Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (1 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 8  Next >

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread

Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2012 6:10 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


NC State did much better than I expected at the Nittany Lion Open yesterday. Four wrestlers placed:

285 lbs.- Redshirting transfer Nick Gwiazdowski finished 1st
197 lbs.- Senior Karonne Jones finished 7th
165 lbs.- Junior Nigel Jones finished 5th
141 lbs.- Freshman Tyler Hunt finished 6th
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2012 9:38 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 



slickrick00 wrote: NC State did much better than I expected at the Nittany Lion Open yesterday. Four wrestlers placed:

285 lbs.- Redshirting transfer Nick Gwiazdowski finished 1st
197 lbs.- Senior Karonne Jones finished 7th
165 lbs.- Junior Nigel Jones finished 5th
141 lbs.- Freshman Tyler Hunt finished 6th

Not bad at all considering how strong the field was.  I think this will prove to be another great coaching hire by Debbie Yow.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2012 10:07 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 



rhNCSU wrote:
slickrick00 wrote: NC State did much better than I expected at the Nittany Lion Open yesterday. Four wrestlers placed:

285 lbs.- Redshirting transfer Nick Gwiazdowski finished 1st
197 lbs.- Senior Karonne Jones finished 7th
165 lbs.- Junior Nigel Jones finished 5th
141 lbs.- Freshman Tyler Hunt finished 6th

Not bad at all considering how strong the field was.  I think this will prove to be another great coaching hire by Debbie Yow.
I agree on it being a great hire.  They will struggle this year but should make up huge ground next year.  It will be exciting to see what develops moving forward.

Last edited 12/4/2012 10:23 AM by tmacerus

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2012 10:50 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Mark my words: If he stays healthy, Tyler Hunt will be an ACC champion in the not too distant future. Maybe even as a sophomore.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2012 7:54 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Does anyone know if Nereim wrestled?  Besides the HWT, I would have thought he was the best wrestler this year.
slickrick00 wrote: NC State did much better than I expected at the Nittany Lion Open yesterday. Four wrestlers placed:

285 lbs.- Redshirting transfer Nick Gwiazdowski finished 1st
197 lbs.- Senior Karonne Jones finished 7th
165 lbs.- Junior Nigel Jones finished 5th
141 lbs.- Freshman Tyler Hunt finished 6th
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2012 8:47 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Yes. Matt wrestled fairly well. I believe he went 3-2 in the tournament.
nbpack4 wrote: Does anyone know if Nereim wrestled?  Besides the HWT, I would have thought he was the best wrestler this year.
slickrick00 wrote: NC State did much better than I expected at the Nittany Lion Open yesterday. Four wrestlers placed:

285 lbs.- Redshirting transfer Nick Gwiazdowski finished 1st
197 lbs.- Senior Karonne Jones finished 7th
165 lbs.- Junior Nigel Jones finished 5th
141 lbs.- Freshman Tyler Hunt finished 6th
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2012 8:56 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Records so far this season (you can see how young this team really is):

- HWT - Nick Gwiazdowski (SO) 15-0 *Redshirting this season
- HWT - Mike Kosoy (FR) 8-8
- HWT - Josh Davis (SO) 3-6
- 197 - Karonne Jones (SR) 5-2
- 197 - Josh Lackey (FR) 3-6
- 184 - Brett Peltier (FR) 0-4
- 174 - Patrick Davis (FR) 6-6
- 174 - Steve Ramos (SO) 2-2
- 165 - Nijel Jones (JR) 12-4
- 165 - Ryan Fox (SO) 7-6
- 157 - Matt Nereim (JR) 5-4
- 157 - Mardel Gabriel (FR) 4-4
- 149 - Cohl Fulk (FR) 5-4
- 149 - Gabe Lavey (FR) 4-5
- 141 - Tyler Hunt (FR) 11-6
- 141 - Michael Avelar (FR) 3-3
- 133 - Sam Speno (FR) 5-4
- 133 - Patrick Hutton (FR) 0-3

Several of the newcomers have really impressed me. In the next couple of years we'll likely have ACC champions in multiple weight classes.

Last edited 12/16/2012 8:56 PM by slickrick00

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2012 9:07 PM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 



Riddickfield wrote: No one on the wrestling team was happy about their coach being fired and all of them were talking about transferring.

The new coach is leaps and bounds better than the old one. Not even remotely close. Huge upgrade. It will take time, but he will get it back to where Guzzo had it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2012 11:40 PM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Jordan was so enormously bad that it's definitely an upgrade.  Jordan was also a good recruiter, but so bad as a coach that many of his best wrestlers left quickly, I can only presume when they got to know Jordan better.  MD leaving will help, but if UVA and VT can slow down some, that will help State rise relatively...
wolfpacker1993 wrote:
Riddickfield wrote: No one on the wrestling team was happy about their coach being fired and all of them were talking about transferring.

The new coach is leaps and bounds better than the old one. Not even remotely close. Huge upgrade. It will take time, but he will get it back to where Guzzo had it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2012 11:45 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


both Gwiazdowski and Davis are SO, but it is a super young team.  Palma's name came up earlier in this thread, but I haven't seen any sign of him.  Does anyone know if he's injured but will wrestle later, or has given it up?
slickrick00 wrote: Records so far this season (you can see how young this team really is):

- HWT - Nick Gwiazdowski (FR) 15-0 *Redshirting this season
- HWT - Mike Kosoy (FR) 8-8
- HWT - Josh Davis (FR) 3-6
- 197 - Karonne Jones (SR) 5-2
- 197 - Josh Lackey (FR) 3-6
- 184 - Brett Peltier (FR) 0-4
- 174 - Patrick Davis (FR) 6-6
- 174 - Steve Ramos (SO) 2-2
- 165 - Nijel Jones (JR) 12-4
- 165 - Ryan Fox (SO) 7-6
- 157 - Matt Nereim (JR) 5-4
- 157 - Mardel Gabriel (FR) 4-4
- 149 - Cohl Fulk (FR) 5-4
- 149 - Gabe Lavey (FR) 4-5
- 141 - Tyler Hunt (FR) 11-6
- 141 - Michael Avelar (FR) 3-3
- 133 - Sam Speno (FR) 5-4
- 133 - Patrick Hutton (FR) 0-3

Several of the newcomers have really impressed me. In the next couple of years we'll likely have ACC champions in multiple weight classes.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:39 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Thanks for the heads up! Made the updae to sophomore. Good question about Eloheim. I was really excited to see what this staff might be able to do to help him improve but everyone has been dead silent about him. During the twitter chat they had a few weeks ago I asked Coach Pop what his impressions were of Palma. All he really said was that Palma was intense. To be honest I have no idea what's going on with Palma. Hope to see him out there soon but we're going to be fine at heavyweight longterm. This year, though, we'd likely have to rely on Mike Kosoy.
nbpack4 wrote: both Gwiazdowski and Davis are SO, but it is a super young team.  Palma's name came up earlier in this thread, but I haven't seen any sign of him.  Does anyone know if he's injured but will wrestle later, or has given it up?
slickrick00 wrote: Records so far this season (you can see how young this team really is):

- HWT - Nick Gwiazdowski (FR) 15-0 *Redshirting this season
- HWT - Mike Kosoy (FR) 8-8
- HWT - Josh Davis (FR) 3-6
- 197 - Karonne Jones (SR) 5-2
- 197 - Josh Lackey (FR) 3-6
- 184 - Brett Peltier (FR) 0-4
- 174 - Patrick Davis (FR) 6-6
- 174 - Steve Ramos (SO) 2-2
- 165 - Nijel Jones (JR) 12-4
- 165 - Ryan Fox (SO) 7-6
- 157 - Matt Nereim (JR) 5-4
- 157 - Mardel Gabriel (FR) 4-4
- 149 - Cohl Fulk (FR) 5-4
- 149 - Gabe Lavey (FR) 4-5
- 141 - Tyler Hunt (FR) 11-6
- 141 - Michael Avelar (FR) 3-3
- 133 - Sam Speno (FR) 5-4
- 133 - Patrick Hutton (FR) 0-3

Several of the newcomers have really impressed me. In the next couple of years we'll likely have ACC champions in multiple weight classes.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 10:30 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 



slickrick00 wrote: Thanks for the heads up! Made the updae to sophomore. Good question about Eloheim. I was really excited to see what this staff might be able to do to help him improve but everyone has been dead silent about him. During the twitter chat they had a few weeks ago I asked Coach Pop what his impressions were of Palma. All he really said was that Palma was intense. To be honest I have no idea what's going on with Palma. Hope to see him out there soon but we're going to be fine at heavyweight longterm. This year, though, we'd likely have to rely on Mike Kosoy.
nbpack4 wrote: both Gwiazdowski and Davis are SO, but it is a super young team.  Palma's name came up earlier in this thread, but I haven't seen any sign of him.  Does anyone know if he's injured but will wrestle later, or has given it up?
slickrick00 wrote: Records so far this season (you can see how young this team really is):

- HWT - Nick Gwiazdowski (FR) 15-0 *Redshirting this season
- HWT - Mike Kosoy (FR) 8-8
- HWT - Josh Davis (FR) 3-6
- 197 - Karonne Jones (SR) 5-2
- 197 - Josh Lackey (FR) 3-6
- 184 - Brett Peltier (FR) 0-4
- 174 - Patrick Davis (FR) 6-6
- 174 - Steve Ramos (SO) 2-2
- 165 - Nijel Jones (JR) 12-4
- 165 - Ryan Fox (SO) 7-6
- 157 - Matt Nereim (JR) 5-4
- 157 - Mardel Gabriel (FR) 4-4
- 149 - Cohl Fulk (FR) 5-4
- 149 - Gabe Lavey (FR) 4-5
- 141 - Tyler Hunt (FR) 11-6
- 141 - Michael Avelar (FR) 3-3
- 133 - Sam Speno (FR) 5-4
- 133 - Patrick Hutton (FR) 0-3

Several of the newcomers have really impressed me. In the next couple of years we'll likely have ACC champions in multiple weight classes.
I haven't seen Palma in any of the Pack Mentality videos or team pics put out this year by the staff but he is still listed on the roster.  Injury maybe or could be trying to transfer as Gwiazdowski will be taking over next year.  I know he has already used his redshirt but maybe he is willing to burn this year to be eligible somewhere else next year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 5:11 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Update from the Reno Tournament of Champions to come soon. NC State has represented well. I wasn't really expecting anything out of Coach's first team here in Raleigh but they've got some guys that might make a little noise in the ACC.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 8:55 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Results for Wolfpack wrestlers thus far tonight from the Reno Tournament of Champions event:

- HWT - Mike Kosoy (FR) 1-2
- 197 - Josh Lackey (FR) 0-2
- 184 - Brett Peltier (FR) 0-2
- 174 - Patrick Davis (FR) 3-2
- 165 - Nijel Jones (JR) 6-0 Placed 1st in the tournament
- 157 - Matt Nereim (JR) 2-2
- 157 - Mardel Gabriel (FR) 2-2
- 149 - Thomas Gantt (SO) 5-1 Placed third in the tournament
- 133 - Sam Speno (FR) 5-1 Placed third in the tournament

Last edited 12/17/2012 5:42 AM by slickrick00

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/17/2012 5:46 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Here's how things stand on the season after yesterday's tournament:

- HWT - Nick Gwiazdowski (SO) 15-0 *Redshirting this season
- HWT - Mike Kosoy (FR) 9-10
- HWT - Josh Davis (SO) 3-6
- 197 - Karonne Jones (SR) 5-2
- 197 - Josh Lackey (FR) 3-8
- 184 - Brett Peltier (FR) 0-6
- 174 - Patrick Davis (FR) 9-8
- 174 - Steve Ramos (SO) 2-2
- 165 - Nijel Jones (JR) 18-4
- 165 - Ryan Fox (SO) 7-6
- 157 - Matt Nereim (JR) 7-6
- 157 - Mardel Gabriel (FR) 6-6
- 149 - Thomas Gantt (SO) 5-1
- 149 - Cohl Fulk (FR) 5-4
- 149 - Gabe Lavey (FR) 4-5
- 141 - Tyler Hunt (FR) 11-6
- 141 - Michael Avelar (FR) 3-3
- 133 - Sam Speno (FR) 10-5
- 133 - Patrick Hutton (FR) 0-3
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/17/2012 5:58 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


NC State finished 8th out of 27 teams in the Reno Tournament of Champions yesterday. Very good early season tournament performance for this team. I can't stress enough what a great coaching job this staff is doing. Nijel Jones has improved tremendously under this coaching staff. He went 7-20 during his freshman season two years ago (though that record was skewed due to Coach Jordan having him compete outside of his natural weight class quite a bit). This season he is 18-4.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/17/2012 9:42 AM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Very impresive that Jones won the TOC
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/18/2012 11:12 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Nijel Jones is ranked # 17 in the nation in the latest edition of one of the site rankings.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/26/2012 9:29 AM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Good job Mr. Jones!  Go 'Pack!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/26/2012 1:29 PM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Good job Mr. Popolizio!
"God is good" - Russell Wilson
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/26/2012 1:33 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Jones is kicking himself right now losing that other tournament in the final seconds of the match.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/26/2012 3:07 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


I'm not sure that I've seen many collegiate wrestlers improve in 24 months as much as Nijel improved since his Freshman season. Night and day.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/26/2012 5:01 PM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Amazing what good coaching can do...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/26/2012 5:49 PM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Sounds as if things are really looking up for the Pack grapplers. Would love to see them become a powerhouse!! This new coach impreses me. Nice recruiting class too.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/26/2012 11:45 PM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


Are the rules for redshirting different for wrestling? I was just curious how that works since Gwiazdowski has wrestled it seems from the thread.

"May he who is highest serve best."
Robert Thibodeau
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/27/2012 1:30 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


You can wrestle unattached during a redshirt year.

9.8 Individual Season Record Form (ISRF)
9.8.1 Correct Use. Institutions are required to use the NCAA Individual
Season Record Form (ISRF) available only on the NWCA website. When
compiling a student-athlete’s win-loss record for the season, all matches
WR-74 Rule 9 / Weighing In, Medical Examinations and Record Form
against competitors who compete on intercollegiate teams at four-year,
degree-granting institutions and matches against competitors from two-year
institutions shall be counted.
All matches competed during the season as defined in the NCAA Bylaws
of the current NCAA Manual, including open or unattached competition,
must be listed. Unattached student-athletes must be listed with their college
affiliation (for example, Unattached State University). Matches shall not be
counted if the opponent is a student-athlete not listed on an institution’s roster,
a club-level student-athlete or an armed services student-athlete.
Matches wrestled against competitors listed on an institution’s roster when
the student-athlete is ineligible or redshirting at four-year, degree-granting
institutions shall be counted. However, the ineligible student-athlete shall not
count those matches wrestled during this period.
Should the student-athlete become eligible (e.g., remove his or her redshirt
status) at anytime during the season, matches wrestled while ineligible shall
count on the wrestler’s ISRF.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/1/2013 8:06 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


wrestling team competes January 1 in Southern Scuffle in Chattanooga, Tenn.

GoPack.com THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF NC STATE ATHLETICS has no information on the all day match

FB prediction (2010) 3-9, 1-7 (2011) 5-7, 2-6 (2012) 7-5, 4-4, (2013) 7-5, 4-4
MBB prediction: (2010-11) 21-9,10-6 (2011-12) 19-12, 7-9 (2012-13) 24-7,12-6


Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/1/2013 11:15 AM

Re: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


That's too bad...Go 'Pack anyway!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/1/2013 11:26 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 


My understanding is that this might be the best overall field of wrestlers of any tournament we've competed in yet. I'll try to give updates throughout the day:

165 lbs.- #23 Condon 6-5 defeats Ryan Fox (NC State) in double overtime.
141 lbs.- Michael Avelar (NC State) defeats Gillette of San Diego Sate 9-4.
149 lbs.- Lange of Minnesota defeats Cohl Fulk (NC State) 9-5.
149 lbs.- Thomas Gantt (NC State) defeats Rangell of Minnesota 7-5 with a nice late takedown.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/1/2013 11:29 AM

RE: 2012-2013 NC State Wrestling Thread 



slickrick00 wrote: My understanding is that this might be the best overall field of wrestlers of any tournament we've competed in yet. I'll try to give updates throughout the day:

165 lbs.- #23 Condon 6-5 defeats Ryan Fox (NC State) in double overtime.
141 lbs.- Michael Avelar (NC State) defeats Gillette of San Diego Sate 9-4.
149 lbs.- Lange of Minnesota defeats Cohl Fulk (NC State) 9-5.
149 lbs.- Thomas Gantt (NC State) defeats Rangell of Minnesota 7-5 with a nice late takedown.
thank you

this is what I could find by google Southern Scuffle

Tuesday, January 1st
7:45am- Weigh Ins and Skin Check
9:00 a.m. – Ticket Office Opens and Doors Open to the General Public. Buy Tickets Online
10:00am- Pigtails and 32 Man Championship (8 Mats, 180 matches approx. 340 Wrestlers)
1:30pm- Pigtail & 1st Round Consolation (8 Mats, 120 Matches approx.)
3:30pm- Round of 16 Championship (8 Mats, 80 Matches)
5:00pm- 2nd Round Consolation (8 Mats, 80 Matches)
6:30pm- Championship Quaterfinals (4 Mats, 40 Matches) and 3rd Round Consolation (4 mats, 40 Matches )

***Break down to 4 mats after Day 1***

Wednesday, January 2nd
7:45am- Weigh Ins and Skin Check
9:00 a.m. – Ticket Office Opens and Doors Open to the General Public. Buy Tickets Online
10:00am- 4th Round Consolation (4 Mats, 40 Matches)
12:00pm- Semifinals (2 Mats, 20 Matches) and Consolation Quarterfinals (2 Mats, 20 Matches)
2:00pm- Consolation Semifinals (4 mats, 20 Matches)

We will have a break prior to the finals around 3:00

6:00pm- Finals (1 Mat, 10 Matches), Medal Matches (3rd-8th Place) (3 mats, 30 Matches)


it does look like GoPack.com wrestling twitter is posting results

FB prediction (2010) 3-9, 1-7 (2011) 5-7, 2-6 (2012) 7-5, 4-4, (2013) 7-5, 4-4
MBB prediction: (2010-11) 21-9,10-6 (2011-12) 19-12, 7-9 (2012-13) 24-7,12-6


Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 8  Next >