Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

8 Coaches remaining....

Posted: 6/24/2014 12:47 PM

8 Coaches remaining.... 


So any guesses who the top 8 will be?

My guess is: Ryan, Izzo, Self, Coach K, Calapari, Pitino. Crean and Donovan...your thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/ncb/noteboo...an-john-beilein
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 12:55 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Scratch Crean.  Insert Marshall.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/24/2014 12:59 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Crean is already out there, on the right side, " 25 names who just missed"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 1:06 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


oops - my bad, Crean is out - yes, the Wichita State Coach should be in the Top 8 Then!

Any guesses where Bo will be??  he should be top 6!
Reply | Quote
  • jakeec
  • Junior
  • 3377 posts this site

Posted: 6/24/2014 1:13 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



BabcockHouse wrote: So any guesses who the top 8 will be?

My guess is: Ryan, Izzo, Self, Coach K, Calapari, Pitino. Crean and Donovan...your thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/ncb/noteboo...an-john-beilein
I would guess Coach K, Pitino, Donovan, Calapari, and Izzo are in the top 5.  Self is a mystery to me. He dominates the regular season and has had made the Elite 8 and been runner up the last 5 years.  That probably puts him ahead of Bo but he does it with top 30 talent while Bo has not.

Marshall should definitely be behind Bo.  I am guessing Bo is 7th and I think that is fair.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 1:19 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Not how I see it but how I predict the Final 8 will end up

8) Marshall
7) Ryan
6) Self
5) Donavan
4) Pitino
3) Izzo
2) Calipari
1) Coach K
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 2:38 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



BuckyRolo wrote: Not how I see it but how I predict the Final 8 will end up

8) Marshall
7) Ryan
6) Self
5) Donavan
4) Pitino
3) Izzo
2) Calipari
1) Coach K
There are no number of years you can use to make Coach K the number 1 coach right now. He's only top 5 if you go to the limit and count the last 5 years.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 4:39 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Putting Crean in the top 10 of any coaching list should be punishable by death. Unless its the top ten worst. Then feel free to include Clappy.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 4:56 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



EarlyTimes22 wrote:
BuckyRolo wrote: Not how I see it but how I predict the Final 8 will end up

8) Marshall
7) Ryan
6) Self
5) Donavan
4) Pitino
3) Izzo
2) Calipari
1) Coach K
There are no number of years you can use to make Coach K the number 1 coach right now. He's only top 5 if you go to the limit and count the last 5 years.
I agree. These rankings aren't my thoughts...just my predictions on what ESPN will do
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 5:25 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



BuckyRolo wrote:
EarlyTimes22 wrote:
BuckyRolo wrote: Not how I see it but how I predict the Final 8 will end up

8) Marshall
7) Ryan
6) Self
5) Donavan
4) Pitino
3) Izzo
2) Calipari
1) Coach K
There are no number of years you can use to make Coach K the number 1 coach right now. He's only top 5 if you go to the limit and count the last 5 years.
I agree. These rankings aren't my thoughts...just my predictions on what ESPN will do
Did they ever say what the exact criteria they're using is?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 6:01 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



BuckyRolo wrote: Not how I see it but how I predict the Final 8 will end up

8) Marshall
7) Ryan
6) Self
5) Donavan
4) Pitino
3) Izzo
2) Calipari
1) Coach K
Can't really argue with any order for the final 8 as they're all outstanding.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/24/2014 6:08 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 




Everyone makes mistakes, but did you really think Crean would be in the top 10 ? WTF..........
---------------------------------------------
--- BabcockHouse wrote:

So any guesses who the top 8 will be?

My guess is: Ryan, Izzo, Self, Coach K, Calapari, Pitino. Crean and Donovan...your thoughts?

espn.go.com/ncb/noteboo...an-john-beilein

---------------------------------------------
 
You come at the king, you best not miss.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 7:43 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Mike Davis has a better resume at IU than Tom Crean.

*This is not a joke.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 8:08 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



spdude wrote:

Everyone makes mistakes, but did you really think Crean would be in the top 10 ? WTF..........
---------------------------------------------
--- BabcockHouse wrote:

So any guesses who the top 8 will be?

My guess is: Ryan, Izzo, Self, Coach K, Calapari, Pitino. Crean and Donovan...your thoughts?

espn.go.com/ncb/noteboo...an-john-beilein

---------------------------------------------
yes i made i mistake - i couldnt think of anyone else, the Wichita State coach slipped me...my bad. frown
Reply | Quote
  • brm2300
  • Walk-On
  • 25 posts this site

Posted: 6/24/2014 10:03 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Where does anyone think Bo would have been a year ago before our Final 4 run? I would guess at least 15 to 20 spots lower.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 10:15 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



brm2300 wrote: Where does anyone think Bo would have been a year ago before our Final 4 run? I would guess at least 15 to 20 spots lower.
And you would be wrong - he's widely respected in BB circles and has been for years. A better ? would be what would another Final 4, or dare I say a NC, put him?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 3:39 AM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Since he's already widely respected in BB circles (and has been for several years), it probably wouldn't matter that much.
.
stlbadger wrote:
brm2300 wrote: Where does anyone think Bo would have been a year ago before our Final 4 run? I would guess at least 15 to 20 spots lower.
And you would be wrong - he's widely respected in BB circles and has been for years. A better ? would be what would another Final 4, or dare I say a NC, put him?

Last edited 6/25/2014 3:41 AM by betrage

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/25/2014 8:51 AM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Since they are weighting this year so heavily (see Thad Matta's ranking), I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bo shows up at #3. Top 4 for sure!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 8:55 AM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


I'm guessing ESPN will rank Bo 4 or 5.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 9:08 AM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



BuckyBarsuk wrote: Since they are weighting this year so heavily (see Thad Matta's ranking), I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bo shows up at #3. Top 4 for sure!
Curious to see how K ranks compared to Matta if they are being consistent with recent success 

This past year K 26 wins, Matta 25
both lost first game in tourney, K was 3 seed, Matta was a 6 seed
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 9:42 AM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


This list was assembled by a troop of monkeys.  Not the smart ones like Chimps, Bonobos, or Macaques, but rather by proboscis monkeys. The very premise of this list should have been rejected from the start. You don't rank coaches based on one year's worth of data.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 12:00 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 





---------------------------------------------
--- RichInBunlyGoodness wrote:

This list was assembled by a troop of monkeys.  Not the smart ones like Chimps, Bonobos, or Macaques, but rather by proboscis monkeys. The very premise of this list should have been rejected from the start. You don't rank coaches based on one year's worth of data.

---------------------------------------------

Well technically they are not otherwise Ollie would be higher than he is.

They can't even get their criteria correct. Fran McTampery at 33 is a joke whether you make the list recent history or career history. Iowa collapsed last year and had basically the same year as the year prior with a terrible non-conference schedule.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 4:19 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Gary Parrish on cbssports.com, ran a 'draft of college coaches".  Calipari was drafted #1.  Bo, #17.........

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on- college-basketball/24596512/college-basketball-coa ches-draft-who-would-you-pick-to-lead-your-team
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 4:57 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


You know what's ridiculous about this, half those 16 can't hold a candle to Ryan. It just goes to show how little these talking heads know about the sport. Ryan wins with whoever he has on roster, with a better won/lost percentage, in a harder conference than most, and he fills the stands if perpetually being in the top 5-6 is any indication. What else is there to know about the guy. 17 my a$$. So much for team brains at CBS Sports.

Last edited 6/25/2014 5:01 PM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 5:00 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Seems age was a fairly large factor in that escapade
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 5:17 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


You know, there are very few coaches that can win no matter the conditions they are coaching in.  Some only seem to be able to win if the conditions are optimal (They are in a weak conference, they are at a blue-blood school with recruiting advantages, they win big once and a while with loaded rosters, they win with a special player, etc etc).

Bo Ryan wins year after year after year no matter the conditions.  The only coaches that are comparable in my mind are Bill Belicek, Gregg Poppovich.  Bo has proven he can win without elite talent just as well as he can win with better talent.  He can win at a lesser known school.

He wins and wins and wins.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 5:19 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



Badgers919 wrote: Seems age was a fairly large factor in that escapade
Yes, the journalists seem to give higher rankings to the younger "up and coming" coaches.  Smart, Stevens, Bennett, Ollie etc seem to get overrated by about 1-10 spots simply because they're under 45.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 5:20 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



BigTenwatcher wrote: You know, there are very few coaches that can win no matter the conditions they are coaching in.  Some only seem to be able to win if the conditions are optimal (They are in a weak conference, they are at a blue-blood school with recruiting advantages, they win big once and a while with loaded rosters, they win with a special player, etc etc).

Bo Ryan wins year after year after year no matter the conditions.  The only coaches that are comparable in my mind are Bill Belicek, Gregg Poppovich.  Bo has proven he can win without elite talent just as well as he can win with better talent.  He can win at a lesser known school.

He wins and wins and wins.
I wonder how many of those 16 have a winning record against Ryan head-to-head. Izzo, Beilein, and Matta don't. There's a few others there that I don't think have either. I don't think Self does. Coach K might be tied, etc.

Last edited 6/25/2014 5:29 PM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 8:33 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 


Those two have championships.


---------------------------------------------
--- BigTenwatcher wrote:

You know, there are very few coaches that can win no matter the conditions they are coaching in.  Some only seem to be able to win if the conditions are optimal (They are in a weak conference, they are at a blue-blood school with recruiting advantages, they win big once and a while with loaded rosters, they win with a special player, etc etc).

Bo Ryan wins year after year after year no matter the conditions.  The only coaches that are comparable in my mind are Bill Belicek, Gregg Poppovich.  Bo has proven he can win without elite talent just as well as he can win with better talent.  He can win at a lesser known school.

He wins and wins and wins.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/25/2014 11:10 PM

Re: 8 Coaches remaining.... 



BigTenwatcher wrote:
Badgers919 wrote: Seems age was a fairly large factor in that escapade
Yes, the journalists seem to give higher rankings to the younger "up and coming" coaches.  Smart, Stevens, Bennett, Ollie etc seem to get overrated by about 1-10 spots simply because they're under 45.

Well duh!  If you're doing a fantasy keeper/dynasty draft who has more value, Cam Newton or Peyton Manning?  Newton all day.  Who would I take in a standard single season league?  Manning all day.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >