Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >

Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting better

Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 2:56 PM

Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting better 


https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/...615717031030784

Today during a radio interview on 97.1, Urban Meyer said that it was essential for the Big Ten to begin recruiting better as a conference. He also said that he would address the issue specifically with other coaches at the Big Ten coaches meeting in Chicago.

It is going to be very interesting to see how other Big Ten coaches react to this.

Last edited 2/7/2013 2:57 PM by AceTommyBoy

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 3:16 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 


Not sure what Urban Meyer expects. The Big Ten was second behind the SEC in bringing ESPN 150 and ESPN 300 recruits. Football in the south doesn't have to fight the elements - they have what they have year round. They breed players in Florida like Minnesota breeds players in hockey. Maybe I'm being pessimistic and too content with the landscape of college football, but I don't think there is anything particularly alarming about the conference's recruiting given what the entire country is going against (SEC).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 3:20 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 


Step by step instructions on how to toe the line?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 3:23 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 


Perhaps he will make available for distrubution the OSU scouting report on some recruits that  they decided they didn't need.wink
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 3:30 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



AceTommyBoy wrote:

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/...615717031030784

Today during a radio interview on 97.1, Urban Meyer said that it was essential for the Big Ten to begin recruiting better as a conference. He also said that he would address the issue specifically with other coaches at the Big Ten coaches meeting in Chicago.

I didn't hear the bit so I don't know how everything fits into the context of the conversation but on the surface this sounds spectacularly arrogant. What kind of crazy inside knowledge is Urb planning to drop on everyone here? That is you have a rich football history, giant population base, strong ties to the South, and multiple national championships you will recruit better? I have a feeling this will go over like a lead balloon.
wiscONsin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 3:30 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 


Finally!!!...Someone to tell these coaches that they should recruit better players!!  It's about fricken time...it would be VERY interesting to hear their reaction to this revelation.  
"Hey guys, good players equal good teams....how about everyone tries to get good players?"
- Urban Meinstein...breaking boundaries
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 3:31 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


True. It will also help if two of the top programs don't get banned from post-season play.

No question Hoke has finally stabilized things in Ann Arbor...that should help too.

---------------------------------------------
--- AceTommyBoy wrote:

twitter.com/DanWetzel/...615717031030784

Today during a radio interview on 97.1, Urban Meyer said that it was essential for the Big Ten to begin recruiting better as a conference. He also said that he would address the issue specifically with other coaches at the Big Ten coaches meeting in Chicago.

It is going to be very interesting to see how other Big Ten coaches react to this.



---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:21 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


Many here have mocked the somewhat zealous (AKA fawning,pandering,sucking up,head coaches recruiting more hands on, etc etc) ways that SEC teams and others use in recruiting. Private planes, over the top meals, friendly girl guides, etc etc. But if that is what it takes to sway the 18 YO male athlete you better get on the bus or accept second tier status. This is now a BIG $$$ business and usually the bulk of that ends up in a few pockets.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:22 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


Luckily, the Big Ten is still one of those 'few pockets' still receiving big money.

---------------------------------------------
--- 911sfan wrote:

Many here have mocked the somewhat zealous (AKA fawning,pandering,sucking up,head coaches recruiting more hands on, etc etc) ways that SEC teams and others use in recruiting. Private planes, over the top meals, friendly girl guides, etc etc. But if that is what it takes to sway the 18 YO male athlete you better get on the bus or accept second tier status. This is now a BIG $$$ business and usually the bulk of that ends up in a few pockets.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:24 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


Yes, for now. But the future has no guarantees. Too many Minn v Purdue games might make the networks reconsider the next time renewals come up--or it will be all OSU-UM all the time.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:28 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


Sure, nothing is guaranteed...but you know how large and dedicated these fan bases are (OSU, Michigan, PSU, Nebraska...even UW and Iowa and MSU, to degrees). They sellout stadiums, tune-in from home, buy gear, and travel well.

Given the academic prestige, you're also getting some educated folks with money (advertisers love that).

---------------------------------------------
--- 911sfan wrote:

Yes, for now. But the future has no guarantees. Too many Minn v Purdue games might make the networks reconsider the next time renewals come up--or it will be all OSU-UM all the time.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:30 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



911sfan wrote: Many here have mocked the somewhat zealous (AKA fawning,pandering,sucking up,head coaches recruiting more hands on, etc etc) ways that SEC teams and others use in recruiting. Private planes, over the top meals, friendly girl guides, etc etc. But if that is what it takes to sway the 18 YO male athlete you better get on the bus or accept second tier status. This is now a BIG $$$ business and usually the bulk of that ends up in a few pockets.

We get one of these posts from you almost daily now.  Do you not think that many, many programs are well aware that they might recruit a little better by throwing millions more at the process and have decided that they don't want to go down that road?  Your insights are not news to anyone.  There are tradeoffs to running the shop like you're suggesting.  Some schools are comfortable making those tradeoffs and others are not.  I am comfortable doing what we're doing.  If, as you so understatedly say sometimes, that means we'll be a D-3 program soon, oh well.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:32 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


It is a huge advantage to over-sign.  HUGE.  So long as the playing field is uneven in that sense, it is virtually impossible for Big Ten recruiting to equal that of the SEC.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:39 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 



BadgerinDC wrote: Step by step instructions on how to toe the line?
More likely instructions on how to lean over the line, or put a toe or two over the line, or just flat out cross the line and not get caught.  If he's got a plan for how to recruit better without paying players and family members, over-signing, or otherwise behaving like scumbags, AND he's willing to share that info with his competitors, fine.  If he's going to share the procedure manual for how to cheat, I hope the other coaches tell him to get lost.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:41 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 


Big10 recruiting is an absolute joke. As a conference we will continue to be embarrassed on a yearly basis until our coaches start bringing in better athletes. The talent gap between the SEC and B10 is huge. Yeah I am stating the obvious but there is no reason we as a conference cant do better.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:43 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 


I guess I missed the part where urban has:
oversigned
paid players
paid family members

Care to point out examples or are you just going to throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks.  Its very easy to say someone is cheating when they are flatout out performing you. 
elderbucky wrote:
BadgerinDC wrote: Step by step instructions on how to toe the line?
More likely instructions on how to lean over the line, or put a toe or two over the line, or just flat out cross the line and not get caught.  If he's got a plan for how to recruit better without paying players and family members, over-signing, or otherwise behaving like scumbags, AND he's willing to share that info with his competitors, fine.  If he's going to share the procedure manual for how to cheat, I hope the other coaches tell him to get lost.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:50 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



Buckysdorsalstripe wrote: It is a huge advantage to over-sign.  HUGE.  So long as the playing field is uneven in that sense, it is virtually impossible for Big Ten recruiting to equal that of the SEC.
Why can't the BIG also "oversign". Any BIG rules against that?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 4:58 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 



hoopsgalore wrote: Not sure what Urban Meyer expects. The Big Ten was second behind the SEC in bringing ESPN 150 and ESPN 300 recruits. Football in the south doesn't have to fight the elements - they have what they have year round. They breed players in Florida like Minnesota breeds players in hockey. Maybe I'm being pessimistic and too content with the landscape of college football, but I don't think there is anything particularly alarming about the conference's recruiting given what the entire country is going against (SEC).

You're exactly right.  He's a pompous a**.  He's working at an institution that recruits itself.  Michigan is close to the same.  Penn State was there as well.  Not true of other instiutions, nor do we produce the talent Ohio does.  He needs to get a clue.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 5:00 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


I love that this guy is in the B1G. I love that he is at OSU. I hope he actually stays for 10 years or so, though I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the NFL some day. He is going to raise the bar in this league and I think it will be good for all the programs. It will also make it sweeter when UW beats them. I also think OSU will be under investigation at some point. It's just how he rolls.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 5:03 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 



torontobuck wrote: I guess I missed the part where urban has:
oversigned
paid players
paid family members

Care to point out examples or are you just going to throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks.  Its very easy to say someone is cheating when they are flatout out performing you. 
elderbucky wrote:
BadgerinDC wrote: Step by step instructions on how to toe the line?
More likely instructions on how to lean over the line, or put a toe or two over the line, or just flat out cross the line and not get caught.  If he's got a plan for how to recruit better without paying players and family members, over-signing, or otherwise behaving like scumbags, AND he's willing to share that info with his competitors, fine.  If he's going to share the procedure manual for how to cheat, I hope the other coaches tell him to get lost.
The original reference was at the conference level, so presumably he's bringing in the secrets of the SEC.  You have to agree that there is no shortage of examples of everything I mentioned in the SEC.  I don't believe I specifically accused him of anything.  I'll be happy to let others decide about what he has or hasn't done.  I will say that his professed aggressive stance about attempting to "flip" players who have made commitments to other schools is scumbag stuff.  If that's an example of what he's bringing from the SEC to the Big Ten, we'll be worse off for it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 5:20 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



911sfan wrote:
Buckysdorsalstripe wrote: It is a huge advantage to over-sign.  HUGE.  So long as the playing field is uneven in that sense, it is virtually impossible for Big Ten recruiting to equal that of the SEC.
Why can't the BIG also "oversign". Any BIG rules against that?
Ummmm... yes.  They banned it in 1956.  Then in 2002 they loosened it a little, allowing 3 players over the 25 limit as long as they document how they got below the 85 man scholarship limit and came back into compliance.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 5:25 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


YEP I agree.  Remember all those times Urban Meyer ran teams were under investigation?  I guess that is just how he rollseek1
MDBucky wrote: I love that this guy is in the B1G. I love that he is at OSU. I hope he actually stays for 10 years or so, though I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the NFL some day. He is going to raise the bar in this league and I think it will be good for all the programs. It will also make it sweeter when UW beats them. I also think OSU will be under investigation at some point. It's just how he rolls.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 5:28 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



911sfan wrote: Yes, for now. But the future has no guarantees. Too many Minn v Purdue games might make the networks reconsider the next time renewals come up--or it will be all OSU-UM all the time.

Agreed.  And don't forget Rutgers-Maryland.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 5:50 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


He did have a lot of players arrested at Florida...but to your point, I'm not aware of any issues with the NCAA.

As for Ohio State, though, they (and Meyer) will be watched closely because of past indiscretions.

---------------------------------------------
--- torontobuck wrote:

YEP I agree.  Remember all those times Urban Meyer ran teams were under investigation?  I guess that is just how he rollseek1
MDBucky wrote: I love that this guy is in the B1G. I love that he is at OSU. I hope he actually stays for 10 years or so, though I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the NFL some day. He is going to raise the bar in this league and I think it will be good for all the programs. It will also make it sweeter when UW beats them. I also think OSU will be under investigation at some point. It's just how he rolls.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 6:07 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



Does anyone know if this will be in the form of a white paper, a PowerPoint presentation or a seminar ? Maybe put on youtube ? I can forward a copy to the other B1G coaches.
---------------------------------------------
--- AceTommyBoy wrote:

twitter.com/DanWetzel/...615717031030784

Today during a radio interview on 97.1, Urban Meyer said that it was essential for the Big Ten to begin recruiting better as a conference. He also said that he would address the issue specifically with other coaches at the Big Ten coaches meeting in Chicago.

It is going to be very interesting to see how other Big Ten coaches react to this.



---------------------------------------------
 
You come at the king, you best not miss.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 6:22 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



CloudsOfDust wrote:
911sfan wrote:
Buckysdorsalstripe wrote: It is a huge advantage to over-sign.  HUGE.  So long as the playing field is uneven in that sense, it is virtually impossible for Big Ten recruiting to equal that of the SEC.
Why can't the BIG also "oversign". Any BIG rules against that?
Ummmm... yes.  They banned it in 1956.  Then in 2002 they loosened it a little, allowing 3 players over the 25 limit as long as they document how they got below the 85 man scholarship limit and came back into compliance.
OK, thanks. I think the BIG also banned red-shirting for years and that set it back until they relented. If the BIG wants to compete they have to get with the times, again. The we are above that attitude is not working so well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 7:16 PM

RE: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting be 


I can't believe through this entire post academics was not brought up as a factor in conference recruiting. Question...how many of Alabama's 85 scholarship players would gain entrance to UW, Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State? How many at Mississippi, Arkansas, Miss State, Auburn? During the Michigan/Alabama game last fall I sent a text to a former compliance officer at UW now working at a small private school in the south. I asked her how many of Alabama's players would have likely gained entrance to UW given their background growing up and attending high schools in the SE and southern U.S. Her response...about 50%.

As I heard Bo Ryan say more than once, "nobody said college athletics is a level playing field". B1G schools can only accept so many 'academic risks' each recruiting year. Their administrations won't allow it. That is not the case in the SEC, less Vanderbilt.

I'm convinced tOSU allows more of these 'risks' than most B1G schools.

---------------------------------------------
--- torontobuck wrote:

Big10 recruiting is an absolute joke. As a conference we will continue to be embarrassed on a yearly basis until our coaches start bringing in better athletes. The talent gap between the SEC and B10 is huge. Yeah I am stating the obvious but there is no reason we as a conference cant do better.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 2/7/2013 7:28 PM by LizWaters

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 7:36 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 


Plain and simple, Urban Meyer is one of the best things that has ever happened to the Big Ten. Not only is he a great coach that will probably win a few more national titles, but he is giving the conference the giant kick in the pants that it needs. Meyer is bringing the intensity and aggressive nature that every other conference besides the Big Ten seems to have adopted. Face it, the Big Ten has always been a boring, conservative league. Most of the Big Ten programs are far too complacent and seem more than happy to sit back and collect massive revenues with very little drive to win. Hopefully with Mayer in the league that will change.

At the very least, having Meyer in the Big Ten will give the conference a certain cool factor and keep it in the national limelight. That can help recruiting for all of the teams in the conference.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 7:37 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



AceTommyBoy wrote: Plain and simple, Urban Meyer is one of the best things that has ever happened to the Big Ten. Not only is he a great coach that will probably win a few more national titles, but he is giving the conference the giant kick in the pants that it needs. Meyer is bringing the intensity and aggressive nature that every other conference besides the Big Ten seems to have adopted. Face it, the Big Ten has always been a boring, conservative league. Most of the Big Ten programs are far too complacent and seem more than happy to sit back and collect massive revenues with very little drive to win. Hopefully with Meyer in the league that will change.

At the very least, having Meyer in the Big Ten will give the conference a certain cool factor and keep it in the national limelight. That can help recruiting for all of the teams in the conference.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 7:40 PM

Re: Urban Meyer: Essential that the Big Ten begins recruiting 



911sfan wrote: Many here have mocked the somewhat zealous (AKA fawning,pandering,sucking up,head coaches recruiting more hands on, etc etc) ways that SEC teams and others use in recruiting. Private planes, over the top meals, friendly girl guides, etc etc. But if that is what it takes to sway the 18 YO male athlete you better get on the bus or accept second tier status. This is now a BIG $$$ business and usually the bulk of that ends up in a few pockets.
Yeah I don't see the "friendly" girl guides stuff going down at uw might well call them what they are ho-stesses not going to happen at uw
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >