Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Wisconsin story on NCAA site

Posted: 6/29/2014 10:45 AM

Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Gary Andersen's face dominates the NCAA's football page this morning, with an AP story on adjustments planned for the offensive game plan. Nothing new, but nice to see the attention. Major point: "Power and zone inside runs are still very much in the playbook. The fly sweep -- perhaps Gordon's signature play -- isn't going anywhere. But spread looks may offer more options running outside the tackles. Or maybe Wisconsin runs more play action off run formations; or use more spread run and pass plays out of different personnel groups."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/footb.../mixing-offense

These ARE the Good Old Days.

Last edited 6/29/2014 10:46 AM by OlBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/29/2014 11:14 AM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


I read this article, OB. Not sure where I originally found it and you are right. Not a lot of new news although he generally outlines how he sees the spread fitting in. I thought it his comment was interesting that Wisconsin utilized "spread concepts" at times while Wilson was at QB. It validated what I've posted before.

I do think, however, we'll see more designed runs by the QB in the future (perhaps not this year) than we saw with Wilson. When Wilson was here we really didn't have anybody that could step in should he get dinged up. Andersen has made it an imperative that we have more that just one mobile QB in the arsenal.

Last edited 6/29/2014 12:28 PM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/29/2014 12:07 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


The "spicing up the offense" article by Armas has been floating around and appearing in various papers since 6/18.
OlBadger wrote: Gary Andersen's face dominates the NCAA's football page this morning, with an AP story on adjustments planned for the offensive game plan. Nothing new, but nice to see the attention. Major point: "Power and zone inside runs are still very much in the playbook. The fly sweep -- perhaps Gordon's signature play -- isn't going anywhere. But spread looks may offer more options running outside the tackles. Or maybe Wisconsin runs more play action off run formations; or use more spread run and pass plays out of different personnel groups."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/footb.../mixing-offense

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/29/2014 1:57 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


This offense will have all the spice it needs when our Q.B.s begin consistently hitting open play-action patterns.  Guys are open.  It's basically pitch n' catch at a fairly sophisticated level but delivering a football accurately has somehow become an unobtainable art-form recently.

All else falls in place when we begin converting big play-action opportunities.  Certainly a run game with great potential would find full fruition (again) with an efficient complement.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/29/2014 2:51 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



Bendbadgersteve wrote: This offense will have all the spice it needs when our Q.B.s begin consistently hitting open play-action patterns.  Guys are open.  It's basically pitch n' catch at a fairly sophisticated level but delivering a football accurately has somehow become an unobtainable art-form recently.

All else falls in place when we begin converting big play-action opportunities.  Certainly a run game with great potential would find full fruition (again) with an efficient complement.
Well, we did set a rushing record even with the inconsistent pass game last year, Steve. Our points per game has been way down the last two years though.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/29/2014 2:56 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



Bendbadgersteve wrote:

It's basically pitch n' catch at a fairly sophisticated level but delivering a football accurately has somehow become an unobtainable art-form recently. Certainly a run game with great potential would find full fruition (again) with an efficient complement.


To be fair, three of the previous four UW QBs were drafted by the NFL. Stave and McEvoy were sophomores last year. I think QB is a position that will be stronger as these two mature and the new guys come along.
These ARE the Good Old Days.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/29/2014 3:03 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



OlBadger wrote:
Bendbadgersteve wrote:

It's basically pitch n' catch at a fairly sophisticated level but delivering a football accurately has somehow become an unobtainable art-form recently. Certainly a run game with great potential would find full fruition (again) with an efficient complement.


To be fair, three of the previous four UW QBs were drafted by the NFL. Stave and McEvoy were sophomores last year. I think QB is a position that will be stronger as these two mature and the new guys come along.
And they (well, Stave at least) finally have some consistency in coaching.  A new OC/QB coach every year is not conducive to optimal progress.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/29/2014 7:23 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:39 AM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Who's whining about them. Komacki is just stating that many people who have made the game their careers have said. He didn't say we shouldn't have made those changes.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 2:12 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


I could say the same thing for someone at work who has a rapid turnover of bosses, and each one wants them to do their job a different way.  It's not whining, it's stating the fact that the turnover has likely limited the growth of the QBs on the roster post-Wilson, and that I expect to see more significant improvement year-to-year now that they have some consistency in the directions they are getting.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 3:53 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Besides, until Wisconsin starts producing the "QB that have the tools" consistently, we'll will not the success that you want.  Recruiting is pretty much maxed out.  BA found that out after his RB game, BB tried but couldn't (see Jacoby Brissett) and GA pretty much held serve with most 2-star, 3-star and unrated guys with a sprinkling of 4-star players.


Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back - Bruce Lee.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 4:50 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



UWRX95 wrote: Besides, until Wisconsin starts producing the "QB that have the tools" consistently, we'll will not the success that you want.  Recruiting is pretty much maxed out.  BA found that out after his RB game, BB tried but couldn't (see Jacoby Brissett) and GA pretty much held serve with most 2-star, 3-star and unrated guys with a sprinkling of 4-star players.
I don't really agree with that.  While Wisconsin won't be up there with the recruiting juggernauts, there has now been sustained success at Wisconsin for longer than new recruits have been alive.  Alvarez and Bielema didn't have than behind them.  If Anderson can continue the success then I think we'll see a modest rise in the rankings and pull in more highly rated players from a wider area more frequently.  Note that I did say modest increase, though.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 5:08 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Hmm, why was Watt playing HB in spring in certain sets? When Mcevoy wins the job, the o will be a one back Brax miller look at times

with a 2 back system vs D's that are weak up front. We can play pro style with any of the 3 qb's. What makes this possible? a vet OL, young wr's, young but VERY deep TE group and a weak schedule.

Last edited 6/30/2014 5:10 PM by buckyfever1

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 5:13 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Houston was a four star get.


---------------------------------------------
--- UWRX95 wrote:

Besides, until Wisconsin starts producing the "QB that have the tools" consistently, we'll will not the success that you want.  Recruiting is pretty much maxed out.  BA found that out after his RB game, BB tried but couldn't (see Jacoby Brissett) and GA pretty much held serve with most 2-star, 3-star and unrated guys with a sprinkling of 4-star players.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 7:28 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



komacki wrote: .I don't really agree with that. While Wisconsin won't be up there with the recruiting juggernauts, there has now been sustained success at Wisconsin for longer than new recruits have been alive. Alvarez and Bielema didn't have than behind them. If Anderson can continue the success then I think we'll see a modest rise in the rankings and pull in more highly rated players from a wider area more frequently. Note that I did say modest increase, though.
I agree that we can have a modest increase, that's why I said "pretty much maxed out". There is a little wiggle room but not much. A sizable percentage of the recruits will still come from Wisconsin. The ratings of those recruits won't change over the years.  Do you see future coaches going away from recruiting Wisconsin kids?

Most of the signees will still be in the 3-star range.  We can win some 4* OOS guys but they will be limited.  We won't beat other programs for most OOS HS players that have 20-30 scholly offers, especially they're primary targets of the blueblood programs (having just scholly offers from Bama or ND doesn't count; they may be slow played by them).
SkannerDan wrote: Houston was a four star get.


So was Tyler Donovan and DJ Gillins. Bollinger would've been rated similarly if the rankings go back that far.  Your point is?


Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back - Bruce Lee.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 7:41 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



Except when your new OC is a major downgrade from Paul Chryst in play calling and QB development then your PPG is way down. I said we would see this when Paul left, he was a special coordinator.

---------------------------------------------
--- returnfish wrote:

Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 7:51 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



Sackman86 wrote:
Except when your new OC is a major downgrade from Paul Chryst in play calling and QB development then your PPG is way down. I said we would see this when Paul left, he was a special coordinator.

---------------------------------------------
--- returnfish wrote:

Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.

---------------------------------------------
Paul Chryst's first three seasons as UW's sole OC: 29.2, 29.5 and 27.5 ppg

His last three: 31.8, 41.5 and 44.1.

His average: 34.1 ppg.

UW's ppg in first season under Andy Ludwig: 34.8.
"Nobody has defended (Ray) Rice. TGP and PH are trying to perpetuate a myth. They don't have a reading comprehension problem. They are simply idiots." - Kowitzc on 7/31/14 during a debate about domestic violence.

Last edited 6/30/2014 7:53 PM by potrykus

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:38 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



potrykus wrote:
Sackman86 wrote:
Except when your new OC is a major downgrade from Paul Chryst in play calling and QB development then your PPG is way down. I said we would see this when Paul left, he was a special coordinator.

---------------------------------------------
--- returnfish wrote:

Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.

---------------------------------------------
Paul Chryst's first three seasons as UW's sole OC: 29.2, 29.5 and 27.5 ppg

His last three: 31.8, 41.5 and 44.1.

His average: 34.1 ppg.

UW's ppg in first season under Andy Ludwig: 34.8.
My math is hazy.  Is 34.8 > 34.1?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 10:07 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



BadgerFan811 wrote:
potrykus wrote:
Sackman86 wrote:
Except when your new OC is a major downgrade from Paul Chryst in play calling and QB development then your PPG is way down. I said we would see this when Paul left, he was a special coordinator.

---------------------------------------------
--- returnfish wrote:

Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.

---------------------------------------------
Paul Chryst's first three seasons as UW's sole OC: 29.2, 29.5 and 27.5 ppg

His last three: 31.8, 41.5 and 44.1.

His average: 34.1 ppg.

UW's ppg in first season under Andy Ludwig: 34.8.
My math is hazy.  Is 34.8 > 34.1?
Don't worry about your math.  However, you might want to brush up on analogies.   34.8 > 29.2.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/30/2014 10:18 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



Warwickstar wrote:
BadgerFan811 wrote:
potrykus wrote:
Sackman86 wrote:
Except when your new OC is a major downgrade from Paul Chryst in play calling and QB development then your PPG is way down. I said we would see this when Paul left, he was a special coordinator.

---------------------------------------------
--- returnfish wrote:

Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.

---------------------------------------------
Paul Chryst's first three seasons as UW's sole OC: 29.2, 29.5 and 27.5 ppg

His last three: 31.8, 41.5 and 44.1.

His average: 34.1 ppg.

UW's ppg in first season under Andy Ludwig: 34.8.
My math is hazy.  Is 34.8 > 34.1?
Don't worry about your math.  However, you might want to brush up on analogies.   34.8 > 29.2.
OR another way, 34.8<44.1. The differences being the quality of the passing game.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/1/2014 4:27 PM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Are you saying we won't win any games with our new OC. I think our new OC is pretty good.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 7:14 AM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


Let's not let facts obscure argument here!  

OC is the last place I'd be looking for a staff weakness.

potrykus wrote:
Sackman86 wrote:
Except when your new OC is a major downgrade from Paul Chryst in play calling and QB development then your PPG is way down. I said we would see this when Paul left, he was a special coordinator.

---------------------------------------------
--- returnfish wrote:

Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.

---------------------------------------------
Paul Chryst's first three seasons as UW's sole OC: 29.2, 29.5 and 27.5 ppg

His last three: 31.8, 41.5 and 44.1.

His average: 34.1 ppg.

UW's ppg in first season under Andy Ludwig: 34.8.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/2/2014 7:35 AM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 



TheNewRed wrote:

Let's not let facts obscure argument here!  

OC is the last place I'd be looking for a staff weakness.

potrykus wrote:
Sackman86 wrote:
Except when your new OC is a major downgrade from Paul Chryst in play calling and QB development then your PPG is way down. I said we would see this when Paul left, he was a special coordinator.

---------------------------------------------
--- returnfish wrote:

Quit whining about coaching changes. I can think of a few programs with some success that go through coaching changes.  Get QBs that have the tools and you won't have to post stupid crap.

---------------------------------------------
Paul Chryst's first three seasons as UW's sole OC: 29.2, 29.5 and 27.5 ppg

His last three: 31.8, 41.5 and 44.1.

His average: 34.1 ppg.

UW's ppg in first season under Andy Ludwig: 34.8.
I don't believe he's inferring that at all. More likely the opposite.

I do remember Chryst being critical of the team's success in the red zone scoring TDs and working hard the following couple years to improve upon that stat. It ended with almost perfection. This is one area Wisconsin has been poor at these last two seasons.

Not only have the Badgers not gotten into the red  zone as often but they haven't scored TDs with the in the same percentage of regularity. There was improvement last year over 2012. We got into the RZ 7 more times, scored more often, but the percentage of FGs went up. Even with the RZ efficiency improvement in 2013, the O has a long ways to go to near the efficiencies of 2010 and 11.

Last edited 7/2/2014 8:07 AM by UnknownBadger

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/2/2014 8:42 AM

Re: Wisconsin story on NCAA site 


I thought AL did a great job with what we had to work with in his first year

Bo Ryan's offense is officially dead and has been figured out by the B1G. The only way he can continue to coach it is if he significantly upgrades the players.-George2k5

Reply | Quote