Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Is Wisconsin football being over looked!

Posted: 8/16/2014 7:48 PM

Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


BA once said that UW would get their heart and sole from Wisconsin and their speed from else where.
Why are we leaving so many players in the leech, will the HS coaches turn a deaf ear to UW in the future.
Looks like Women's BB coach type actions.
We have talent but they may not get the stars needed to be recruited,as a student having my parents raise me correctly I would want to go where I'm wanted and not thought of as an after thought.
I don't see UW giving the instate kids a proper chance.
Build a relationship before you kill it.
Iowa has 7 instate recruits and that's less stars than Wisconsin has.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2014 8:22 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Not every year is a great year for talent, this happens to be one of them.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/16/2014 9:38 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


I looked at the numbers in this thread from last month.  Since then Scout has updated their rankings and the state now has one 4* and twelve 3*, which is around the average for how many 3-5 star prospects the state produces each year.  So it may not be as down as originally thought.  However...
1.  It's not how Scout has them evaluated, it's how the staff does.  (And what type of player the staff is looking for.)
2.  Alvarez's quote was referring to the fact that the state is good at producing big guys that make good lineman but it isn't great at producing the "skill position" guys.  Take a look at the prospect listing for the 2015 class.  See any lineman from the state other than Dietzen that committed to a P5 school?
3.  If the staff has a Wisconsin kid high on their list, get him.  If the staff has a kid below guys from California, Michigan, and New Jersey...  Get the best players you can.  Get good Wisconsin players and good out-of-state players.  Don't intentionally go after worse players just because they are in-state.

"Why are we leaving so many players in the leech?"  Every year there's players that think they could or should have gotten that letter from Wisconsin.  Some will walk on.  Some will look elsewhere.  No different from any other year.

"We have talent but they may not get the stars needed to be recruited..."  STARS DON'T MATTER.  STAFF EVALUATIONS DO.  If you have four stars and the staff declines to pursue you then you don't fit what they want.  If you have two stars the staff may see something they like and offer you.  Stars do not determine offers.  Talent, drive, intangibles, etc... determine stars.  They also determine offers.  But those are independent processes.

"...I would want to go where I'm wanted and not thought of as an after thought."  Hopefully your parents also taught you to critically evaluate your strengths and weaknesses and acknowledge that sometimes you may not make the cut for something.  It would then be your decision to pick the lesser option, who wants you, or to improve your weaknesses so that the better option reconsiders.

"I don't see UW giving the instate kids a proper chance.  Build a relationship before you kill it."  "Bully."  Teddy Roosevelt

"Iowa has 7 instate recruits and that's less stars than Wisconsin has."  That's irrelevant.

edit to add:  Also, the increase in number of 3* guys indicates that a bunch of lower-rated players made good improvement since the last time they were rated.  This suggests that the staff might now evaluate them as worthy of an offer.  However, almost all of them are committed to non-P5 schools.  So while the coaches might reevaluate them now as worthy of a scholarship, they already made their decisions.  If they want to submit new film in the hope of an offer coming now, go for it.  But at the same time the staff has been focused on other players that already matched what they wanted, players who are also working at getting better the same as the in-state players are.

Last edited 8/16/2014 9:50 PM by komacki

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 12:07 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Here is a better question.  Who in the 2015 instate class would you rather have in place of who is verbaled now at their same position?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 12:09 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Great post, komacki. One more thing most (not all) of these Wisconsin HS players Badger coaches are very familiar with. They've seen them in person, they had them in camps, they've been to their games, talked to their coaches. In short, they have a very good idea what these kids are capable of.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 12:56 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Nicolet HS is not going to field a Varsity squad this year.    There are other reports of lower numbers in the suburbs.    Too many parents worried about little Johnny getting. hurt.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:17 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



BadgerFan811 wrote: Here is a better question.  Who in the 2015 instate class would you rather have in place of who is verbaled now at their same position?
This... bottom line, this class isn't that great.

Since Alvarez showed up, we bat like 90% in Wisconsin... yet people continually bitch about the other 10%.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:24 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Of the committed 2 star Wisconsin athletes not go to UW, none are going to major programs. 

Link

All the other major programs have evaluated Wisconsin the same way this year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:41 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



arrogantprick wrote: Of the committed 2 star Wisconsin athletes not go to UW, none are going to major programs. 
Do you mean "committed three star" instead of 2 star?

Assuming you do, I absolutely agree that other high-major schools declined to invest time into this Wisconsin class.  But it wouldn't surprise me if the Badgers picked up a couple more in-state commits before signing day, either from an uncommitted player or flipping a committed one that was a little low on the staff's initial target lists.

A little off topic, but NIU is not a terrible alternative for players that didn't get a Wisconsin offer.  The Badgers have long benefited from not having another D1 program in the state, and NIU seems to be stepping into that void - five commits from Wisconsin kids so far in the 2015 class.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that is a pretty recent development.

Last edited 8/17/2014 1:42 PM by komacki

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:42 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


GA hasn't missed on an instater this year but you have to admit there have been some defections and a far lower batting average in the most recent classes. 

2013 Turned down badger offers
A.J. Natter, Milton
R.J. Shelton, Beaver Dam
Marwin Evans, Oak Creek/Highland CC

2014 Turned down badger offers
Gaelin Elmore, Somerset
Craig Evans, Sun Prairie
Joe Keels, Kenosha Bradford/Highland CC
2014 Offered but encountered other personal problems
Dominic Cizauskas, Mukwonago

The retention rate with instaters for some reason is not looking as good as it was in the past (Hubley-medical hardship and some personal issues with some 2014 signees).

EricTheeRed wrote:
BadgerFan811 wrote: Here is a better question.  Who in the 2015 instate class would you rather have in place of who is verbaled now at their same position?
This... bottom line, this class isn't that great.

Since Alvarez showed up, we bat like 90% in Wisconsin... yet people continually bitch about the other 10%.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:01 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



komacki wrote:
arrogantprick wrote: Of the committed 2 star Wisconsin athletes not go to UW, none are going to major programs. 
Do you mean "committed three star" instead of 2 star?
I meant 2 star and above.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:19 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



arrogantprick wrote:
komacki wrote:
arrogantprick wrote: Of the committed 2 star Wisconsin athletes not go to UW, none are going to major programs. 
Do you mean "committed three star" instead of 2 star?
I meant 2 star and above.
Gotcha.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:25 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


We will just have to see where this road takes us, but it won't set well w high school football coaches in Wisconsin.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:26 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Someone has to throw out names of WI players that were offered by UW but went elsewhere, as if the Staff is lacking in their ability to evaluate in-state talent.  (It should be fairly clear now that the current staff are good at evaluated unrecognized, underrated talent.  This is how they built USU into a team capable of playing and nearly beating the likes of Auburn, Oklahoma, UW, etc.)  When one looks closely into a list such as this, it is clear that the staff didn't lose out on a majority of these players.

2013 Turned down badger offers
A.J. Natter, Milton (didn't like BB)

R.J. Shelton, Beaver Dam (He's one that got away inasmuch as BB pulled the same sh*t he tried on Melvin Gordon.  i.e., BB offered him as safety, he wanted to be rb.)

Marwin Evans, Oak Creek/Highland CC (didn't have the grades to get into UW after H.S. He wasn't even recruited by BB.  Andersen recruited him as a JC recruit, and guess what, he didn't have the grades to get in).

2014 Turned down badger offers
Gaelin Elmore, Somerset (In the end, he wasn't coming to UW due to familial and social relations- despite what has been termed lukewarm interaction by the current staff).

Craig Evans, Sun Prairie (had every chance in the world to come to UW but didn't get it done in classroom)  Is the staff responsible for a player's desire to perform in the classroom too?

Joe Keels, Kenosha Bradford/Highland CC (UW parted ways with him after his OV.  His host reported to the staff that he would be a toxin to the team spirit- even now, until there was some injuries, it was unlikely for him to crack the 2-deep at Nebraska)

Dominic Cizauskas, Mukwonago (Everyone talks about not letting UW become like some teams that are disparaged as "Thug U."  I am glad this shitbag is not on the team period.)

So the question with your list is which of these players actually turned down the UW offer.  Natter didn't want to play for Bielema and the kid kept his word to Nebraska when Andersen came on board.  I believe we would've had a better shot if the HC was Andersen when Natter was initially recruited.  Shelton was a true loss inasmuch as he was on the field as a true freshman.  During his recruitment (or lack thereof by BB), the kid became bitter by the way he was treated by the previous staff.  This was clear in many of the public statements he made.  By the time, Andersen came onboard the kid was East Lansing bound. Outside of these two, and the obvious reasons why Elmore chose Minnie, the rest of these WI players took themselves out of the UW offer by "their actions."  To what extent, is the Staff responsible for letting them get away?  I would say none.


 GA hasn't missed on an instater this year but you have to admit there have been some defections and a far lower batting average in the most recent classes. 

2013 Turned down badger offers
A.J. Natter, Milton (didn't like BB)
R.J. Shelton, Beaver Dam (BB offered him as safety, he wanted to be rb
Marwin Evans, Oak Creek/Highland CC

2014 Turned down badger offers
Gaelin Elmore, Somerset
Craig Evans, Sun Prairie
Joe Keels, Kenosha Bradford/Highland CC
2014 Offered but encountered other personal problems
Dominic Cizauskas, Mukwonago

The retention rate with instaters for some reason is not looking as good as it was in the past (Hubley-medical hardship and some personal issues with some 2014 signees).

EricTheeRed wrote:
BadgerFan811 wrote: Here is a better question.  Who in the 2015 instate class would you rather have in place of who is verbaled now at their same position?
This... bottom line, this class isn't that great.

Since Alvarez showed up, we bat like 90% in Wisconsin... yet people continually bitch about the other 10%.

Last edited 8/17/2014 2:34 PM by Intlbadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:35 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



bigmac1973 wrote: We will just have to see where this road takes us, but it won't set well w high school football coaches in Wisconsin.
Maybe the kids, the coaches, and the programs should put on a little better show during their junior years.

Last edited 8/17/2014 2:36 PM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:37 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Thank for supplying your causative attributions. Sources?????  Some do not reflect the same information I read.

The only points that I addressed was we are far from a 90% batting average of instate offers and retention leaves something to be desired.

Saw Barry at Arrowhead Friday and he definitely placed a high value on keeping instaters in red and white.  He probably did have 90% of his offers accepted.  Hope we can improve in our future efforts (Bredeson).
Intlbadger wrote: Someone has to throw out names of WI players that were offered by UW but went elsewhere, as if the Staff is lacking in their ability to evaluate in-state talent.  (It should be fairly clear now that the current staff are good at evaluated unrecognized, underrated talent.  This is how they built USU into a team capable of playing and nearly beating the likes of Auburn, Oklahoma, UW, etc.)  When one looks closely into a list such as this, it is clear that the staff didn't lose out on a majority of these players.

2013 Turned down badger offers
A.J. Natter, Milton (didn't like BB)

R.J. Shelton, Beaver Dam (He's one that got away inasmuch as BB pulled the same sh*t he tried on Melvin Gordon.  i.e., BB offered him as safety, he wanted to be rb.)

Marwin Evans, Oak Creek/Highland CC (didn't have the grades to get into UW after H.S. He wasn't even recruited by BB.  Andersen recruited him as a JC recruit, and guess what, he didn't have the grades to get in).

2014 Turned down badger offers
Gaelin Elmore, Somerset (In the end, he wasn't coming to UW due to familial and social relations- despite what has been termed lukewarm interaction by the current staff).

Craig Evans, Sun Prairie (had every chance in the world to come to UW but didn't get it done in classroom)  Is the staff responsible for a player's desire to perform in the classroom too?

Joe Keels, Kenosha Bradford/Highland CC (UW parted ways with him after his OV.  His host reported to the staff that he would be a toxin to the team spirit- even now, until there was some injuries, it was unlikely for him to crack the 2-deep at Nebraska)

Dominic Cizauskas, Mukwonago (Everyone talks about not letting UW become like some teams that are disparaged as "Thug U."  I am glad this shitbag is not on the team period.)

So the question with your list is which of these players actually turned down the UW offer.  Natter didn't want to play for Bielema and the kid kept his word to Nebraska when Andersen came on board.  I believe we would've had a better shot if the HC was Andersen when Natter was initially recruited.  Shelton was a true loss inasmuch as he was on the field as a true freshman.  During his recruitment (or lack thereof by BB), the kid became bitter by the way he was treated by the previous staff.  This was clear in many of the public statements he made.  By the time, Andersen came onboard the kid was East Lansing bound. Outside of these two, and the obvious reasons why Elmore chose Minnie, the rest of these WI players took themselves out of the UW offer by "their actions."  To what extent, is the Staff responsible for letting them get away?  I would say none.


 GA hasn't missed on an instater this year but you have to admit there have been some defections and a far lower batting average in the most recent classes. 

2013 Turned down badger offers
A.J. Natter, Milton (didn't like BB)
R.J. Shelton, Beaver Dam (BB offered him as safety, he wanted to be rb
Marwin Evans, Oak Creek/Highland CC

2014 Turned down badger offers
Gaelin Elmore, Somerset
Craig Evans, Sun Prairie
Joe Keels, Kenosha Bradford/Highland CC
2014 Offered but encountered other personal problems
Dominic Cizauskas, Mukwonago

The retention rate with instaters for some reason is not looking as good as it was in the past (Hubley-medical hardship and some personal issues with some 2014 signees).

EricTheeRed wrote:
BadgerFan811 wrote: Here is a better question.  Who in the 2015 instate class would you rather have in place of who is verbaled now at their same position?
This... bottom line, this class isn't that great.

Since Alvarez showed up, we bat like 90% in Wisconsin... yet people continually bitch about the other 10%.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:02 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


The Nicolet story is a trend to watch closely.  They are a bellwether school in many ways and can be expected to command mindshare in a lot of circles.  Definitely makes the OP here irrelevant as recruiting becomes increasingly difficult when the local pipeline starts drying up.
BadgerGrove wrote: Nicolet HS is not going to field a Varsity squad this year.    There are other reports of lower numbers in the suburbs.    Too many parents worried about little Johnny getting. hurt.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:07 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



NewerBreed wrote: Thank for supplying your causative attributions. Sources?????  Some do not reflect the same information I read.

The only points that I addressed was we are far from a 90% batting average of instate offers and retention leaves something to be desired.

Saw Barry at Arrowhead Friday and he definitely placed a high value on keeping instaters in red and white.  He probably did have 90% of his offers accepted.  Hope we can improve in our future efforts (Bredeson).
The fact that you classified Evans & Keels as turning down Badger offers and that you even mentioned Cizauskas in this thread makes it pretty clear your the one whose "sources" should be checked. 



Engage the good posters, ignore the bad, report as inappropriate the problems. Message board rules. Thanks.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:16 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



TheNewRed wrote: The Nicolet story is a trend to watch closely.  They are a bellwether school in many ways and can be expected to command mindshare in a lot of circles.  Definitely makes the OP here irrelevant as recruiting becomes increasingly difficult when the local pipeline starts drying up.
BadgerGrove wrote: Nicolet HS is not going to field a Varsity squad this year.    There are other reports of lower numbers in the suburbs.    Too many parents worried about little Johnny getting. hurt.
Not sure how in the world you can call Nicolet a bell-weather school.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:19 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



bigmac1973 wrote: We will just have to see where this road takes us, but it won't set well w high school football coaches in Wisconsin.
Well, back in the Morton years, perhaps the state HS coaches liked the UW staff better? I've lived my whole life in the state, played HS football & am now coaching. I'd like nothing more than to see instate kids have success at my alma mater. But offering & bringing in scholarships to kids who they aren't convinced can come in & be successful at this level is counterproductive to that wish. A winning UW program with a smaller number of Wisconsin kids is ultimately better for everyone than a losing program with more. 

Seems to me, the level of HS talent in the state has on the whole, risen over the last few decades, compared to when UW was poor. It's a destination the very rare top level consider & usually end up at where they might not have before. And it's a place where most of the rest dream of playing for.

Engage the good posters, ignore the bad, report as inappropriate the problems. Message board rules. Thanks.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:27 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Academically and socially.  Football and athletics are always secondary Unknown.  If Nicolet is having problems fielding football, I think that speaks very loudly to a sense priorities which will be listened to at places like Arrowhead, Homestead, the Brookfields, etc.  I think BadgerGove nails one of the primary reasons for that.  Football is increasingly being viewed as too dangerous. 
UnknownBadger wrote:
TheNewRed wrote: The Nicolet story is a trend to watch closely.  They are a bellwether school in many ways and can be expected to command mindshare in a lot of circles.  Definitely makes the OP here irrelevant as recruiting becomes increasingly difficult when the local pipeline starts drying up.
BadgerGrove wrote: Nicolet HS is not going to field a Varsity squad this year.    There are other reports of lower numbers in the suburbs.    Too many parents worried about little Johnny getting. hurt.
Not sure how in the world you can call Nicolet a bell-weather school.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:49 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


The Milwaukee area has never been big into the sport of football.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:08 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


No kidding.
Sheesh, no better example of not being able to keep everyone happy.   Always something...boy do we need games to start so we can start complaining about the QB decision, lightweight D, and kicker from another country.  Well, unless they win.

multimed wrote:
NewerBreed wrote: Thank for supplying your causative attributions. Sources?????  Some do not reflect the same information I read.

The only points that I addressed was we are far from a 90% batting average of instate offers and retention leaves something to be desired.

Saw Barry at Arrowhead Friday and he definitely placed a high value on keeping instaters in red and white.  He probably did have 90% of his offers accepted.  Hope we can improve in our future efforts (Bredeson).
The fact that you classified Evans & Keels as turning down Badger offers and that you even mentioned Cizauskas in this thread makes it pretty clear your the one whose "sources" should be checked. 


Reply | Quote
  • travrest
  • Freshman
  • 1586 posts this site

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:18 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



TheNewRed wrote: Academically and socially.  Football and athletics are always secondary Unknown.  If Nicolet is having problems fielding football, I think that speaks very loudly to a sense priorities which will be listened to at places like Arrowhead, Homestead, the Brookfields, etc.  I think BadgerGove nails one of the primary reasons for that.  Football is increasingly being viewed as too dangerous. 
UnknownBadger wrote:
TheNewRed wrote: The Nicolet story is a trend to watch closely.  They are a bellwether school in many ways and can be expected to command mindshare in a lot of circles.  Definitely makes the OP here irrelevant as recruiting becomes increasingly difficult when the local pipeline starts drying up.
BadgerGrove wrote: Nicolet HS is not going to field a Varsity squad this year.    There are other reports of lower numbers in the suburbs.    Too many parents worried about little Johnny getting. hurt.
Not sure how in the world you can call Nicolet a bell-weather school.
If everyone is worried about getting hurt in football, then where will the future football players come from? If not from Wisconsin, then maybe in Ohio or Florida, or where? There are plenty of high school football players there. 

Somewhere, they will always play high school football. Even if all the kids in this state shy away from football to play other sports, only to spend their time watching the Packers on Sunday, they will still be playing high school football somewhere else. And they will be thinking that their high school and college teams are very important  to them. Their pro teams are for entertainment, but to go out for high school football and try to get a scholarship- thats the deal.

I guess we will simply have to recruit those kids from places where football isn't too dangerous to them, and where its a great big deal to play high school football. All too many in-state kids, who have the size and abiliity to play high school football here, decline to go out, or don't do the weight training required to go with it, and actually  mock those who actually do go out for the team.  And then they religiously watch the pay for play players on Sunday.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:20 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Not 90% offer acceptance in recent recruiting efforts.

Jake Stengel is still on the team.  Getting attributions correct will lead to less questioning (healthy messageboard skepticism).


nominate | report

posted: 7/21/2014 9:13 pm

re: players no longer on 2014 roster 


all of this concern is unfounded, albeit leaves uw thin at some spots.  when the attrition is looked at closely, a different picture emerges than the one implied in this thread.  i have complied a list of players that have left on andersen’s watch and the known reasons why. for example:

players on 2012 roster that left prior to or during the 2013 season/ 2013 signees that left

jake meador (ol, 2012 recruit)

reggie mitchell (db, 2012 recruit) - left during summer workouts and transferred to pitt

danny o’brien (qb, senior) – after spring sessions knew he wouldn’t play, transferred to div-2 school

clay rust (qb, soph, walk-on) – left program

chase knox (qb, soph, walk-on) – left program

jon budmayr (qb, junior) – retired due to injuries

ross barker (wr, soph, walk-on) – left program

david gilbert (dl, sr) – left program due to scheme change, transferred to miami (didn’t start there)

derek hasanoglu (wr, soph, walk-on) – left program

Jake Stengel (WR, soph, walk-on) – left program


multimed wrote:
NewerBreed wrote: Thank for supplying your causative attributions. Sources?????  Some do not reflect the same information I read.

The only points that I addressed was we are far from a 90% batting average of instate offers and retention leaves something to be desired.

Saw Barry at Arrowhead Friday and he definitely placed a high value on keeping instaters in red and white.  He probably did have 90% of his offers accepted.  Hope we can improve in our future efforts (Bredeson).
The fact that you classified Evans & Keels as turning down Badger offers and that you even mentioned Cizauskas in this thread makes it pretty clear your the one whose "sources" should be checked. 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:52 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Thank you everyone I just was wondering on the state of football in our home state.
My question is are the lines of communication still very open if a HS coach sees a player coming through that could warrant a look?
Scout and every other site may not give a player from a small school a look because they don't have the ties to those sites. As with AAU BB it's the coaches receiving some sort of stipend for giving access to their players.
Small town Wisconsin or for anywhere for that matter, don't have the we're withal to pursue these avenues.
At $500 dollars a season and still teaching do these coaches feel the need to go above and beyond,given the state of conflict in this state?
We don't pay like other places for coaches.
But thanks again.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:56 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



NewerBreed wrote: Thank for supplying your causative attributions. Sources?????  Some do not reflect the same information I read.

The only points that I addressed was we are far from a 90% batting average of instate offers and retention leaves something to be desired.

Saw Barry at Arrowhead Friday and he definitely placed a high value on keeping instaters in red and white.  He probably did have 90% of his offers accepted.  Hope we can improve in our future efforts (Bredeson).
Intlbadger wrote: Someone has to throw out names of WI players that were offered by UW but went elsewhere, as if the Staff is lacking in their ability to evaluate in-state talent.  (It should be fairly clear now that the current staff are good at evaluated unrecognized, underrated talent.  This is how they built USU into a team capable of playing and nearly beating the likes of Auburn, Oklahoma, UW, etc.)  When one looks closely into a list such as this, it is clear that the staff didn't lose out on a majority of these players.

2013 Turned down badger offers
A.J. Natter, Milton (didn't like BB)

R.J. Shelton, Beaver Dam (He's one that got away inasmuch as BB pulled the same sh*t he tried on Melvin Gordon.  i.e., BB offered him as safety, he wanted to be rb.)

Marwin Evans, Oak Creek/Highland CC (didn't have the grades to get into UW after H.S. He wasn't even recruited by BB.  Andersen recruited him as a JC recruit, and guess what, he didn't have the grades to get in).

2014 Turned down badger offers
Gaelin Elmore, Somerset (In the end, he wasn't coming to UW due to familial and social relations- despite what has been termed lukewarm interaction by the current staff).

Craig Evans, Sun Prairie (had every chance in the world to come to UW but didn't get it done in classroom)  Is the staff responsible for a player's desire to perform in the classroom too?

Joe Keels, Kenosha Bradford/Highland CC (UW parted ways with him after his OV.  His host reported to the staff that he would be a toxin to the team spirit- even now, until there was some injuries, it was unlikely for him to crack the 2-deep at Nebraska)

Dominic Cizauskas, Mukwonago (Everyone talks about not letting UW become like some teams that are disparaged as "Thug U."  I am glad this shitbag is not on the team period.)

So the question with your list is which of these players actually turned down the UW offer.  Natter didn't want to play for Bielema and the kid kept his word to Nebraska when Andersen came on board.  I believe we would've had a better shot if the HC was Andersen when Natter was initially recruited.  Shelton was a true loss inasmuch as he was on the field as a true freshman.  During his recruitment (or lack thereof by BB), the kid became bitter by the way he was treated by the previous staff.  This was clear in many of the public statements he made.  By the time, Andersen came onboard the kid was East Lansing bound. Outside of these two, and the obvious reasons why Elmore chose Minnie, the rest of these WI players took themselves out of the UW offer by "their actions."  To what extent, is the Staff responsible for letting them get away?  I would say none.


 GA hasn't missed on an instater this year but you have to admit there have been some defections and a far lower batting average in the most recent classes. 

2013 Turned down badger offers
A.J. Natter, Milton (didn't like BB)
R.J. Shelton, Beaver Dam (BB offered him as safety, he wanted to be rb
Marwin Evans, Oak Creek/Highland CC

2014 Turned down badger offers
Gaelin Elmore, Somerset
Craig Evans, Sun Prairie
Joe Keels, Kenosha Bradford/Highland CC
2014 Offered but encountered other personal problems
Dominic Cizauskas, Mukwonago

The retention rate with instaters for some reason is not looking as good as it was in the past (Hubley-medical hardship and some personal issues with some 2014 signees).

EricTheeRed wrote:
BadgerFan811 wrote: Here is a better question.  Who in the 2015 instate class would you rather have in place of who is verbaled now at their same position?
This... bottom line, this class isn't that great.

Since Alvarez showed up, we bat like 90% in Wisconsin... yet people continually bitch about the other 10%.
The aforementioned descriptions are on the mark.
"Nobody has defended (Ray) Rice. TGP and PH are trying to perpetuate a myth. They don't have a reading comprehension problem. They are simply idiots." - Kowitzc on 7/31/14 during a debate about domestic violence.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:58 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


OK. I trust you!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 6:15 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 


Things have come back I think we are retaining more instate players than years past, ie. John Anderson, jerry Taggie and the many more that want to play for a winner.
We have a winner and the kids watch and want to be a part of it.
We lose less those we lose are mostly grades not wanting.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 6:55 PM

Re: Is Wisconsin football being over looked! 



potrykus wrote:


Craig Evans, Sun Prairie (had every chance in the world to come to UW but didn't get it done in classroom)  Is the staff responsible for a player's desire to perform in the classroom too?


The aforementioned descriptions are on the mark.
Not that I would ever doubt you but can anyone produce one piece of evidence that Evans was not going to be admitted to UW?  Wisconsin .  Wisconsin allowed Chris Jones to sign a letter of intent and only later determined that he was not going to be allowed in to UW.  Was Evans so far gone that the staff knew back in February that nothing he could do would ever make him eligible to attend UW.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >