Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Do you believe government...

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:27 AM

Do you believe government... 


...should exist to serve the people or should people exist to serve the government?  Do you prefer your government's buildings to be more lavish than the home of the average citizen or just good enough to get the job done?  Do you believe our president and congress should be beholden to the same standards the people must live by or do you prefer the government elite to be above the people?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 12:47 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


rolleyes
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 1:29 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



belkins wrote: rolleyes

I take it's ok with you when government spares no expense to build lavish, opulent government buildings, right?  It happens.  The rest of us have to live more modestly as government takes from us to do it.  Do you believe that's "good" government?  We're here to serve government or they're here for us?  Which is it?  How about the president and congress being exempt from laws that apply to us?  Do you believe that's "good" government?  Why is the government elite exempted but we must comply?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 1:42 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



K9Buck wrote:
belkins wrote: rolleyes

I take it's ok with you when government spares no expense to build lavish, opulent government buildings, right?  It happens.  The rest of us have to live more modestly as government takes from us to do it.  Do you believe that's "good" government?  We're here to serve government or they're here for us?  Which is it?  How about the president and congress being exempt from laws that apply to us?  Do you believe that's "good" government?  Why is the government elite exempted but we must comply?
I would guess that 90% of the most lavish opulent buildings are government buildings. Your questions are too down to earth.  They make in very difficult for certain types to answer honestly.  How can there be any doubt about the right answers? By the people! For the people! It's a no-brainer.
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"It's easier to fool people, than it is to convince them they've been fooled."   Mark Twain
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 2:45 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


Well, I thought we might be able to find some common ground starting with whether or not government exists to serve the needs of its citizenry.  We'll see.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 2:55 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


I'm not sure where you're going with this.  You make reference to 'opulent' government buildings; I live in a city that is the capital of our state and the center of federal government for the state, as well.  While the capital building is undoubtedly opulent, I can give you at least half a dozen examples of privately- or corporately-owned buildings that are much more opulent than the state and federal office buildings. 

Buildings such as the Capitol, the Supreme Court Building, etc are meant to be more than functional spaces; they are the seats of our government and they are meant to impress.  I have no issue with this.  I say again, however, in my experience the more 'functional' government buildings I have been in are no better than (and in some cases shabbier than) the corporate buildings in which I have worked.

As far as the legal exemptions go, they are still susceptible to prosecution for Treason, breach of the peace, and felonies while their house is in session, and all crimes when they're home.  The reason for the Speech or Debate Clause may be a bit outdated, but I don't see it being repealed via amendment any time soon.

Look, I'm not a proponent of big government; I believe that less government would be good for just about everyone (except, perhaps, the governing). At the same time, I think that government has problems much larger than the piles of wood and stone wherein government business is conducted.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 3:04 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


To answer the other question, of course government exists to serve the governed.  And, believe it or not, in many ways it actually does.  Drive on a road anywhere outside of a private housing development.  Go out to your mailbox and bring in that birthday card from Aunt Gladys. 

Of course there are people who go into goverment for the wrong reasons.  And there are many more who go in for good and noble reasons and lose their way.  Yet time and again we don't vote them out...

I think I see what you're driving at with this thread, but don't expect much debate; you posed the question as though the answer was a foregone conclusion.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 5:57 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


You mean like the white house?


---------------------------------------------
--- K9Buck wrote:


belkins wrote: rolleyes

I take it's ok with you when government spares no expense to build lavish, opulent government buildings, right?  It happens.  The rest of us have to live more modestly as government takes from us to do it.  Do you believe that's "good" government?  We're here to serve government or they're here for us?  Which is it?  How about the president and congress being exempt from laws that apply to us?  Do you believe that's "good" government?  Why is the government elite exempted but we must comply?

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:47 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


The less government, the better.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:01 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


AJ, you are not a small government conservative by the farthest stretch of the imagination.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:39 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


What?

You're nuts.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:44 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


Your foreign policy pursuits would increase the debt 50% if it wouldn't double it. True story.  Find a real small government conservative and tell them what you've told us.  See how it goes.  You're a neocon on steroids, and if you've paid any attention the last 5 years, zat colour iz very 'out' zis season.

Last edited 7/21/2014 9:45 PM by Badgers919

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:51 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



Luthernorse1 wrote: To answer the other question, of course government exists to serve the governed.  And, believe it or not, in many ways it actually does.  Drive on a road anywhere outside of a private housing development.  Go out to your mailbox and bring in that birthday card from Aunt Gladys. 

Of course there are people who go into goverment for the wrong reasons.  And there are many more who go in for good and noble reasons and lose their way.  Yet time and again we don't vote them out...

I think I see what you're driving at with this thread, but don't expect much debate; you posed the question as though the answer was a foregone conclusion.
I've been reading your posts and you seem like a fairly well balanced and fair individual.  Above you make some generalizations which are hard to deny.  But there are deeper problems which deserve attention. Government grows and grows and grows.  It can't survive without money but it's not in the business of making money; rather it simply takes it from those who earn it.  The founders would be appalled at the scope and cost of government. What troubles me most is that above all else politics and ideology take priority over civil discourse and problem-solving. The spectre of the DC culture entices many potentially effective public servants.  They become vulnerable to the allure of power and power is grounded in money.  As a conservative it pains me no end to admit many candidates I supported failed to walk their talk.  We need term limits so badly.  Career politicians do us no good.  I must say I don't think they way the question was posed matters.  One can ask the question any number of ways and the answer doesn't change: gov't doesn't serve the majority of its citizens,  In fact it often serves "non-citizens" much better without any responsible consideration for the inevitable consequences.  The reason for this totally unethical behavior is the same which continues to drive the entitlement mentality down the tracks: votes and power.  It's pathetic.
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"It's easier to fool people, than it is to convince them they've been fooled."   Mark Twain
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:55 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



Badgers919 wrote: Your foreign policy pursuits would increase the debt 50% if it wouldn't double it. True story.  Find a real small government conservative and tell them what you've told us.  See how it goes.  You're a neocon on steroids, and if you've paid any attention the last 5 years, zat colour iz very 'out' zis season.
I didn't say small Army, I said small Government.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:57 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


Size and scope of global military expenditures and entanglements do not fall under your umbrella of 'government'??
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:01 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


The conservative movement has passed you by and you dont even know it. Your delusions would be non-starters with current leadership.

It's true. If you don't believe me.. ask them...

I'm all for a strong military and certain foreign wars and objectives, but you are way, way, way off the deep end from what you've said on here, and there are few people who would take you seriously because of it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:46 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


So, no more military and economic aid for Israel, right?


---------------------------------------------
--- ajmadison wrote:


Badgers919 wrote: Your foreign policy pursuits would increase the debt 50% if it wouldn't double it. True story.  Find a real small government conservative and tell them what you've told us.  See how it goes.  You're a neocon on steroids, and if you've paid any attention the last 5 years, zat colour iz very 'out' zis season.
I didn't say small Army, I said small Government.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:07 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



SkannerDan wrote: So, no more military and economic aid for Israel, right?


---------------------------------------------
--- ajmadison wrote:


Badgers919 wrote: Your foreign policy pursuits would increase the debt 50% if it wouldn't double it. True story.  Find a real small government conservative and tell them what you've told us.  See how it goes.  You're a neocon on steroids, and if you've paid any attention the last 5 years, zat colour iz very 'out' zis season.
I didn't say small Army, I said small Government.

---------------------------------------------
They don't need it, just don't give it to their enemies and everything will be fine.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:21 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


And you are going to prevent Russia, China, France, etc. from giving aid to the Arabs how?


---------------------------------------------
--- ajmadison wrote:


SkannerDan wrote: So, no more military and economic aid for Israel, right?


---------------------------------------------
--- ajmadison wrote:


Badgers919 wrote: Your foreign policy pursuits would increase the debt 50% if it wouldn't double it. True story.  Find a real small government conservative and tell them what you've told us.  See how it goes.  You're a neocon on steroids, and if you've paid any attention the last 5 years, zat colour iz very 'out' zis season.
I didn't say small Army, I said small Government.

---------------------------------------------
They don't need it, just don't give it to their enemies and everything will be fine.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:32 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


I don't think Israel is too worried about that.

They've used our platforms to enhance most of the weapons systems we gave them and our weapons have proven over and over to be light years better than anything anybody else has ever given the Arabs.
Israel is a little JAPan now, their technology is second to none, all the top chip makers and computer software companies are there, quietly and making money and are enhancing ISrael's capabilites.

Israel well knows that eventually the Arabs in collaboration with Jewish "J' street Liberals will cause America to be an unreliable ally and are working hard to get free of dependence on anything American or European.

They know thelEFT will drive a wedge between them and AMerica eventually, afterall the left hates religion (except Islam), it's just one more thing between them and world domination and Israel after all is a religious STAte, a Jewsih STate that the left needs to dismantle.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:46 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



Badgers919 wrote: Size and scope of global military expenditures and entanglements do not fall under your umbrella of 'government'??
To me big Gov means big regulations, big welfare and big entitlements.

Hell, a flat tax can get rid of 150,000 GOV Jobs by itself.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:46 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 


To most it means big spending, period.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:58 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



ajmadison wrote:  afterall the left hates religion (except Islam), it's just one more thing between them and world domination and Israel after all is a religious STAte, a Jewsih STate that the left needs to dismantle.
I could care less about religion and i dont consider it a virtue to be aligned with religious people in any way. 

But here are 3 irrefutable facts that make that simple minded generalization seem silly. 

1. Blacks are one of the most fervent Christian believers, and vote overwhelmingly Democatic
2. Catholics have recently been trending Democratic over Republican.  Slightly, but still
3. I'm not a big organized religion fan, and Islam is far and away my least favorite religion

Last edited 7/21/2014 11:59 PM by Badgers919

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 11:59 PM

Re: Do you believe government... 



Badgers919 wrote: To most it means big spending, period.
Well, let's get rid of obamacare, welfare, food stamps, foreign aid, regulatory bodies that do little good and we're off to a good start.
FLat tax, close down IRS, save 150,000 jobs.

DO you realize the IRS was started during the Civil war and a tax of 3% was levied to fight the war?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:02 AM

Re: Do you believe government... 


They say all those things, and in the of Ron/Rand Paul and conservative libertarians, usually a very non-intervenionist foreign policy that would make you cringe.

Likewise, your overseas pursuits would make a lot of them cringe. Just saying, you're far from the best example of the current conservative pulse.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:06 AM

Re: Do you believe government... 


I'm enjoying watching you not answer.

Twenty years from now, tell us about military superiority without military aid.


The rest of your post is just foolishness.

---------------------------------------------
--- ajmadison wrote:

I don't think Israel is too worried about that.

They've used our platforms to enhance most of the weapons systems we gave them and our weapons have proven over and over to be light years better than anything anybody else has ever given the Arabs.
Israel is a little JAPan now, their technology is second to none, all the top chip makers and computer software companies are there, quietly and making money and are enhancing ISrael's capabilites.

Israel well knows that eventually the Arabs in collaboration with Jewish "J' street Liberals will cause America to be an unreliable ally and are working hard to get free of dependence on anything American or European.

They know thelEFT will drive a wedge between them and AMerica eventually, afterall the left hates religion (except Islam), it's just one more thing between them and world domination and Israel after all is a religious STAte, a Jewsih STate that the left needs to dismantle.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:13 AM

Re: Do you believe government... 



Badgers919 wrote: They say all those things, and in the of Ron/Rand Paul and conservative libertarians, usually a very non-intervenionist foreign policy that would make you cringe.

Likewise, your overseas pursuits would make a lot of them cringe. Just saying, you're far from the best example of the current conservative pulse.
I don't agree.

Most Conservatives I know would rather fight Boku HArem's rather than let 200 young grils be taken into sexual slavery.

The left is so insincere as to the battles they are willing to  fight.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:24 AM

Re: Do you believe government... 


Say what you will about the Hollywood left, but many have done a lot for African issues awareness and Sudan atrocities. They're not always right but they've tried to bring awareness to places no politician would touch.

Boko Haram is not that simple.  Sure if you are able to rescue kidnapped, by all means, but more likely you end up with your country entangled in an Nigerian civil war.

Last edited 7/22/2014 12:26 AM by Badgers919

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:30 AM

Re: Do you believe government... 



Of course they want to fight. They just don't want to pay for it. That is the conservative way.

---------------------------------------------
--- ajmadison wrote:


Badgers919 wrote: They say all those things, and in the of Ron/Rand Paul and conservative libertarians, usually a very non-intervenionist foreign policy that would make you cringe.

Likewise, your overseas pursuits would make a lot of them cringe. Just saying, you're far from the best example of the current conservative pulse.
I don't agree.

Most Conservatives I know would rather fight Boku HArem's rather than let 200 young grils be taken into sexual slavery.

The left is so insincere as to the battles they are willing to  fight.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:32 AM

Re: Do you believe government... 


They're phonies, 90% of them and few donate their own money, best case they raise others money.

I need idiots like Sean Penn with a HS equivalency diploma, chain smoking 2-3 packs a day, in and out of Rehab and making smart decisions like marrying Madonna running around the world representing the u>S. LMFAO.

90% of Democrat Holywood activists have been in and out of rehab, married 3-4-5 times and are total morons.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >