Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Gray working out as a QB at Combine

Avatar

Posted: 2/24/2013 7:01 PM

Gray working out as a QB at Combine 


So apparently the people at the NFL wanted to see Gray work out at QB rather than WR/TE.
Shhh..... My Common Sense is Tingling. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/24/2013 7:32 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 


i'll be interested in seeing his #s

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/24/2013 7:38 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 



n8russell wrote: i'll be interested in seeing his #s
I turned it over to the NFL Network they're replaying the QB/WR/s work outs and heard Mike Mayock saying he likes guys like Gray and Klein but doesn't see them as QB's in the NFL.
Shhh..... My Common Sense is Tingling. 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/24/2013 7:43 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 


Gray will have a tough time making an NFL roster. Is he a physical freak? Yes, but obviously he won't make it as a QB. He is too slow and doesn't have the quickness to be a WR, and for both TE and WR, he really doesn't run great routes, and had a tough time getting seperation. Also, wasn't a great blocker. Will someone take a chance on him? Maybe. Will he develop into a star? I doubt it, but the only way he'll make a career in the league or just make a roster would be as a TE, and I think that's unlikely.

A Proud Minnesotan to the day I die

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/24/2013 7:49 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 



beast10 wrote: Gray will have a tough time making an NFL roster. Is he a physical freak? Yes, but obviously he won't make it as a QB. He is too slow and doesn't have the quickness to be a WR, and for both TE and WR, he really doesn't run great routes, and had a tough time getting seperation. Also, wasn't a great blocker. Will someone take a chance on him? Maybe. Will he develop into a star? I doubt it, but the only way he'll make a career in the league or just make a roster would be as a TE, and I think that's unlikely.
With the way the NFL is moving I think he could be a spread out pass catching TE a la Jimmy Graham.  Definitely not a blocking TE but I think with his athleticism a team will take a shot on him.  Get him in the weight room and see what he can bring to a team.
Shhh..... My Common Sense is Tingling. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/24/2013 9:55 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 


Well he seemed to impress at least the writer for the USAToday
MarQueis Gray, Minnesota: Gray initially was pegged for a position change by NFL scouts, but that opinion will be revisited after his combine performance. The strong-armed passer displayed uncanny accuracy on all his throws. Receivers were not forced to work hard to make catches; Gray placed the ball nicely in their hands. Gray had a few errant tosses but delivered much more than expected during his workout. The original plan of moving Gray from quarterback to tight end may be placed on hold for a while.
Shhh..... My Common Sense is Tingling. 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/25/2013 7:30 AM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 



Jonas2 wrote: Well he seemed to impress at least the writer for the USAToday
MarQueis Gray, Minnesota: Gray initially was pegged for a position change by NFL scouts, but that opinion will be revisited after his combine performance. The strong-armed passer displayed uncanny accuracy on all his throws. Receivers were not forced to work hard to make catches; Gray placed the ball nicely in their hands. Gray had a few errant tosses but delivered much more than expected during his workout. The original plan of moving Gray from quarterback to tight end may be placed on hold for a while.
wait until he gets guys coming at him that want to take his head off.  then they will see what we have seen over the last two years.

I like Gray, but feel he is wasted in a postition like QB.  But then again i am sitting here and dont get paid to make those decisions.

Good luck to him in all he tries to do.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/25/2013 2:51 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 



benthere2 wrote:
Jonas2 wrote: Well he seemed to impress at least the writer for the USAToday
MarQueis Gray, Minnesota: Gray initially was pegged for a position change by NFL scouts, but that opinion will be revisited after his combine performance. The strong-armed passer displayed uncanny accuracy on all his throws. Receivers were not forced to work hard to make catches; Gray placed the ball nicely in their hands. Gray had a few errant tosses but delivered much more than expected during his workout. The original plan of moving Gray from quarterback to tight end may be placed on hold for a while.
wait until he gets guys coming at him that want to take his head off.  then they will see what we have seen over the last two years.

I like Gray, but feel he is wasted in a postition like QB.  But then again i am sitting here and dont get paid to make those decisions.

Good luck to him in all he tries to do.
Remember when none of us thought Weber would last in the NFL? He's still working. We do tend to be hard on our QB's. I think with time and health Gray could be at least as good as Joe Webb though I don't suppose thats saying all that much. I guess what I'm saying is he's got a shot. Might not be a great one but its still darn impressive.
 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/25/2013 6:01 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 



Frod0 wrote:
benthere2 wrote:
Jonas2 wrote: Well he seemed to impress at least the writer for the USAToday
MarQueis Gray, Minnesota: Gray initially was pegged for a position change by NFL scouts, but that opinion will be revisited after his combine performance. The strong-armed passer displayed uncanny accuracy on all his throws. Receivers were not forced to work hard to make catches; Gray placed the ball nicely in their hands. Gray had a few errant tosses but delivered much more than expected during his workout. The original plan of moving Gray from quarterback to tight end may be placed on hold for a while.
wait until he gets guys coming at him that want to take his head off.  then they will see what we have seen over the last two years.

I like Gray, but feel he is wasted in a postition like QB.  But then again i am sitting here and dont get paid to make those decisions.

Good luck to him in all he tries to do.
Remember when none of us thought Weber would last in the NFL? He's still working. We do tend to be hard on our QB's. I think with time and health Gray could be at least as good as Joe Webb though I don't suppose thats saying all that much. I guess what I'm saying is he's got a shot. Might not be a great one but its still darn impressive.
right.

also, gray has been used as primarily ar a running guy. he got hit and took hits when running, which was quite a bit. if he can get comfortable in the pocket, the accuracy might come around.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/25/2013 6:16 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 



Frod0 wrote:
benthere2 wrote:
Jonas2 wrote: Well he seemed to impress at least the writer for the USAToday
MarQueis Gray, Minnesota: Gray initially was pegged for a position change by NFL scouts, but that opinion will be revisited after his combine performance. The strong-armed passer displayed uncanny accuracy on all his throws. Receivers were not forced to work hard to make catches; Gray placed the ball nicely in their hands. Gray had a few errant tosses but delivered much more than expected during his workout. The original plan of moving Gray from quarterback to tight end may be placed on hold for a while.
wait until he gets guys coming at him that want to take his head off.  then they will see what we have seen over the last two years.

I like Gray, but feel he is wasted in a postition like QB.  But then again i am sitting here and dont get paid to make those decisions.

Good luck to him in all he tries to do.
Remember when none of us thought Weber would last in the NFL? He's still working. We do tend to be hard on our QB's. I think with time and health Gray could be at least as good as Joe Webb though I don't suppose thats saying all that much. I guess what I'm saying is he's got a shot. Might not be a great one but its still darn impressive.
but remember Weber didnt have a running game or a OL and he had multiple OC's to deal with. 

gray had mulitple positions but he never got confortable playing QB.  now with a professional OL and a running game there are possibilities but it will be a long shot.

Plus has weber played in any games outside of preseason? 

Lost track of him this season after he left Denver(i think he left at least)
and yes he cashes a check one way or another fromthe sport he loves.

I just think gray waiting around to develope into a QB is not doing him justice.  maybe he cant be effective outside or at a wide TE but it seems a quicker way to playing time than behind 1st or 2nd round QB players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/27/2013 2:50 PM

Re: Gray working out as a QB at Combine 


Curious to see where he ends up. I don't think he is worth a draft pick, as he does not have an arm for QB, and he is not fast enough for WR...yet, he is extremely athletic, which may make a team take a chance on him late. I hope he goes in the draft, yet, I feel if he goes undrafted, he will end up with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent.
Reply | Quote