Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

FSU loses potential WR starter to grades

Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:14 PM

FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:03 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


excited
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:08 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


He was suspended about a week ago.  He was projected to be their #3 or 4 receiver.  Jesus 'Bobo' Wilson, who was projected as #2 or 3 receiver, will likely be out for the game against us for his theft issue, but haven't heard anything deifinitive about that.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 5:10 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



smsedmc wrote: He was suspended about a week ago.  He was projected to be their #3 or 4 receiver.  Jesus 'Bobo' Wilson, who was projected as #2 or 3 receiver, will likely be out for the game against us for his theft issue, but haven't heard anything deifinitive about that.
excited
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 9:09 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


Yes what smsadmc said is correct.

Isaiah Thomas would not have been the starter but he would have been in the rotation.

Bobo was busted for joyriding a scooter but paid his restitution and the case was dismissed. The rumor mill says he sits out at least the OSU game and probably 2 more.

It's not a problem for us unless we get injuries early. The incoming freshman recruits are future stars and expect to get early playing time but we don't exactly want to force them into service against OSU in the opener.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 11:33 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


I know they are loaded but this guy was a stud and he will be missed.. I wonder what the odds are that Winston steals some more crab legs and is suspended for the OSU game ? cool
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 11:54 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



larrynole76 wrote: Yes what smsadmc said is correct.

Isaiah Thomas would not have been the starter but he would have been in the rotation.

Bobo was busted for joyriding a scooter but paid his restitution and the case was dismissed. The rumor mill says he sits out at least the OSU game and probably 2 more.

It's not a problem for us unless we get injuries early. The incoming freshman recruits are future stars and expect to get early playing time but we don't exactly want to force them into service against OSU in the opener.
Is that why you're giving a redshirt freshman QB snaps at receiver? Sounds like you're pretty thin to me?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/18/2014 1:04 AM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


You're talking about John Franklin. Yes probably there are some concerns at depth at WR. But I wouldn't read too much into that. He's not the only guy doing that. We have other guys taking reps at various positions. I think that's a Jimbo thing. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/18/2014 12:54 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



larrynole76 wrote: You're talking about John Franklin. Yes probably there are some concerns at depth at WR. But I wouldn't read too much into that. He's not the only guy doing that. We have other guys taking reps at various positions. I think that's a Jimbo thing. 
Some questions for you on the topic of WRs:

  • Is Rashad Greene eligible and healthy? If so, he seems your only proven WR.
  • Same with Marvin Bracy? Or did he go pro in track?
  • Does Nate Andrews play any at receiver, or is he permanently on defense now?
  • Jared Haggins was recruited as a 3-star safety/QB. Is he any good at WR?
  • Christian Greene seems to not have lived up to his recruiting hype? Is he any good?
  • Are Rudolph, Lane and Harrison learning quickly enough to play week one? Surely they're going to be pretty green at knowing the system and their routes. What have you heard for Dallas, not for deep into the season?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/18/2014 1:30 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



I think that some Nole guys are worried about the WR play...since Rashad is the only proven weapon....but Rashad has been very good. There is plenty of potential...but as Bowden always said..."potential means that they ain't done it yet".


...Rashad Greene will be playing...he is eligible. Has been FSU's top receiver for each of the last three years and will leave setting records.

...Marvin Bracy is not playing football...he is pro track.

...Scooter Haggins is a serviceable receiver...he has not been Winston's go-to guy...had 8 receptions last year for 108 yds

...Christian Greene and Scooter both got caught behind two guys now in the NFL...Rashad Greene, Kenny Shaw and Kelvin Benjamin took the majority of snaps....Jimbo did not rotate as much at WR last year as in the past. Christian hasn't shown us anything yet.

...The reports of Ermon Lane in fall practice are very good...Jimbo says that he will play. Rudolph has been going slow in fall practice...recovering from foot surgery.

"-Travis Rudolph practiced the entire practice today, and it was his third straight day of practice in pads that we've seen. Fisher said Rudolph is going to be a "heck of a player." He said FSU would remain cautious with Rudolph going forward.
"I really like what he's doing," Fisher said."

Kermit Whitfield wll get some snaps...and he is T. Hill fast.

Last edited 8/18/2014 1:37 PM by billybud

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/18/2014 1:33 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


And...FSU's tight end will be a weapon...

Nick OLeary...had 33 receptions for 557 yards and seven touchdowns...averaged 16.9 yards per catch – a mark that led all tight ends in the nation…his seven scores tied for the second-most by a tight end, nationally…....27 of 33 receptions went for a touchdown or a first down
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/18/2014 2:31 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



billybud wrote: And...FSU's tight end will be a weapon...

Nick OLeary...had 33 receptions for 557 yards and seven touchdowns...averaged 16.9 yards per catch – a mark that led all tight ends in the nation…his seven scores tied for the second-most by a tight end, nationally…....27 of 33 receptions went for a touchdown or a first down
yep
FSU has 17 different weapons every play
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/18/2014 3:32 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



soonerfanNOT wrote:
billybud wrote: And...FSU's tight end will be a weapon...

Nick OLeary...had 33 receptions for 557 yards and seven touchdowns...averaged 16.9 yards per catch – a mark that led all tight ends in the nation…his seven scores tied for the second-most by a tight end, nationally…....27 of 33 receptions went for a touchdown or a first down
yep
FSU has 17 different weapons every play
Only if you count all of Jameis' personalities....
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/18/2014 3:43 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



billybud wrote:

Kermit Whitfield wll get some snaps...and he is T. Hill fast. eek1
During his Junior year of high school, Kermit Whitley won the Florida state championship in the 200 m dash with a time of 20.96,

During his Junior year of high school, Tyreek Hill won the Georgia state championships in the 200 m dash with a time of 20,14. 

Hill would've been about 22 feet ahead of Whitley at the finish.

From ESPN:

“I think he’s a low 4.2 or 4.3 guy,” [Hills' college track coach] said of Hill’s 40 time. “If he catches the start right, he’s a 4.2 guy.”

Last edited 8/18/2014 3:46 PM by SouthTulsaPoke

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/18/2014 3:59 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


Kermit has run a 10.15 100 meter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SCmxpGpjo


JACKSONVILLE --
Jones senior Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield put himself next to Jeff Demps and Marvin Bracy as one of the fastest high school sprinters in Florida history with a 10.15 100m at the Bob Hayes Invitational in Jacksonville.

Whitfield's 100m time ranks as the fastest in the country this year. He followed that up with a 20.66 200m, which surprisingly, was only good enough for second as Stanton's Kendal Williams edged him with a 20.63. His time of 20.66 ranks as the fastest in Central Florida history.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news /article.html/content/news/articles/bhsn/2013/3/16 /jones_senior_levonte.html

Last edited 8/18/2014 4:03 PM by billybud

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/18/2014 4:02 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


Tyrek Hill ran a 10.19 100 meter....and Kermit a 10.15

Looks like Hill is faster on a longer sprint at 200 meters....
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/18/2014 9:58 PM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


I think BillyBud answered fairly accurately. Bracy is running track and Andrews is on defense.

We lost Kenny Shaw and Benjamin to the NFL. So that's 2 of out of the 3 rotation. Most teams have a rotation of 3 guys with a 4th coming along. Benjamin is huge loss. The incoming freshman are 4 or 5 star studs but need experience. C. Greene has potential but not produced. 

It's a fair question whether the freshman will be ready for Dallas. If 1 of the 3 steps up I think we'll be fine. I'm hearing they look good. But we won't know until we see a game.

Fortunately we have solid TE and RB's so it's not like we will live and die by the deep ball.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/19/2014 12:26 AM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



larrynole76 wrote: I think BillyBud answered fairly accurately. Bracy is running track and Andrews is on defense.

We lost Kenny Shaw and Benjamin to the NFL. So that's 2 of out of the 3 rotation. Most teams have a rotation of 3 guys with a 4th coming along. Benjamin is huge loss. The incoming freshman are 4 or 5 star studs but need experience. C. Greene has potential but not produced. 

It's a fair question whether the freshman will be ready for Dallas. If 1 of the 3 steps up I think we'll be fine. I'm hearing they look good. But we won't know until we see a game.

Fortunately we have solid TE and RB's so it's not like we will live and die by the deep ball.
I guess if you're going to be using talented, but inexperienced WRs then that somewhat negates our disadvantage of playing talented, but inexperienced DBs. I'm guessing that we're going to handle Nick O'Leary the same way we handled Jace Amaro of Texas Tech last year. Assign a LB hit him at the line and then to dog him wherever he goes. I would also guess that we'll put our best cover corner, Kevin Peterson on Greene whenever possible. After those two, i don't see that you have too much.

Last edited 8/19/2014 12:27 AM by SouthTulsaPoke

Reply | Quote
  • thatNole
  • Picking Up Speed
  • 18 posts this site

Posted: 8/19/2014 6:55 AM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 



Yes, Fisher has been known to ask guys to move who arent competing at their preferred position or have the tools to do better elsewhere. Franklin is a 6 foot QB with serious wheels (part of the champion 4x100 track team). WR position is his best bet to go pro, and we do need WRs now who understand the offense.

---------------------------------------------
--- SouthTulsaPoke wrote:


larrynole76 wrote: Yes what smsadmc said is correct.

Isaiah Thomas would not have been the starter but he would have been in the rotation.

Bobo was busted for joyriding a scooter but paid his restitution and the case was dismissed. The rumor mill says he sits out at least the OSU game and probably 2 more.

It's not a problem for us unless we get injuries early. The incoming freshman recruits are future stars and expect to get early playing time but we don't exactly want to force them into service against OSU in the opener.
Is that why you're giving a redshirt freshman QB snaps at receiver? Sounds like you're pretty thin to me?

---------------------------------------------

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/19/2014 7:11 AM

Re: FSU loses potential WR starter to grades 


Can't really tell about freshmen until the ball is snapped....and they actually play.


Lane and Rudolph and Harrison will be great receivers....but. like all true freshmen, it may take a while.

I have to agree that if this team has a weakness in the opening game, it would be at WR.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >