Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Frank Kaminsky thoughts

Posted: 6/23/2014 2:50 PM

Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Frank exploded as a Jr - 27.2 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 6.32 rbg, 53% FG, 38% 3 pt, 77% FT. What can we expect as a senior? A stronger / more aggressive player - especially on D and rebounding. If he improves 1/2 as much this year, he could be 1st team AA.
Reply | Quote
  • panama74
  • Sophomore
  • 2994 posts this site

Posted: 6/23/2014 3:00 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


He could not improve at all over last year and be an All-American. He was the best center in the country over the last two months of the season.
Reply | Quote
  • mbadger
  • Freshman
  • 1946 posts this site

Posted: 6/24/2014 3:33 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


personally, i would like to see him rebound better, block more shots, and score a bit more consistently to get him in the 16 points/game range.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 4:02 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Just glad he's coming back.  A bit more consistent play would great. Needs to get stronger for NBA.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/24/2014 4:25 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


A little bit older and heavier and stronger + a full year of experience as a starter + the confidence of knowing now that he can do it, even against good teams = a better player than last year.

Last edited 6/25/2014 11:06 AM by dcamp

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 4:47 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



dcamp wrote: A little bit older and heavier and stronger + a full year of experience as a starter + the confidence of knowing now that he can do it, even against good teams = a better player than last year.

As a footnote, with so much attention on Kaminsky this year, and with Hayes also drawing increasing attention from opponents, maybe Dekker will feel less pressure and can cut loose a little more.
Also certain guard need not feel so much pressure to take that last shot. Lots of scorers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 4:52 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Pressure? You apparently haven't watched the badgers in years.


---------------------------------------------
--- 911sfan wrote:


dcamp wrote: A little bit older and heavier and stronger + a full year of experience as a starter + the confidence of knowing now that he can do it, even against good teams = a better player than last year.

As a footnote, with so much attention on Kaminsky this year, and with Hayes also drawing increasing attention from opponents, maybe Dekker will feel less pressure and can cut loose a little more.
Also certain guard need not feel so much pressure to take that last shot. Lots of scorers.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 6:40 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



panama74 wrote: He could not improve at all over last year and be an All-American. He was the best center in the country over the last two months of the season.
Yup. Stellar game vs Kentucky. With Brust gone, maybe a few more 3s for Frank. Great stroke.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 8:24 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 





---------------------------------------------
--- Combad57 wrote:


panama74 wrote: He could not improve at all over last year and be an All-American. He was the best center in the country over the last two months of the season.
Yup. Stellar game vs Kentucky. With Brust gone, maybe a few more 3s for Frank. Great stroke.

---------------------------------------------

He did have a good game actually. He was efficient in the shots he took and didn't force things when he had
3 guys draped on him


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 4:13 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Frank can improve by being more aggressive, in spite of his size, he tends to drift out to the perimeter and not attack the rim as much as he could and should. As long as the team lets him be the go to guy, he will improve a lot.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2014 5:11 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



BdgerBdgerBdger wrote: Frank can improve by being more aggressive, in spite of his size, he tends to drift out to the perimeter and not attack the rim as much as he could and should. As long as the team lets him be the go to guy, he will improve a lot.
The team doesn't have to "let him be the go-to guy".  There are several other very talented players in the lineup (Dekker, Hayes, Koenig, Gasser) all of whom have great offensive scoring ability.  I hope Frank is aggressive in the post but if you have 1-player that carries too much of the weight then an opposing team can eliminate that particular player.  The great thing about Wisconsin is there are players all over the court that can lead from game to game.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 9:39 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



BigTenwatcher wrote:
BdgerBdgerBdger wrote: Frank can improve by being more aggressive, in spite of his size, he tends to drift out to the perimeter and not attack the rim as much as he could and should. As long as the team lets him be the go to guy, he will improve a lot.
The team doesn't have to "let him be the go-to guy".  There are several other very talented players in the lineup (Dekker, Hayes, Koenig, Gasser) all of whom have great offensive scoring ability.  I hope Frank is aggressive in the post but if you have 1-player that carries too much of the weight then an opposing team can eliminate that particular player.  The great thing about Wisconsin is there are players all over the court that can lead from game to game.
I just think the whole offence looks better when they feed him down low, from there he can use his size to score, or create a chance for another player.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 3:10 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


My hope for Kaminsky is that he can maintain what we saw down the stretch last season from him.  He was the best center in college basketball, none better.  We are going to miss Ben Brust's leadership more than some think.  If Frank can fill those big shoes too, this team will not miss a beat.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 3:41 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



TheNewRed wrote: My hope for Kaminsky is that he can maintain what we saw down the stretch last season from him.  He was the best center in college basketball, none better.  We are going to miss Ben Brust's leadership more than some think.  If Frank can fill those big shoes too, this team will not miss a beat.
Agreed.  It's not just that however, it's also the overrall team chemistry.  Anderson or Bohannon didn't play but they seemed to be well liked and respected.  That adds in to the whole team dynamic which was off the charts last year.  Brust was best friends with a lot of these guys.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 4:26 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


They also were huge cheer leaders who contributed positive energy.
BigTenwatcher wrote:
TheNewRed wrote: My hope for Kaminsky is that he can maintain what we saw down the stretch last season from him.  He was the best center in college basketball, none better.  We are going to miss Ben Brust's leadership more than some think.  If Frank can fill those big shoes too, this team will not miss a beat.
Agreed.  It's not just that however, it's also the overrall team chemistry.  Anderson or Bohannon didn't play but they seemed to be well liked and respected.  That adds in to the whole team dynamic which was off the charts last year.  Brust was best friends with a lot of these guys.

Go Badgers!  On Wisconsin!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:27 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Doubt we'll miss Brust's leadership much.  There will be plenty of seniors next year.  We'll miss his 3 point shooting and FT shooting though.  Maybe rebounding too.


Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back - Bruce Lee.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 6:51 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Over his last 2 calendar months, Kaminsky played 15 games and averaged 16.3 points and 6.7 rebounds.  I suspect if he wants to be a 1st team AA this season he will need to greatly increase his rebounding numbers.  It's hard to be 7 feet tall and grab less than 7 rebounds a game and get All American honors in this day and age of All American lists being essentially unrelated to position (last season not a single true center got any mention on any major All American team with PF Julius Randle being the closest).
panama74 wrote: He could not improve at all over last year and be an All-American. He was the best center in the country over the last two months of the season.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 7:06 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



UWRX95 wrote: Doubt we'll miss Brust's leadership much.  There will be plenty of seniors next year.  We'll miss his 3 point shooting and FT shooting though.  Maybe rebounding too.
If Bronson takes his minutes, no loss on the 1st 2.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 9:45 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



blockm2 wrote: Over his last 2 calendar months, Kaminsky played 15 games and averaged 16.3 points and 6.7 rebounds.  I suspect if he wants to be a 1st team AA this season he will need to greatly increase his rebounding numbers.  It's hard to be 7 feet tall and grab less than 7 rebounds a game and get All American honors in this day and age of All American lists being essentially unrelated to position (last season not a single true center got any mention on any major All American team with PF Julius Randle being the closest).
panama74 wrote: He could not improve at all over last year and be an All-American. He was the best center in the country over the last two months of the season.
That would be true block if Frank was sitting under the offensive basket but he often wasn't, was he?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 9:50 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Kelly Olynyk averaged 18 and 7 in his AA season 2 years ago.

So Frank's end of last season isn't that far off.
blockm2 wrote: Over his last 2 calendar months, Kaminsky played 15 games and averaged 16.3 points and 6.7 rebounds.  I suspect if he wants to be a 1st team AA this season he will need to greatly increase his rebounding numbers.  It's hard to be 7 feet tall and grab less than 7 rebounds a game and get All American honors in this day and age of All American lists being essentially unrelated to position (last season not a single true center got any mention on any major All American team with PF Julius Randle being the closest).
panama74 wrote: He could not improve at all over last year and be an All-American. He was the best center in the country over the last two months of the season.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 10:10 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



stlbadger wrote:
UWRX95 wrote: Doubt we'll miss Brust's leadership much.  There will be plenty of seniors next year.  We'll miss his 3 point shooting and FT shooting though.  Maybe rebounding too.
If Bronson takes his minutes, no loss on the 1st 2.
So you are projecting BK to go from 6 for 8 from the line to 80 for 89 this year?  And he's going to make 96 3 pointers?  If not - there SOMETHING is lost.
BTW - since Bronson won't 'take his minutes', I'm sure that will be your excuse, but hopefully this reply helps you understand why the ridiculous 1 liners you fire out there rarely have any value other than pushing your agenda.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 10:50 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Strongly disagree with this.  Brust was the glue guy and, yes, there was that productive consistency.  Seniors are not necessarily leaders:  we see it all the time.  One of my biggest concerns is that we may not have someone with the necessary mix of leadership talents and experience.  Burgundy certainly appears to have the talents for that but he will be awfully young.  Gasser certainly has the experience but does he have the personality traits?  Dekker and Jackson are pretenders in that department.  Koenig may have all the BB talent in the world but we've see nothing from his personality to suggest he is a leader.  Frank may have both but we've not seen that to date.  
UWRX95 wrote: Doubt we'll miss Brust's leadership much.  There will be plenty of seniors next year.  We'll miss his 3 point shooting and FT shooting though.  Maybe rebounding too.

Last edited 6/27/2014 10:52 AM by TheNewRed

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 12:13 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



BleacherBadger wrote: Kelly Olynyk averaged 18 and 7 in his AA season 2 years ago.

So Frank's end of last season isn't that far off.

You are correct that the last 2 months of Kaminsky's season he was kinda sorta close to what Kelly Olynyk did 2 years ago over a full season.  Still not good enough to be All American IMHO.  I think he'd need to average about 17-18 ppg and 8-9 rpg to get 1st team nod.  Defensive rebounding is probably where he needs to step up most for that sort of season as he "only" ranked 330th nationally in DR% on KenPom last season which isn't what you'd hope for an All American center.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 12:21 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



blockm2 wrote:
BleacherBadger wrote: Kelly Olynyk averaged 18 and 7 in his AA season 2 years ago.

So Frank's end of last season isn't that far off.

You are correct that the last 2 months of Kaminsky's season he was kinda sorta close to what Kelly Olynyk did 2 years ago over a full season.  Still not good enough to be All American IMHO.  I think he'd need to average about 17-18 ppg and 8-9 rpg to get 1st team nod.  Defensive rebounding is probably where he needs to step up most for that sort of season as he "only" ranked 330th nationally in DR% on KenPom last season which isn't what you'd hope for an All American center.
Kaminski really plays more like a PF in Bo's offense. Defensively, Wisconsin has always relied on boxing out and a team effort under the boards as multiple guards averaging 4-5 RBs a game would indicate.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 12:52 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


I'm talking about his qualifications for All American status.  Can't recall the last big guy I've seen get AA honors with such low rebounding numbers.  You can chalk it up to scheme or whatever, but 13 points and 6 rebounds a game isn't going to get All American recognition at the end of the season when you'll probably have guys like Okafor and Alexander putting up 15-20 ppg and 9-10 rpg.

Can Kaminsky become an All American?  Sure.  But he'll have to make nearly as big a leap from junior to senior as he did from sophomore to junior season.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:34 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



blockm2 wrote: I'm talking about his qualifications for All American status.  Can't recall the last big guy I've seen get AA honors with such low rebounding numbers.  You can chalk it up to scheme or whatever, but 13 points and 6 rebounds a game isn't going to get All American recognition at the end of the season when you'll probably have guys like Okafor and Alexander putting up 15-20 ppg and 9-10 rpg.

Can Kaminsky become an All American?  Sure.  But he'll have to make nearly as big a leap from junior to senior as he did from sophomore to junior season.
What? Make one more 3pt shot per game and a couple FTs while still shooting the same %? Get one and a half more Rebounds? Tough!

Well, I guess it is tough when your team is unselfish and distributes the scoring as well as Wisconsin does.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:52 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



UnknownBadger wrote:
What? Make one more 3pt shot per game and a couple FTs while still shooting the same %? Get one and a half more Rebounds? Tough!  Well, I guess it is tough when your team is unselfish and distributes the scoring as well as Wisconsin does.
You make it sound so simple.  Why doesn't every player that scores 13 ppg one season score 18 ppg the next season?  Why doesn't every player that gets 6 rebounds a game one season get 9 the next season?  Why doesn't the efficiency of every player stay the same when usage goes up?  I mean it's just 1 shot here or there and just 1 rebound here or there?


The game really is that easy, isn't it?

Last edited 6/27/2014 1:53 PM by blockm2

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/27/2014 2:27 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 


Frank's reputation skyrocketed with the performance in the post-season - the media and coaches know who he is now. If he's the leading scorer on a #1-seed type of team, he will get AA consideration -- I doubt the rebounds will matter. 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 5:21 PM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



blockm2 wrote:
UnknownBadger wrote:
What? Make one more 3pt shot per game and a couple FTs while still shooting the same %? Get one and a half more Rebounds? Tough!  Well, I guess it is tough when your team is unselfish and distributes the scoring as well as Wisconsin does.
You make it sound so simple.  Why doesn't every player that scores 13 ppg one season score 18 ppg the next season?  Why doesn't every player that gets 6 rebounds a game one season get 9 the next season?  Why doesn't the efficiency of every player stay the same when usage goes up?  I mean it's just 1 shot here or there and just 1 rebound here or there?


The game really is that easy, isn't it?
The last 14 games he averaged 17 points. Those games include the B1G tourney and the Dance.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/28/2014 5:35 AM

Re: Frank Kaminsky thoughts 



blockm2 wrote:
You make it sound so simple.  Why doesn't every player that scores 13 ppg one season score 18 ppg the next season?  Why doesn't every player that gets 6 rebounds a game one season get 9 the next season?  Why doesn't the efficiency of every player stay the same when usage goes up?  I mean it's just 1 shot here or there and just 1 rebound here or there?


The game really is that easy, isn't it?
OK....let's get the numbers accurate, Block M. Frank Kaminsky averaged 13.9 ppg...not 13. He averaged 6.3 rpg....not 6. He averaged 1.3 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.7 bpg, .528 fg%, .765 ft%, .378 3P%.  Those are the facts. Those are the numbers. Shorting him .9 points a game, shorting him on rebounds, etc, shows a certain agenda against Frank. Okafor hasn't played a game in the NCAA. Alexander isn't a Center, he's a PF. No one knows what these kids can do. We do have a "floor" for Frank. Most NBA scouts, coaches and observers of the game believe Frank will continue to improve his body and expand his already very skilled game. There's a reason why he's in every conversation about pre-season All-Americans. Did you watch Frank @ Michigan?? Did you watch his game grow as the season went on and did you happen to see the NCAA tournament? MOP in the West Region. Kaleb Tarczewski was invisible in the Arizona game. Wasn't there something about Frank being the leading scorer among the players in the Final Four?? No possibility for Frank to be an AA??? He's already 1st team B1G...you don't think he can make the jump to AA after seeing him dominate in the Dance???
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >