSU game.  It was all clean.  Stuff like "Jamal, does your grampa know that you're wearing his pajamas," etc.  Jamal started making eye contact and it continued during warm ups for the UNM game.  There was never anything offensive and not even off color.  No cuss words were used.

I should also point out that were more than a few African Americans around us and the Court Monitor was right below us. 

On the particular charging call, Jamal was told something "You should have passed the ball, Jamal." 

Nothing racial was ever said and, if it was, others around would heard and probably objected to any such statements.  Also, do you believe that the Court monitor would not have done something it.

Jamal is punking out and making excuses in trying to explain his lapse in judgment.  Simply put, nothing was ever said about his family (unless he took offense to the grampa statement noted above) and the N word was definitely not used.

Be a Man Jamal!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Do try to make this into something it wasn't.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 10:09 AM

RE: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


ya right! He was tellin that ref how he thought he was #1! ,,|,,

coloradolobofan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 11:09 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Lobo fans are LOUD and obnoxious. They are PROUD and sometimes RUDEwink but never obscene or disrespectful like that. It NEVER  happened and he is playing the race card. Jamal is such a punk,...tongue

Extra Large animated flag of New Mexico

Last edited 3/12/2012 11:09 AM by rudyc

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2012 11:28 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Not like the Rebel Fans.  We sat next to their student section Friday night and when calls by the refs went against their wishes, they maliciously chanted "Bulls**t and they were disrespectful of other fans around them!  Consuming too much beers had a impact on their overall rudeness.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 11:42 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


I thought i saw that bird flying on the tv set saturday evening...wasn't sure at first if it was his index finger or the bird because it was at the bottom of the screen...that is a cop out saying someone called him that word, i am sure he was a bit bent that his team was getting schooled (again) by unm...now, in all fairness, there are bad fans of all teams, professional, collegiate, and down the ladder to t-ball...i do remember one player being referred to as a "gorilla" on this board and the "N" thrown out at a game in The Pit to one of the opposing teams players...unfortunately, it happens everywhere...

good luck against Long Beach St...Go Lobos!

and Go Aggies!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 11:58 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Honestly, I feel sorry for the kid... he may have THOUGHT he heard that word as the noise of thousands of people cascading down upon you things get muddled. He was under pressure, and cracked a little bit.. Under similar circumstances I and just about everyone has responded in way we aren't proud of.

Bottom line... Lobo fans got under his skin he didn't have a good game, as long as they kept it clean which they may or may not have its all good.

Proverbs 18:24
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:02 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Bandito,
Don't apoligze for Franklin. It is a game and there are fans. I didn't see any Lobo fans doing anything but enjoying the experience and cheering like HELL for the team. Oh and getting on the refs. I was as low as you can get in the T&M and I heard nothing but cheering from the Lobo fans around me.

Extra Large animated flag of New Mexico

Reply | Quote
  • ElChingon
  • Lobo Senior
  • Rating: 3.3/5 this site
  • 409 posts this site

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:06 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


It was kept clean and legit smack talk.  I was right there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:11 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


And one last thing Lobo fans as we start getting all self-righteous here...

Didn't our head basketball coach call Tavenari and anal orifice on National TV?

Franklin screwed up... Let's move on

Video of Alford

Proverbs 18:24
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Last edited 3/12/2012 12:14 PM by Bandit0

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:13 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


According to the Journal this AM, he has been public reprimanded by the MWC.

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any directilon your choose" Dr. Seuss



Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:19 PM

RE: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


i think it boils down to Steve Fisher. You'd NEVER see a Steve Alford Lobo throw the bird to a ref, fans or each other. Nor would he allow a player to throw a 100 mph fastball off an opponents face. Fisher needs to realize he has one of the most talented basketball players in the Mountain West, but he's an absolute head case. And that is something Fisher should be working on, not publicly advertising how deep and devout his love for Franklin is. If Franklin can figure it out, i.e. not get so emotional during games, or letting fans get him out of his game, he could be the actual MW POY. (sorry, still don't see anyone else but Drew as this years POY, award or not).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:25 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 



Bandit0 wrote: And one last thing Lobo fans as we start getting all self-righteous here...

Didn't our head basketball coach call Tavenari and anal orifice on National TV?

Franklin screwed up... Let's move on

Video of Alford

Different thing,..Tavanari was an A$%^& that game. It was the truth and many Wyo fans at the tourney that year had T shirts that said "Alford was right!"wink

Extra Large animated flag of New Mexico

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:26 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 



Bandit0 wrote: And one last thing Lobo fans as we start getting all self-righteous here...

Didn't our head basketball coach call Tavenari and anal orifice on National TV?

Franklin screwed up... Let's move on

Video of Alford
I agree it should be left alone, but if Franklin lies about the reason he flipped the bird and tells everyone that it was because a Lobo fan used the N word I find exception to that. lying about someone using the N word is just as bad if not worse then if the Lobo fan actually did say it which I doubt very seriously the Lobo fan did.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 12:30 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


The funny thing i saw from the liar was when he would try to Intimidate some of the Lobos..  kinda reminded me of the kid always bulling or trying to bully by acting like he was gonna punch em trying to make em flinch..  gave me a good laugh.rolleyes

Last edited 3/12/2012 12:31 PM by 72lonewolf

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2012 1:26 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 



VaLobo wrote: I can assure you the "N" word was never used. What was really said after the foul was "You should have passed the ball Jamaal".

That comment sounds like it came from one of the SDSU fan, probably frustrated with his play.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2012 1:39 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


NT
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 2:30 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 



rudyc wrote:
Bandit0 wrote: And one last thing Lobo fans as we start getting all self-righteous here...

Didn't our head basketball coach call Tavenari and anal orifice on National TV?

Franklin screwed up... Let's move on

Video of Alford

Different thing,..Tavanari was an A$%^& that game. It was the truth and many Wyo fans at the tourney that year had T shirts that said "Alford was right!"wink
Both are bush league in my opinion, but under the circumstances I can understand how a person can lose it.

Every single Lobo football game The Red Menace shows up an hour and half early to heckle the opposing team and coaches... We love to do it, and we try to keep it PG-13... We try not to do the "Hey #12 you suck!" Because that is boring, but we try to get under their skin as much as possible.

Well through the years we have caught the bird, or verbal attack from UTEP players and coaches, BYU players, Air Force coaches and players, NMSU, Texas Tech, Utah St., A Baylor player had to be restrained because he wanted to come up into the stands and fight, Arizona players, Texas A&M, SDSU, Wyoming and many many more...

I don't get all upset because... WE DESERVE IT! We are getting under their skin and that is the best or only way they can respond... This is the same situation. Kid responded in a bad way, Alford responded in a bad way... It happens!

Unfortunately, in the heat of the moment that is the only thing we can think of is to shout out a curse word. It ain't right, but I don't think it is a capital offense either and before we start tossing those rocks, we should look at our own pad.

Proverbs 18:24
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Last edited 3/12/2012 2:30 PM by Bandit0

Reply | Quote
  • MM1907
  • Member
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 1 posts this site

Posted: 3/12/2012 3:25 PM

RE: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Would like to speak to the fan in question about what was said and what he saw. If anyone can put me in contact with him, I'd be grateful.

Tim Sullivan
San Diego Union-Tribune
619-293-1033
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2012 10:45 PM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


The real story here is how JF sat at the press conference and looked the press, fans, and everyone who was watching and said he didn't do it.  He would have alot more credability with his apology and accusations of the racial slur if he would not have blantly lied when he was asked.  No one can deny he is a liar, he told that lie on TV.  So why is anyone even entertaining the idea that he heard the N word, when nobody else did.  Really Weak excuse for losing his cool.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/13/2012 7:38 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


That is absolutely correct. The coach of the year ought to be teaching the Player of the Year (in some peoples view, anyway) how to conduct himself instead of acting like he did. Where is Fisher in all of this?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/13/2012 7:40 AM

RE: Franklin explains obscene gesture 



MM1907 wrote: Would like to speak to the fan in question about what was said and what he saw. If anyone can put me in contact with him, I'd be grateful.

Tim Sullivan
San Diego Union-Tribune
619-293-1033

Read the thread. One of the persons posting was there and heard the exchange.

Extra Large animated flag of New Mexico

Reply | Quote
  • hunterig
  • All-MWC 1st Team
  • Rating: 3.6/5 this site
  • 999 posts this site

Posted: 3/13/2012 8:28 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


I disagree that it should be left alone.

First, there is a standard for a conference. I remember when Jimmy Carroll(?) of Hawaii did the same during a WAC Tournament game in Abq. He was suspended for the next tournament game. That is the traditional suspension by most conferences.

Second, if the fan used no racist language, then Franklin did not play the "sympathy" card, he egregiously played the racist card. This is a more serious matter.

He should be suspended, for the gesture, for the first conference game of next season. For using racism to blame others for his actions, this young man "not a kid, Bandit0, should be suspended for the first 2 or 3 games (not preseason) next year.

I would not, because this was within a conference atmosphere, suspend him for the NCAA Tournament.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/13/2012 9:56 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


I wouldn't "leave this alone" either. The "POY" (notice the quotation marks) flips off a ref on national tv, during the conference championship game. I'm not saying put him on trial or anything. But he should not be given a free pass. You better bet when Franklin shows up again at the PIT, our fans, and especially our student section will not, and should not forget what happened and will remind him.

And one other thing. To then compare this to our head coach, who was provoked, doing something very different, and then post a link showing the video... I mean, come on... really? I realize you're trying to put things in perspective, but don't stand up for Franklin at the expense of UNM and the Lobos.

Occupy University Stadium!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/13/2012 10:05 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 



PITScreamer wrote:

I wouldn't "leave this alone" either. The "POY" (notice the quotation marks) flips off a ref on national tv, during the conference championship game. I'm not saying put him on trial or anything. But he should not be given a free pass. You better bet when Franklin shows up again at the PIT, our fans, and especially our student section will not, and should not forget what happened and will remind him.

And one other thing. To then compare this to our head coach, who was provoked, doing something very different, and then post a link showing the video... I mean, come on... really? I realize you're trying to put things in perspective, but don't stand up for Franklin at the expense of UNM and the Lobos.

No I'm just showing the hypocrisy of fans getting onto this guy because he is wearing a different jersey. The fact is Franklin is wearing a SDSU jersey and that is the only reason people are astonished or shocked...

What he did was stupid no doubt, but it is stupidity that many men both young and old have done and later regret.

And Screamer just because you are "provoked" doesn't make it okay. Because really whether someone used a racially derogatory name on Franklin or not... He was being provoked as well...

Proverbs 18:24
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/13/2012 10:40 AM

Re: Franklin explains obscene gesture 


Time to move on
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >