Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >

Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism

Posted: 1/25/2014 6:51 PM

Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


I think some people need to look themselves in the mirror and think about how they behave on a message board. Does Traevon Jackson make mistakes? Of course. And everybody should feel free to criticize those mistakes. But the level of visceral venom that exists on this message board, particularly on the in-game threads, has reached the unhealthy levels.

The basketball board with Jackson is basically the football board with Stave. 80% of the posts in the game thread consist of some form of "He's the worst player ever". Mistakes made by other players are blamed on him because of some imperfect thing he maybe did 10 seconds earlier. It got to the point with Stave that when he got injured there were people cheering! Is that where we are as a fan base? Rooting for our own players to fail?

Look at Traevon Jackson's advanced stats (if you pay for the subscription, which you should): http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin

It's pretty obvious why Bo plays Traevon as much as he does. He has twice the assist rate of Bronson Koenig or anybody else. He leads the team in drawing fouls. His offensive efficiency isn't at Josh Gasser levels, but you expect a primary playmaker to have a lower efficiency than a guy who is basically a spot-up shooter. Traevon's offensive efficiency isn't great, but for a guy with his usage rate it's basically average for Big Ten players. And Bo is willing to risk a slightly lower efficiency for having somebody who can attack the rim.

So feel free to criticize Traevon Jackson when he does something dumb or makes a mistake. But let's try to take the percentage of posts on the in-game threads calling him the worst/dumbest player ever to below 50%. Some of us would like to actually talk about something else going on in the game than how much Traevon Jackson sucks. And nobody, no matter how bad they are, deserves that kind of vitriol from their own fan base or any other. Show some respect.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 6:54 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


How many of those foul shots come at the end of the game when attempting to salt away a game vs. in the flow of the offense?

Context is important to stats as well.

(That's just one critique of your post and based on the in game threads, your as big of a trae homer as redforeman)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 6:56 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


Dekker receives just as much.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:03 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



badgeryem wrote: How many of those foul shots come at the end of the game when attempting to salt away a game vs. in the flow of the offense?

Context is important to stats as well.

(That's just one critique of your post and based on the in game threads, your as big of a trae homer as redforeman)


I'm a "trae homer"? LOL. Please go find a single example of me saying something overly positive about him on any game thread. If anything, you'll find more criticism from me than positive remarks. Particularly last season when everybody was going overboard with the Traevon hype I was telling people to calm down and not overreact to a few clutch shots late.

But there's a difference between calm criticism like that and saying that the team would be better off if he was cut, or blaming Traevon for turnovers by other players.

By the way, when 80% of posts on a game thread are how much Traevon Jackson sucks, why do people think they're adding something to the thread by saying Traevon Jackson sucks? I remember proposing this on a football thread: that we appoint a single person to say "That passed sucked" after every Stave incompletion. The problem with 20 people saying "That's the worst pass I've ever seen, we need to bench Stave" after every single incompletion is that it swamps every other conversation. There's simply nothing else that can get talked about on the game thread but how much Stave sucks. It's boring.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:03 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 




---------------------------------------------
--- Zemekis wrote:

Dekker receives just as much.

---------------------------------------------

To be fair it's like one person with every post he makes. Most people acknowledge his offensive strengths and that he has some defensive limitations, and has improved drastically on the boards.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:06 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 




---------------------------------------------
--- jeffwax1 wrote:


badgeryem wrote: How many of those foul shots come at the end of the game when attempting to salt away a game vs. in the flow of the offense?

Context is important to stats as well.

(That's just one critique of your post and based on the in game threads, your as big of a trae homer as redforeman)


I'm a "trae homer"? LOL. Please go find a single example of me saying something overly positive about him on any game thread. If anything, you'll find more criticism from me than positive remarks. Particularly last season when everybody was going overboard with the Traevon hype I was telling people to calm down and not overreact to a few clutch shots late.

But there's a difference between calm criticism like that and saying that the team would be better off if he was cut, or blaming Traevon for turnovers by other players.

By the way, when 80% of posts on a game thread are how much Traevon Jackson sucks, why do people think they're adding something to the thread by saying Traevon Jackson sucks? I remember proposing this on a football thread: that we appoint a single person to say "That passed sucked" after every Stave incompletion. The problem with 20 people saying "That's the worst pass I've ever seen, we need to bench Stave" after every single incompletion is that it swamps every other conversation. There's simply nothing else that can get talked about on the game thread but how much Stave sucks. It's boring.

---------------------------------------------
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Anyway I just read the in game thread today and didn't see anything that was personally vitriolic. I saw people complaining when he turned the ball over making dumb mistakes. And I saw some people granting that he played well in the end of the game.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:09 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


I think it needs to be said that Gasser's defense is vastly overrated. He's become a good offensive player but whether it has anything to do with his knee or not, his d is below average.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:14 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



badgeryem wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- jeffwax1 wrote:


badgeryem wrote: How many of those foul shots come at the end of the game when attempting to salt away a game vs. in the flow of the offense?

Context is important to stats as well.

(That's just one critique of your post and based on the in game threads, your as big of a trae homer as redforeman)


I'm a "trae homer"? LOL. Please go find a single example of me saying something overly positive about him on any game thread. If anything, you'll find more criticism from me than positive remarks. Particularly last season when everybody was going overboard with the Traevon hype I was telling people to calm down and not overreact to a few clutch shots late.

But there's a difference between calm criticism like that and saying that the team would be better off if he was cut, or blaming Traevon for turnovers by other players.

By the way, when 80% of posts on a game thread are how much Traevon Jackson sucks, why do people think they're adding something to the thread by saying Traevon Jackson sucks? I remember proposing this on a football thread: that we appoint a single person to say "That passed sucked" after every Stave incompletion. The problem with 20 people saying "That's the worst pass I've ever seen, we need to bench Stave" after every single incompletion is that it swamps every other conversation. There's simply nothing else that can get talked about on the game thread but how much Stave sucks. It's boring.

---------------------------------------------
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Anyway I just read the in game thread today and didn't see anything that was personally vitriolic. I saw people complaining when he turned the ball over making dumb mistakes. And I saw some people granting that he played well in the end of the game.



Here's what I got from basically a 4 page game thread today in a game that was unquestionably a really good result (this isn't all of the Trae criticism, just the highlights). I think we all know it's significantly worse if we go to a game that we lose:

------------------

All I can do is laugh when Jackson shoots

Jackson is flat out bad. I dont see how anyone can defend his play.

Wish Jackson was a senior. I really do.

Jackson just pisses me off. Geez He just had to try to score there didn't he

Jackson costs the team two more points. What an ignoramus.

Jackson is a selfish basketball player with a low bb iq. He does not get enough grief.

Jackson is worse than useless.

More mistakes by Jackson. He is really playing bad basketball.

Can we win this game despite the bone-headed plays by Jackson?


Another Jackson moment.
He made some big shots last year but lately he has been atrocious. I really hate to keep harping on one guy but when your PG play is crappy in collegiate ball your team usually is crappy too.

I've been withholding judgment on traevon, but this game it's just been too much. He's a momentum killer.

Jackson is the most selfish, least intelligent player I remember getting big minutes under Ryan.

Just horrible.

It looks to me like the guys are taking it on themselves to limit TJ's offensive touches.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:20 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



jeffwax1 wrote: I think some people need to look themselves in the mirror and think about how they behave on a message board. Does Traevon Jackson make mistakes? Of course. And everybody should feel free to criticize those mistakes. But the level of visceral venom that exists on this message board, particularly on the in-game threads, has reached the unhealthy levels.

The basketball board with Jackson is basically the football board with Stave. 80% of the posts in the game thread consist of some form of "He's the worst player ever". Mistakes made by other players are blamed on him because of some imperfect thing he maybe did 10 seconds earlier. It got to the point with Stave that when he got injured there were people cheering! Is that where we are as a fan base? Rooting for our own players to fail?

Look at Traevon Jackson's advanced stats (if you pay for the subscription, which you should): http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin

It's pretty obvious why Bo plays Traevon as much as he does. He has twice the assist rate of Bronson Koenig or anybody else. He leads the team in drawing fouls. His offensive efficiency isn't at Josh Gasser levels, but you expect a primary playmaker to have a lower efficiency than a guy who is basically a spot-up shooter. Traevon's offensive efficiency isn't great, but for a guy with his usage rate it's basically average for Big Ten players. And Bo is willing to risk a slightly lower efficiency for having somebody who can attack the rim.

So feel free to criticize Traevon Jackson when he does something dumb or makes a mistake. But let's try to take the percentage of posts on the in-game threads calling him the worst/dumbest player ever to below 50%. Some of us would like to actually talk about something else going on in the game than how much Traevon Jackson sucks. And nobody, no matter how bad they are, deserves that kind of vitriol from their own fan base or any other. Show some respect.
That's what makes Traevon Jackson a "sacred cow" on here.
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:21 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



Zemekis wrote: Dekker receives just as much.
Right because he is everyone's "sacrificial lamb" on the board.
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:22 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



I hardly think you can compare BK and TJ stats, especially assist to turnover, considering one plays twice as many minutes, ones a junior, and one has a leash as long as the last 3 pt guards combined. If Bo was willing to give BK half the chances he gives Jackson, you'd have a pretty damn good pt. guard running this team right now.
---------------------------------------------
--- jeffwax1 wrote:

I think some people need to look themselves in the mirror and think about how they behave on a message board. Does Traevon Jackson make mistakes? Of course. And everybody should feel free to criticize those mistakes. But the level of visceral venom that exists on this message board, particularly on the in-game threads, has reached the unhealthy levels.

The basketball board with Jackson is basically the football board with Stave. 80% of the posts in the game thread consist of some form of "He's the worst player ever". Mistakes made by other players are blamed on him because of some imperfect thing he maybe did 10 seconds earlier. It got to the point with Stave that when he got injured there were people cheering! Is that where we are as a fan base? Rooting for our own players to fail?

Look at Traevon Jackson's advanced stats (if you pay for the subscription, which you should): kenpom.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin

It's pretty obvious why Bo plays Traevon as much as he does. He has twice the assist rate of Bronson Koenig or anybody else. He leads the team in drawing fouls. His offensive efficiency isn't at Josh Gasser levels, but you expect a primary playmaker to have a lower efficiency than a guy who is basically a spot-up shooter. Traevon's offensive efficiency isn't great, but for a guy with his usage rate it's basically average for Big Ten players. And Bo is willing to risk a slightly lower efficiency for having somebody who can attack the rim.

So feel free to criticize Traevon Jackson when he does something dumb or makes a mistake. But let's try to take the percentage of posts on the in-game threads calling him the worst/dumbest player ever to below 50%. Some of us would like to actually talk about something else going on in the game than how much Traevon Jackson sucks. And nobody, no matter how bad they are, deserves that kind of vitriol from their own fan base or any other. Show some respect.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:24 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 




---------------------------------------------
--- redforeman62 wrote:


Zemekis wrote: Dekker receives just as much.
Right because he is everyone's "sacrificial lamb" on the board.

---------------------------------------------

You do a pretty good job of carrying that torch for the rest of the board
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:26 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


So his overall stats prove that he deserves the minutes he is getting, great.  But he is still very hard to watch most of the time and even when he is playing well, you're just waiting for him to make a boneheaded pass or decide to go 1 on 5 because he hasn't shot the ball for a stretch of time.  Everyone has a whipping boy, Bo has his (Dekker) & so does this board (Jackson).  Both for good reasons.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:29 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


Great post.  I continue to be amazed at how much "spew" there is on this board.  People should get a life, instead of profusely attempting to engage in oneupsmanship on the board.  Breaking their collective arms trying to pat themselves on the back for their 1000s of posts - when in reality a 100 or so posts is all they would need to state their point.

Some of us actually are looking for a little news and end up sifting through all this drivel to find a nugget or two.  A little collegiality would be greatly appreciated.

Remember it does no good to argue with a drunk or an idiot.  So if you find yourself in that position - just let it go.  You are not going to gain a thing by getting into a pissing match with these types of people.  Enough for now.
jeffwax1 wrote: I think some people need to look themselves in the mirror and think about how they behave on a message board. Does Traevon Jackson make mistakes? Of course. And everybody should feel free to criticize those mistakes. But the level of visceral venom that exists on this message board, particularly on the in-game threads, has reached the unhealthy levels.

The basketball board with Jackson is basically the football board with Stave. 80% of the posts in the game thread consist of some form of "He's the worst player ever". Mistakes made by other players are blamed on him because of some imperfect thing he maybe did 10 seconds earlier. It got to the point with Stave that when he got injured there were people cheering! Is that where we are as a fan base? Rooting for our own players to fail?

Look at Traevon Jackson's advanced stats (if you pay for the subscription, which you should): http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin

It's pretty obvious why Bo plays Traevon as much as he does. He has twice the assist rate of Bronson Koenig or anybody else. He leads the team in drawing fouls. His offensive efficiency isn't at Josh Gasser levels, but you expect a primary playmaker to have a lower efficiency than a guy who is basically a spot-up shooter. Traevon's offensive efficiency isn't great, but for a guy with his usage rate it's basically average for Big Ten players. And Bo is willing to risk a slightly lower efficiency for having somebody who can attack the rim.

So feel free to criticize Traevon Jackson when he does something dumb or makes a mistake. But let's try to take the percentage of posts on the in-game threads calling him the worst/dumbest player ever to below 50%. Some of us would like to actually talk about something else going on in the game than how much Traevon Jackson sucks. And nobody, no matter how bad they are, deserves that kind of vitriol from their own fan base or any other. Show some respect.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:29 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



MUnertl wrote: I think it needs to be said that Gasser's defense is vastly overrated. He's become a good offensive player but whether it has anything to do with his knee or not, his d is below average.
It's his knee - he was 1st team all B1G defender for a reason. He's getting better as he gains more confidence in the knee
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:30 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


acceptable comments are as follows:    he is playing bad basketball.       He's hurting the team   or  he refuses to pass in some situations.   or He tries to do too much   Traevon is definitely hard on the coach and the fans due to his wildly inconsistent play.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:34 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



redforeman62 wrote:
Zemekis wrote: Dekker receives just as much.
Right because he is everyone's "sacrificial lamb" on the board.
Your a bore and predictable.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:40 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



MUnertl wrote: I think it needs to be said that Gasser's defense is vastly overrated. He's become a good offensive player but whether it has anything to do with his knee or not, his d is below average.
Keep in mind Gasser consistently gets the toughest defensive draw in the backcourt and on the wing. Gasser also is an eager help defender.
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:46 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


Koenig will not replace Jackson until he becomes more of a factor on the offensive side and I really like Koenig, but he is a year away.  Right now they need Trae's offense and this means putting up with some iffy decisions. There were a lot of poor passing decisions today by a lot of different people. cool
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:56 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



redforeman62 wrote:
MUnertl wrote: I think it needs to be said that Gasser's defense is vastly overrated. He's become a good offensive player but whether it has anything to do with his knee or not, his d is below average.
Keep in mind Gasser consistently gets the toughest defensive draw in the backcourt and on the wing. Gasser also is an eager help defender.

He's also not close to 100%.  Lateral movement is pretty much the last thing to come back after an injury such as his.  it isn't really something he can help at this point.  Heck, I still can't believe he's able to play at the level he has this year.  Too many people are forgetting that we were MAYBE expecting him back half way through this year.  Instead, he started the year getting his usual minutes.  It's astounding...but it shows how darn tough the kid is.  For all of Jackson's flaws, he has the same toughness both physically but mentally as well.  

To be an athlete or leader in any capacity professionally you must be able to withstand criticism...which both Jackson and Dekker handle with grace.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 9:26 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


I think Jackson makes our offence a lot better, sure he makes mistakes but every player does. I also think the criticism is too harsh. For example at the end of the first half, I actually thought that was a good look for Jackson, its not his fault purdue ran the floor and scored.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 9:45 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



BdgerBdgerBdger wrote: I think Jackson makes our offence a lot better, sure he makes mistakes but every player does. I also think the criticism is too harsh. For example at the end of the first half, I actually thought that was a good look for Jackson, its not his fault purdue ran the floor and scored.
would have helped if Brust of Dekker had balanced the floor to protect vs what actually happened. Also, we are short-changing Purdue; it was a great play by them. Purdue is not MICH, but they are almost invincible down there for UW. Glad we won.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2014 9:47 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


If you don't like what people here on this board have to say about him just stay off the damn board!!!
Reply | Quote
  • rekim
  • Junior
  • 3529 posts this site

Posted: 1/25/2014 9:51 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



jeffwax1 wrote:
badgeryem wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- jeffwax1 wrote:


badgeryem wrote: How many of those foul shots come at the end of the game when attempting to salt away a game vs. in the flow of the offense?

Context is important to stats as well.

(That's just one critique of your post and based on the in game threads, your as big of a trae homer as redforeman)


I'm a "trae homer"? LOL. Please go find a single example of me saying something overly positive about him on any game thread. If anything, you'll find more criticism from me than positive remarks. Particularly last season when everybody was going overboard with the Traevon hype I was telling people to calm down and not overreact to a few clutch shots late.

But there's a difference between calm criticism like that and saying that the team would be better off if he was cut, or blaming Traevon for turnovers by other players.

By the way, when 80% of posts on a game thread are how much Traevon Jackson sucks, why do people think they're adding something to the thread by saying Traevon Jackson sucks? I remember proposing this on a football thread: that we appoint a single person to say "That passed sucked" after every Stave incompletion. The problem with 20 people saying "That's the worst pass I've ever seen, we need to bench Stave" after every single incompletion is that it swamps every other conversation. There's simply nothing else that can get talked about on the game thread but how much Stave sucks. It's boring.

---------------------------------------------
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Anyway I just read the in game thread today and didn't see anything that was personally vitriolic. I saw people complaining when he turned the ball over making dumb mistakes. And I saw some people granting that he played well in the end of the game.



Here's what I got from basically a 4 page game thread today in a game that was unquestionably a really good result (this isn't all of the Trae criticism, just the highlights). I think we all know it's significantly worse if we go to a game that we lose:

------------------

All I can do is laugh when Jackson shoots

Jackson is flat out bad. I dont see how anyone can defend his play.

Wish Jackson was a senior. I really do.

Jackson just pisses me off. Geez He just had to try to score there didn't he


Jackson costs the team two more points. What an ignoramus.

Jackson is a selfish basketball player with a low bb iq. He does not get enough grief.

Jackson is worse than useless.

More mistakes by Jackson. He is really playing bad basketball.

Can we win this game despite the bone-headed plays by Jackson?


Another Jackson moment.
He made some big shots last year but lately he has been atrocious. I really hate to keep harping on one guy but when your PG play is crappy in collegiate ball your team usually is crappy too.

I've been withholding judgment on traevon, but this game it's just been too much. He's a momentum killer.

Jackson is the most selfish, least intelligent player I remember getting big minutes under Ryan.

Just horrible.

It looks to me like the guys are taking it on themselves to limit TJ's offensive touches.


For the edification of Jeffwax let me explain my rationale in making the two bolded comments he picked out of a stream-of-consciousness thread:
The first comment was regarding TJ's shot at the end of the first half. He shot without looking for anyone else. He shot with too much time on the clock. Both were bull-headed and not-smart and led to a wasted possession and a positive possession for the opponent.
Ignorant is defined as "lacking awareness, stupid or unaware". An ignoramus is defined as an ignorant person.
I stand by the description, based on that play.

The second comment was mid-second half. IIRC TJ threw up another shot in a possession that lasted about five seconds. He did not act like a point guard who, by my expectations, should be setting up his teammates first.  At times TJ does that. But not often enough for me to believe he is the kind of point guard who can lead his team very far in the Tourney.
I can forgive his physical limitations but I have a hard time forgiving the mentality, or the mind-set that TJ plays with. I keep looking for signs of growth in that regard , but so far I have been disappointed.
Reply | Quote
  • newman21
  • Sophomore
  • 2078 posts this site

Posted: 1/25/2014 9:53 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



BdgerBdgerBdger wrote: I think Jackson makes our offence a lot better, sure he makes mistakes but every player does. I also think the criticism is too harsh. For example at the end of the first half, I actually thought that was a good look for Jackson, its not his fault purdue ran the floor and scored.
Jackson went too early. It was a stupid play.

Jackson makes us better and should get a lot of minutes. Koenig is a more pure point, but is a frosh and has a lot of work to do defensively. Jackson is so frustrating because the errors he makes are so glaring. He has possessions in which you know he will shoot as he crosses midcourt. He isn't a smooth ball-handler. Last year he had some of the worst passes ever seen by a regular Badger starter under Bo and that still shows up occasionally.

We are light on guys who will attack and Jackson does. He can be great in the clutch. He defends and he really competes.He is an improving shooter. We've won a lot of games with Traevon starting. His errors are the sort of errors one would hope that could be eliminated, which is why he can be so frustrating.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2014 9:56 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


Traevon Jackson is a maddening player to watch for a fan of his team. Today I was "mad as hell" at him for that play at the end of the first half and then he played really great basketball in the second half.  

Love him, and all the Badgers, but holy cow he gives me agita sometimes.  Is anybody else reminded of Freddie Owens and his suicide drives?

**

It takes two to miscommunicate effectively.
-turomon

Last edited 1/25/2014 9:58 PM by BigAppleBucky

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2014 9:58 PM

RE: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


I think Stave receives much more venom to be honest, and it's not close.
Reply | Quote
  • kthwlsn
  • Walk-On
  • 309 posts this site

Posted: 1/25/2014 10:45 PM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 




---------------------------------------------
--- badgeryem wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- jeffwax1 wrote:


badgeryem wrote: How many of those foul shots come at the end of the game when attempting to salt away a game vs. in the flow of the offense?

Context is important to stats as well.

(That's just one critique of your post and based on the in game threads, your as big of a trae homer as redforeman)


I'm a "trae homer"? LOL. Please go find a single example of me saying something overly positive about him on any game thread. If anything, you'll find more criticism from me than positive remarks. Particularly last season when everybody was going overboard with the Traevon hype I was telling people to calm down and not overreact to a few clutch shots late.

But there's a difference between calm criticism like that and saying that the team would be better off if he was cut, or blaming Traevon for turnovers by other players.

By the way, when 80% of posts on a game thread are how much Traevon Jackson sucks, why do people think they're adding something to the thread by saying Traevon Jackson sucks? I remember proposing this on a football thread: that we appoint a single person to say "That passed sucked" after every Stave incompletion. The problem with 20 people saying "That's the worst pass I've ever seen, we need to bench Stave" after every single incompletion is that it swamps every other conversation. There's simply nothing else that can get talked about on the game thread but how much Stave sucks. It's boring.

---------------------------------------------
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Anyway I just read the in game thread today and didn't see anything that was personally vitriolic. I saw people complaining when he turned the ball over making dumb mistakes. And I saw some people granting that he played well in the end of the game.

---------------------------------------------

You might be thinking of me, might not. Somebody said Trae's not as good as he thinks he is. I agreed with that statement but added that Trae's not as bad as many posters think he is. I also stated that the team is better WITH Trae than without him. Bo obviously agrees based on Trae's playing time.

Of course some posters think they know more about basketball than Bo. He's not a sacred cow and can obviously be criticized for some decisions he makes. But some people post like they'd lead the Badgers to more wins than our current head coach.

Trae may not be as good as he thinks he is but some posters don't know as much about basketball as they think they do. Not saying they don't know more than me (they very well might), just not as much as they think.
"Bucky stares into your soul, stealing your life force 35 seconds at a time." -photo caption from maizenbrew.com after 2013 UW-UM BTT game
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/26/2014 2:03 AM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 



jerdud59 wrote:
BdgerBdgerBdger wrote: I think Jackson makes our offence a lot better, sure he makes mistakes but every player does. I also think the criticism is too harsh. For example at the end of the first half, I actually thought that was a good look for Jackson, its not his fault purdue ran the floor and scored.
would have helped if Brust of Dekker had balanced the floor to protect vs what actually happened. Also, we are short-changing Purdue; it was a great play by them. Purdue is not MICH, but they are almost invincible down there for UW. Glad we won.
I re watched this play since there seemed to be a lot of noise surrounding Jackson's decision and what happened afterward.

Jackson made his move with the high ball screen from Frank at around 8.5 seconds. Frank's man over helped and Frank was open with around 7.5 sec. TJ could have made the pass while his momenteum was headed in the opposite direction before he committed to the drive. Frank would have likely ended up with a long three with his man closing out at around 6.5 second mark. Miss would mean a long rebound. TJ decided to take his man who he had a size advantage over to the rim. TJ got a decent shot up on the rim with around 6 seconds left. Was the a three a better shot than the one TJ got? Maybe, maybe not depending on the pass and close out. In conclusion it was not a great shot. Wasn't a terrible shot for that situation. 

The problem was really the breakdown guys rotating back. As the shot came off the rim Frank had a clean run at an offensive rebound as his man had left him. That left Dekker as the man who was in position to rotate back to defense. Sam was the deepest man at the FT line. Sam slowly back pedaled to the 3 pt line and watched the PU player secure the rebound and was turning for an outlet. Brust was on the wing the second deepest man to rotate back and his man blew by both Ben and Sam. Sam had still not turned to run to the other end and was sideways when getting blown by. Maybe the most amazing thing about watching this again was seeing Gasser at a full sprint from the baseline blowing by both Dekker and Brust trying to get back to save the basket. The one legged Gasser laid out making a diving attempt from behind to knock the ball away. 

If there is any doubt who is the heart and soul of this team that play should answer that question. 
" Bo Ryan doesn't specialize in either offense or defense, just excellence."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2014 2:19 AM

Re: Toxic Traevon Jackson Criticism 


You lost me at "think about how they behave on a message board."

As if an anonymous compilation of text has the ability to affect anything beyond the thoughts of those who read said text.

Jacksons not great, he isn't the worst either, get over it. It happens to be criticism you don't agree with. Who goes around telling people that they are misbehaving somehow because they have differing views?

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >