Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Big 10 hockey league?

Posted: 9/16/2010 12:22 PM

Big 10 hockey league? 


PSU just got an $88M donation to build a new hocket areana and go D1 in hockey.

That makes 6 BT D1 teams, which under NCAA rules means the BT could form a hockey league.

From what I read, PSU, OSU, Wis, MIch. and MSU all want a BT hockey league.  Minnesota does not.

Those against the BT hockey league believe it will ruin D1 hockey because the smaller schools will not be able to compete.

BTN very much wants the league.

Questions for the huddled masses:

1. Would you like to see a BT hockey league?

2. Has there been any serious discussion of IU going D1 in hockey?

3. In what facility does the IU team currently play?
Reply | Quote
  • jafo71
  • Freshman
  • 260 posts this site

Posted: 9/16/2010 12:38 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 


1. Would you like to see a BT hockey league?-Yes

2. Has there been any serious discussion of IU going D1 in hockey?-I haven't heard any talk.  While I live in Bton, that might not mean much.  Probably best to direct this question to JD 

3. In what facility does the IU team currently play? -Frank Southern Ice Arena.  See link below.

http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1497
http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1758
http://www.iuhockey.org/
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/16/2010 12:51 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 



jafo71 wrote: 1. Would you like to see a BT hockey league?-Yes

2. Has there been any serious discussion of IU going D1 in hockey?-I haven't heard any talk.  While I live in Bton, that might not mean much.  Probably best to direct this question to JD 

3. In what facility does the IU team currently play? -Frank Southern Ice Arena.  See link below.

http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1497
http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1758
http://www.iuhockey.org/
Thanks....doing a little checking, I see IU already has gone D1???  Could this be so? I don't remember reading anything about it.........
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/16/2010 1:16 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 



mushroomgod wrote:
jafo71 wrote: 1. Would you like to see a BT hockey league?-Yes

2. Has there been any serious discussion of IU going D1 in hockey?-I haven't heard any talk.  While I live in Bton, that might not mean much.  Probably best to direct this question to JD

3. In what facility does the IU team currently play? -Frank Southern Ice Arena.  See link below.

http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1497
http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1758
http://www.iuhockey.org/
Thanks....doing a little checking, I see IU already has gone D1???  Could this be so? I don't remember reading anything about it.........

IU went to D1 for club hockey. Non-scholarship sport, affiliated with IU by it's club status, and travels to play other universities in club play.

The Frank is NOT large enough to support a D1 NCAA big ten team, though I doubt many people would attend. Probably only students from Chicago and more northern areas would be interested. I used to coach/teach hockey classes during my time at IU
"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go"
~ GSH
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/16/2010 1:50 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 



huskybomb wrote:
mushroomgod wrote:
jafo71 wrote: 1. Would you like to see a BT hockey league?-Yes

2. Has there been any serious discussion of IU going D1 in hockey?-I haven't heard any talk.  While I live in Bton, that might not mean much.  Probably best to direct this question to JD

3. In what facility does the IU team currently play? -Frank Southern Ice Arena.  See link below.

http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1497
http://bloomington.in.gov/docu...ocument_id=1758
http://www.iuhockey.org/
Thanks....doing a little checking, I see IU already has gone D1???  Could this be so? I don't remember reading anything about it.........

IU went to D1 for club hockey. Non-scholarship sport, affiliated with IU by it's club status, and travels to play other universities in club play.

The Frank is NOT large enough to support a D1 NCAA big ten team, though I doubt many people would attend. Probably only students from Chicago and more northern areas would be interested. I used to coach/teach hockey classes during my time at IU
Thanks for the info.....looks like a real long-shot...unless someone can come up with an extra $90M or so like they did at PSU..........
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/17/2010 10:19 AM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 


I agree with HuskyBomb, in that I can't see a lot of support coming IU's way for a D-1 hockey program.

Having said that, speaking strictly from a fan's perspective, I would be in support of one.

There are three universities, along the front range here in Colorado with top notch hockey programs .... Colorado College, The Air Force Academy, and Denver University.... and arenas to match.

I've gone to many games over the years, and find the experience better than the NHL.

Denver University has won several national championships in hockey over the years. And CC always has a competitive team. In fact the rivalry between DU and CC is one of the best in all of college sports, IMO.

Currently Wisconsin and Minnesota are members of the WCHA (Western College Hockey Association), the same league that DU and CC are members.

I would love to see IU field a hockey team, and come to Colorado on a yearly basis.... but as I say, I really don't see it happening.

Last edited 9/17/2010 10:29 AM by milehiiu

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/17/2010 11:47 AM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 


College hockey games are a blast!

My wife and I took a winter get-away a few years back to Arizona and caught a Arizona vs Arizona St game. I believe they were (are?) D-1 Club Level. It was intense!!!!!!!

"One things for sure, EZBuckets is gonna suck!

PM me about the new 'Site'!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/17/2010 1:31 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 



Naturalhoosier wrote: College hockey games are a blast!

My wife and I took a winter get-away a few years back to Arizona and caught a Arizona vs Arizona St game. I believe they were (are?) D-1 Club Level. It was intense!!!!!!!
No kidding !

My wife and I went to a DU/CC game back when DU had the old wooded arena with the balconies, before the current magnificent Magness Arena. We had seats smack dab behind one of the goals, right on the glass.

The game was getting out of hand (score wise) late in the third period. DU was killing CC that night. All of a sudden these whole chickens started flying over our heads on to the ice from the balcony. Then the DU players started throwing the chickens back to the CC students in the balcony above our head. Back and forth and back and forth, until the officials put an end to it.

On the way out, my wife said to me : "what a waste of good whole friers!"

It was good fun,and no one got hurt.

Last edited 9/17/2010 1:32 PM by milehiiu

Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/17/2010 7:49 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 


I once went to a college hockey game at Wisconsin, and it was an awesome atmosphere. I for one would be in favor of a Big Ten hockey conference, and I'd love for Indiana to have a place in it.

There's been talk as of late of looking to build a replacement of Assembly Hall in the next 5-10 years, and that would be a great time to consider building a basketball/hockey combo arena, such as what they have in the Kohl Center up in Madison.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/17/2010 7:58 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 



HoosierLaw wrote:

There's been talk as of late of looking to build a replacement of Assembly Hall in the next 5-10 years, and that would be a great time to consider building a basketball/hockey combo arena, such as what they have in the Kohl Center up in Madison.
That's what they have at the Air Force Academy. In fact their's also includes a full football practice field along with an indoor track !
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/17/2010 8:27 PM

Re: Big 10 hockey league? 


guys I realize we are talking about wishes here, and I'd be first to say I wish IU had a NCAA hockey team, but unless they build the arena smack dab in the middle of campus (like on 10th where the track/soccer fields are) nobody will show up. Maybe a hundred or so, but nothing compared to the quality programs listed.

Hockey is just not big in Indiana, much less southern Indiana, but don't say that to the hockey nuts!
"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go"
~ GSH
Reply | Quote