Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend.

Posted: 6/6/2014 6:23 AM

Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


Per Evan Daniels of Scout. Was originally planning to visit with Malik Newman. Hopefully he sees that Storrs sucks and is in the middle of nowhere
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 9:54 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



BigTenwatcher wrote: Per Evan Daniels of Scout. Was originally planning to visit with Malik Newman. Hopefully he sees that Storrs sucks and is in the middle of nowhere
Sort of like Madison...?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 10:58 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


Not even close.  Storrs has NO downtown. It is on zero lists of great college towns while Madison is on every list.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 11:12 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



Nukem2 wrote:
BigTenwatcher wrote: Per Evan Daniels of Scout. Was originally planning to visit with Malik Newman. Hopefully he sees that Storrs sucks and is in the middle of nowhere
Sort of like Madison...?
The "sucks" part reminds me of Milwaukee.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 11:14 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


Lol.....you just gotta let go my man. Stone is not coming to Madison. I don't have any inside info. on this, but if he wants to play with Newman it won't be in Madison. Even Worgull's calling it a long shot now. I hope I turn out to be wrong, but reading the tea leaves doesn't seem to difficult on this one.

BigTenwatcher wrote: Per Evan Daniels of Scout. Was originally planning to visit with Malik Newman. Hopefully he sees that Storrs sucks and is in the middle of nowhere
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 2:32 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


I could easily see Diamond Stone coming to UW.  Why not?  It's going to be a dogfight but we've got as good of a chance as anyone and better than most.  Hell, his cousing just finished playing for Bo Ryan and he's only an hour or so down the road.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 4:36 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


heard UNC is in great position because they offer good scenary, weather and easy classes......
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/6/2014 5:28 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


it said orginally Newman was going too. Anyone know if Newman is not?  This package deal thing is crazy...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 5:55 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


He's said that he wanted to play with Newman and now he's taking official visits with him. Worgull called him a long shot and i tend to agree.
Activebadger wrote: I could easily see Diamond Stone coming to UW.  Why not?  It's going to be a dogfight but we've got as good of a chance as anyone and better than most.  Hell, his cousing just finished playing for Bo Ryan and he's only an hour or so down the road.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 6:35 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



betrage wrote: He's said that he wanted to play with Newman and now he's taking official visits with him. Worgull called him a long shot and i tend to agree.
Activebadger wrote: I could easily see Diamond Stone coming to UW.  Why not?  It's going to be a dogfight but we've got as good of a chance as anyone and better than most.  Hell, his cousing just finished playing for Bo Ryan and he's only an hour or so down the road.
History (Tokoto, Looney) suggests Stone very well may be a long shot.  But one of these days the in-state elite kids are going to realize Madison is as good a place to be as any (better to be honest).  So far Stone hasn't committed to anyone and so I see no reason to not be hopeful.  Let the process play out.  Our program has more going for it than ever before.
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"It's easier to fool people, than it is to convince them they've been fooled."   Mark Twain
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/6/2014 7:15 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



JWE44 wrote:
betrage wrote: He's said that he wanted to play with Newman and now he's taking official visits with him. Worgull called him a long shot and i tend to agree.
Activebadger wrote: I could easily see Diamond Stone coming to UW.  Why not?  It's going to be a dogfight but we've got as good of a chance as anyone and better than most.  Hell, his cousing just finished playing for Bo Ryan and he's only an hour or so down the road.
History (Tokoto, Looney) suggests Stone very well may be a long shot.  But one of these days the in-state elite kids are going to realize Madison is as good a place to be as any (better to be honest).  So far Stone hasn't committed to anyone and so I see no reason to not be hopeful.  Let the process play out.  Our program has more going for it than ever before.
"one of these days the in-state elite kids...." you mean like dekks an bronson an pritzel?wink
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/6/2014 8:34 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


Won't be any kid coming to Madison that's afraid of the classroom.  And any "package deal" B.S. will probably just set Bo off.

Don't know if any of that fits Diamond but, if so, he won't be here.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/7/2014 7:28 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


Could not have said it better myself..
+100
Bendbadgersteve wrote: Won't be any kid coming to Madison that's afraid of the classroom.  And any "package deal" B.S. will probably just set Bo off.

Don't know if any of that fits Diamond but, if so, he won't be here.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 11:10 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



tmoneylovesguns wrote:
JWE44 wrote:
betrage wrote: He's said that he wanted to play with Newman and now he's taking official visits with him. Worgull called him a long shot and i tend to agree.
Activebadger wrote: I could easily see Diamond Stone coming to UW.  Why not?  It's going to be a dogfight but we've got as good of a chance as anyone and better than most.  Hell, his cousing just finished playing for Bo Ryan and he's only an hour or so down the road.
History (Tokoto, Looney) suggests Stone very well may be a long shot.  But one of these days the in-state elite kids are going to realize Madison is as good a place to be as any (better to be honest).  So far Stone hasn't committed to anyone and so I see no reason to not be hopeful.  Let the process play out.  Our program has more going for it than ever before.
"one of these days the in-state elite kids...." you mean like dekks an bronson an pritzel?wink
Well to be fair Dekker, Koenig, and Pritzl are all far from elite. Yes I know Dekker was a 5* and would probably be considered elite but he was a small town Wisconsin kid who committed two years before he ever played college ball. Much like Meyers Leonard to Illinois. And well he is really looking like a 4 year college player hardly elite as 5* guys go. In fact the only guys rated ahead of him still in school are Alex Poythress who has been competing with about 5 5* guys at his positions and Rodney Purvis who left NCST and redshirted this past year. By behind the scenes reports from UCONN he is expected to explode this year. 3 of 4 ranked directly behind Dekker are gone as well the only one staying being Kris Dunn who has been injured his entire college career. So while Dekker has had a very good college career it is hard to call him elite. 

It isn't a Wisconsin thing if you look top 25 5* players since 2002 excluding the straight to NBA guys the majority, yes over 50% leave their home state. Much of this is due to the fact the blue bloods get a high quantity and lets be honest Kentucky and Kansas aren't producing alot of 5* players. But even beyond those blue blood schools alot of the highly ranked guys just simply leave their home state for whatever reason. Trust me the Illini have been in the same boat if not much worse.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 11:44 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


Dekker could have gone pro this year and he definitely would have been drafted. He's a three/four year player by choice.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 1:20 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



DWILL05 wrote:
 
Well to be fair Dekker, Koenig, and Pritzl are all far from elite. Yes I know Dekker was a 5* and would probably be considered elite but he was a small town Wisconsin kid who committed two years before he ever played college ball. Much like Meyers Leonard to Illinois. And well he is really looking like a 4 year college player hardly elite as 5* guys go. In fact the only guys rated ahead of him still in school are Alex Poythress who has been competing with about 5 5* guys at his positions and Rodney Purvis who left NCST and redshirted this past year.  So while Dekker has had a very good college career it is hard to call him elite. 


I love this logic.  Dekker is not an elite 5 star player because he stayed in college too long and has had a very good college career.  

That is the exact 5 star player I think every coach in America would take.  How many players do you think would be taken ahead of Sam Dekker from his class if they were drafted based on their college career alone?  5 maybe?

Seems like a perfect 5 star elite basketball player to me.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 9:58 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



DWILL05 wrote:
Well to be fair Dekker, Koenig, and Pritzl are all far from elite. Yes I know Dekker was a 5* and would probably be considered elite but he was a small town Wisconsin kid who committed two years before he ever played college ball. Much like Meyers Leonard to Illinois. And well he is really looking like a 4 year college player hardly elite as 5* guys go. In fact the only guys rated ahead of him still in school are Alex Poythress who has been competing with about 5 5* guys at his positions and Rodney Purvis who left NCST and redshirted this past year. By behind the scenes reports from UCONN he is expected to explode this year. 3 of 4 ranked directly behind Dekker are gone as well the only one staying being Kris Dunn who has been injured his entire college career. So while Dekker has had a very good college career it is hard to call him elite. 

It isn't a Wisconsin thing if you look top 25 5* players since 2002 excluding the straight to NBA guys the majority, yes over 50% leave their home state. Much of this is due to the fact the blue bloods get a high quantity and lets be honest Kentucky and Kansas aren't producing alot of 5* players. But even beyond those blue blood schools alot of the highly ranked guys just simply leave their home state for whatever reason. Trust me the Illini have been in the same boat if not much worse.
You just saw the beginning of the flowering of Dekker and Koenig in the last half of the year. You have to remember that Frank Kaminsky was on the team last year. He passed on the NBA draft this year. Dekker passed on the NBA draft this year. Koenig scored 11 points in the first half against Kentucky in the Final Four to keep us in the game and had several other games that showed his elite PG skills. He just happened to be behind 3 guys who were very good (starters) and had been in the program a couple years longer. Let's see how many All B1G teams Dekker, Koenig, Hayes and Happ and Pritzl make during their career. We can revisit that then. Frank, Mr. 3*, was a 1st team All B1G as a Junior. Is he Elite? He got some award for being the best player in the NCAA Western Regional this year. I think Traevon Jackson made the All-Regional team as well.

Wisconsin plays as a team. When there's a mismatch, they exploit it. If that mismatch was with Brust last year, Ben got the big stats that game. Hayes had a few dominant games as a true frosh in the B1G. I don't think anybody's going to average 25ppg at Wisconsin. The offense doesn't focus on one guy. The stats are well distributed within the rotation. It's an unselfish team with a few elite players. Stars and Stats are as far as your mind can dissect a player. That's too bad. Basketball is a beautiful game played in a lot of different styles. What is Elite to some isn't to others.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 10:06 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 





---------------------------------------------
--- Bendbadgersteve wrote:

Won't be any kid coming to Madison that's afraid of the classroom.  And any "package deal" B.S. will probably just set Bo off.

Don't know if any of that fits Diamond but, if so, he won't be here.

---------------------------------------------

I think people on this board seriously underestimate Bo when it comes to recruiting. Bo would take both Stone and Newman in a heartbeat. He's not going to waste time on a kid that is clear has other schools in mind. Newman has other schools that've been pursuing him longer and heavier. Bo's not going to waste time and seeds that won't bare fruit but he'd for sure take both kids if there was interest.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 10:15 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


Here's another reason that's rarely mentioned in terms of why recruits mostly stay close to home: their friends, girlfriends are at home. How many college buddies did you have that committed to a school because their girlfriend or best friends were going there? I had several college friends that transferred to different schools because their girlfriends/boyfriends were at a particular school and they were spending every weekend driving to see them.

I've heard it rumored that Uthoff transferred because his girlfriend transferred. I've also heard it rumored that potential NBA picks stayed in school because their girlfriend was still in school.

The point is there's tons of reasons why kids pick schools but all the connections they have to their home state (familial and otherwise) make it much more likely that they stay in state.

I think Wisconsin would be well served by having Diamond Stone come and play hoops with the current team during the summer as much as possible and develop a relationship with the guys. Our players have open gym all the time, get Stone here and put him on the same team as Koenig;-). That would help!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:17 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



DWILL05 wrote:
Well to be fair Dekker, Koenig, and Pritzl are all far from elite. Yes I know Dekker was a 5* and would probably be considered elite but he was a small town Wisconsin kid who committed two years before he ever played college ball. Much like Meyers Leonard to Illinois. And well he is really looking like a 4 year college player hardly elite as 5* guys go. In fact the only guys rated ahead of him still in school are Alex Poythress who has been competing with about 5 5* guys at his positions and Rodney Purvis who left NCST and redshirted this past year. By behind the scenes reports from UCONN he is expected to explode this year. 3 of 4 ranked directly behind Dekker are gone as well the only one staying being Kris Dunn who has been injured his entire college career. So while Dekker has had a very good college career it is hard to call him elite. 
Who are you to make a judgment about Sam Dekker being a four-year college player?  You acknowledged in a previous thread that you aren't a scout.  Why should anyone here value your opinion? He has every bit of an opportunity to be a late first round selection after this season.  Don't forget that there were whispers of him being a mid-first round pick before the season began.  Was that likely to happen had he declared at the conclusion of this past season?  Probably not.  However, the NBA knows the talent is there for Mr. Dekker.

With that being said, let me get this straight:  If a 5* product stays in college as long as Dekker has (whether that be three- or four-years), he was not an elite prospect?  Right...  Tell that to some of these former 5* prospects: Shannon Brown, Mustafa Shakur, Glen Davis, Demarcus Nelson, Arron Afflalo, Tyler Hansbrough, Mario Chalmers, Gerald Henderson, Ty Lawson, Sherron Collins, DuJuan Summers, Kyle Singler, Patrick Patterson, Chandler Parsons, Austin Daye, Corey Fisher, Craig Brackins, Austin Freeman, Kemba Walker, William Buford, Yancy Gates, Chris Singleton, Kenny Boynton, John Jenkins, Royce White, Jared Sullinger, Adreian Payne, Deshaun Thomas, Patric Young, James McAdoo, Nick Johnson, Branden Dawson, etc, etc.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 12:30 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


I think it was the other way around.  His girlfriend is from Ohio not Iowa.  McTampfrey basically recruited him off the UW roster.  
BigTenwatcher wrote: Here's another reason that's rarely mentioned in terms of why recruits mostly stay close to home: their friends, girlfriends are at home. How many college buddies did you have that committed to a school because their girlfriend or best friends were going there? I had several college friends that transferred to different schools because their girlfriends/boyfriends were at a particular school and they were spending every weekend driving to see them.

I've heard it rumored that Uthoff transferred because his girlfriend transferred. I've also heard it rumored that potential NBA picks stayed in school because their girlfriend was still in school.

The point is there's tons of reasons why kids pick schools but all the connections they have to their home state (familial and otherwise) make it much more likely that they stay in state.

I think Wisconsin would be well served by having Diamond Stone come and play hoops with the current team during the summer as much as possible and develop a relationship with the guys. Our players have open gym all the time, get Stone here and put him on the same team as Koenig;-). That would help!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 2:34 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



SaMOKEY wrote: I think it was the other way around.  His girlfriend is from Ohio not Iowa.  McTampfrey basically recruited him off the UW roster.  
BigTenwatcher wrote: Here's another reason that's rarely mentioned in terms of why recruits mostly stay close to home: their friends, girlfriends are at home. How many college buddies did you have that committed to a school because their girlfriend or best friends were going there? I had several college friends that transferred to different schools because their girlfriends/boyfriends were at a particular school and they were spending every weekend driving to see them.

I've heard it rumored that Uthoff transferred because his girlfriend transferred. I've also heard it rumored that potential NBA picks stayed in school because their girlfriend was still in school.

The point is there's tons of reasons why kids pick schools but all the connections they have to their home state (familial and otherwise) make it much more likely that they stay in state.

I think Wisconsin would be well served by having Diamond Stone come and play hoops with the current team during the summer as much as possible and develop a relationship with the guys. Our players have open gym all the time, get Stone here and put him on the same team as Koenig;-). That would help!
She did follow him to Iowa, though.  So they are a double example of his point, though not the way he thought.  Uthoff transfered to be closer to his Iowa people, she tranferred to the school he was now at.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/12/2014 1:29 AM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 



I'm not sure that's accurate

---------------------------------------------
--- komacki wrote:


SaMOKEY wrote: I think it was the other way around.  His girlfriend is from Ohio not Iowa.  McTampfrey basically recruited him off the UW roster.  
BigTenwatcher wrote: Here's another reason that's rarely mentioned in terms of why recruits mostly stay close to home: their friends, girlfriends are at home. How many college buddies did you have that committed to a school because their girlfriend or best friends were going there? I had several college friends that transferred to different schools because their girlfriends/boyfriends were at a particular school and they were spending every weekend driving to see them.

I've heard it rumored that Uthoff transferred because his girlfriend transferred. I've also heard it rumored that potential NBA picks stayed in school because their girlfriend was still in school.

The point is there's tons of reasons why kids pick schools but all the connections they have to their home state (familial and otherwise) make it much more likely that they stay in state.

I think Wisconsin would be well served by having Diamond Stone come and play hoops with the current team during the summer as much as possible and develop a relationship with the guys. Our players have open gym all the time, get Stone here and put him on the same team as Koenig;-). That would help!
She did follow him to Iowa, though.  So they are a double example of his point, though not the way he thought.  Uthoff transfered to be closer to his Iowa people, she tranferred to the school he was now at.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/13/2014 8:24 PM

Re: Diamond Stone visiting UCONN this weekend. 


"...Bo would take both Stone and Newman in a heartbeat. He's not going to waste time on a kid that is clear has other schools in mind..."

 

Bo likely wouldn't buckle to any demand that recruits come as a pair short of independent interest in each by the staff. 


Newman is neither interested nor holding an offer coming from UW.  Mutual exclusion.  Who knows why but we didn't even toss our hat in that ring?  Not that it matters but if he suddenly expressed an undying love for all things Badger he's still evaluated for fit and fitness independent of his friendship with Stone.


Maybe that already happened and Newman came up short somewhere.

Last edited 6/14/2014 6:17 AM by Bendbadgersteve

Reply | Quote