Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

I hope Gen. Holder was comfortable

Posted: 08/20/2014 9:37 AM

I hope Gen. Holder was comfortable 


You could book Southwest Airlines to St. Louis. I've done it from DC, quite nice. Runs about $800 today for the roundtrip.

Or you could do this: https://twitter.com/FOX2now/status/502121041649741824/photo/1

I wonder if you get pretzels on the government plane.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/20/2014 9:55 AM

Re: I hope Gen. Holder was comfortable 


Great line from one of the commenters: "I already feel safer (I live in DC, not St. Louis)"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 8:47 AM

FOX Is So Full of Crap 


a problem with the 24 hour news cycle is you have to say stuff all the time.  Whining about the expense of government officials flying big government planes is pathetic.  I am sure John bleeping Ashcroft and whatishisass Gonzalez and whatwhashername flew coach on Southwest Airlines all the time.  

FOX should do a story about a serious problem, the fact that members of congress don't have to pay postage for their official mail.  Or something like that.

our state of grace is gone.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 9:02 AM

Re: FOX Is So Full of Crap 



roscoemaynard wrote: a problem with the 24 hour news cycle is you have to say stuff all the time.  Whining about the expense of government officials flying big government planes is pathetic.  I am sure John bleeping Ashcroft and whatishisass Gonzalez and whatwhashername flew coach on Southwest Airlines all the time.  

FOX should do a story about a serious problem, the fact that members of congress don't have to pay postage for their official mail.  Or something like that.
Um, I think the photo was simply a photo, and no news story. And it was posted by the St Louis Fox affiliate to their twitter account, not by the Fox News Channel. Can't really judge the local's bias, as KTVU, an extremely liberal station, is the Fox affiliate in the Bay Area. Maybe they were exulting the coming of the savior to the Ferguson crisis.

Frankly, I don't care who flew in what before, seems like a colossal waste of money to fly a jet that big just for the AG. When I lived in Nashville years ago, I did appreciate Sen Fred Thompson flying commercial--saw him at the airport on several occasions. No staff in tow, either. . . .
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 9:03 AM

They used to. 



You are too young to remember.

All but a handful of government officials flew commercial. Almost all senators and members of Congress too.

Only the President, those in the Presidential line of succession,Generals and Admirals.

Kennedy assassination changed that somewhat, but not completely.

There remains a question whether all of this private jet travel is a necessity. Or is it just a part of the nomenclatura privilege?

Under these circumstances, the flight, not the aircraft, probably justified for the AG.

Last edited 08/21/2014 9:04 AM by vragazzi

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 9:30 AM

If FOX Is Full of Crap 



Then MSNBC is full of things unmentionable. Many, many things...      pirate

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 9:58 AM

Speaking of chartered flights and government officials..... 


Last edited 08/21/2014 9:59 AM by navy9t1

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 10:05 AM

Re: Speaking of chartered flights and government officials..... 



navy9t1 wrote: Wow. 

Chartered flights for Senator Rockefeller
Wow, who wrote this, Sarah Palin?

"That means Rockefeller goes home less often than nearly every other member of Congress, yet his total travel costs are among the highest, all despite representing a state that on a clear day can almost be seen from the Capitol dome."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 10:11 AM

Re: FOX Is So Full of Crap NO, YOU JUST STEPPED IN IT MR. FAIR 


& UNBALANCED...PLEASE TELL US WHOM YOU RELY ON FOR NEWS...MSNBC, CNN, OR AL JAZEERA?
"...I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on."

Jack Handy

Last edited 08/21/2014 10:13 AM by johnnyo53

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 11:03 AM

Re: Speaking of chartered flights and government officials..... 



Stanford connection.

His wife, Sharon Percy, graduated from Stanford. A contemporary, though I can't say I knew her.

Two of their children are Stanford grads.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 11:18 AM

W.Va., aviation, and a grown man almost crying 


I spent the summer of 1983 working for Sen. Don Nickles. He was 33 years old at the time, youngest republican ever elected to the senate. He was chairing a subcommittee hearing regarding deregulation of some sort. The republicans had the senate majority and Pres. Reagan was pretty much ascendant.

I don't remember the topic, but Sen. Jennings Randolph, an avid pilot who came to Congress in 1933 and had written the Civil Aeronautics Act, was decrying deregulation because after airline deregulation in 1978, there was no longer jet service in West by God Virginia.

I really thought he was going to cry.

Anyway, long live the free market!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 11:22 AM

Roscoe, here's why you're wrong 


Holder is AG. I am his client.

I fly for my clients from time to time. I don't charter a 757 and send my clients the bill. They would get upset. People who decry income inequality ought to take just a little time to think about living a tad more modestly.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 11:29 AM

Re: FOX Is So Full of Crap NO, YOU JUST STEPPED IN IT MR. FAIR 


you mostly Doc.  I haven't watched the news on television since 1983.  who watched the news on t.v.?  The answer is really old guys.

our state of grace is gone.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 11:36 AM

Re: Speaking of chartered flights and government officials..... 


some roommates (including a prominent football poster) and I lived on the same block as Rockefeller in DC.  the Rockefeller place was known as the Rocks; ours was aptly named Squalor.  Sen. Rockefeller used to walk his Lab through the neighborhood -- pretty approachable.  John Thompson was a neighbor too.  another set of neighbors were Moonies too who ended up moving to Iowa to follow their leader.  it was a very eclectic neighborhood.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 11:36 AM

Re: FOX Is So Full of Crap NO, YOU JUST STEPPED IN IT MR. FAIR 



roscoemaynard wrote: you mostly Doc.  I haven't watched the news on television since 1983.  who watched the news on t.v.?  The answer is really old guys.
+1 and LOL
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 11:37 AM

Well That Is Nice 


I don't care about what happened back in the day.  Crap has changed just a tad in the last few years.

Getting your underwear on too tight over the AG flying in a giant plane that Congress authorized the purchase of for some reason (we actually several of them) would seem to me to actually make sense, since we are his client, and therefore he and his staff can work on the fricking plane instead of sit there and watch a movie.  We own the plane anyway and presumably it is fully staffed at all times and therefore most of the operating costs are "sunk" anyway.  And so on and so forth.  

But hell, lets just park the giant thing and let the pilot and crew and security staff do "drills" all day to earn their paychecks. 

I'll say it again, whining about this is just silly.

our state of grace is gone.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 12:57 PM

Re: FOX Is So Full of Crap 



roscoemaynard wrote: a problem with the 24 hour news cycle is you have to say stuff all the time.  Whining about the expense of government officials flying big government planes is pathetic.  I am sure John bleeping Ashcroft and whatishisass Gonzalez and whatwhashername flew coach on Southwest Airlines all the time.  

FOX should do a story about a serious problem, the fact that members of congress don't have to pay postage for their official mail.  Or something like that.
Fox does.  All the time.  Like CNN and MSNBC they also do some BS stories.  Or perhaps you forgot all those stories back in the day about Bush daring to take a vacation.

"I pledge - on the souls of my grandchildren - that I will not be the one to break the peace that we have made today."

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 1:29 PM

Kerry had to fly United last week 


His aging plane broke down in a Hawaii and had to fly commercial on the last leg of his round-the-world trip.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 2:10 PM

Re: FOX Is So Full of Crap 


879 vacation days over 8 years, but who is counting?biggrin

McGrath still recalls John Adams taking 8 months off prepping for Y1.8K, but his favorite remains Silent Cal because he just wouldn't say if he was vacationing or not.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 4:08 PM

Re: Kerry had to fly United last week 



palcal wrote: His aging plane broke down in a Hawaii and had to fly commercial on the last leg of his round-the-world trip.

Why didn't he just swift boat back to California.

"I pledge - on the souls of my grandchildren - that I will not be the one to break the peace that we have made today."

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >