Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

new Cowboy baseball stadium ?

Posted: 6/3/2014 11:29 PM

new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


Will the success of this team help us get a new stadium any quicker?  I am in no way trying to take any publicity away from  what this team has accomplished, nor do I want this question to interfere in any way on the current team's focus, but I am just wondering what folks out there think.

I have not heard or read any speculation on this subject.   I am just curious.   Any comments?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 11:31 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 




It certainly will not hurt the situation.



How long did it take to build Alley P. after Gary Ward came aboard and how long did it take to get the lights after it was built?

APR opened on April 4, 1981. The lights were installed later that same year.  It was Gary Ward's fourth year. The Cowboys made their first appearance at CWS under Ward that year.  It was the third year the Cowboys won the Big 8 championship and the second year they won the tournament under Ward.

Let us hope that the new stadium with greet Josh Holliday and his Cowboys in his fourth year.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last edited 6/3/2014 11:52 PM by RovertoSolo

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 6:54 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


I hope they keep the name Allie Reynolds Stadium.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 7:17 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


The new baseball stadium:
- will be located just across McElroy from the new tennis complex
- will cost an estimated $40mm
- is awaiting an anchor donor which includes naming rights
Can't win the Big XII? Join the SEC!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 7:47 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


Something Something Stadium at Allie P. Reynolds Field

The third base coaching box should be named Gary Ward Third Base Coach's Box.

The third base bag or 3rd base line should be named after Robin Ventura: Robin Ventura 3rd Base or 3rd Base Line.

The right field wall should be named Pete  Incaviglia Right Field Fence.

The pitchers mound should be named Allie P. Mound, if the field is not named after him

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last edited 6/4/2014 7:59 AM by RovertoSolo

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 8:58 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 



curtcr wrote: Will the success of this team help us get a new stadium any quicker?  I am in no way trying to take any publicity away from  what this team has accomplished, nor do I want this question to interfere in any way on the current team's focus, but I am just wondering what folks out there think.

I have not heard or read any speculation on this subject.   I am just curious.   Any comments?
As you know the stadium is planned for 3200 seats with first class amenities and a concourse. But I am sure the current season was not encouraging as far as attendance. Given the fact many of our conference series had games with less than 1000 in attendance such sobering attendance numbers might cause a change in planning. Coach Holder doesn't have a firm number on what a new ballpark might cost. He has said $30 to $40 million but that is just a guess since he only has renderings in hand and no one has truly estimated the cost. To his credit he has been very proactive regarding baseball facilities. He has spent the necessary money to keep Allie P. in good condition. Around $900,000 was spent on a new clubhouse after Coach Holder was hired. And he has spent a lot of money on the field itself including improved drainage. Our grass field is probably the best in all of college baseball and is far better than many minor league fields. The things we lack at Allie P. are an impressive huge scoreboard with video board, first class rest rooms and concessions, and a more impressive entry to the ballpark with elaborate brick work which can make a ballpark look much bigger and impressive.

Given the fact the fans are not holding up their end of the deal by attending games in much larger numbers during the season it might cause Coach Holder to reevaluate where we stand with baseball. Far too many people only first attend a game in Tulsa or OKC or during regionals in Stillwater. Spending $30 million appears to be a waste of money right now since the big talking "we must have a big new stadium" crowd are people who are seldom seen in Stillwater during the regular season. For around $12 million Allie P. could be updated to a first class facility. That area was meant to be a parking garage, but I would not blame Coach Holder if he changed his mind, given the fact our so-called fans are no shows so often, even when we were having a special season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 9:03 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 



MrMcC wrote:
curtcr wrote: Will the success of this team help us get a new stadium any quicker?  I am in no way trying to take any publicity away from  what this team has accomplished, nor do I want this question to interfere in any way on the current team's focus, but I am just wondering what folks out there think.

I have not heard or read any speculation on this subject.   I am just curious.   Any comments?
As you know the stadium is planned for 3200 seats with first class amenities and a concourse. But I am sure the current season was not encouraging as far as attendance. Given the fact many of our conference series had games with less than 1000 in attendance such sobering attendance numbers might cause a change in planning. Coach Holder doesn't have a firm number on what a new ballpark might cost. He has said $30 to $40 million but that is just a guess since he only has renderings in hand and no one has truly estimated the cost. To his credit he has been very proactive regarding baseball facilities. He has spent the necessary money to keep Allie P. in good condition. Around $900,000 was spent on a new clubhouse after Coach Holder was hired. And he has spent a lot of money on the field itself including improved drainage. Our grass field is probably the best in all of college baseball and is far better than many minor league fields. The things we lack at Allie P. are an impressive huge scoreboard with video board, first class rest rooms and concessions, and a more impressive entry to the ballpark with elaborate brick work which can make a ballpark look much bigger and impressive.

Given the fact the fans are not holding up their end of the deal by attending games in much larger numbers during the season it might cause Coach Holder to reevaluate where we stand with baseball. Far too many people only first attend a game in Tulsa or OKC or during regionals in Stillwater. Spending $30 million appears to be a waste of money right now since the big talking "we must have a big new stadium" crowd are people who are seldom seen in Stillwater during the regular season. For around $12 million Allie P. could be updated to a first class facility. That area was meant to be a parking garage, but I would not blame Coach Holder if he changed his mind, given the fact our so-called fans are no shows so often, even when we were having a special season.
Put the parking garage some place else.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 9:59 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


Nothing less than 5,000 will work, like Ward always said the stadium should be built for hosting regionals period!

Factor in the new stadium will be selling beer and there will be a huge spike in attendance along with the program success. Hell, there will be a huge number if students attending just for that simple fact
Beer and baseball go together, you don't like that than don't go! It's big time college baseball not church!!
"For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead"

Last edited 6/4/2014 10:03 AM by AggieTruth

Reply | Quote
  • superpoke
  • Big 12 All-American
  • 785 posts this site

Posted: 6/4/2014 10:14 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 



MrMcC wrote:
curtcr wrote: Will the success of this team help us get a new stadium any quicker?  I am in no way trying to take any publicity away from  what this team has accomplished, nor do I want this question to interfere in any way on the current team's focus, but I am just wondering what folks out there think.

I have not heard or read any speculation on this subject.   I am just curious.   Any comments?
As you know the stadium is planned for 3200 seats with first class amenities and a concourse. But I am sure the current season was not encouraging as far as attendance. Given the fact many of our conference series had games with less than 1000 in attendance such sobering attendance numbers might cause a change in planning. Coach Holder doesn't have a firm number on what a new ballpark might cost. He has said $30 to $40 million but that is just a guess since he only has renderings in hand and no one has truly estimated the cost. To his credit he has been very proactive regarding baseball facilities. He has spent the necessary money to keep Allie P. in good condition. Around $900,000 was spent on a new clubhouse after Coach Holder was hired. And he has spent a lot of money on the field itself including improved drainage. Our grass field is probably the best in all of college baseball and is far better than many minor league fields. The things we lack at Allie P. are an impressive huge scoreboard with video board, first class rest rooms and concessions, and a more impressive entry to the ballpark with elaborate brick work which can make a ballpark look much bigger and impressive.

Given the fact the fans are not holding up their end of the deal by attending games in much larger numbers during the season it might cause Coach Holder to reevaluate where we stand with baseball. Far too many people only first attend a game in Tulsa or OKC or during regionals in Stillwater. Spending $30 million appears to be a waste of money right now since the big talking "we must have a big new stadium" crowd are people who are seldom seen in Stillwater during the regular season. For around $12 million Allie P. could be updated to a first class facility. That area was meant to be a parking garage, but I would not blame Coach Holder if he changed his mind, given the fact our so-called fans are no shows so often, even when we were having a special season.

1. Allie P. cannot be properly expanded in its current location. It is too close to the softball stadium, Stillwater Creek, Knoblock Street, and Bennett Hall. Plus, it doesn't just need a facade (which is a big expansion on its own) - no stadium gets built these days without suite-level seating. It also needs a new press box. Any facade that gets built also has to be able to support these upper-level structures.

2. The parking garage absolutely must exist for Bennett Hall residents.

3. I know you're passionate on this McC, and because of that, I know you know that the stadium needs built to host the postseason, not simply accommodate a regular-season crowd. Be mad about the attendance, but don't suggest that OSU shoot itself in the foot because of it.

On a related note, I really hope 3200 isn't the target capacity. That is too small to consistently host in the postseason.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 10:58 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


5,000 plus for new stadium and can we get some port-a-potties for tailgaters for the regional this weekend!
"For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 10:58 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


Why not 3200 with easy temp seating capability to raise us to 6400. Does that make sense? Bathrooms etc could be permanent maybe?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 10:59 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


There has been discussion related to hosting Regionals and Super Regional games to require seating capacity of 5000.  OSU would be smart to increase the seating capacity to 5000 even if some of it is temporary seating.

Wasn't there some discussion about having a joint effort with the City of Stillwater to have a A or AA semi pro team in Stillwater and the OSU baseball team and the semi pro team would use the same stadium?  This would be a team that would play similar teams in Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc so fans would drive to watch their teams away games.  Bellingham, WA has a similar team and they have good attendance at their games.
Carpe Diem, Dr. 1slowpoke, Ph.D., Origin of slowpoke: annoyingly stupid person, circa from 1848, Mensa Society Reject, Table Tennis Family Champion (2014)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 11:05 AM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


MrMcC said we had about 1000 for conference games.... wow - that sounds great to me.

For Stillwater?    wow.

(sincerely)
"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand."

from the “History of the Peloponnesian War” ca. 410 BC, Thucydides

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 12:22 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 



PokeFlyfisher wrote: I hope they keep the name Allie Reynolds Stadium.
I personally would like to see:

Gary Ward Field @ Allie P Reynolds Stadium

but it won't happen.....

the "naming rights" will be key to getting it built
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 12:23 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 



superpoke wrote:
MrMcC wrote:
curtcr wrote: Will the success of this team help us get a new stadium any quicker?  I am in no way trying to take any publicity away from  what this team has accomplished, nor do I want this question to interfere in any way on the current team's focus, but I am just wondering what folks out there think.

I have not heard or read any speculation on this subject.   I am just curious.   Any comments?
As you know the stadium is planned for 3200 seats with first class amenities and a concourse. But I am sure the current season was not encouraging as far as attendance. Given the fact many of our conference series had games with less than 1000 in attendance such sobering attendance numbers might cause a change in planning. Coach Holder doesn't have a firm number on what a new ballpark might cost. He has said $30 to $40 million but that is just a guess since he only has renderings in hand and no one has truly estimated the cost. To his credit he has been very proactive regarding baseball facilities. He has spent the necessary money to keep Allie P. in good condition. Around $900,000 was spent on a new clubhouse after Coach Holder was hired. And he has spent a lot of money on the field itself including improved drainage. Our grass field is probably the best in all of college baseball and is far better than many minor league fields. The things we lack at Allie P. are an impressive huge scoreboard with video board, first class rest rooms and concessions, and a more impressive entry to the ballpark with elaborate brick work which can make a ballpark look much bigger and impressive.

Given the fact the fans are not holding up their end of the deal by attending games in much larger numbers during the season it might cause Coach Holder to reevaluate where we stand with baseball. Far too many people only first attend a game in Tulsa or OKC or during regionals in Stillwater. Spending $30 million appears to be a waste of money right now since the big talking "we must have a big new stadium" crowd are people who are seldom seen in Stillwater during the regular season. For around $12 million Allie P. could be updated to a first class facility. That area was meant to be a parking garage, but I would not blame Coach Holder if he changed his mind, given the fact our so-called fans are no shows so often, even when we were having a special season.

1. Allie P. cannot be properly expanded in its current location. It is too close to the softball stadium, Stillwater Creek, Knoblock Street, and Bennett Hall. Plus, it doesn't just need a facade (which is a big expansion on its own) - no stadium gets built these days without suite-level seating. It also needs a new press box. Any facade that gets built also has to be able to support these upper-level structures.

2. The parking garage absolutely must exist for Bennett Hall residents.

3. I know you're passionate on this McC, and because of that, I know you know that the stadium needs built to host the postseason, not simply accommodate a regular-season crowd. Be mad about the attendance, but don't suggest that OSU shoot itself in the foot because of it.

On a related note, I really hope 3200 isn't the target capacity. That is too small to consistently host in the postseason.
There hasn't been a parking garage next to Bennett forever. So it obviously doesn't "absolutely must exist". Too close to the softball stadium is a good retort. So just put a new softball park where the new ballpark was going to go. That would open up the left field area beyond the fence and still leave room for some additional parking.

Current upper level structure in the current seating area in the main stands was designed in such a way that it could be torn down to the beams and designed any way any designer wants to design it. In other words you could have the first 7 rows we currently have on the third base side and build a concourse with seating raised above that level to accomodate an upper deck which could go all the way down the left field line.

The first year Frank was the coach Birdwell invited several us to see a design by Gary Sparks which would have cost only about $4 million back then and included suites and a new press box. It had a brick facade all around it. It was designed to seat over 4500 without any seats outside the left field fence. It can be done.

I have heard that one drawback to upgrading Allie P. is that the whole field needs to be raised about 1 foot. Not sure why, except maybe it is because of drainage concerns. If so, the softball stadium has to have the same problem, because the creek is directly adjacent to the current softball park.

The bottom line is that structurally Ward made sure future needs could be met. I've heard him fully describe the steel that supports the main stand seating. Parking for Bennett has never been a pressing concern for now well over 60 years. That argument doesn't wash. 

It would cost $12 million to make Allie P. first class. But it certainly can be done. For those who think we will ever see 2500 people for all 3 games of a weekend conference series the evidence says no, since we just witnessed a special season and the no show big talkers were no where to be found. Many of them said "get rid of Frank" and we'll start coming, but it didn't happen. Just more big talk.

Allie P. can be big time just like a new ballpark. But the program doesn't have as much to sell because of all the big talkers who are nothing more than no shows. And spending $30 million based on big talk that has been proven to be promises not kept is a lot of money. Let's see, $12 million on Allie P. plus $4 million on a new softball stadium is still $14 million less than the big talkers who can't keep promises and won't contribute a dime to supporting.

I welcome your comments and my comments aren't aimed specifically at you. I just wanted to correct what I know regarding some of what you posted.

Last edited 6/4/2014 12:25 PM by MrMcC

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 1:00 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


why put lipstick on a pig when you can have the field of dreams?

it's like the last argument about putting in an IPF bubble just to get it done -  but .. it would be one of the nicest bubbles around!!   lol

we'll be there soon enough.


McC - you commented about the good season and fans not showing up; but based on past analysis of basketball and football, there is a season lag in on field results and butts in the seats.   Oddly, it doesn't seem to directly correlate to the actual season at hand, but rather the fans expectations of the next season.
"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand."

from the “History of the Peloponnesian War” ca. 410 BC, Thucydides

Reply | Quote
  • superpoke
  • Big 12 All-American
  • 785 posts this site

Posted: 6/4/2014 3:30 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 



MrMcC wrote:

There hasn't been a parking garage next to Bennett forever. So it obviously doesn't "absolutely must exist". Too close to the softball stadium is a good retort. So just put a new softball park where the new ballpark was going to go. That would open up the left field area beyond the fence and still leave room for some additional parking.

Current upper level structure in the current seating area in the main stands was designed in such a way that it could be torn down to the beams and designed any way any designer wants to design it. In other words you could have the first 7 rows we currently have on the third base side and build a concourse with seating raised above that level to accomodate an upper deck which could go all the way down the left field line.

The first year Frank was the coach Birdwell invited several us to see a design by Gary Sparks which would have cost only about $4 million back then and included suites and a new press box. It had a brick facade all around it. It was designed to seat over 4500 without any seats outside the left field fence. It can be done.

I have heard that one drawback to upgrading Allie P. is that the whole field needs to be raised about 1 foot. Not sure why, except maybe it is because of drainage concerns. If so, the softball stadium has to have the same problem, because the creek is directly adjacent to the current softball park.

The bottom line is that structurally Ward made sure future needs could be met. I've heard him fully describe the steel that supports the main stand seating. Parking for Bennett has never been a pressing concern for now well over 60 years. That argument doesn't wash. 

It would cost $12 million to make Allie P. first class. But it certainly can be done. For those who think we will ever see 2500 people for all 3 games of a weekend conference series the evidence says no, since we just witnessed a special season and the no show big talkers were no where to be found. Many of them said "get rid of Frank" and we'll start coming, but it didn't happen. Just more big talk.

Allie P. can be big time just like a new ballpark. But the program doesn't have as much to sell because of all the big talkers who are nothing more than no shows. And spending $30 million based on big talk that has been proven to be promises not kept is a lot of money. Let's see, $12 million on Allie P. plus $4 million on a new softball stadium is still $14 million less than the big talkers who can't keep promises and won't contribute a dime to supporting.

I welcome your comments and my comments aren't aimed specifically at you. I just wanted to correct what I know regarding some of what you posted.

Bennett Hall parking was also a lot different before the Athletic Village project began. Remember, there used to be a very large parking lot where there are now football practice fields. The only parking for Bennett now, unless one is lucky enough to park between Bennett and Allie P., is the temporary lot across from the softball field that students have nicknamed "the rape lot" since it opened. Needless to say, there's a safety risk there, and the university is not fond of those.

The parking garage is supposed to replace the parking capacity that was lost because of the AV projects, both for Bennett residents and for gameday activities. Now, the gameday stuff is secondary, but the university is not going to create a permanent inconvenience (and safety risk) for students living in Bennett just to avoid moving the baseball field, nor will they close Bennett over it.

The softball stadium isn't even 15 years old (though I think it quickly became substandard after it was built). Allie P. is almost 35 years old. You and I both know what's going to get replaced in that scenario.

Maybe Allie P. could be brought up to snuff, sort of, for $12 million. That doesn't mean it should be. Is it going to be better for us to add what amounts to a lot of window-dressing there, or build a new park that actually can compete with what the elite stadiums of college baseball now offer?

I understand those who don't want the field to move because of history. Really, I do. But like someone on another site said, not even Yankee Stadium stayed standing when a new facility became the better option.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 3:30 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 



soonerfanNOT wrote:
PokeFlyfisher wrote: I hope they keep the name Allie Reynolds Stadium.
I personally would like to see:

Gary Ward Field @ Allie P Reynolds Stadium

but it won't happen.....

the "naming rights" will be key to getting it built
If the Creek Nation can be convinced to pony up the cash for the naming rights I would be willing to bet that a "Creek Nation Allie P. Reynolds Stadium" is in the realm of possibility.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 3:56 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


MrMcC  Every point you made is valid. But If the Boys continue to win in coming seasons. My guess is the fans will eventually show up. We need at least a major upgrade. It would really help recruiting.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 5:39 PM

Re: new Cowboy baseball stadium ? 


Almost everyone posting on this topic has valid points. I disagree on the notion of Bennett being a dorm forever. All housing will likely eventually be located closer together. Bennett is older than Allie P. and likely will itself be replaced by parking at some future date.

My main points pertain to the lack of fan support. Everyone who comes regularly to the games witnesses Josh looking up at the stands and from his comments on his radio show he has stated several times that a loyal fan base with butts in the seats of at least 2000 per game is an element of all big time baseball programs. Some Sunday conference games had no more than 500 in the stands. That is pathetic given the season we have had. And it isn't lost on the players or recruits. The ballpark was full on a free day during a football spring finale scrimmage. But the team played poorly. They knew the people in the stands weren't loyal supporters and were only in Stillwater for football. Truly pathetic that a free admission day leads to a packed ballpark full of over 2000 football fans who did not attend any other games except for maybe Tulsa, OKC, or the regionals.

The renderings for the new ballpark are impressive and even with 3200 permanent seats it has amenities that allow us to sell more than 3200 tickets for regionals. So quit all the talk about needing 5000 plus seats. We are making money off the current regionals and so far no more than 3400 butts in the seats were at the games. Seating capacity of Allie P. is 3803. 

I began the season with high hopes for a new ballpark but the no-show fans hugely disappointed the season ticket holders. Getting rid of Frank meant their promises were hollow. And now after two outstanding seasons they still aren't coming, So forget the lag argument being applicable. Either we regularly see a base of at least 2000 fans or we are jeopardizing the future of our baseball program which certainly appears very bright right now. Many really good young players are on the roster but if fans don't attend over the next couple of years it will be football first fans who will be to blame for our program not reaching the potential this coaching staff has set the foundation for.

And forget blaming Coach Holder. He brought us an outstanding coaching staff. Heck, we've had very good coaching staffs in the past after Ward with both Tom and Frank. And the fans basically never came during those years either. So it is a long-term trend. Josh has seen it before when he coached with his dad. And it is used against us in recruiting. Coach Holder has an outstanding plan but what happened this season with the lack of fan support and us being two wins away from Omaha has to make him think hard about trying to spend $30 million plus. We haven't found a large donor and our fans are a huge disappointment.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >