Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Matt Heldt

Posted: 7/1/2014 6:43 PM

Matt Heldt 


His mom posted on Facebook that he committed to Marquette.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 7:06 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


He did early today.  

I don't know how UW fans should feel about this one.  1) Wisconsin/Bo never offered 2) I don't know if there are several other prospects we are on before Heldt even if you eliminate Stone, Ellenson or Sharma.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/1/2014 7:49 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


this cat reminds tmoney of the kid who was at arrowhead and went to colorado. Mills is this kids name if tmoney remembers correctly?

tmoney see's heldt as a mi major kind of ki and so it is fitting he is going to PUKEQUETTE. no loss for the badgers with this news. didn't think he was ever going to get an offer anyway.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 10:34 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


In the limited times I saw him, I really didn't think he'd be worth an offer unless it was just as a backup plan. But I'm the first to admit, I'd never put any money on my scouting abilities. I have a cousin who's an assistant coach for another FVA team - and also a very big Badger fan. He really wanted to see Bo offer & land Heldt. Certainly we need to wait & see who ultimately fills out the class, but I'm going to trust a guy who's seen him quite a bit & conclude that regardless, Heldt is probably going to be a pretty good college player.

Engage the good posters, ignore the bad, report as inappropriate the problems. Message board rules. Thanks.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 10:41 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


I think Heldt has intriguing potential.  He's fairly skilled with good size.  Not sure he will ever be a great athlete but skill can make up for a lot of that.  It's a good get for MU.  He's much more of a Mike Deane recruit than a Buzz recruit so I find it interesting that MU fans are so excited (lol).  Regardless, I think the Badger staff believes they have a pretty good shot at Sharma.  Sharma is on a different planet in terms of raw athleticism.  If they can develop his skill level, Sharma will be scary good.  All things considered, the Badger staff has a good track record of developing bigs so I have no problem with targeting Sharma ahead of Heldt.  Coach K would seem to agree and I suspect Wojo would as well if MU had any chance whatsoever with Sharma.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 5:22 AM

Re: Matt Heldt 


From Marquette: 

DoddsOnSports wrote: Heldt is an interesting prospect...a mobile post...4/5...who is getting bigger and stronger...he can complement Ellenson who is a big with SF skills...very unique...and of course...Stone would complement all 3...

Center: Stone
PF: Heldt
Swing F or stretch 4: Ellenson...

all 3 could play at once...and Stone might be a 2 and done player...

Ellenson reminds me of Dave Meyers who played at UCLA...a PF body but SF skills...

Fischer has stretch forward skills but is more of a shot blocker...and great passer....

Ellenson is a better ball handler...and would be an absolute bear to guard on a post up with Fischer up high passing down to Ellenson...Wojo can point to several Duke players who would fit the Ellenson/Fischer skill set...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 9:14 AM

Re: Matt Heldt 





---------------------------------------------
--- ThirstyDog wrote:

From Marquette: 

DoddsOnSports wrote: Heldt is an interesting prospect...a mobile post...4/5...who is getting bigger and stronger...he can complement Ellenson who is a big with SF skills...very unique...and of course...Stone would complement all 3...

Center: Stone
PF: Heldt
Swing F or stretch 4: Ellenson...

all 3 could play at once...and Stone might be a 2 and done player...

Ellenson reminds me of Dave Meyers who played at UCLA...a PF body but SF skills...

Fischer has stretch forward skills but is more of a shot blocker...and great passer....

Ellenson is a better ball handler...and would be an absolute bear to guard on a post up with Fischer up high passing down to Ellenson...Wojo can point to several Duke players who would fit the Ellenson/Fischer skill set...

---------------------------------------------

LOLZ as the kids say.

Is this Dodds guy delusional?


Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 10:39 AM

Re: Matt Heldt 


yes - confirmed...Marquette is getting more 'white dudes' now...Is Heldt more like Kaminsky or Evan Andersen?  probably not as good as Luke Fischer....

http://www.postcrescent.com/st...uette/11929933/
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/2/2014 11:02 AM

Re: Matt Heldt 





---------------------------------------------
--- Activebadger wrote:




---------------------------------------------
--- ThirstyDog wrote:

From Marquette: 

DoddsOnSports wrote: Heldt is an interesting prospect...a mobile post...4/5...who is getting bigger and stronger...he can complement Ellenson who is a big with SF skills...very unique...and of course...Stone would complement all 3...

Center: Stone
PF: Heldt
Swing F or stretch 4: Ellenson...

all 3 could play at once...and Stone might be a 2 and done player...

Ellenson reminds me of Dave Meyers who played at UCLA...a PF body but SF skills...

Fischer has stretch forward skills but is more of a shot blocker...and great passer....

Ellenson is a better ball handler...and would be an absolute bear to guard on a post up with Fischer up high passing down to Ellenson...Wojo can point to several Duke players who would fit the Ellenson/Fischer skill set...

---------------------------------------------

LOLZ as the kids say.

Is this Dodds guy delusional?

---------------------------------------------

Shaka to Marquette is a "done deal".

Dodds is a dope.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 12:26 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



tmoneylovesguns wrote: this cat reminds tmoney of the kid who was at arrowhead and went to colorado. Mills is this kids name if tmoney remembers correctly?

tmoney see's heldt as a mi major kind of ki and so it is fitting he is going to PUKEQUETTE. no loss for the badgers with this news. didn't think he was ever going to get an offer anyway.

Heldt is a very different player than Ben Mills.  Other than they are both tall, white kids from Wisconsin, there isn't much similar to their games.  Heldt is an inside/out player with range.  Mills was more of a post up center.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/2/2014 2:21 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



CloudsOfDust wrote:




Shaka to Marquette is a "done deal".

Dodds is a dope.
There are about 5-10 guys that completely suck on the sports forums that I visit, including other teams sites.   He is one of them.  Completely delusional about everything MU related.  Not just a homer, delusional.  I have never been given a warning, much less banned from any site.  Posted something about how I wasnt very impressed with Buzz running off Newbill and was banned.  Of course now everyone on the site is saying the exact same thing about the scumbag.  Typical dipshit response from him.
"This is like seeing the Caucasian Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals. "  North Carolina State poster after the Badgers beat them by 40.

Last edited 7/2/2014 2:22 PM by freddy4play

Reply | Quote
  • pkshanov
  • Freshman
  • 1739 posts this site

Posted: 7/2/2014 2:33 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


Marquette needs size, IIRC, and this will help them. It'll be interesting to see what kind of offense Wojo runs with the guys he has. It's one thing to run an open offense with Jabari Parker and essentially 5 guys that can create their own shots, it's another when less of your roster is as skilled (at least per recruiting services, although in fairness MU has had some good recruiting classes recently). Unlike most here, I actually hope they do well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 3:11 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



BigTenwatcher wrote: He did early today.  

I don't know how UW fans should feel about this one.  1) Wisconsin/Bo never offered 2) I don't know if there are several other prospects we are on before Heldt even if you eliminate Stone, Ellenson or Sharma.
Like you said, it is really to early to have any regrets over this verbal to MU.  It probably only depends on who we don't get that we are recruiting that determines if regrets are in order.  If we don't get any one of the three that you mention that there could be any regret IMO.

Last edited 7/2/2014 3:19 PM by BadRick

Reply | Quote
  • panama74
  • Sophomore
  • 2900 posts this site

Posted: 7/2/2014 3:21 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



BabcockHouse wrote: Is Heldt more like Kaminsky or Evan Andersen?  probably not as good as Luke Fischer....
Playing style is much more like Kaminsky.  Similar caliber recruit as well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 3:23 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



panama74 wrote:
BabcockHouse wrote: Is Heldt more like Kaminsky or Evan Andersen?  probably not as good as Luke Fischer....
Playing style is much more like Kaminsky.  Similar caliber recruit as well.

Well then we may be missing out on something good here? frown
Reply | Quote
  • panama74
  • Sophomore
  • 2900 posts this site

Posted: 7/2/2014 3:28 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


The odds that he ends up being as good as Kaminsky are slim, just like the odds of Kaminsky becoming as good as he is were slim.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 4:07 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



panama74 wrote:
BabcockHouse wrote: Is Heldt more like Kaminsky or Evan Andersen?  probably not as good as Luke Fischer....
Playing style is much more like Kaminsky.  Similar caliber recruit as well.
Not really. Kaminsky stepped in a played some pg at Benet Academy when Sobolusky was injured. Kaminsky played against better competition and was more skilled. 

I like Heldt because he is a hard worker and continues to improve. Don't see the comparison to Frank at all.
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote
  • panama74
  • Sophomore
  • 2900 posts this site

Posted: 7/2/2014 4:34 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


You're free to disagree, but those first two points don't really hold any weight. The FVA is better than the Catholic league that Benet plays in, and both played everyone in AAU. Neenah had a college pg of their own so playing Heldt there would be silly, though they did use him to break the press and bring the ball up at state multiple times.

He's not a Kaminsky clone, but there are a lot of similarities between the two at the same age. The question was whether he's more like Kaminsky or Anderson, and I think the answer is clear.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 4:53 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



panama74 wrote: You're free to disagree, but those first two points don't really hold any weight. The FVA is better than the Catholic league that Benet plays in, and both played everyone in AAU. Neenah had a college pg of their own so playing Heldt there would be silly, though they did use him to break the press and bring the ball up at state multiple times.

He's not a Kaminsky clone, but there are a lot of similarities between the two at the same age. The question was whether he's more like Kaminsky or Anderson, and I think the answer is clear.
Here is a link to Benet's schedule from last season. The FVA is not even close to the talent level of that schedule.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/benet-academy -redwings-(lisle,il)/basketball/schedule.htm

The point is that Frank at 6'10 was considered one of the best options on Benet's team with their pg out with a lengthy injury. Franks passing and ball handling skills were much more advanced than Heldt's at the same age.
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 7:30 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 



redforeman62 wrote:
panama74 wrote:
BabcockHouse wrote: Is Heldt more like Kaminsky or Evan Andersen?  probably not as good as Luke Fischer....
Playing style is much more like Kaminsky.  Similar caliber recruit as well.
Not really. Kaminsky stepped in a played some pg at Benet Academy when Sobolusky was injured. Kaminsky played against better competition and was more skilled. 

I like Heldt because he is a hard worker and continues to improve. Don't see the comparison to Frank at all.
Agree. I see Heldt as potentially an average, solid player. No regrets on recruiting him, but no really nice surprises on upside down the road either. Where Kaminsky showed hints of above average potential and has put in the effort to realize that potential. In other words no star or dominant potential. Frank has that.

Last edited 7/2/2014 7:31 PM by MacBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 4:30 PM

Re: Matt Heldt 


I liked Heldt at the State Tournament. He has skills. Could play here.
But in case we forgot, Bo is also staying up with Seth Dugan, a 6'11", 230 center in the state of Michigan. Bo knows how to find these guys, that is for sure. He must think Dugan is ahead of Heldt at this time.
Let us hope Shurma, Stone, and Ellenson make up their minds before we lose Dugan!! He is a NR player, but that will change.
Also, Ellenson fits Bo's offense and vice versa. I wish Ellenson would come here. But it is such a feeling to be recruited by all the best---some kids forget Wisconsin is a "best" too!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/5/2014 8:39 AM

Re: Matt Heldt 


For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Post-Crescent has an article about Brian Butch working with Matt Heldt this summer.

http://www.postcrescent.com/st...heldt/12235181/

“The thing about it is, as much tension as there is between Wisconsin and Marquette, we only play them once a year,” said the 29-year-old Butch, who has played professionally across the globe since graduating from UW.

“If he had gone to Michigan State or Michigan or Indiana; those guys we’re competing with for a Big Ten championship. As much as it means bragging rights in the state, in the end it’s about championships. So it doesn’t hurt nearly as bad with him going to Marquette.”

Heldt, a Neenah High School senior, committed to the Golden Eagles on Tuesday.

“I’m really happy for him and I think it will be a pretty good fit for him,” said Butch, a former McDonald’s all-American out of Appleton West. “And it’s something special to play in your home state.”

Reply | Quote