Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Which game is better?

Posted: 7/25/2014 11:55 AM

Which game is better? 


Bilas seems to think it's the Pro game. I'm not sure exactly why but he wants to speed the game up (24 sec clock). Do you suppose it's because Duke has trouble beating good defensive teams who look for good shots?

IMO, I love the fundamentally sound teams that play team basketball on both sides of the court.

Last edited 7/25/2014 11:56 AM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 11:59 AM

Re: Which game is better? 



UnknownBadger wrote: Bilas seems to think it's the Pro game. I'm not sure exactly why but he wants to speed the game up (24 sec clock). Do you suppose it's because Duke has trouble beating good defensive teams who look for good shots?

IMO, I love the fundamentally sound teams that play team basketball on both sides of the court.
There is no doubt that the level of play in the NBA is light years better than that in the college game. The college game is wonderful, however, for its idiosyncracies and its lack of perfection.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 12:26 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


Certainly not a new subject on this board and to each his own, but I find the NBA game rather boring. I watched parts of maybe 10 pro games this past year.  It's just too easy for them. The court needs to be enlarged, 3 point line pushed back and possibly consdier raising the basket. Until they make those changes I will stick to watching college ball. 

I love the "imperfections" of the college game. I attend most Badger home games, watch all the rest on TV - plus all or parts of 20-30 other college games per year. I just wish people who don't appreciate the college game like Bilas would stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. If he likes the pro game he should just stick to watching that and stop trying to screw up the college game.

Last edited 7/25/2014 12:28 PM by Madtowntom

Reply | Quote
  • pkshanov
  • Freshman
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 7/25/2014 12:27 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


Both have their pros and cons. There is no argument about the level of player/athlete, but the style and game-play can be argued either way. To each his own.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 12:43 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



Madtowntom wrote: Certainly not a new subject on this board and to each his own, but I find the NBA game rather boring. I watched parts of maybe 10 pro games this past year.  It's just too easy for them. The court needs to be enlarged, 3 point line pushed back and possibly consdier raising the basket. Until they make those changes I will stick to watching college ball. 
 
I love the "imperfections" of the college game. I attend most Badger home games, watch all the rest on TV - plus all or parts of 20-30 other college games per year. I just wish people who don't appreciate the college game like Bilas would stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. If he likes the pro game he should just stick to watching that and stop trying to screw up the college game.
I'm with you, Tom. The variety of styles from one game to the next is far more enjoyable to me besides seeing who can beat the other 1 on 1 100 times per team a game.

Last edited 7/25/2014 8:12 PM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 1:29 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



Madtowntom wrote:  It's just too easy for them. 
Don't watch many Bucks games, do you? tongue

That said, raising the hoop and stretching the 3 point line are not good ideas.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 1:51 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



Badgers919 wrote:
Madtowntom wrote:  It's just too easy for them. 
Don't watch many Bucks games, do you? tongue

That said, raising the hoop and stretching the 3 point line are not good ideas.
I think they are much more likely to improve the boring NBA game than the 24 second clock would for college balltonguewink
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 2:18 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


Biggest problems I have with the pro game are the stale stadium atmosphere and lack of flow during games. Too many fouls, too many timeouts, too much artificial stadium noise.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 2:46 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


College and it more due to Parity than anything else, due to March Madness and one and done games, compared to the NBA which has a best out of 4 it just doesn't make anything exciting for me.

 

 

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 3:22 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


I think they are different sports.  The NBA is athletic theater.  College BB seems to have more strategy and passion
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 3:55 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



RacineRed wrote: I think they are different sports.  The NBA is athletic theater.  College BB seems to have more strategy and passion
I really like that description!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 4:02 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



needalife457 wrote: compared to the NBA which has a best out of 4 it just doesn't make anything exciting for me.
On the same note, the regular season is way too long, but it's obvious why they wouldn't want to reduce either.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 4:52 PM

Re: Which game is better? 





---------------------------------------------
--- Madtowntom wrote:


RacineRed wrote: I think they are different sports.  The NBA is athletic theater.  College BB seems to have more strategy and passion
I really like that description!

---------------------------------------------

The words are very poetic, but the NBA game is not lacking in strategy. I wholeheartedly disagree on that point.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 5:08 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



RacineRed wrote: I think they are different sports.  The NBA is athletic theater.  College BB seems to have more strategy and passion
I think the NBA has more strategy.  Their offensive sets and positioning are extremely advanced and their defensive rotations are outstanding for the most part.

What college has is diversity since zone defense is far more prevalent (for several reasons) you end up with lots of different styles of play offensively and defensively.

I like the 35 second shot clock in college.  I have no desire to see teams forced into shooting quicker shots than they already do.  Plenty of teams struggle to get a good shot in 35 seconds, in 24 seconds they'd just be chucking bricks.  24 second clock works so well in the NBA because their pick and roll offenses are so well structured and the players so highly talented that they can get a decent shot in the last 5 seconds of any possession.  College kids can't do that.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 9:25 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



Buckysdorsalstripe wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: Bilas seems to think it's the Pro game. I'm not sure exactly why but he wants to speed the game up (24 sec clock). Do you suppose it's because Duke has trouble beating good defensive teams who look for good shots?

IMO, I love the fundamentally sound teams that play team basketball on both sides of the court.
There is no doubt that the level of play in the NBA is light years better than that in the college game. The college game is wonderful, however, for its idiosyncracies and its lack of perfection.
This is pretty much a perfect answer.  The level of basketball played in the NBA is so much better it doesn't even merit discussion.  But the pageantry and atmosphere involved with the college game is fantastic.

I got the shotgun....you got the briefcase......all in the game though


 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/26/2014 1:27 AM

Re: Which game is better? 



Madtowntom wrote: Certainly not a new subject on this board and to each his own, but I find the NBA game rather boring. I watched parts of maybe 10 pro games this past year.  It's just too easy for them. The court needs to be enlarged, 3 point line pushed back and possibly consdier raising the basket. Until they make those changes I will stick to watching college ball. 

I love the "imperfections" of the college game. I attend most Badger home games, watch all the rest on TV - plus all or parts of 20-30 other college games per year. I just wish people who don't appreciate the college game like Bilas would stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. If he likes the pro game he should just stick to watching that and stop trying to screw up the college game.
Wow this is maybe the most ignorant post regarding basketball I have seen in awhile. You watched parts of maybe 10 games huh? And from this lets say 300 or so minutes of game action presumably regular season action you deduced that the game is just too easy huh. The rules of the past 40-90 years need to be changed. Yes let us raise the goals to 11 or 12 feet as the game is far to easy lol. Yea you really have a firm grip on the game of basketball. 

Great that you attend the occassional Badger game but that does not however make you an expert at basketball. It really doesn't even make you an expert at Wisconsin basketball.  The fact that you would call out Bilas as someone who doesn't appreciate the college game continues to show how ill informed you are. Bilas is an NCAA analyst and strictly calls the college game infact the only time he is involved with the NBA is during the draft where he once again analyzes college prospects.

Maybe you should take your own advice and not try to fix something that isn't broken and stick to watching. Especially if you have no idea what you are talking about.  Meanwhile you are calling for Bilas an ex player with over 20 years in the business who is pretty much universally respected at his craft to stop giving his opinion. Yea makes perfect sense. Wow and nobody on this forum called you out for this utter nonsense. The new Badger fan thinks they are a Duke fan or something.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 9:24 AM

Re: Which game is better? 


I think the excitement that surrounds college basketball drives me to watch it closely, but I also love the NBA. Those guys are incredible players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 9:53 AM

Re: Which game is better? 



DWILL05 wrote:
Madtowntom wrote: Certainly not a new subject on this board and to each his own, but I find the NBA game rather boring. I watched parts of maybe 10 pro games this past year.  It's just too easy for them. The court needs to be enlarged, 3 point line pushed back and possibly consdier raising the basket. Until they make those changes I will stick to watching college ball. 

I love the "imperfections" of the college game. I attend most Badger home games, watch all the rest on TV - plus all or parts of 20-30 other college games per year. I just wish people who don't appreciate the college game like Bilas would stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. If he likes the pro game he should just stick to watching that and stop trying to screw up the college game.
Wow this is maybe the most ignorant post regarding basketball I have seen in awhile. You watched parts of maybe 10 games huh? And from this lets say 300 or so minutes of game action presumably regular season action you deduced that the game is just too easy huh. The rules of the past 40-90 years need to be changed. Yes let us raise the goals to 11 or 12 feet as the game is far to easy lol. Yea you really have a firm grip on the game of basketball. 

Great that you attend the occassional Badger game but that does not however make you an expert at basketball. It really doesn't even make you an expert at Wisconsin basketball.  The fact that you would call out Bilas as someone who doesn't appreciate the college game continues to show how ill informed you are. Bilas is an NCAA analyst and strictly calls the college game infact the only time he is involved with the NBA is during the draft where he once again analyzes college prospects.

Maybe you should take your own advice and not try to fix something that isn't broken and stick to watching. Especially if you have no idea what you are talking about.  Meanwhile you are calling for Bilas an ex player with over 20 years in the business who is pretty much universally respected at his craft to stop giving his opinion. Yea makes perfect sense. Wow and nobody on this forum called you out for this utter nonsense. The new Badger fan thinks they are a Duke fan or something.
The fact that you took my post to be completely serious shows that you are still wet behind the ears. I will guarantee you that I have been playing and attending basketball games longer than you have been alive (or Bilas for that matter). Does that make me basketball expert - probably not, but it absolutely makes me an expert basketball fan which is exactly what I was expressing in my post about the NBA. BTW - If Bilas really thinks changing the college shot clock to 24 seconds would improve the game he is a babbling idiot

Aren't you the guy claiming that Happ is an undersized 4 and just like Uthoff in another thread - being called out by you is truly laughablecrazy

Last edited 7/26/2014 9:54 AM by Madtowntom

Reply | Quote
  • jakeec
  • Junior
  • 3377 posts this site

Posted: 7/26/2014 11:24 AM

Re: Which game is better? 


If I am watching the Spurs then I might say the NBA but if I am watching teams that rely a ton on one on one type basketball like the Knicks, and other it is college easy.  Each one has its issue - college can be sloppy and there is a lack of talent on certain teams - the nba can lack ball movement and become very predictable.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 11:41 AM

Re: Which game is better? 



jakeec wrote: If I am watching the Spurs then I might say the NBA but if I am watching teams that rely a ton on one on one type basketball like the Knicks, and other it is college easy.  Each one has its issue - college can be sloppy and there is a lack of talent on certain teams - the nba can lack ball movement and become very predictable.
No one would ever question that there is a huge overall talent gap but NBA games can be sloppy too and in many games you get the feeling that they just want to get the game over (even with the top teams).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 11:45 AM

Re: Which game is better? 


College; AND, NO 24 second shoot clock, please. The college game does NOT need, IMHO, to become the NBA.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/26/2014 11:54 AM

Re: Which game is better? 


I really can't stand watching the NBA.  It's just horrible.  College ball is much, much better.
Avatar
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 12:19 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


Serious question, when was the last time an all-Pro fouled out of a game? Has it ever happened?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 2:34 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



UnknownBadger wrote: Serious question, when was the last time an all-Pro fouled out of a game? Has it ever happened?
All-NBA?  Of course it has happened.  LeBron James fouled out in January against Brooklyn.  Dwight Howard fouled out in Game 1 of the playoffs against Portland.  I'm not too motivated to keep looking around, but you get the picture.  It's an obvious rarity for players like James and Durant, but it has happened.  It is not subjected to this era only, either.  Wilt Chamberlain, oddly enough, never fouled out once in his career.

Edit:  Wilt's remarkable number may have to do with his sheer size over everyone else.  Chances are he did not have to leave his feet to alter a shot.

Last edited 7/26/2014 2:36 PM by hoopsgalore

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 2:59 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



hoopsgalore wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: Serious question, when was the last time an all-Pro fouled out of a game? Has it ever happened?
All-NBA?  Of course it has happened.  LeBron James fouled out in January against Brooklyn.  Dwight Howard fouled out in Game 1 of the playoffs against Portland.  I'm not too motivated to keep looking around, but you get the picture.  It's an obvious rarity for players like James and Durant, but it has happened.  It is not subjected to this era only, either.  Wilt Chamberlain, oddly enough, never fouled out once in his career.

Edit:  Wilt's remarkable number may have to do with his sheer size over everyone else.  Chances are he did not have to leave his feet to alter a shot.
I believe my point has been made. How many times did Jordan foul out? Everyone knew he could bear hug his opponent and he wouldn't be called for a 5th or 6th foul.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 3:15 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


So the NBA is worse because the best players don't get disqualified enough? That's a little backwards.

Jordan fouled out 11 times in his career, about 1% of his games. Shouldn't it be expected that the greatest player of all time would be smart enough to avoid disqualifying himself from games? And even if you do believe in "star treatment", the NCAA refs are still soooo much worse overall.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 3:21 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



panama74 wrote: So the NBA is worse because the best players don't get disqualified enough? That's a little backwards.

Jordan fouled out 11 times in his career, about 1% of his games. Shouldn't it be expected that the greatest player of all time would be smart enough to avoid disqualifying himself from games? And even if you do believe in "star treatment", the NCAA refs are still soooo much worse overall.
You must not have watched many of his games.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/26/2014 4:49 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



UnknownBadger wrote:
panama74 wrote: So the NBA is worse because the best players don't get disqualified enough? That's a little backwards.

Jordan fouled out 11 times in his career, about 1% of his games. Shouldn't it be expected that the greatest player of all time would be smart enough to avoid disqualifying himself from games? And even if you do believe in "star treatment", the NCAA refs are still soooo much worse overall.
You must not have watched many of his games.
The rules on defense were much different back then, especially in regards to hand checks.  Everyone mugged everyone. 

In any case, the players in the NBA are obviously otherworldly-good.  But I enjoy watching the college game more.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 4:51 PM

Re: Which game is better? 



How many more games should he have founded out of? Can you compare it with non stars who start and their rate of fouling out?

It is you who obviously doesn't watch much NBA.

---------------------------------------------
--- UnknownBadger wrote:


panama74 wrote: So the NBA is worse because the best players don't get disqualified enough? That's a little backwards.

Jordan fouled out 11 times in his career, about 1% of his games. Shouldn't it be expected that the greatest player of all time would be smart enough to avoid disqualifying himself from games? And even if you do believe in "star treatment", the NCAA refs are still soooo much worse overall.
You must not have watched many of his games.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
  • dime
  • Walk-On
  • 952 posts this site

Posted: 7/26/2014 5:45 PM

Re: Which game is better? 


Bilas continues to slowly but surely expose himself as a complete shill and basketball dope.

Shortening the shot clock is not going to magically make college players acquire the offensive skills that are so clearly lacking at this level...you'll just have more of those hideous Big East chuckfests that they just changed the hand check rules to try and eliminate!
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >