Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >

Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year.

Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 11:16 AM

Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 11:28 AM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


That's two years of a college training program for you.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 11:40 AM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Well that's not the same tall, gangly kid I knew in high school.

I'm excited to see what this season brings.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 12:04 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



FrontRowJBo wrote:
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 12:08 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Must be a lot more sunshine in Madison than Sheboygan too.

I find these threads to be more than a little bit creepy.noidea
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 12:19 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Regarding Dekker, I sometimes wonder if he may have been pressing too hard last year because of he was supposed to be the star.  Everyone was expecting an all-American type year from him.  This year, most of that attention is on Kaminsky, and so maybe a bigger stronger Dekker can finally be the Dekker we have been expecting for two years.

Imagine what Hayes will look like after four years of working out under the guidance of an NBA strength coach.  Julius Peppers?  I remember sitting behind the bench one year when J.J. Weber was on the team.  Up close his arms were like tree trunks.
_____________________________________________

In trying to look up Weber's stats, I learned something from the Badger record book.  While Tucker may be our all-time leader in points, these are our all-time leaders in points per game:

Sherrod    19.6    (Played as a sophomore junior and senior)
Finley       18.7    (Played as a freshman, sophomore, junior and senior)
Matthews  18.1    (Played as a freshman, sophomore, and junior)
Blackwell  16.9    (Played as a freshman, sophomore, and junior)
Franklin    16.9    (Played as a sophomore, junior, and senior)

If Sherrod had played as a freshman, and if Matthews had played as a senior, their averages might have been about the same as Finley's over all four years, so those are our top three scorers all-time.  I often wonder why Sherrod (our all-time ppg leading scorer) and Matthews (the only first team high school all-American we ever recruited) are frequently left off fan lists of the top ten Badgers all-time.  They are on my top-ten list.  Harris is a third guard.  If I had to pick an all-time core eight, my three guards would be Sherrod, Matthews, and Harris (not necessarily in that order).  Not sure about the fourth guard.  Hopefully Koenig improves enough to earn that spot over Olson, Jackson, and Taylor.

Best individual seasons:

Sherrod    23.8 ppg
Franklin    22.7 ppg  (and 14.6 rebounds)
Sherrod    22.4 ppg

Last edited 8/7/2014 1:42 PM by dcamp

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 1:18 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



FireMarshalBill wrote: Must be a lot more sunshine in Madison than Sheboygan too.

I find these threads to be more than a little bit creepy.noidea
I'm not the one commenting on his tan.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 1:21 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


I expect sam to dominate the post with his more muscular build and taller height. It also helps that he will probably have SF guarding him instead of PF.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 1:42 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



FireMarshalBill wrote: Must be a lot more sunshine in Madison than Sheboygan too.

I find these threads to be more than a little bit creepy.noidea
Weird, if it's making you think impure thoughts... just go ahead and come out!tongue
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 2:13 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



Tupacinbadger wrote: I expect sam to dominate the post with his more muscular build and taller height. It also helps that he will probably have SF guarding him instead of PF.
Bam.  I really hope he's working hard on post maneuvers this summer.  He'll likely have a mismatch there that can be exploited, and if the defense brings help the other four guys on the floor are good shooters.  Lots of open looks to be had.

edit - Also, I think Lamar wins the best post of the day award for that extra pic.

Last edited 8/7/2014 2:14 PM by komacki

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 2:31 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



dcamp wrote:
I often wonder why Sherrod (our all-time ppg leading scorer) and Matthews (the only first team high school all-American we ever recruited) are frequently left off fan lists of the top ten Badgers all-time.  They are on my top-ten list. 
Wonder no longer.  Think of the age of the posters on this site.  Now think of how old they were when those players were at UW.  The great mystery is solved.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 2:59 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Ave Points per game or career points scored are both very blunt tools for assessing how good a player was. They don't take into account:

1. efficiency - how many missed shots and turnovers came along for the ride?
2. how good was the team? The best player on a crappy team will often outscore the top players on a very good team.
3. What was tempo of the teams on which they played?
4. Did the rules of the era favor the offense or the defense? (Take a look at archived games from the 80s and note how quickly the defense gets called for fouls that would never be called now, even last year.)
5. Were the majority of the conference's teams oriented more towards offense/high tempo (such as the ACC in the recent past) or towards defense/low tempo (such as the B1G in the recent past)?
6. How good was the player at other things besides scoring? (Defense tends to get short shrift in most analyses).
7. Did the team rely heavily on one or two big scorers, or did they have very balanced offense from 4-6 players?

All of these things make it difficult to compare career scoring for Badgers from different eras. Personally, I put a lot of value on players who played on good teams, and for my mount rushmore  I would be reluctant to take high scoring Badgers who played on mediocre teams with high tempo, in an era in which scoring in general was very high.

Last edited 8/7/2014 3:01 PM by RichInBunlyGoodness

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 5:26 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



FrontRowJBo wrote:
so....first man off the bus!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 8:54 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


He's made some gains in the weight room and with his hair game. Both were needed.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2014 9:48 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



dcamp wrote:
Best individual seasons:

Sherrod    23.8 ppg
Franklin    22.7 ppg  (and 14.6 rebounds)
Sherrod    22.4 ppg
Ron Jackson, 1961-1962: 23.3 ppg

Last edited 8/8/2014 6:46 AM by Badger1964

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2014 10:34 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


It's pretty obvious he's putting in the work on and off the court.  I said in earlier threads that you don't do what he did at those Durant and James tournaments on luck.  I expect him to be pretty dominant this year.  I think getting the new S&C guy may be the most underrated rated things that's happened to the basketball program.  I think between Bo's fundamentals and the Helland training program we have the perfect storm.

Last edited 8/7/2014 10:35 PM by combatsports4life

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 12:30 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Very impressive! Getting Helland as our S&C coach was a huge Coup! Sammy's gonna be able to do so much more on the court with that "leap".
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 1:10 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


I've been waiting for Dekker to live up to the hype. This season is as good as any for it to happen. I'll believe it when I see it happening on the floor, against a team with a strong front court, under the basket, and no disappearing act.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 3:37 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


I'm with you on this. Lebron's camp had more high school players than college players and Sam was probably among the biggest players their. My head is not in the clouds like some people's are here. The best thing i heard about Sam this offseason was that he was bangin down low with Nigel Hayes everyday. If he learns how to become a better post player, and it doesn't happen simply by getting stronger, he can be everything we want him to be.

TheNewRed wrote: I've been waiting for Dekker to live up to the hype. This season is as good as any for it to happen. I'll believe it when I see it happening on the floor, against a team with a strong front court, under the basket, and no disappearing act.

Last edited 8/8/2014 3:40 PM by betrage

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 7:10 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Nothing in his hype suggested under the basket. Instead of recognizing the work he put in as an undersized 4, you choose to use this as a way of discrediting his game.




---------------------------------------------
--- TheNewRed wrote:

I've been waiting for Dekker to live up to the hype. This season is as good as any for it to happen. I'll believe it when I see it happening on the floor, against a team with a strong front court, under the basket, and no disappearing act.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 7:22 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



SkannerDan wrote: Nothing in his hype suggested under the basket. Instead of recognizing the work he put in as an undersized 4, you choose to use this as a way of discrediting his game.




---------------------------------------------
--- TheNewRed wrote:

I've been waiting for Dekker to live up to the hype. This season is as good as any for it to happen. I'll believe it when I see it happening on the floor, against a team with a strong front court, under the basket, and no disappearing act.

---------------------------------------------
Well has he lived up to it? That's no knock on Dekker, but is to those that heaped it on him.

Last edited 8/8/2014 7:28 PM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 7:37 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


He played practically none of his minutes at his best position last year. That's important to remember when comparing him to expectations that surely assumed he'd be playing the 3.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 7:53 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



panama74 wrote: He played practically none of his minutes at his best position last year. That's important to remember when comparing him to expectations that surely assumed he'd be playing the 3.
Even he admitted he went missing at times. That has nothing to do with the position he played. Regardless, Where he played had more to do with his performance on the defensive end of the floor than the offensive.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 8:15 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



How can you compare the hype for him as a SF when he has had to play out of position?

Live up to hype: it is a false construct. Just about every player fails to live up to hype. Btw, each person has their own idea of hype. Can you give me the approximation of the hype and what hypesters were saying about him and what he would do at UW as an undergrad? And, if possible where this consensus of hype was derived?

I'm not pinning the hype on you, just interested in what you think the hype was.

I don't know anything about hype, but for me, the part of his game that I thought would be better was his shooting from three.
---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


SkannerDan wrote: Nothing in his hype suggested under the basket. Instead of recognizing the work he put in as an undersized 4, you choose to use this as a way of discrediting his game.




---------------------------------------------
--- TheNewRed wrote:

I've been waiting for Dekker to live up to the hype. This season is as good as any for it to happen. I'll believe it when I see it happening on the floor, against a team with a strong front court, under the basket, and no disappearing act.

---------------------------------------------
Well has he lived up to it? That's no knock on Dekker, but is to those that heaped it on him.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 8:16 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



I would disagree that position has no bearing on being missing.

---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


panama74 wrote: He played practically none of his minutes at his best position last year. That's important to remember when comparing him to expectations that surely assumed he'd be playing the 3.
Even he admitted he went missing at times. That has nothing to do with the position he played. Regardless, Where he played had more to do with his performance on the defensive end of the floor than the offensive.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2014 11:34 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



SkannerDan wrote:
I would disagree that position has no bearing on being missing.

---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


panama74 wrote: He played practically none of his minutes at his best position last year. That's important to remember when comparing him to expectations that surely assumed he'd be playing the 3.
Even he admitted he went missing at times. That has nothing to do with the position he played. Regardless, Where he played had more to do with his performance on the defensive end of the floor than the offensive.

---------------------------------------------
Have you paid attention to Wisconsin's O over the years and the opponent's D. If anything Dekker should be quicker than any 4 guarding him. On O he certainly wasn't playing like a 4 just as Kaminsky wasn't playing like a the normal 5.

Dekker isn't making excuses. He came right out and said he has a tendency to disappear and that he needed to keep himself involved in the O. I'm not sure why you would for him.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2014 11:54 PM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


tmoney's boy has really matured. remeber the first time tmoney saw him play in high school as a junior. quite a bit of difference over the last few years.

he is going to dominate!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/9/2014 2:27 AM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 


Regardless of position, Sam needs to learn how to score inside consistently. He needs to do more with less dribbles. He excels in the open court but the minute you lean on him he shys away. He did show signs of improvement and i liked the way he attacked the rim during the first half of the Kentucky game. It puts pressure on opponents and often times leads to free throws. He just hasn't been that comfortable down on the low block.


UnknownBadger wrote:
SkannerDan wrote:
I would disagree that position has no bearing on being missing.

---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


panama74 wrote: He played practically none of his minutes at his best position last year. That's important to remember when comparing him to expectations that surely assumed he'd be playing the 3.
Even he admitted he went missing at times. That has nothing to do with the position he played. Regardless, Where he played had more to do with his performance on the defensive end of the floor than the offensive.

---------------------------------------------
Have you paid attention to Wisconsin's O over the years and the opponent's D. If anything Dekker should be quicker than any 4 guarding him. On O he certainly wasn't playing like a 4 just as Kaminsky wasn't playing like a the normal 5.

Dekker isn't making excuses. He came right out and said he has a tendency to disappear and that he needed to keep himself involved in the O. I'm not sure why you would for him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/9/2014 5:40 AM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



I've paid attention. I guess in your world the energy expended on defense doesn't factor in offensive production. Cool. In your world working offensively against bigger and stronger isn't a factor. Cool. I guess we disagree. No biggie.

You are now switching your argument. You said where he played had no bearing on his disappearing. I said it did. Your statement from dekker doesn't change why (nor is your interpretation the only one). You are making assumptions about the reason/excuse and determining only one reason. I've not made this an all or nothing situation. You have. Without any basis.



---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


SkannerDan wrote:
I would disagree that position has no bearing on being missing.

---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


panama74 wrote: He played practically none of his minutes at his best position last year. That's important to remember when comparing him to expectations that surely assumed he'd be playing the 3.
Even he admitted he went missing at times. That has nothing to do with the position he played. Regardless, Where he played had more to do with his performance on the defensive end of the floor than the offensive.

---------------------------------------------
Have you paid attention to Wisconsin's O over the years and the opponent's D. If anything Dekker should be quicker than any 4 guarding him. On O he certainly wasn't playing like a 4 just as Kaminsky wasn't playing like a the normal 5.

Dekker isn't making excuses. He came right out and said he has a tendency to disappear and that he needed to keep himself involved in the O. I'm not sure why you would for him.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/9/2014 7:51 AM

Re: Um, yeah. I think he's ready for a monster year. 



SkannerDan wrote:
I've paid attention. I guess in your world the energy expended on defense doesn't factor in offensive production. Cool. In your world working offensively against bigger and stronger isn't a factor. Cool. I guess we disagree. No biggie.

You are now switching your argument. You said where he played had no bearing on his disappearing. I said it did. Your statement from dekker doesn't change why (nor is your interpretation the only one). You are making assumptions about the reason/excuse and determining only one reason. I've not made this an all or nothing situation. You have. Without any basis.



---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


SkannerDan wrote:
I would disagree that position has no bearing on being missing.

---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


panama74 wrote: He played practically none of his minutes at his best position last year. That's important to remember when comparing him to expectations that surely assumed he'd be playing the 3.
Even he admitted he went missing at times. That has nothing to do with the position he played. Regardless, Where he played had more to do with his performance on the defensive end of the floor than the offensive.

---------------------------------------------
Have you paid attention to Wisconsin's O over the years and the opponent's D. If anything Dekker should be quicker than any 4 guarding him. On O he certainly wasn't playing like a 4 just as Kaminsky wasn't playing like a the normal 5.

Dekker isn't making excuses. He came right out and said he has a tendency to disappear and that he needed to keep himself involved in the O. I'm not sure why you would for him.

---------------------------------------------
Oh, so it's a conditioning issue. Thank heavens he wasn't chasing around a 3.

Last edited 8/9/2014 7:53 AM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >