Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Amir Coffey 2016

Posted: 6/23/2014 3:19 AM

Amir Coffey 2016 


Wisconsin just offered this young man. 2016 player. Looks to be on the same AAU team as Jarvis Johnson.

Go get him Bo!


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 9:40 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


It's curious that a 5* recruit has so few offers from higher profile programs.  That doesn't concern me as long as Bo thinks he's worth the offer.  Last I looked though, he didn't have an offer from Minny.  Just wonder why. noidea
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"It's easier to fool people, than it is to convince them they've been fooled."   Mark Twain
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 10:22 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



JWE44 wrote: It's curious that a 5* recruit has so few offers from higher profile programs.  That doesn't concern me as long as Bo thinks he's worth the offer.  Last I looked though, he didn't have an offer from Minny.  Just wonder why. noidea
Coffey has had an offer from the Gophers for like a year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 10:26 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Coffey is also ranked around 30 in the Top 100 players for 2016.

So besides the fact that you should error on the side of trusting Bo Ryan, yeah the kid is good and well regarded nationally


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 12:37 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Shocking that he has a Creighton offer.  Is there anyone Creighton hasn't offered?  Is Gary Andersen their coach?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 1:21 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Interesting article in Star Trib basically saying Coffey is going to land at whatever school promises to play him at the 1/2.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 1:25 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


See he is son of former Gopher Richard Coffey(1986-1990) and 1 year timberwolf.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 2:06 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 





---------------------------------------------
--- TimeWarp07 wrote:

Interesting article in Star Trib basically saying Coffey is going to land at whatever school promises to play him at the 1/2.

---------------------------------------------

I'd tell his father this: any coach that promises you that your kid will play the 1/2 spot is a program that you don't want to send your son. Why? Because that staff will say anything, even if that isn't their intent. Send your kid to a program that promises to develop and his all around game regardless of the position.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 2:50 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



Activebadger wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- TimeWarp07 wrote:

Interesting article in Star Trib basically saying Coffey is going to land at whatever school promises to play him at the 1/2.

---------------------------------------------

I'd tell his father this: any coach that promises you that your kid will play the 1/2 spot is a program that you don't want to send your son. Why? Because that staff will say anything, even if that isn't their intent. Send your kid to a program that promises to develop and his all around game regardless of the position.
Soon after accepting a scholarship I remember Mike Bruesewitz saying that Bo Ryan told him that he was going to play the 2 noidea

I'm with ya, I'd let the college coaches decide how to best use my kid's skillset rather than seeking out a coach that agrees with me, since they get paid the big bucks and all.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 3:54 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Be careful what you wish for.  That might be one of the CRAZIEST things a father could say in the early stages of recruitment.  Dad thinks son is similar to his most recent child's recruitment.  His daughter just finished her freshman year at Northwestern.  She had narrowed her choices to Stanford, Duke and Northwestern.  Dad was not overjoyed with the decision of being a Wildcat.
Daughter / sister was on the USA U-16, U-17 and U-19 squads.  She was easily the top Minnesota recruit, one of the top 25 nationally recruited kids in her class and top 8 at her position by ESPN.  She was first team all big ten this past year.
The potential negative here is that it is a TWO FOR ONE deal and I don't mean Brother and Sister.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 5:11 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



EricTheeRed wrote:
JWE44 wrote: It's curious that a 5* recruit has so few offers from higher profile programs.  That doesn't concern me as long as Bo thinks he's worth the offer.  Last I looked though, he didn't have an offer from Minny.  Just wonder why. noidea
Coffey has had an offer from the Gophers for like a year.
Then the Scout database is at least a year behind wink
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"It's easier to fool people, than it is to convince them they've been fooled."   Mark Twain
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 5:38 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



TimeWarp07 wrote: Interesting article in Star Trib basically saying Coffey is going to land at whatever school promises to play him at the 1/2.
More likely to play the 6
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 6:05 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



TimeWarp07 wrote: Interesting article in Star Trib basically saying Coffey is going to land at whatever school promises to play him at the 1/2.
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 6:44 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


why waste the offer? ain't no way this cat is coming to madison as long as bo is the coach. his old man sounds like maymons dad.


good luck to the coach that gets this kid. going to have daddy all over him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 7:03 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



tmoneylovesguns wrote: why waste the offer? 
Doesn't cost us anything, but yeah, he's not coming here.  No harm in continuing to build relationships within that program.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 8:36 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


His dad did not seem like Maymon's dad to me.
tmoneylovesguns wrote: why waste the offer? ain't no way this cat is coming to madison as long as bo is the coach. his old man sounds like maymons dad.


good luck to the coach that gets this kid. going to have daddy all over him.

Go Badgers!  On Wisconsin!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 8:46 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



NCBadger wrote: His dad did not seem like Maymon's dad to me.
tmoneylovesguns wrote: why waste the offer? ain't no way this cat is coming to madison as long as bo is the coach. his old man sounds like maymons dad.


good luck to the coach that gets this kid. going to have daddy all over him.
from what tmoney read, the old man wants to tell the coach where his kid should play. that sounds just like maymons dad.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 8:55 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



tmoneylovesguns wrote: why waste the offer? ain't no way this cat is coming to madison as long as bo is the coach. his old man sounds like maymons dad.


good luck to the coach that gets this kid. going to have daddy all over him.
I had the pleasure of watching Richard play basketball for years in Minneapolis.
His forte' was he worked his butt off for rebounds and contribute any way possible to his team.

I'm not sure why you've chosen to bad mouth this guy but, given your prejudices, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  
How quickly you've gone from funny and quirky to obnoxious and revolting.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 9:10 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Richard goes from being a PLAYER who worked his butt off to a Daddy who is trying to tell coaches what position his son will play if they are so LUCKY to have him choose their school. This is what they call putting the cart before the horse.

There was a Daddy from the same high school program who tried pulling that stuff with a Coach who's last name starts with K after his son committed to this coach's program.

How did that work out for that young man?? Tell Richard to go back to what got him playing time by WORKING HIS BUTT OFF and not having his Daddy looking for COACHES to make promises.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 9:18 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Bo isn't known for running a fast paced offense. He may be the best point guard coach in the BIG, but I don't know if he gets that credit.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 9:24 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



TheSource1 wrote: Richard goes from being a PLAYER who worked his butt off to a Daddy who is trying to tell coaches what position his son will play if they are so LUCKY to have him choose their school. This is what they call putting the cart before the horse.

There was a Daddy from the same high school program who tried pulling that stuff with a Coach who's last name starts with K after his son committed to this coach's program.

How did that work out for that young man?? Tell Richard to go back to what got him playing time by WORKING HIS BUTT OFF and not having his Daddy looking for COACHES to make promises.
That's coming from a Goofer fan!
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 12:59 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


I have a daughter who plays hockey and she's good enough to have created options for herself. I have learned first hand the importance of picking the right team. Reasons may vary, her's are that she plays multiple sports and needs to know the commitment expectations from each coaching staff. I wanna know before choosing a team if they are flexible or not. It saves headaches later. 

Richard Coffey knows his son's game better than anyone, and lets face it, he's a pretty good source by all accounts. In college basketball, its as likely for a 6'7 player to play power forward vs. small forward. It might be a scenario he wishes to avoid. He's being honest early on. Don't recruit my son if you want him as a forward. He's requesting tape and doing homework on coaches. You owe your son that much, you've invested so much to this point, see it through. 

For those who have preconceived notions of who Richard Coffey seems to be, it might be worth noting that in addition to his time at the U of Minn. he also served 3 years for the U.S. Army in the 82nd Airborne. I'm guessing that there's more than just a basketball mindset in his decision making process. One article, based largely on one day of his life, and so many of you have this man and his values all figured out. That's a very lazy position to assume based on so little information.

tmoneylovesguns wrote:
NCBadger wrote: His dad did not seem like Maymon's dad to me.
tmoneylovesguns wrote: why waste the offer? ain't no way this cat is coming to madison as long as bo is the coach. his old man sounds like maymons dad.


good luck to the coach that gets this kid. going to have daddy all over him.
from what tmoney read, the old man wants to tell the coach where his kid should play. that sounds just like maymons dad.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 8:38 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



JJCalBadger wrote:
tmoneylovesguns wrote: why waste the offer? ain't no way this cat is coming to madison as long as bo is the coach. his old man sounds like maymons dad.


good luck to the coach that gets this kid. going to have daddy all over him.
I had the pleasure of watching Richard play basketball for years in Minneapolis.
His forte' was he worked his butt off for rebounds and contribute any way possible to his team.

I'm not sure why you've chosen to bad mouth this guy but, given your prejudices, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  
How quickly you've gone from funny and quirky to obnoxious and revolting.
I agree opinions tend to be strong one way or the other and both sides are on shaky ground because they really don't know who this guy is; much less his motives.  But on what basis do  you use terms like obnoxious and revolting to describe the side who concludes we shouldn't get involved with this recruit?
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"It's easier to fool people, than it is to convince them they've been fooled."   Mark Twain

Last edited 6/24/2014 12:03 PM by JWE44

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/24/2014 9:07 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


It's one thing to want to know if a coach will accomodate time constraints of being a two sport player (reasonable) and thinking you know more than a hall of fame level coach simply because you used to be a player.

That being said, here's a clip from the linked article talking about the dad's perspective:

He wants to see how much a team moves the ball -- he believes his son's passing ability should be fully utilized.

Those criteria are non-negotiable.

"If schools are considering him as a three, they're probably not going to make it too far in the process with us," Coffey said. "Because he's not a 3. The best part of Amir's game, to me, is something that can't really be taught: his ability to see the court."

Don't we have a bigger guard with elite court vision on the roster (who should be starting sometime in the next two years)? Don't we pass the ball extremely well as a team? Why don't we have a chance? I think we meet the father's expectations, assuming Bo thinks the kid has the skills to play some guard in his offense.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 9:32 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Nothing wrong with doing all those things for your son's best interest.  However, when you come out publicly and tell everyone that YOU will tell coaches what is and is NOT negotiable, YOU will be watching film on the program and YOU will be telling coaches what the BEST part of your son's game is and what YOU think can and can NOT be taught.  

The best predictor of future performance is past performance.  Do some research and you will see there are plenty of detonated land mines behind from previous experiences with older kids.

When you have stupid thoughts, only you know they are stupid.  When you say stupid things (more importantly to a reporter), EVERYONE knows.

Don't be the parent who was NEVER highly recruited and now has to live through your kids experience.  How about step back and be the supportive parent in the background.  Let this be about the kid's recruitment.

Watch a documentary about a guy named Archie Manning and how he handled his kids through high school, college and the next level.  CLASS..

Self-promotion by a kids parents will get you nothing.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 10:04 AM

Will Little Richard be at UM in 16-17?? 


Guessing IF little Richard has some NCAA success in 2015 or 2016, he'll be gone to next bigger, better program.
Regarding Coffey, will be funny to see Golden Rodent fans meltdown IF he leaves the state.biggrin
Reply | Quote
  • HAAAS
  • Walk-On
  • 190 posts this site

Posted: 6/24/2014 10:34 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


I don't get it.  I didn't think 1-5 positions really mattered that much from an offensive perspective on Wisconsin.  All five players on the court will get opportunities to handle the ball on the perimeter, shoot the three, post up, dribble-drive - as long as they are competent in these skills.  Bo isn't going to ask a guy to just post-up and play off ball because he is over 6'4".  Wisconsin sounds like a great fit.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 11:33 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



HAAAS wrote: I don't get it.  I didn't think 1-5 positions really mattered that much from an offensive perspective on Wisconsin.  All five players on the court will get opportunities to handle the ball on the perimeter, shoot the three, post up, dribble-drive - as long as they are competent in these skills.  Bo isn't going to ask a guy to just post-up and play off ball because he is over 6'4".  Wisconsin sounds like a great fit.
And further - any position will not only be allowed to pass the ball, seeing the court and hitting the open man is an expectation and requirement. If court vision & passing ability are one of the strongest parts of his game, he absolutely would be able to put that to great use for UW & Bo.

Engage the good posters, ignore the bad, report as inappropriate the problems. Message board rules. Thanks.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 11:58 AM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 



TheSource1 wrote: Nothing wrong with doing all those things for your son's best interest.  However, when you come out publicly and tell everyone that YOU will tell coaches what is and is NOT negotiable, YOU will be watching film on the program and YOU will be telling coaches what the BEST part of your son's game is and what YOU think can and can NOT be taught.  

The best predictor of future performance is past performance.  Do some research and you will see there are plenty of detonated land mines behind from previous experiences with older kids.

When you have stupid thoughts, only you know they are stupid.  When you say stupid things (more importantly to a reporter), EVERYONE knows.

Don't be the parent who was NEVER highly recruited and now has to live through your kids experience.  How about step back and be the supportive parent in the background.  Let this be about the kid's recruitment.

Watch a documentary about a guy named Archie Manning and how he handled his kids through high school, college and the next level.  CLASS..

Self-promotion by a kids parents will get you nothing.
Just so I'm clear, you believe this father is wrong for dictating what type of program his son will play for but Archie Manning who told the world that his son would not play for the San Diego Chargers even if they followed the NFL process of drafting him is "CLASS".?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 12:15 PM

Re: Amir Coffey 2016 


Was that the same Archie Manning that told certain NFL teams not to draft his son because he would never play for them in the days before his draft? Archie Manning is classy and Richard Coffey is stupid?  Got it. banghead
 
He's not telling coaches how to coach or run there program, he's just saying don't recruit my kid unless you intend to use him as a guard. Do you honestly think that coaches don't have these exact same conversations with nearly every recruit they pursue? Parents and kids want to know how they're gonna be used, what position they will play, how much playing time they will get, who are their other recruits at that position,etc. 

Every parent thinks they know what's best for their child, some prove to foolish, others prove to be wise. I'm willing to give Richard the benefit of the doubt based on his personal experience with the process and his professional basketball experience after college.

Coaching is a cut throat business and every coach at one point in time or another is simply looking after their own interests. It's the nature of the business. Some parents are weary of this. Usually by the time they reached this point of the process, they've been pressured and lied to by more people than they can remember. If this is my son, i'm not sure i wouldn't handle things in a similar manner. 

According to you, "he was not overjoyed with his daughter's choice of schools", which tells me all i need to know about the man. The choice belongs to the child. The father just identifies the best choices, in his opinion.

TheSource1 wrote: Nothing wrong with doing all those things for your son's best interest.  However, when you come out publicly and tell everyone that YOU will tell coaches what is and is NOT negotiable, YOU will be watching film on the program and YOU will be telling coaches what the BEST part of your son's game is and what YOU think can and can NOT be taught.  

The best predictor of future performance is past performance.  Do some research and you will see there are plenty of detonated land mines behind from previous experiences with older kids.

When you have stupid thoughts, only you know they are stupid.  When you say stupid things (more importantly to a reporter), EVERYONE knows.

Don't be the parent who was NEVER highly recruited and now has to live through your kids experience.  How about step back and be the supportive parent in the background.  Let this be about the kid's recruitment.

Watch a documentary about a guy named Archie Manning and how he handled his kids through high school, college and the next level.  CLASS..

Self-promotion by a kids parents will get you nothing.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >