Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Next Years Roster ??????

Posted: 6/26/2014 11:14 AM

Next Years Roster ?????? 


Xavier Turner - His "unspecified violation" is apparently unspecified only to the Vanderbilt community.  It is common knowledge what the violation was and the violation comes with a one season suspension.  Violation was known before the CWS started, Corbin appealled the suspension and bought Xavier a couple of more games.  Suspension was upheld.  Do not know if there is any recourse to reduce the time of the suspension which would allow him to play all of some of next season.

Tyler Campbell - Obviously this kid is a top level player.  I doubt he is going to be willing to return to sitting on the bench and getting 15 at-bats in his draft year.  Does he transfer out?  Or does Corbin give him an opportunity?  If Turner returns (and is eligible) and Conde stays, there is no room for him.  Campbell was also a draft eligible sophomore this year.  Could he parlay his CWS performance and a strong summer into a "free agent" contract?Highly unlikely  but still an interesting possibility.

Ro Coleman - Apparently, there is no room for Coleman on the field.  His arm precludes him from moving to the outfield and his fielding is not going to win him a spot in the infield.  Is he going to stay knowing his role is going to be a part-time DH?  Or, does he move to full-time DH and is he happy with that?

Outfield - It looks like our outfield will for the most part stand pat.  Only maybe here is:  can Norwood couple his CWS performance with a strong start this summer and parlay that into a "free agent" contract?  Probably not but a possibility.  Wiseman stays in right and look for him to have a breakout year.  Reynolds settles in and just does what he does.  Norwood is much better next year with a full year under his belt, but Norwood is still going to be Norwood (you take the handful of misplayed balls,the base running errors and the poses in the box that turn triples into doubles and you hope you get the late inning, game winning shot that only he is capable of hitting.)

Pitching - We definitely lose some significant arms, but the pitching staff looks to simply re-load next year.  Obviously we have Fullmer, Ferguson, Stone, etc..  Where does Sheffield fit into the picture next year?  And, did we sign any incoming freshman or did we lose them all to the draft?

Catchers - I think there is room here for an incoming freshman to come in and take this spot.  The defense behind the dish has been spotty at best by both catchers.  I do not look for Harvey to make a rebound and he may very well leave to a Div. II school in an attempt to make one more run at getting drafted.  I think this position is ripe for the taking. 

Recruits - Are there any position players coming in as freshman that can crack this lineup.  If Conde leaves, Turner is ineligible and Campbell stays that probably puts Campbell and Swanson up the middle.  Maybe they leave Campbell at third, but he is a natural middle guy.  But this scenario would leave one position available.  Maybe in the worst scenario Campbell leaves too and there are two positions available.  We always seem to find one or two freshman position players that come in and make an immediate difference.

DH- If Coleman stays I think he matures a lot in this position and becomes a real asset here.  He obviously has great tools and I think he comes into his own next year.  Question is:  is he going to be content being a four year DH?  If he leaves I think we have a completely new face in the DH role - maybe and underclassman we haven't seen yet or an incoming freshman.  Outside chance Harvey or even Smith grow into this position but I think this is a long shot.

Overall - It looks like the outfield will be the same.  Wiel stays at first base. Swanson pushes to shortstop.  My guess is Campbell stays in the infield somewhere but you can tell Corbin does not share the love the rest of the world feels for Tyler.  My guess is Turner is done at Vanderbilt and this leaves one position open in the infield and I do not think Coleman or Rogers fill this position.  Look for an incoming freshman to be playing in the infield.  

In a worst case scenario we lose a couple of critical players that we were not counting on losing.  But this is unlikely.  I think our roster next year looks just as strong as this year and maybe stronger.  We have a lot of guys returning with another year under their belts and a CWS championship.  I really like our team for next year.  Obviously, repeating not only takes a great team but a lot of great breaks.  I think we will have the great team.  The great breaks are up to the baseball gods.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 11:30 AM

Recruiting 


Winning the CWS should help recruiting.  However, it is too late for this year's class.   

Any thoughts on future recruiting and who we might pick up next year who may have been undecided?   

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 11:49 AM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


Can Turner redshirt next season and play one more year of college ball after?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 11:54 AM

"Corbin does not share the love... 


the rest of the world feels for Tyler (Campbell)"

On what do you base that statement?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 12:01 PM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


If Turner is out, Campbell is the 3b. If Conde leaves, Dans to SS and 2b is up for grabs.
Reply | Quote
  • fldore
  • Captain
  • 2548 posts this site

Posted: 6/26/2014 12:09 PM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


On paper we should be better next year.  

Reynolds-Norwood-Wiseman all come back.  Next year if Norwood turns into the hitter he was these last couple weeks, our offense may become potent.

Swanson is back.  Wiel is back.  Not sure whats happening with Conde or Turner.  Worse case neither returns and Campbell starts along with one young person.  

Catchers could get better at the plate.  But remember Conde was a terrible hitter his freshman year and turned into arguably our best one this season.  Ellison is a beast defensively.  If he can develop as a hitter, he'd be a great player.  Delay isnt quite as good defensively but is a solid player in his own right.  Would be nice if one of the two developed some offense.

Pitching will take a hit with the loss of Beede and Ravenelle.  But Fulmer and Buehler as our 1-2 should be solid.  Ferguson could be 3rd.  Stone is back.  Not sure if Brian Miller is coming back.  Kilichowski.  Bowden.  Sheffield.  We've got a ton of arms.  Would be nice to have someone step up into the closer role the way Ravenelle did.

We should start next season as a top 5 if not top 3 team.  We're loaded.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 10:09 AM

Re: "Corbin does not share the love... 


It is just an impression I have.  And, I understand that this opinion is based solely on subjective matter but here goes.

First, I do not believe this kind of talent just magically showed up for the CWS.  I remember in Campbell's freshman year he showed up at the Black and Gold series and pretty much put on the same show he did at the CWS this year.  His defense was unbelievable, I believe he led the team in hits and RBIs and had a walk off  walk in one of the games.  He just showed great composure for a young kid.  At the time everyone was talking about moving Tony back to the outfield to make room for Campbell at second base.  My point is:  this kind of talent was either unnoticed by Corbin for two years, which would mean Corbin was completely incompetent, or it was unappreciated for some reason.  I don't think anyone thinks  Corbin is incompetent.  I ask you this, "Does anyone out there think Nolan Roger's talent rises anywhere near the level of Tyler Campbell?"  And yet, look at the discrepancy  in opportunity.

Second, in every interview at the CWS when Corbin was asked about Tyler Campbell, he continually defaulted to, "every year one or two kids come out of nowhere and rise to the occasion."  It just seemed to me that he was attempting to diminish his accomplishment.  When asked about Campbell's big inning in the first game against Virginia, every time he said the biggest play of the inning was Dansby's play where he beat out the throw at second base.  There is just something there that is off.  I can't tell you exactly what it is and by all accounts everyone loves this kid.  But there is something off there with Corbin.  You just do not sit a kid with that much talent for two years.  C'mon 15 at bats in each of two years.  And, the older players had to overrule Corbin just to get Tyler on the field.
ClassofClyde wrote: the rest of the world feels for Tyler (Campbell)"

On what do you base that statement?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 10:32 AM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


Is Chris Harvey coming back for his last year?  At 6-5, they should let him play first when we play cupcake teams (Wiel could still DH in those games as needed)

If he's not going to be a catcher here, use him somewhere, right?  We might need a guy with some 1st base experience as a backup in case of injury due to dirty plays... like... I don't know... we saw from.. VIRGINIA  flushed
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 10:34 AM

Re: "Corbin does not share the love... 


"the older players had to overrule Corbin just to get Tyler on the field".....

I was following your reasoning, until you made that statement.....where did you hear that?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/27/2014 11:10 AM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


As for freshmen who are coming in that could make an immediate impact, we have an OF coming in named Jeren Kendall who was actually drafted out of high school in the 30th round. Assuming he doesn't sign, he could come in at DH. I've heard he might be the fastest recruit in the 2014 class so he'd fit into our smallball offense really well.

We also have a guy named Liam Sabino coming in who is an outstanding infielder. His defense is his calling card. Naturally, he plays SS but I'm sure he's flexible enough to be moved to either 3rd or 2nd if we needed him. I'm not worried about our infield since we have such great athletes that can play almost any position.

There's also Will Toffey who plays 2nd base or SS who was drafted in the 23rd round so, again, assuming he doesn't sign, he could also come in and contribute immediately should Turner not return.

As for pitching, I don't think Toussaint has singed yet (number 16 overall in draft) so we still have a chance at getting him to come. If he did, this would be a major coup. He would be one of our primary bullpen guys to start the season but if he has the sort of potential that is rumored about, he could move into the starting rotation as the #4 or even #3. (correction: as noted below, Toussaint did in fact sign, I just missed the news.)

Dylan Cease is another pitcher who was drafted (6th round), but he still hasn't signed. The Cubs have a lot of money to throw at him but he has apparently been very strong on his commitment to Vandy so who knows what will happen. Out of high school, he was throwing a fastball in the upwards of 97 mph.

Besides them, we have a myriad of pitchers coming in and at least one of them is sure to be a surprise.

Overall, this class could have been really, really strong but unfortunately, the draft took a lot of our talent away (for example the SS who went in the second round with a really good bat). The good news is that we have a whole lot of talent coming back and we have enough talent coming in to keep us strong. I expect good things next season.

Last edited 6/27/2014 11:25 AM by TheoDore8

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 11:18 AM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


Toussiant signed earlier this month.  We have a decent chance of Cease coming our way.

Last edited 6/27/2014 11:19 AM by Vandyrone

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 11:50 AM

Re: "Corbin does not share the love... 



cdore1968 wrote:But there is something off there with Corbin.  You just do not sit a kid with that much talent for two years.  C'mon 15 at bats in each of two years.  And, the older players had to overrule Corbin just to get Tyler on the field.

I had read that Corbin consulted some of the veteran players on who to replace Turner.  Did you hear elsewhere that Corbin originally wanted to start a different player?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 11:54 AM

You need to stop with the nonsense about Corbin/Campbell 


You're WAY off base there.

He was sitting behind a better player, end of story. Now he'll quite possibly get his opportunity to be the starter going into next season, and I fully expect him to excel in the role.

Last edited 6/27/2014 11:56 AM by ORDore

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/27/2014 12:12 PM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


Why couldn't Ro play second?

Also, how can something be "common knowledge" when no one here knows about it?

Last edited 6/27/2014 12:25 PM by dores2010

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 12:21 PM

Re: "Corbin does not share the love... 



freckling wrote:
cdore1968 wrote:But there is something off there with Corbin.  You just do not sit a kid with that much talent for two years.  C'mon 15 at bats in each of two years.  And, the older players had to overrule Corbin just to get Tyler on the field.

I had read that Corbin consulted some of the veteran players on who to replace Turner.  Did you hear elsewhere that Corbin originally wanted to start a different player?

Freckling is right.  Corbs sought counsel from his leaders and they chose Campbell.  College coaches are compensated based on their ability to make decisions.  As much as Corbs is respected by his kids, they'll go with whatever he says.  In this instance, they provided the insight and he went with their choice. 

This was a strong psychological move on Corbin's part as well.  The team could have been easily deflated following the loss of Turner.  Instead, he gave this group the ability to choose the replacement, and therefore share in the decision.  They were going to do everything in their power to make sure Campbell succeeded because they made the call...and they didn't want to let Corbs down.  It was a brilliant move.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 12:42 PM

Re: "Corbin does not share the love... 


Corbin said in an interview that Tyler was his choice, but he wanted the players' input before he revealed who was going to be the replacement. The players didn't make the decision, they confirmed what he was thinking in his own mind.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:10 PM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 



cdore1968 wrote: Xavier Turner - His "unspecified violation" is apparently unspecified only to the Vanderbilt community.  It is common knowledge what the violation was and the violation comes with a one season suspension.  Violation was known before the CWS started, Corbin appealled the suspension and bought Xavier a couple of more games.  Suspension was upheld.  Do not know if there is any recourse to reduce the time of the suspension which would allow him to play all of some of next season.

Tyler Campbell - Obviously this kid is a top level player.  I doubt he is going to be willing to return to sitting on the bench and getting 15 at-bats in his draft year.  Does he transfer out?  Or does Corbin give him an opportunity?  If Turner returns (and is eligible) and Conde stays, there is no room for him.  Campbell was also a draft eligible sophomore this year.  Could he parlay his CWS performance and a strong summer into a "free agent" contract?Highly unlikely  but still an interesting possibility.

Ro Coleman - Apparently, there is no room for Coleman on the field.  His arm precludes him from moving to the outfield and his fielding is not going to win him a spot in the infield.  Is he going to stay knowing his role is going to be a part-time DH?  Or, does he move to full-time DH and is he happy with that?

Outfield - It looks like our outfield will for the most part stand pat.  Only maybe here is:  can Norwood couple his CWS performance with a strong start this summer and parlay that into a "free agent" contract?  Probably not but a possibility.  Wiseman stays in right and look for him to have a breakout year.  Reynolds settles in and just does what he does.  Norwood is much better next year with a full year under his belt, but Norwood is still going to be Norwood (you take the handful of misplayed balls,the base running errors and the poses in the box that turn triples into doubles and you hope you get the late inning, game winning shot that only he is capable of hitting.)

Pitching - We definitely lose some significant arms, but the pitching staff looks to simply re-load next year.  Obviously we have Fullmer, Ferguson, Stone, etc..  Where does Sheffield fit into the picture next year?  And, did we sign any incoming freshman or did we lose them all to the draft?

Catchers - I think there is room here for an incoming freshman to come in and take this spot.  The defense behind the dish has been spotty at best by both catchers.  I do not look for Harvey to make a rebound and he may very well leave to a Div. II school in an attempt to make one more run at getting drafted.  I think this position is ripe for the taking. 

Recruits - Are there any position players coming in as freshman that can crack this lineup.  If Conde leaves, Turner is ineligible and Campbell stays that probably puts Campbell and Swanson up the middle.  Maybe they leave Campbell at third, but he is a natural middle guy.  But this scenario would leave one position available.  Maybe in the worst scenario Campbell leaves too and there are two positions available.  We always seem to find one or two freshman position players that come in and make an immediate difference.

DH- If Coleman stays I think he matures a lot in this position and becomes a real asset here.  He obviously has great tools and I think he comes into his own next year.  Question is:  is he going to be content being a four year DH?  If he leaves I think we have a completely new face in the DH role - maybe and underclassman we haven't seen yet or an incoming freshman.  Outside chance Harvey or even Smith grow into this position but I think this is a long shot.

Overall - It looks like the outfield will be the same.  Wiel stays at first base. Swanson pushes to shortstop.  My guess is Campbell stays in the infield somewhere but you can tell Corbin does not share the love the rest of the world feels for Tyler.  My guess is Turner is done at Vanderbilt and this leaves one position open in the infield and I do not think Coleman or Rogers fill this position.  Look for an incoming freshman to be playing in the infield.  

In a worst case scenario we lose a couple of critical players that we were not counting on losing.  But this is unlikely.  I think our roster next year looks just as strong as this year and maybe stronger.  We have a lot of guys returning with another year under their belts and a CWS championship.  I really like our team for next year.  Obviously, repeating not only takes a great team but a lot of great breaks.  I think we will have the great team.  The great breaks are up to the baseball gods.
OK...sorry, but I just have to correct some of this.

Tyler Campbell - he cannot simply drop out of school and sign a free agent contract.  Upon entering a 4-year institution, he is not eligible for the draft or any entrance into professional baseball (outside of independent leagues) for 3 years.  He is not draft eligible as a "true" sophomore.  If he was a RS-sophomore, then yes, but he is not.  Can he "parlay" his CWS play into a free agent contract tomorrow?  Absolutely not.  In order to be eligible for free agency, a player must be available for the most recently completed draft and sign within 1 week of the immediately upcoming draft.  Campbell was not eligible to be drafted, therefore he is not eligible to be signed in any capacity by an MLB organization.  He could go to an independent league team, but that would be dumb.  Transferring and sitting out a year would also be conterproductive since he is eligible for next year's draft...and transfers in college baseball are very rare.
 
Ro Coleman - no way he transfers.  Why would he?  You say he won't win a spot in the IF because of his fielding.  How do any of us know how well he fields?  Additionally, nothing about his arm strength keeps him from playing the OF.  Tony Kemp played in LF for an entire season...and he doesn't have an arm either.  Even if he stays in the OF, he can DH next year and take over in LF when Reynolds moves to CF as a Junior.

Chirs Harvey - the guy is 1 year away from a Vanderbilt degree.  It doesn't make any sense for him to go to a DII school for one last attempt at getting drafted.  The opportunity cost is a Vandy degree...worth multiple hundred-thousands of dollars.

Sorry, but you're talking as if it's common for draft-eligible players who are not drafted and have NCAA eligibility left to just leave and sign free agent deals.  That happens so rarely that it's not even considered an option for most kids.  If you were not good enough to get drafted, why sign a FA deal and hope to make the rookie team when you can finish your degree and have another shot at getting drafted?  If a MLB organization has drafted you, you have a much higher probability to "stick".  This is an extremely rare occurrence and only used when the player has academic issues or a suspension that may keep them from returning to school.

Next year, I think our line-up looks like this: 
C: Ellison/Delay
1B: Wiel
2B: Coleman
SS:  Swanson
3B: Turner (or Campbell...reports were very specific that Turner was ineligible for the remainder of the tournament...I am not ruling him out)
OF:  Reynolds/Norwood/Wiseman
DH:  Harvey
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:12 PM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


Campbell got several opportunities to start, particularly last year, and, unfortunately, his fielding was sub-par. Couple that with the guys he was competing against for a position and that's why he hasn't played that much. Everyone always knew he was a good athlete. I'm glad he got a chance to show what he could do and, beyond his hitting at the CWS, I was very impressed with his fielding. It was obvious he had worked really hard on that phase of his game. I expect to see him at either 2nd or 3rd to open the season next year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:31 PM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


I would disagree on the catchers.  I felt that our catchers did well defensively, however, they need extensive wiork on their battting skills.
Beat Temple!





Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:33 PM

Re: Next Years Roster ?????? 


"Xavier Turner - His "unspecified violation" is apparently unspecified only to the Vanderbilt community.  It is common knowledge what the violation was and the violation comes with a one season suspension.  Violation was known before the CWS started, Corbin appealled the suspension and bought Xavier a couple of more games.  Suspension was upheld.  Do not know if there is any recourse to reduce the time of the suspension which would allow him to play all of some of next season."

If it is common knowledge, what is it?
Beat Temple!





Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >