Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

NCAA revisiting UNC

Posted: 6/30/2014 3:53 PM

NCAA revisiting UNC 


UNC received verbal notice of inquiry from NCAA this afternoon.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 4:48 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



stateone wrote: UNC received verbal notice of inquiry from NCAA this afternoon.
I suppose the big question is what lower D1 School will go on probation for UNC?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 5:17 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 


Maybe this time don't send an investigator who is a UNC grad and former football player there.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 5:38 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 





---------------------------------------------
--- abbybadger wrote:


stateone wrote: UNC received verbal notice of inquiry from NCAA this afternoon.
I suppose the big question is what lower D1 School will go on probation for UNC?

-------------------------------------------

Wisconsin-Green Bay better look out.
Reply | Quote
  • Bmoken
  • Sophomore
  • 2415 posts this site

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:08 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



Maybe this time don't send an investigator who is a UNC grad and former football player there.
-----------------------

Did the NCAA really do that? I didn't know that. That's pathetic.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 9:17 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 





---------------------------------------------
--- Bmoken wrote:


Maybe this time don't send an investigator who is a UNC grad and former football player there.
-----------------------

Did the NCAA really do that? I didn't know that. That's pathetic.

---------------------------------------------

That would be yes. Marcus Wilson (former UNC football player) was one of the investigators in the first investigation.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 12:14 PM

NCAA revisiting UNC 


My guess is Cleveland State gets "it".
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 1:50 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



DeCock: UNC athletic, academic case not over yet, nor is it anywhere close

NCAA reopens investigation at UNC over academic misconduct
One week ago was the fourth anniversary of the NCAA's very first inquiry into the University of North Carolina. Four years. And it's not over yet. With the NCAA reopening its investigation yet again, it's nowhere close.

Four years. The NCAA investigation is almost old enough to enroll in kindergarten. Students have arrived on campus, matriculated and graduated since it began.

What began as a probe into impermissible benefits in the football program - Marvin Austin and Greg Little, please step forward - uncovered agents afoot and soon crossed over into academic misconduct, with detours covering a U-Haul truck filled with drugs, South Beach clubs and a tutor who handed out cash to players, wrote papers for them and worked as an in-home instructor for Butch Davis' son.

One tutor led to one plagiarized paper that led to one transcript that led to one department full of phony classes that led to one inadequate and very expensive report that led to one whistleblower that led to many, many protestations and recriminations from the second North Carolina administration to trumpet jargon-laden "reforms" instead of real action.

Butch Davis, Dick Baddour and Holden Thorp were all put out to pasture along the way, three of the most prominent names to be associated with this long drama in some fashion.

To name but a few of the others who have popped up along the way: Austin, Little, John Blake, Gary Wichard, Mel Kiper Jr., Cam Thomas, Kentwan Balmer, Drew Rosenhaus, Jennifer Wiley, Chris Hawkins, Howard Manning, Julius Peppers, Julius Nyang'oro, Deborah Crowder, Joe Cheshire, Tom "Triple Play" O'Brien, Michael McAdoo, Jim Martin, Matt Kupec, Tami Hansbrough, Jan Boxill, anonymous Pack Pride posters, Jay Smith, Mary Willingham, Rashad McCants, Roy Williams, Jim Woodall, Carol Folt, Bob Orr, Kenneth Wainstein and Bill Friday.

That list includes coaches, players, judges, politicians, academics, rivals, whistleblowers, lawyers, alumni and perhaps the most distinguished citizen ever associated with the university, the late Friday, whose legacy as a college-athletics reformer continues to be dishonored. He warned against exactly what has happened with the football scandal and the apparent widespread academic fraud in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies.

Needless to say, the scandal refuses to go away, no matter how many North Carolina administrators have wished it so. The threat of prosecution by Woodall, the Orange County district attorney, appears to have secured Nyang'oro's cooperation with Wainstein, the former Justice Department official hired to conduct yet another pricey probe.

The NCAA's announcement Monday that it will reopen its investigation into the AFAM department was no surprise after Nyang'oro started talking privately and McCants unburdened himself very publicly on ESPN.

The Martin Report's completely unsupported conclusion that "this was not an athletic scandal" appears less defensible by the day. The firewall North Carolina has so desperately built between athletics and academics with the explicit intention of keeping the NCAA from coming back onto campus has collapsed.

"The worry is that this could further raise NCAA issues and that is not the intention," Boxill, the chairman of the faculty council, wrote in an email urging a report be edited to remove a reference to the bogus AFAM classes possibly being used to keep athletes eligible.

That was July 2012. Two years later, that facade has fallen. North Carolina couldn't delay the inevitable.

Now emerged from a few years of its own turmoil, in part mitigated by an investigation into its enforcement department by the same Wainstein, the NCAA is coming back to Chapel Hill.

Four years gone, and we're nowhere close to the end. We're just getting started. Again
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 5:48 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 


Death penalty I would imagine.
TexasBadger wrote: My guess is Cleveland State gets "it".
Don't believe what you read on internet message boards - that's what started WWI.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 6:37 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 


I don't understand why this case is so hard to investigate?  It should be relatively easy to ascertain transcripts and determine the type of coursework that these athletes completed in this one particular class section shouldn't it?   Is it just McCants that has come forward or numerous athletes?  If it's more than one then it doesn't look good for Williams.  It already doesn't look good.

I think it would bode well for any recruits that we are going head-to-head with
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 9:08 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 


The aforementioned Mary Willingham today filed suit against UNC today. Things getting uglier in Chapel Hill.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 12:26 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 





---------------------------------------------
--- TexasBadger wrote:

My guess is Cleveland State gets "it".

---------------------------------------------

Over the past twenty years the NCAA has shown no reluctance to punish marquee programs for transgressions. The list includes USC, PSU, OSU, OU, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, Nebraska, FSU, Notre Dame, Oregon, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M and our very own UW. The old joke about Cleveland State is lame.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 2:19 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



madbadger wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- TexasBadger wrote:

My guess is Cleveland State gets "it".

---------------------------------------------

Over the past twenty years the NCAA has shown no reluctance to punish marquee programs for transgressions. The list includes USC, PSU, OSU, OU, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, Nebraska, FSU, Notre Dame, Oregon, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M and our very own UW. The old joke about Cleveland State is lame.
While I agree that the Cleveland St reference is silly I think your statement is equally silly - no reluctance - really?? Just what has the NCAA done in the last 10 years to deter cheating at marquee programs? Most of the sanctions by the NCAA have been just as "lame" as the Cleveland St reference
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 3:44 PM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



BigTenwatcher wrote: I don't understand why this case is so hard to investigate?  It should be relatively easy to ascertain transcripts and determine the type of coursework that these athletes completed in this one particular class section shouldn't it?   Is it just McCants that has come forward or numerous athletes?  If it's more than one then it doesn't look good for Williams.  It already doesn't look good.

I think it would bode well for any recruits that we are going head-to-head with
Come on, surely you realize that the pathway of investigation is not hard to determine.  It is the the foot-dragging, the put up roadblocks, the collusion of university officials, players, boosters, etc. to avoid truth and penalties that make it hard.  The NCAA itself is corrupted (as I have been posting for years) by politics and political correctness even though it is supposed to be the alert watchful agency of investigation of violation of the rules and determination that true student athletes be the one's playing intercollegiate sports.  The NCAA should have been abolished decades ago as being incompetent and corrupted and replaced, but the university sports system is in itself corrupt and protective of its sports business and institutional violators.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 10:06 AM

madbadger, 


Having a little fun with the situation. biggrin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/4/2014 10:12 AM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



Madtowntom wrote:
madbadger wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- TexasBadger wrote:

My guess is Cleveland State gets "it".

---------------------------------------------

Over the past twenty years the NCAA has shown no reluctance to punish marquee programs for transgressions. The list includes USC, PSU, OSU, OU, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, Nebraska, FSU, Notre Dame, Oregon, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M and our very own UW. The old joke about Cleveland State is lame.
While I agree that the Cleveland St reference is silly I think your statement is equally silly - no reluctance - really?? Just what has the NCAA done in the last 10 years to deter cheating at marquee programs? Most of the sanctions by the NCAA have been just as "lame" as the Cleveland St reference
That's because no one wants to see Duke and UNC punished, not the fans, not the media, and not the NCAA. People  want the NCAA to go after the "real bad guys".  That's why Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on his SAT is worse than decades of institutionalized academic fraud at UNC in the eyes of the fans, the media, and the NCAA.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/4/2014 11:27 AM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



EarlyTimes22 wrote:
That's because no one wants to see Duke and UNC punished, not the fans, not the media, and not the NCAA. People  want the NCAA to go after the "real bad guys".  That's why Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on his SAT is worse than decades of institutionalized academic fraud at UNC in the eyes of the fans, the media, and the NCAA.
rolleyes

Woe is UK.  How do you ever go on with all these bad people constantly ganging up on you.  Keep on fighting that good fight at every possible opportunity on other teams' boards.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/4/2014 11:38 AM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



komacki wrote:
EarlyTimes22 wrote:
That's because no one wants to see Duke and UNC punished, not the fans, not the media, and not the NCAA. People  want the NCAA to go after the "real bad guys".  That's why Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on his SAT is worse than decades of institutionalized academic fraud at UNC in the eyes of the fans, the media, and the NCAA.
rolleyes

Woe is UK.  How do you ever go on with all these bad people constantly ganging up on you.  Keep on fighting that good fight at every possible opportunity on other teams' boards.
Any specific issues with my comments? I'm sorry for hurting you with the truth, I'm guessing that's why you came at me and didn't address what I said.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 2:47 AM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 


"That's because no one wants to see Duke and UNC punished, not the fans, not the
media, and not the NCAA. People  want the NCAA to go after the "real bad guys".
That's why Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on his SAT is worse than decades of
institutionalized academic fraud at UNC in the eyes of the fans, the media, and
the NCAA."

Plays to your schtick but it's untrue that fans and media are uninterested.  This thread, alone, suggests you're real wrong.  Your inclusion of the NCAA is also grossly speculative so, yeah, I've got a problem.

Note "schtick".  Thus the "woe" aspect.  You build strawmen opposing your all-too-righteous but misunderstood UK and then proceed to knock them down.

On our board.

As if we cared.

Because it's a one-note song from you, not unlike the same seen from UNC fans that trot over here, it's BORING.  Because you persist you've become a boor.  You're a boring boor.

You should go bore fellow boors on the UK board.  I think we'd all like that.

A lot.

Last edited 7/6/2014 2:48 AM by Bendbadgersteve

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 4:35 AM

Re: NCAA revisiting UNC 



Bendbadgersteve wrote: "That's because no one wants to see Duke and UNC punished, not the fans, not the
media, and not the NCAA. People  want the NCAA to go after the "real bad guys".
That's why Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on his SAT is worse than decades of
institutionalized academic fraud at UNC in the eyes of the fans, the media, and
the NCAA."

Plays to your schtick but it's untrue that fans and media are uninterested.  This thread, alone, suggests you're real wrong.  Your inclusion of the NCAA is also grossly speculative so, yeah, I've got a problem.

Note "schtick".  Thus the "woe" aspect.  You build strawmen opposing your all-too-righteous but misunderstood UK and then proceed to knock them down.

On our board.

As if we cared.

Because it's a one-note song from you, not unlike the same seen from UNC fans that trot over here, it's BORING.  Because you persist you've become a boor.  You're a boring boor.

You should go bore fellow boors on the UK board.  I think we'd all like that.

A lot.
This thread started by stateone, is evidence that you guys care? Yeah, if you say so. There is no woe is me factor, its more of a SMH head at these sheep thing. The earlier poster was blaming marquee programs and the NCAA, it can't just UNC's problem because they along with Duke are the good guys. Either include the specific things that marquee programs got away with or don't bring it up at all. My inclusion of the NCAA was because Duke skated on Corey Maggette taking money from an agent and Lance Thomas getting $100K worth of jewelry while UMass had to vacate a season because Camby took money from an agent and the media and fans portray it as Calipari violations. There is a mountain of evidence and even an admission of guilt by UNC of academic fraud, it has clearly been going on for over a decade and they have skated so far. Compare that to Memphis vacating a season because Rose didn't respond to an inquiry questioning the validity of his SAT.  Guess which situation created the most outrage.

I was just posting my opinion, not trying to entertain you BTW.
Reply | Quote