Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Not so firm verbals?

Posted: 6/27/2014 2:42 PM

Not so firm verbals? 


Anyone else get the feeling we may have more than the usual amount of softer verbals? I won't say "Soft" verbals , because I don't recall any specific recruits who have publicly made it known that they were a "Soft" verbal. However, because of how we've had some very quick commits after offers and some from recruits with very few offers, I wonder how many of them may be "not so terribly firm".  I wonder how many are thinking - "I might as well lock in this pretty good WI offer, and use it to help pull in more offers and keep looking around for a better offer with no risk?

Am I over worrying or do others see more potential for that this cycle with the way some recruits have committed?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/27/2014 2:52 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


Unless you know something (and most here - including myself - don't) that supports this concern then yes, you are making up potential problems and over-worrying.  Could it happen?  Sure.  But we have exactly as much evidence (none, as far as I know) that commitments to this staff are more solid than to past staffs.

Not saying you can't talk about it on a message board, though.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 3:00 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


No need to worry until it happens.  It's so specific to the individual that I don't think you gain much by speculating.  I do think we have a bunch of commits who will likely get more interest from more schools, many of which might be closer to home.  That's always a risk.  But we've always got the "We believed in you first" card, and it sometimes surprises me how valuable that can be with players.
Reply | Quote
  • travrest
  • Freshman
  • 1593 posts this site

Posted: 6/27/2014 4:43 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


Judging from nothing, although I'm decent at reading the tea leaves, I say there is not a whole lot to be worried about. These kids seem to want to come here.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 6:19 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


The 2015 class will be no different than the 2014 or 2013 or 2012.......classes.

Some will leave.  Others will arrive.  

Worried?  Not me.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 7:20 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


'Not so terribly firm'....yikes.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/27/2014 10:32 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 



badgerpaw wrote: The 2015 class will be no different than the 2014 or 2013 or 2012.......classes.

Some will leave.  Others will arrive.  

Worried?  Not me.
About a third will start, another third will contribute and the final third will see the field only at the end of games or never.  Same as always.

**

It takes two to miscommunicate effectively.
-turomon

Last edited 6/27/2014 10:33 PM by BigAppleBucky

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/28/2014 7:53 AM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 



BigAppleBucky wrote:
badgerpaw wrote: The 2015 class will be no different than the 2014 or 2013 or 2012.......classes.

Some will leave.  Others will arrive.  

Worried?  Not me.
About a third will start, another third will contribute and the final third will see the field only at the end of games or never.  Same as always.

You mean after the final second has ticked off the clock and they're making they're way back to the locker room.biggrin
"Never trust anyone with more ears than teeth."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/28/2014 1:08 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


Thanks for the feedback - all. I guess it worries me when I see kids commit really quickly and even more so, when they do that and they don't have many offers yet.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/28/2014 2:25 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 



BigAppleBucky wrote:
badgerpaw wrote: The 2015 class will be no different than the 2014 or 2013 or 2012.......classes.

Some will leave.  Others will arrive.  

Worried?  Not me.
About a third will start, another third will contribute and the final third will see the field only at the end of games or never.  Same as always.
That's just math. Will those starters be good or just average. Will they win 10 games or lose 10. 11 guys HAVE to play but they can still suck. That stat is drivel. Now if you tell me the top third make all BIG you have something.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:56 AM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 



911sfan wrote:
BigAppleBucky wrote:
badgerpaw wrote: The 2015 class will be no different than the 2014 or 2013 or 2012.......classes.

Some will leave.  Others will arrive.  

Worried?  Not me.
About a third will start, another third will contribute and the final third will see the field only at the end of games or never.  Same as always.
That's just math. Will those starters be good or just average. Will they win 10 games or lose 10. 11 guys HAVE to play but they can still suck. That stat is drivel. Now if you tell me the top third make all BIG you have something.
Exactly
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 9:21 AM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


Unless you can do something about something, it is senseless to worry about it!crazyohlord
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 10:00 AM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


I'm predicting 3 kids going elsewhere....no specific information, but this is just how recruiting goes these days.
MacBadger wrote: Anyone else get the feeling we may have more than the usual amount of softer verbals? I won't say "Soft" verbals , because I don't recall any specific recruits who have publicly made it known that they were a "Soft" verbal. However, because of how we've had some very quick commits after offers and some from recruits with very few offers, I wonder how many of them may be "not so terribly firm".  I wonder how many are thinking - "I might as well lock in this pretty good WI offer, and use it to help pull in more offers and keep looking around for a better offer with no risk?

Am I over worrying or do others see more potential for that this cycle with the way some recruits have committed?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 4:10 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 



Kilgore309 wrote:
911sfan wrote:
BigAppleBucky wrote:
badgerpaw wrote: The 2015 class will be no different than the 2014 or 2013 or 2012.......classes.

Some will leave.  Others will arrive.  

Worried?  Not me.
About a third will start, another third will contribute and the final third will see the field only at the end of games or never.  Same as always.
That's just math. Will those starters be good or just average. Will they win 10 games or lose 10. 11 guys HAVE to play but they can still suck. That stat is drivel. Now if you tell me the top third make all BIG you have something.
Exactly
Disagree on this.  It's not drivel.  The numbers can be compared from year to year to determine recruiting results in a program.  The 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 fraction is an average.

If, on a certain year, 2/3 of the recruits become starters and 1/3 are washouts, it's a very successful recruiting yield.  On the other hand if we get 1/3 starters and 2/3 washouts, we can conclude that it's a bad class.

Obviously we can only look at it in retrospect 5-6 years from the LOI signing.  We cannot prematurely use the statistics until the players have gone through the system.


Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back - Bruce Lee.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 4:44 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 



BadRick wrote: Unless you can do something about something, it is senseless to worry about it!crazyohlord
I am so very tempted to make this my signature on my posts.  Just imagine the hysterics that could be avoided if some people remembered that sentence.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 5:51 PM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 



BadRick wrote: Unless you can do something about something, it is senseless to worry about it!crazyohlord
That's no fun. Makes too much common sense!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 7:25 AM

Re: Not so firm verbals? 


June was a bit of whirlwind with 9 commits on the month, several surprises with out of the blue offers and quick commits. That said, it is unreasonable at this point to predict more than the usual number of those will flip to other programs or fail to qualify based on that alone: some will. We will also likely flip a few that are currently committed elsewhere. What is the point?
Reply | Quote