Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Should Ethan Happ redshirt?

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:23 PM

Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


I don't really see how he sees the floor this year barring any unforeseen injury. He appears to be someone who will push for major playing time in his future but that won't happen until year 2, so why not redshirt?
Reply | Quote
  • panama74
  • Sophomore
  • 2971 posts this site

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:41 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


Because he could very well be one of our top 8 players. If he is, you gotta play him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:09 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


i agree with that, i guess i should've included more. What would you say if it became clear to him that Vitto was the 5th front court player?
panama74 wrote: Because he could very well be one of our top 8 players. If he is, you gotta play him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:10 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Reply | Quote
  • panama74
  • Sophomore
  • 2971 posts this site

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:41 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



betrage wrote: What would you say if it became clear to him that Vitto was the 5th front court player? 
If Vitto solidifies himself ahead of Happ before the first week of November, then redshirting seems like it'd be the right decision.  And from interviews, Happ sounds like he realizes that redshirting might end up being a good idea for him.  

Problem is, there's a good chance that neither guy will separate from the other that much before the first real games.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2014 12:01 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


The way he dominated in that overseas tournament it's hard to say if he should or not.  Physically he's developed big time.  I honestly think there is a good chance he could give some good minutes just based on his rebounding and defense.  Like others have said it really depends on Vitto.  If Vitto makes a jump then I'd say yes, take the redshirt.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 9:13 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


I believe that he will.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2014 9:14 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


Way too early to tell. There's no good way to answer that question before seeing him vs Brown in a few months. It might be a good idea, for them personally, for one of the two to redshirt. Would it be the best move for Wisconsin? That's a different argument altogether.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2014 9:15 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 10:28 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


I must have been napping.  What OST did Happ dominate? 

Good to hear regardless.  Always liked him and I'm sure I will even more once he's playing.
combatsports4life wrote: The way he dominated in that overseas tournament it's hard to say if he should or not.  Physically he's developed big time.  I honestly think there is a good chance he could give some good minutes just based on his rebounding and defense.  Like others have said it really depends on Vitto.  If Vitto makes a jump then I'd say yes, take the redshirt.

Go Badgers!  On Wisconsin!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 10:36 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



NCBadger wrote: I must have been napping.  What OST did Happ dominate? 

Good to hear regardless.  Always liked him and I'm sure I will even more once he's playing.
combatsports4life wrote: The way he dominated in that overseas tournament it's hard to say if he should or not.  Physically he's developed big time.  I honestly think there is a good chance he could give some good minutes just based on his rebounding and defense.  Like others have said it really depends on Vitto.  If Vitto makes a jump then I'd say yes, take the redshirt.
Link
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 10:47 AM

Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


Barring the unknown, not likely to be a lot of minutes at the 4 & 5 positions this season(14-15). Five returning players for two spots. Time will tell.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 10:56 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 11:17 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



UnknownBadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
My guess is that he does indeed leave the final decision up to the player; however, I'm sure he frames the potential scenarios in such a way as to make it much clearer to them what they should do
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2014 11:44 AM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



Madtowntom wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
My guess is that he does indeed leave the final decision up to the player; however, I'm sure he frames the potential scenarios in such a way as to make it much clearer to them what they should do
Let me leave a "decision up to you"....

Here are your choices for dinner....

1. You may have an apple (that is half eaten and picked out of the garbage)
2. Or you may have a T-Bone steak grilled by Bobby Flay

Your choice... pick whatever one you want. Either one is fine by me. Oh? You took the steak? Gee... what a great decision "you just made".
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 12:00 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



Madtowntom wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
My guess is that he does indeed leave the final decision up to the player; however, I'm sure he frames the potential scenarios in such a way as to make it much clearer to them what they should do
Certainly he's going to tell the kid his chances of seeing the PT. He probably gives them a pretty clear picture of where they are in development and what they can do to see playing time, whether a RS is a good idea. Any good administrator/manager is going to do that. Ryan says he leaves the decision up to the kid. I have no reason to distrust him. Evidently, ETR does.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 12:30 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


ETR seems like he was (and maybe still is) pretty close to the program.  The way ETR laid it out seems pretty realistic.  You want the player making a pretty informed decision.  Its up to the player to decide whether it's better for them to redshirt/develop or to put the redshirt in their back pocket and have it available in case they suffer an injury that would cause them to lose a full season (ala Gasser).  

Another reason not to redshirt is in case the player may be looking to transfer if PT doesn't develop.  Then they get to use the redshirt for the "year in waiting" as opposed to losing a year of eligibility like George Marshall did.


UnknownBadger wrote:
Madtowntom wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
My guess is that he does indeed leave the final decision up to the player; however, I'm sure he frames the potential scenarios in such a way as to make it much clearer to them what they should do
Certainly he's going to tell the kid his chances of seeing the PT. He probably gives them a pretty clear picture of where they are in development and what they can do to see playing time, whether a RS is a good idea. Any good administrator/manager is going to do that. Ryan says he leaves the decision up to the kid. I have no reason to distrust him. Evidently, ETR does.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 12:38 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



SaMOKEY wrote: ETR seems like he was (and maybe still is) pretty close to the program.  The way ETR laid it out seems pretty realistic.  You want the player making a pretty informed decision.  Its up to the player to decide whether it's better for them to redshirt/develop or to put the redshirt in their back pocket and have it available in case they suffer an injury that would cause them to lose a full season (ala Gasser).  

Another reason not to redshirt is in case the player may be looking to transfer if PT doesn't develop.  Then they get to use the redshirt for the "year in waiting" as opposed to losing a year of eligibility like George Marshall did.


UnknownBadger wrote:
Madtowntom wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
My guess is that he does indeed leave the final decision up to the player; however, I'm sure he frames the potential scenarios in such a way as to make it much clearer to them what they should do
Certainly he's going to tell the kid his chances of seeing the PT. He probably gives them a pretty clear picture of where they are in development and what they can do to see playing time, whether a RS is a good idea. Any good administrator/manager is going to do that. Ryan says he leaves the decision up to the kid. I have no reason to distrust him. Evidently, ETR does.
This was EricTheRude's response when I first mentioned that Ryan leaves it up to the kid.

"Yup... sure. ohlord"

Now, after I pointed out that Ryan publicly stated that he leaves the decision to red-shirt to the athlete,he's backsliding and saying exactly that.

Last edited 7/16/2014 12:46 PM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 2:42 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



EricTheeRed wrote:
Madtowntom wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
My guess is that he does indeed leave the final decision up to the player; however, I'm sure he frames the potential scenarios in such a way as to make it much clearer to them what they should do
Let me leave a "decision up to you"....

Here are your choices for dinner....

1. You may have an apple (that is half eaten and picked out of the garbage)
2. Or you may have a T-Bone steak grilled by Bobby Flay

Your choice... pick whatever one you want. Either one is fine by me. Oh? You took the steak? Gee... what a great decision "you just made".
ETR even pictures don't help unknown - ignore him.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2014 5:35 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



stlbadger wrote:
ETR even pictures don't help unknown - ignore him.
Do the players get the final say on if they redshirt?  Yes.
Does the staff paint a clear picture for them and control how much playing time they get?  Yes.

Those two statements are not mutually exclusive, but reasonable minds can differ on how much free choice there really is in the situation.  You're just an idiot with an Iowa complex.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2014 7:41 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



UnknownBadger wrote:
This was EricTheRude's response when I first mentioned that Ryan leaves it up to the kid.

"Yup... sure. ohlord"

Now, after I pointed out that Ryan publicly stated that he leaves the decision to red-shirt to the athlete,he's backsliding and saying exactly that.
If you call the scenario I laid out "making a decision"... then there's nothing else I can say.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 7:46 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
This was EricTheRude's response when I first mentioned that Ryan leaves it up to the kid.

"Yup... sure. ohlord"

Now, after I pointed out that Ryan publicly stated that he leaves the decision to red-shirt to the athlete,he's backsliding and saying exactly that.
If you call the scenario I laid out "making a decision"... then there's nothing else I can say.
It's a waste of time ETR - the man is beyond clueless.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 7:49 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


I believe it is not laid out as clearly as some think. Look how Uthoff waffled to the very end. Look how Jordan Hill made a pretty bad decision not to.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 8:29 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
This was EricTheRude's response when I first mentioned that Ryan leaves it up to the kid.

"Yup... sure. ohlord"

Now, after I pointed out that Ryan publicly stated that he leaves the decision to red-shirt to the athlete,he's backsliding and saying exactly that.
If you call the scenario I laid out "making a decision"... then there's nothing else I can say.
It is absolutely 100% a decision in every sense of the word...Bo Ryan doesn't definitively tell a player what he is going to do, thereby the player HAS to make a final decision...in other words ETR...you are WRONG!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 8:54 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 



jbooshey wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
This was EricTheRude's response when I first mentioned that Ryan leaves it up to the kid.

"Yup... sure. ohlord"

Now, after I pointed out that Ryan publicly stated that he leaves the decision to red-shirt to the athlete,he's backsliding and saying exactly that.
If you call the scenario I laid out "making a decision"... then there's nothing else I can say.
It is absolutely 100% a decision in every sense of the word...Bo Ryan doesn't definitively tell a player what he is going to do, thereby the player HAS to make a final decision...in other words ETR...you are WRONG!
Follow what he's saying - he's spot on, as usual - you're WRONG!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 8:59 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


Haha i love how ETR's butt boy stl valiantly defends the honor of his every statement. I can't wait for November!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 9:51 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


STL.....do 2 things for me please....put me on ignore and put UnknownBadger on ignore. You spend more time quibbling over his comments than you do actually commenting on topic. Once again you've completely sidetracked a topic. Does it matter to you that so many on this board are tired of reading the same childish remarks about Unknown every chance you get?

stlbadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
This was EricTheRude's response when I first mentioned that Ryan leaves it up to the kid.

"Yup... sure. ohlord"

Now, after I pointed out that Ryan publicly stated that he leaves the decision to red-shirt to the athlete,he's backsliding and saying exactly that.
If you call the scenario I laid out "making a decision"... then there's nothing else I can say.
It's a waste of time ETR - the man is beyond clueless.

Last edited 7/16/2014 10:03 PM by betrage

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 10:03 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


Eric, i think you are correct in that Bo probably makes it pretty clear of where a player fits in the rotation. I think it becomes pretty obvious when certain players are getting time with the starters in practice and others are not. Some players still choose not to redshirt, like Hill, when it seemed obvious he would not play much. Maybe he wants to be out of school in 4 years time. I'm pretty excited about Happ's future which is why i hope he redshirts. Hopefully Bo offers him a "half eaten apple" for dinner this year. His contributions would be minimal barring an injury.

EricTheeRed wrote:
Madtowntom wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
EricTheeRed wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote: This would be a good year for either Brown or Happ to red shirt. Don't forget, Ryan leaves the decision up to each player.
Yup... sure. ohlord

Anyway, I do not think Happ will redshirt. He's good enough to play some.
I guess you don't believe Ryan then. I suppose he could have been lying, but you wouldn't think he do it during a televised interview. ohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlordohlord
My guess is that he does indeed leave the final decision up to the player; however, I'm sure he frames the potential scenarios in such a way as to make it much clearer to them what they should do
Let me leave a "decision up to you"....

Here are your choices for dinner....

1. You may have an apple (that is half eaten and picked out of the garbage)
2. Or you may have a T-Bone steak grilled by Bobby Flay

Your choice... pick whatever one you want. Either one is fine by me. Oh? You took the steak? Gee... what a great decision "you just made".

Last edited 7/16/2014 10:03 PM by betrage

Reply | Quote
  • panama74
  • Sophomore
  • 2971 posts this site

Posted: 7/16/2014 10:14 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


Happ could very well be better as a freshman than Hayes was. Way too soon to be writing him off.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/16/2014 10:37 PM

Re: Should Ethan Happ redshirt? 


What is impressive about STL is that he must have been posting at the age of two years old. I know for a fact that this is true because he has been on this site since 2004, and he cannot possibly be older than 12 now.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >