Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman

Posted: 8/15/2014 8:41 AM

Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 10:10 AM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


“He wants to be the starter right now,” [Kyle] Richardson said in a phone interview Thursday. “He doesn’t want to redshirt.” “I’d like to see him redshirt,” Richardson said. “My view is from the point where we see the bigger picture.”

Let's hope this does not become a problem.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last edited 8/15/2014 10:13 AM by RovertoSolo

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 10:25 AM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


Shockingly productive HS career.
D1 size out of the chute.
Good student, doesn't screw around much.
Already getting chatter for the starting spot.
WANTS to be the starter now.

I like Rudolph more and more.

As several have postulated, including myself, don't be surprised if JW plays vs FSU then we see Rudolph (maybe Garman as backup start taking over during the cupcake portion of the season. Good news is we have Miz State, UTSA, bye, Tech, ISU, and KU before we hit anyone with a pulse. That's a lot of real time football to get the offense settled.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 10:33 AM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 



OrangeTuono wrote: Shockingly productive HS career.
D1 size out of the chute.
Good student, doesn't screw around much.
Already getting chatter for the starting spot.
WANTS to be the starter now.

I like Rudolph more and more.

As several have postulated, including myself, don't be surprised if JW plays vs FSU then we see Rudolph (maybe Garman as backup start taking over during the cupcake portion of the season. Good news is we have Miz State, UTSA, bye, Tech, ISU, and KU before we hit anyone with a pulse. That's a lot of real time football to get the offense settled.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 11:25 AM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 





---------------------------------------------
--- O1kstat3 wrote:w

newsok.com/mason-rudolp...article/5217490

---------------------------------------------

Doesn't everyone want to start?

Sounds competitive to me
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2014 11:30 AM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


I bet 9 out of 10 freshmen on campus want to start this year. Most have big ego's & like recent bus schools grads, who think they should start in top tier with big company & lots of perks.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2014 12:13 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


his coach makes some pretty good points for why he should redshirt.  really hard to be the leader of a team when you are the youngest one on it, with the least amount of experience.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2014 12:23 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


I'm hoping Rudolph is the consistent beginning of having redshirted QB's for years to come.  That'll be a sign, imo, that we're at a point in the program where any freshman QB isn't as good as the upperclassmen we have on campus, which will mean we've got legit depth at QB.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 12:37 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 



jamesgarfield wrote: I'm hoping Rudolph is the consistent beginning of having redshirted QB's for years to come.  That'll be a sign, imo, that we're at a point in the program where any freshman QB isn't as good as the upperclassmen we have on campus, which will mean we've got legit depth at QB.
If even one of Monken's QB recruits were on the roster... Restocking the cupboard forces the coaches we do have in Stillwater this season into choices they wouldn't make in an ideal world.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2014 12:40 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


You're a broken record with the Monken stuff.
OrangeTuono wrote:
jamesgarfield wrote: I'm hoping Rudolph is the consistent beginning of having redshirted QB's for years to come.  That'll be a sign, imo, that we're at a point in the program where any freshman QB isn't as good as the upperclassmen we have on campus, which will mean we've got legit depth at QB.
If even one of Monken's QB recruits were on the roster... Restocking the cupboard forces the coaches we do have in Stillwater this season into choices they wouldn't make in an ideal world.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 1:04 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


Who'd want a Freshman QB that didn't want to start?

The nature of the position is that guys who play it want to start regardless of where they are on the learning curve.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 1:17 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 



OrangeTuono wrote:
jamesgarfield wrote: I'm hoping Rudolph is the consistent beginning of having redshirted QB's for years to come.  That'll be a sign, imo, that we're at a point in the program where any freshman QB isn't as good as the upperclassmen we have on campus, which will mean we've got legit depth at QB.
If even one of Monken's QB recruits were on the roster... Restocking the cupboard forces the coaches we do have in Stillwater this season into choices they wouldn't make in an ideal world.
Enough.
Reply | Quote
  • dnhall
  • Big 12 All-American
  • 658 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 1:29 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


The real test of character and team attitude will come if he isn't selected as the starter and isn't projected to play much this first year. When all you have done is excel as a quarterback and you beat out a senior at your high school to get the starting job you probably expect to do so again. The only problem with that is the quarterbacks he is competing against in college were also good players and in the case of J. W. highly sought after with successful programs. Here's hoping if he is successful and earns the nod he is that good and if he isn't tapped as the starter, he won't have a pity party just because he isn't named the man after a few weeks of practice.

I like the fact all positions are up for grabs and there isn't any grandfathering going on. However, I do believe that the coaching you receive and the repetitions you get by being here a few years should teach you more and allow you to function better than a true Freshman coming in from a high school. Good programs simply don't have those situations where there is a need to start a true freshman for a variety of reasons but first and foremost, it is because they recruit well and have quality players with more experience on their roster. Now if those quality players don't develop like they should have for whatever reason, then you could have a situation where the youngster is simply better and can earn the nod. We shall see how it plays out.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 2:30 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


Monken stole your girlfriend, right?
OrangeTuono wrote:
jamesgarfield wrote: I'm hoping Rudolph is the consistent beginning of having redshirted QB's for years to come.  That'll be a sign, imo, that we're at a point in the program where any freshman QB isn't as good as the upperclassmen we have on campus, which will mean we've got legit depth at QB.
If even one of Monken's QB recruits were on the roster... Restocking the cupboard forces the coaches we do have in Stillwater this season into choices they wouldn't make in an ideal world.
Can't win the Big XII? Join the SEC!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 2:38 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


Gumby, Kansas - Are we not restocking the QB cupboard?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 2:47 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 


Symptomatic of Gen-E
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2014 3:05 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 



OrangeTuono wrote: Gumby, Kansas - Are we not restocking the QB cupboard?
didn't Chelf play well enough to get a tryout with the Dolphins?  Wasn't JW a 4 star recruit?  Walsh has played some pretty good games in the opportunities he has had.  Our QB situation is not nearly as dire as you are presenting it as.  Is Walsh the next Weeden, no, perhaps not, but he is a good QB in his own rite.

Last edited 8/15/2014 3:06 PM by smsedmc

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 3:27 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 



smsedmc wrote:
OrangeTuono wrote: Gumby, Kansas - Are we not restocking the QB cupboard?
didn't Chelf play well enough to get a tryout with the Dolphins?  Wasn't JW a 4 star recruit?  Walsh has played some pretty good games in the opportunities he has had.  Our QB situation is not nearly as dire as you are presenting it as.  Is Walsh the next Weeden, no, perhaps not, but he is a good QB in his own rite.
You are the first to interject "dire". 

We are on the edge of being able to consistently redshirt incoming QB's (Garfield's post that I replied to) with the upper classmen Walsh and Garmin, plus the pipeline of recruits Yurcich is putting together with tFresh Rudolph and incoming Kolar.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 3:39 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 



OrangeTuono wrote:
smsedmc wrote:
OrangeTuono wrote: Gumby, Kansas - Are we not restocking the QB cupboard?
didn't Chelf play well enough to get a tryout with the Dolphins?  Wasn't JW a 4 star recruit?  Walsh has played some pretty good games in the opportunities he has had.  Our QB situation is not nearly as dire as you are presenting it as.  Is Walsh the next Weeden, no, perhaps not, but he is a good QB in his own rite.
You are the first to interject "dire". 

We are on the edge of being able to consistently redshirt incoming QB's (Garfield's post that I replied to) with the upper classmen Walsh and Garmin, plus the pipeline of recruits Yurcich is putting together with tFresh Rudolph and incoming Kolar.


That never works for too long.  

Great players don't want to go to a school where they have to wait 2-3-4 years to play.

Great players don't like waiting in line with 3 other guys, about as good as they are, to play.

Therefore, very good QB's leave very good programs all the time.  Thus, a very good program, at least from what I have noticed, generally fail to always stockpile and redshirt QB's.  

Sometimes, those QB's that leave just weren't that good.   Look at OU.  They've gotten lots of great big-name Qb's out of high schools and many of them left.    It's a dicey thing predicting how HS players will do in college.  

So colleges may succeed for a spell - like 3 or 4 years of doing the auto redshirt program,  but they eventually get caught in a vacuum due to defections to other schools, injuries and promotions to the NFL.

I'm not saying it's wrong to pursue that ideal situation, I'm just saying you'll never get to a permanent position of stockpiling and redshirting QB's,.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2014 3:41 PM

Re: Mason Rudolph wants to start as a freshman 



TrueAnalyst wrote:
OrangeTuono wrote:
smsedmc wrote:
OrangeTuono wrote: Gumby, Kansas - Are we not restocking the QB cupboard?
didn't Chelf play well enough to get a tryout with the Dolphins?  Wasn't JW a 4 star recruit?  Walsh has played some pretty good games in the opportunities he has had.  Our QB situation is not nearly as dire as you are presenting it as.  Is Walsh the next Weeden, no, perhaps not, but he is a good QB in his own rite.
You are the first to interject "dire". 

We are on the edge of being able to consistently redshirt incoming QB's (Garfield's post that I replied to) with the upper classmen Walsh and Garmin, plus the pipeline of recruits Yurcich is putting together with tFresh Rudolph and incoming Kolar.


That never works for too long.  

Great players don't want to go to a school where they have to wait 2-3-4 years to play.

Great players don't like waiting in line with 3 other guys, about as good as they are, to play.

Therefore, very good QB's leave very good programs all the time.  Thus, a very good program, at least from what I have noticed, generally fail to always stockpile and redshirt QB's.  

Sometimes, those QB's that leave just weren't that good.   Look at OU.  They've gotten lots of great big-name Qb's out of high schools and many of them left.    It's a dicey thing predicting how HS players will do in college.  

So colleges may succeed for a spell - like 3 or 4 years of doing the auto redshirt program,  but they eventually get caught in a vacuum due to defections to other schools, injuries and promotions to the NFL.

I'm not saying it's wrong to pursue that ideal situation, I'm just saying you'll never get to a permanent position of stockpiling and redshirting QB's,.
Please don't try to interject sanity into an unfounded rant, and that ranter will stop.  We've had enough of this.

Last edited 8/15/2014 3:43 PM by KansasPosse

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >