Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Bad news

Posted: 8/12/2014 5:24 PM

Bad news 


G. DiNardo: “This is our eighth year covering Mark Dantonio, this is by far his most talented team – especially at the line of scrimmage.”
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/12/2014 5:28 PM

Re: Bad news 


That's why they always play the games on paper...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/12/2014 5:28 PM

Re: Bad news 


Why is this bad news?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/12/2014 5:37 PM

Re: Bad news 


He was saying that of his OFFENSE.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/12/2014 5:38 PM

Re: Bad news 


Michigan State should be considered the B1G favorites, especially getting OSU at home.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/12/2014 5:39 PM

Re: Bad news 


UW will face OSU in the CCG.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/12/2014 6:18 PM

Re: Bad news 



UnknownBadger wrote: He was saying that of his OFFENSE.
Leave it to The Big Tool to post/take it out of context.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/12/2014 6:21 PM

Re: Bad news 



arrogantprick wrote: UW will face OSU in the CCG.
Hope so, greatly doubt it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/12/2014 11:06 PM

Re: Bad news 



arrogantprick wrote: UW will face OSU in the CCG.
The Braxton Miller shotgun read option and the ferocious Buckeye defense?  excited
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/12/2014 11:49 PM

Re: Bad news 



Spartandawg23 wrote:
arrogantprick wrote: UW will face OSU in the CCG.
The Braxton Miller shotgun read option and the ferocious Buckeye defense?  excited
I could be wrong. OSU has no O-Line experience.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 12:11 AM

Re: Bad news 


Gerry Dinardo's opinion has us all shaking in our boots.
Reply | Quote
  • kjim73
  • Walk-On
  • 482 posts this site

Posted: 8/13/2014 8:22 AM

Re: Bad news 


MSU does seem to be loading up. Both of their lines are deep, they've got very good receivers and an experienced QB. If I was betting, I'd take them to win the B1G.

Also, their recruiting is going very well. Seems like pope Urban is going to have his hands full for the next few years.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 8:44 AM

Re: Bad news 


They lost quite a bit of PT in both lines. DEs are definitely a strength but overall I don't think MSUs D will be at the level it has been the last few years.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 8:49 AM

Re: Bad news 



arrogantprick wrote: UW will face OSU in the CCG.
Agreed

Bo Ryan's offense is officially dead and has been figured out by the B1G. The only way he can continue to coach it is if he significantly upgrades the players.-George2k5

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 8:51 AM

Re: Bad news 


Not sure who I would peg as the favorite between Michigan State and Ohio State. Both are the clear top-two teams in the conference. I would be surprised if the MSU defense isn't still a top-10 defense nationally. Calhoun, Waynes, Drummond, and Jones all have the ability to be First Team All-B1G performers.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 9:01 AM

Re: Bad news 


I think msu will be damn good but Braxton will be amazing this year which puts them over msu

Bo Ryan's offense is officially dead and has been figured out by the B1G. The only way he can continue to coach it is if he significantly upgrades the players.-George2k5

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 9:46 AM

Re: Bad news 


On paper I think the Eastern Division should be decided on Nov. 8 when the Buckeyes travel to MSU. The previous week MSU has a bye while OSU plays at home against the Illini. MSU had significant losses on defense while the Buckeyes had significant losses on offense.

On paper I think the Western Division could be decided on Nov. 22 when Wisconsin travels to Iowa. The previous week Iowa plays Nebraska while the Badgers play Illinois at Camp Randall. I haven't looked too closely at either of your teams as neither is on the Buckeye regular season schedule. Iowa seems to have a very favorable schedule while I know the Badgers will have a formidable rushing attack - as usual.

Lots on football to be played before November arrives. Hopefully there will be no injuries to key players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 10:05 AM

Re: Bad news 


I'll be rooting for OSU over MSU once again.  And I'll feel dirty doing it.
 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 10:08 AM

Re: Bad news 



uwbadgers wrote: I'll be rooting for OSU over MSU once again.  And I'll feel dirty doing it.
I'm with you man!
Reply | Quote
  • uwrjl
  • Sophomore
  • 2335 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 2:50 PM

Re: Bad news 


Dinardo's wife sat next to me at a game a few years back.  Very nice lady.  She was not a fan of Indiana at the time!

Thank you Wayne Cook !

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 3:01 PM

Re: Bad news 



911sfan wrote: G. DiNardo: “This is our eighth year covering Mark Dantonio, this is by far his most talented team – especially at the line of scrimmage.”
If Wisconsin gets a chance to play MSU I can't see it being anything but good news.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:36 PM

Re: Bad news 



Handloader wrote: On paper I think the Eastern Division should be decided on Nov. 8 when the Buckeyes travel to MSU. The previous week MSU has a bye while OSU plays at home against the Illini. MSU had significant losses on defense while the Buckeyes had significant losses on offense.

On paper I think the Western Division could be decided on Nov. 22 when Wisconsin travels to Iowa. The previous week Iowa plays Nebraska while the Badgers play Illinois at Camp Randall. I haven't looked too closely at either of your teams as neither is on the Buckeye regular season schedule. Iowa seems to have a very favorable schedule while I know the Badgers will have a formidable rushing attack - as usual.

Lots on football to be played before November arrives. Hopefully there will be no injuries to key players.
Michigan State lost a fair amount on defense, but returns star power in Calhoun, Waynes, Jones, and Drummond.  They'll still have a damn good defense.  Good luck to Devin Smith, but I like Waynes to best him in that matchup.  Hard for me to go against MSU at home.

Both Iowa and Wisconsin have a favorable conference schedule, though Iowa gets both Nebraska and Wisconsin at home.  Hasn't stopped Wisconsin, though.  The last two games against Iowa have both been at Kinnick and Wisconsin has come out on top in each.  Not an environment that will rattle Wisconsin.

A lot of question marks in the West, but I think most everyone agrees it will be either Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Iowa facing Michigan State or Ohio State in the B1G Championship Game.

Last edited 8/13/2014 4:36 PM by hoopsgalore

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 6:06 PM

Re: Bad news 



911sfan wrote: G. DiNardo: “This is our eighth year covering Mark Dantonio, this is by far his most talented team – especially at the line of scrimmage.”
Are you trying to parody yourself now, with thread titles like this followed up by silly topics about pundits' opinions?

And we already knew MSU was going to be really good, anyway.  Luckily they're no longer in our division.  cool
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 9:00 PM

Re: Bad news 



hoopsgalore wrote:
Handloader wrote: On paper I think the Eastern Division should be decided on Nov. 8 when the Buckeyes travel to MSU. The previous week MSU has a bye while OSU plays at home against the Illini. MSU had significant losses on defense while the Buckeyes had significant losses on offense.

On paper I think the Western Division could be decided on Nov. 22 when Wisconsin travels to Iowa. The previous week Iowa plays Nebraska while the Badgers play Illinois at Camp Randall. I haven't looked too closely at either of your teams as neither is on the Buckeye regular season schedule. Iowa seems to have a very favorable schedule while I know the Badgers will have a formidable rushing attack - as usual.

Lots on football to be played before November arrives. Hopefully there will be no injuries to key players.
Michigan State lost a fair amount on defense, but returns star power in Calhoun, Waynes, Jones, and Drummond.  They'll still have a damn good defense.  Good luck to Devin Smith, but I like Waynes to best him in that matchup.  Hard for me to go against MSU at home.

Both Iowa and Wisconsin have a favorable conference schedule, though Iowa gets both Nebraska and Wisconsin at home.  Hasn't stopped Wisconsin, though.  The last two games against Iowa have both been at Kinnick and Wisconsin has come out on top in each.  Not an environment that will rattle Wisconsin.

A lot of question marks in the West, but I think most everyone agrees it will be either Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Iowa facing Michigan State or Ohio State in the B1G Championship Game.
We won't have to wait very long to see if MSU has rebuilt their defense and if Ohio State has rebuilt their offense. On Sept 6 the Spartans go on the road to play the Ducks while the Buckeyes take on Va. Tech in the Shoe.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 9:27 PM

Re: Bad news 


MSU has the most national respect out of any B1G team currently,including Ohio State. This is due to their style and results on defense and their bowl win over Stanford and to a lesser extent their bowl win over Georgia 3 years ago. That Rose Bowl win was huge for them.

Imagine the increased stature of the UW program had we won 3 straight Rose Bowls. Crazy to consider.

I agree it will OSU/MSU vs UW/Iowa/Neb. 

I dont see the West champion beating the East champion but that's why they play the games.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 10:19 PM

Re: Bad news 



Handloader wrote:
hoopsgalore wrote:
Handloader wrote: On paper I think the Eastern Division should be decided on Nov. 8 when the Buckeyes travel to MSU. The previous week MSU has a bye while OSU plays at home against the Illini. MSU had significant losses on defense while the Buckeyes had significant losses on offense.

On paper I think the Western Division could be decided on Nov. 22 when Wisconsin travels to Iowa. The previous week Iowa plays Nebraska while the Badgers play Illinois at Camp Randall. I haven't looked too closely at either of your teams as neither is on the Buckeye regular season schedule. Iowa seems to have a very favorable schedule while I know the Badgers will have a formidable rushing attack - as usual.

Lots on football to be played before November arrives. Hopefully there will be no injuries to key players.
Michigan State lost a fair amount on defense, but returns star power in Calhoun, Waynes, Jones, and Drummond.  They'll still have a damn good defense.  Good luck to Devin Smith, but I like Waynes to best him in that matchup.  Hard for me to go against MSU at home.

Both Iowa and Wisconsin have a favorable conference schedule, though Iowa gets both Nebraska and Wisconsin at home.  Hasn't stopped Wisconsin, though.  The last two games against Iowa have both been at Kinnick and Wisconsin has come out on top in each.  Not an environment that will rattle Wisconsin.

A lot of question marks in the West, but I think most everyone agrees it will be either Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Iowa facing Michigan State or Ohio State in the B1G Championship Game.
We won't have to wait very long to see if MSU has rebuilt their defense and if Ohio State has rebuilt their offense. On Sept 6 the Spartans go on the road to play the Ducks while the Buckeyes take on Va. Tech in the Shoe.
Suppose not.  Though I would assume both teams will look drastically different between September and November.  World of a difference between how teams look in early season OOC games and the conference slate.  Still think MSU has the upper hand on Ohio State.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/14/2014 10:25 AM

Re: Bad news 



hoopsgalore wrote:
Handloader wrote:
We won't have to wait very long to see if MSU has rebuilt their defense and if Ohio State has rebuilt their offense. On Sept 6 the Spartans go on the road to play the Ducks while the Buckeyes take on Va. Tech in the Shoe.
Suppose not.  Though I would assume both teams will look drastically different between September and November.  World of a difference between how teams look in early season OOC games and the conference slate.  Still think MSU has the upper hand on Ohio State.
Last season the Buckeyes led the Big Ten in scoring offense. With the number of new starters it's doubtful they will be quite as good this season.

Last season the Spartans led the Big Ten in scoring defense. With the number of new starters it's doubtful they will be quite as good this season.

Last season the Spartans were 8th in the conference in total offense. They return most of their starters and while some improvement could be expected, I doubt if many opposing defensive coordinators lose sleep worrying about the Spartan offense.

Last season the Buckeyes were 7th in the conference in total defense. Their run defense was decent but the pass defense was atrocious, ranking 11th in the Big Ten. To say Urban was not pleased would be an understatement.

Chris Ash, who was part of the Badger's coaching staff at one time, was hired and named co-defensive co-ordintor. Basicly the entire defensive scheme as it pertains to pass defense will be new and actually simplified. The Buckeyes are going to change to a press coverage scheme and become an attacking defense rather than a read and react defense.

Urban has said he would much rather give up the occasional long pass completion as opposed to letting opposing offenses dink and dunk and chew up the clock.

When comparing the MSU and OSU teams from last season, I expect the Buckeye pass defense will be the biggest improvement. Last year the Buckeye defense gave up 603 yards and 41 points to Michigan, 438 yards and 34 points to Michigan State and 576 yards and 40 points to Clemson, in their final three games.  This defense has far too much talent on its roster to perform this poorly again.

Last edited 8/14/2014 10:27 AM by Handloader

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/14/2014 10:44 AM

Re: Bad news 


Chris Ash not a proven commodity, especially in this 'press coverage' Buckeye fans seem so hopeful about.  I see no reason why I shouldn't believe that Michigan State has the upper hand on Ohio State.  They lose several starters on defense, yes, but return four players on each level that are among the best at their position in the conference.  That will provide some cushion and if MSU has proven anything over the past few years, it is that they will have a very good defense.  Couple that with Pat Narduzzi and an experienced offense and I believe that Michigan State is the team to beat in the East.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/14/2014 11:00 AM

Re: Bad news 



hoopsgalore wrote: Chris Ash not a proven commodity, especially in this 'press coverage' Buckeye fans seem so hopeful about.  I see no reason why I shouldn't believe that Michigan State has the upper hand on Ohio State.  They lose several starters on defense, yes, but return four players on each level that are among the best at their position in the conference.  That will provide some cushion and if MSU has proven anything over the past few years, it is that they will have a very good defense.  Couple that with Pat Narduzzi and an experienced offense and I believe that Michigan State is the team to beat in the East.
noidea Enjoyed our rather amicable conversation. Discussing  differences of opinion make the off-season somewhat bearable. Fortunately, which is the best team will be decided on the field of play on November 8. Good luck in your game vs LSU.

Last edited 8/14/2014 11:02 AM by Handloader

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/14/2014 11:26 AM

Re: Bad news 



CloudsOfDust wrote:
911sfan wrote: G. DiNardo: “This is our eighth year covering Mark Dantonio, this is by far his most talented team – especially at the line of scrimmage.”
Are you trying to parody yourself now, with thread titles like this followed up by silly topics about pundits' opinions?

And we already knew MSU was going to be really good, anyway.  Luckily they're no longer in our division.  cool
How many pundits visit every BIG team every year and were once head coaches? GD is one that does not seem to play favorites and has been more than fair to the Badgers too.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >