Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

I have never been SO disappointed

Avatar

Posted: 2/21/2012 9:12 PM

I have never been SO disappointed 


That's all.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/21/2012 9:33 PM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


+1    disbelief
eetnbreeth4lr wrote: That's all.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/21/2012 10:21 PM

RE: I have never been SO disappointed 


The disheartening part about this is that this Lady Raider squad is a top team who should be competing for the top spot in the Big 12, but shot selection is hurting us on top of the fact we cannot put away a tough game. I said it in preseason, and I'll say it again, if the Lady Raiders do not make the NCAA tourney, the season will be marked as a disappointment. And I'm uncertain if I can back Curry to start from scratch once this year's juniors graduate.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 7:21 AM

RE: I have never been SO disappointed 



GunsUpDragon wrote: "The disheartening part about this is that this Lady Raider squad is a top team who should be competing for the top spot in the Big 12,"  and "the fact we cannot put away a tough game."
Those two statements pretty well sums it up...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 8:01 AM

RE: I have never been SO disappointed 


Now that I've slept, I feel a little more like talking about it.

There are two really big topics that really messed me up. The first is Hyde. Her attitude last night, as exemplified by her body language and face, really ticked me off. She was so intent on showboating and looking like the savior of the team. She pouted when she didn't get a pass she wanted, she shrugged her shoulders and arms when moving to an area of the floor where she didn't want to be, and she literally held the ball close to her at times when she should have passed or moved around. Really arrogant and egotistical attitude that didn't help the team at all. Yes, she did make a tremendous steal.

The other topic was when Curry sent out a team consisting of Baker, Battle, Nobles and (I'm sorry) two others I can't remember. Total lack of team work among them. No leadership on offense. And Curry left them there way too long before putting Morris and Smalls back in. When Mallard was hurt, a lot of comments were made "this is next years team". I sat there watching and thinking that exact thought.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 8:09 AM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


If you would have told me that Tech would lose to any of the other 3 teams left to play (A & M, OU or KSU) I wouldn't have been surprised.  But, I was shocked that Tech lost to KU since their star player is out the rest of the year and they have been getting bootstomped by other teams since then.

Will Tech make the WNIT?  Does anybody really care if they make the WNIT? 

Does Tech have the Currys under contract for 4 or 5 more years?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 8:19 AM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


Four more years.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 8:42 AM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


No excuse can fix it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 10:45 AM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


As many of you know I have been on board for the Currys since they were hired.  I am beginning to have serious reservations now.  The reality is that she got a new five year contract last year.  As some of you have stated a buy out prior to next season is very unlikely.  So it would appear they will be here for at least another year or two.  How this season has progressed thus far is really hard to believe.  It looks as if they will finish in the bottom four of the league.  A NWIT bid seems likely for post season play...interesting to see how that plays out.  We have had season tickets for around twenty years and plan to continue next season.  After that????
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 11:37 AM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 



smoushand wrote: If you would have told me that Tech would lose to any of the other 3 teams left to play (A & M, OU or KSU) I wouldn't have been surprised.  But, I was shocked that Tech lost to KU since their star player is out the rest of the year and they have been getting bootstomped by other teams since then.

Will Tech make the WNIT?  Does anybody really care if they make the WNIT? 

Does Tech have the Currys under contract for 4 or 5 more years?
Four more years with $3 mil left on contract but buyout for Tech would be only $1.2 mil at end of this year $900 k at end of next year, $600 k the next. IMO, they're here one more year and if things don't improve, expect a buyout.

"Good players are more important than good plays." - Kliff Kingsbury
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 12:05 PM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 



hampshire wrote:
smoushand wrote: If you would have told me that Tech would lose to any of the other 3 teams left to play (A & M, OU or KSU) I wouldn't have been surprised.  But, I was shocked that Tech lost to KU since their star player is out the rest of the year and they have been getting bootstomped by other teams since then.

Will Tech make the WNIT?  Does anybody really care if they make the WNIT? 

Does Tech have the Currys under contract for 4 or 5 more years?
Four more years with $3 mil left on contract but buyout for Tech would be only $1.2 mil at end of this year $900 k at end of next year, $600 k the next. IMO, they're here one more year and if things don't improve, expect a buyout.
Seems reasonable.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 1:44 PM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 



smoushand wrote: Will Tech make the WNIT?  Does anybody really care if they make the WNIT? 

Yes, the Lady Raiders will make the WNIT, which would be very disappointing. I will care, but I won't expect much of the appearance, because we simply cannot put away remain consistent in putting away tough games.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 2:00 PM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 



amarillotechsan wrote: As many of you know I have been on board for the Currys since they were hired.  I am beginning to have serious reservations now.  The reality is that she got a new five year contract last year.  As some of you have stated a buy out prior to next season is very unlikely.  So it would appear they will be here for at least another year or two.  How this season has progressed thus far is really hard to believe.  It looks as if they will finish in the bottom four of the league.  A NWIT bid seems likely for post season play...interesting to see how that plays out.  We have had season tickets for around twenty years and plan to continue next season.  After that????
I appreciate and respect your opinions. It's clear that you are a strong supporter of the program and attend games come hello high water. wink I agree with your current position. I think the same thing got us at the same time. 
Anyway, I think its Curry's job to figure out her own weaknesses, and the weaknesses on her staff. She gets paid enough to buy some professional help using her own money, at least to get some objective help sorting out her personal weaknesses. Then get staff that is strong in those weak areas and let them run the part of the program that they are best at, whether recruiting, training, game time decisions, game planning (which I think she is strong at)- what ever it takes--get the people there to do the things she doesn't do well. It may mean firing her husband or her friend, whatever it takes get the people who can fill the holes. 
Maybe we don't have any holes, but I think she's betting her job on it and some objective analysis is in her best interest.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 2:47 PM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


The appreciation and respect is mutual navajo.  You make some excellent observations regarding getting some "objective analysis".
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 2:59 PM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


Curry has had more than enough time to turn this program around. She hasn't gotten the job done, for whatever reason or reasons.

Gerald Myers once said something to the effect (when firing James Dickey), that "we didn't build the United Spirit Arena to finish last". The same attitude should apply to the women's program, if anybody in the AD's office still cares.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 3:17 PM

RE: I have never been SO disappointed 


tramp73, ironically, Gerald Myers is the one who encouraged Tech to extend Kristy's contract. She was a favorite of his that he defended because he caught plenty of heat for replacing Marsha with her. I think he had a hard time looking at her objectively. When the Lady Raiders made the NCAA tourney last year, he felt vindicated for his choice, and gave her the extension as a parting gift or whatever you want to call it.

IMO, that extension to Kristy made less sense than his original hire of Pat Knight. Pat Knight, on paper, had potential to be a younger version of one of the best coaches of all time. Kristy's tenure at Tech to that point was marginal, at best. Seemed like an almost unfair burden to leave the new AD with.

And now, we get the news that Lubbock and Tech will host an NCAA tourney next year. That's wonderful news on the surface, but it makes it almost impossible to consider a coaching change going into next year. We really need our senior-laden team to get in that tourney, and it's probably a safer bet to get there without changing coaching staffs.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 6:07 PM

RE: I have never been SO disappointed 


I just stagger at trying to comprehend the numbers on that contract. Are you kidding me? 1.2 mill to buy her out this year? 900K next year?

I feel like we are on an episode of The Office or something.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 6:39 PM

Re: I have never been SO disappointed 


Why colleges pay buyouts for coaches who fail is a mystery to me.  She should have enough gumption to admit she and her husband failed and just leave.  I know that won't happen but why shouldn't they JUST DO THE RIGHT THING?  We kept Sharp until the program was bogged down and here we go again.  ( I can't believe I'm saying this!)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2012 7:04 PM

RE: I have never been SO disappointed 



wtfan wrote: tramp73, ironically, Gerald Myers is the one who encouraged Tech to extend Kristy's contract. She was a favorite of his that he defended because he caught plenty of heat for replacing Marsha with her. I think he had a hard time looking at her objectively. When the Lady Raiders made the NCAA tourney last year, he felt vindicated for his choice, and gave her the extension as a parting gift or whatever you want to call it.

IMO, that extension to Kristy made less sense than his original hire of Pat Knight. Pat Knight, on paper, had potential to be a younger version of one of the best coaches of all time. Kristy's tenure at Tech to that point was marginal, at best. Seemed like an almost unfair burden to leave the new AD with.

And now, we get the news that Lubbock and Tech will host an NCAA tourney next year. That's wonderful news on the surface, but it makes it almost impossible to consider a coaching change going into next year. We really need our senior-laden team to get in that tourney, and it's probably a safer bet to get there without changing coaching staffs.
Yes, it is really ironic that our former AD, who does know basketball, failed so miserably in his last 2 basketball hires.

Don't know if anything made less sense than hiring Pat Knight though. Nepotism is rarely, if ever, a good policy.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/22/2012 7:13 PM

RE: I have never been SO disappointed 



wtfan wrote: tramp73, ironically, Gerald Myers is the one who encouraged Tech to extend Kristy's contract. She was a favorite of his that he defended because he caught plenty of heat for replacing Marsha with her. I think he had a hard time looking at her objectively. When the Lady Raiders made the NCAA tourney last year, he felt vindicated for his choice, and gave her the extension as a parting gift or whatever you want to call it.

IMO, that extension to Kristy made less sense than his original hire of Pat Knight. Pat Knight, on paper, had potential to be a younger version of one of the best coaches of all time. Kristy's tenure at Tech to that point was marginal, at best. Seemed like an almost unfair burden to leave the new AD with.

And now, we get the news that Lubbock and Tech will host an NCAA tourney next year. That's wonderful news on the surface, but it makes it almost impossible to consider a coaching change going into next year. We really need our senior-laden team to get in that tourney, and it's probably a safer bet to get there without changing coaching staffs.
You make some really good points.  I still think that anyone, in this case, meaning Curry, can turn things around if she is objective, or gets some objective help, as to where her short comings are. She's been given a ton of money, heck, be selfish, spend some on securing your future while you still can.  Given the scores this year, her only shortcoming could be game time decisions. She lost 6 (?) games by 6 pts or so. If that is your major problem then fire hubby and hire a great game time tactician and do what they say during the game. You can still act like you're making all those decisions. No general excels at everything.
But I have met subborn people who went down because they ignored objective criticism over and over, until the only thing that could happen was to fire them.  Generally, it doesn't have to be that way.
I'm hoping she's reading this little revolution going on over here and takes it to heart, gets help,  and makes the necessary adjustments.
Oh the other thing, Marsha was consulted in the hiring of Curry, so that the culture of Marsha could be carried forward by a compatible personality. I think that was a bad idea, not that Marsha isn't nice, not that she isn't a great role model, etc. etc.  BUT when you're getting a new coach, get the best coach to do the job, stop with the PC cake frosting, and don't be distracted by it. .

Last edited 2/22/2012 7:16 PM by navajobob

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >