Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 4  Next >

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games.

Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 5:52 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 



hoosiermatt wrote: You obviously didn't live in central Indiana during the mid-late 90s. The Pacers were THE team in town. The Colts were nothing.

I am one of those who lost interest after the brawl, but I'm starting to come back around a little bit. I went to a game earlier this year and those guys really play hard.

HOOSIERINNC wrote: no one goes, because no one cares about the nba any more (few ever did, as we all know).
This goes back to Hoosier2002's comment about Indy fans being fickle. Colts / Pacers bad = no fans.  Colts / Pacers compete for championships = fans.  It's really hard to argue that point given the attendance of both teams over the last 15 years or so...  But, it's pretty typical for most fan bases.

Even IU hoops experienced it a little the last few years.  I would say that IU hoops might take some of the glory away from the Pacers, but that doesn't explain why no one attended Colts games when they were bad, unless we can blame ND football...  Maybe having 2 historical powerhouses in the same state does hurt a little bit?!?
Jared Sullinger: "You walk off the floor, they hang an 'L' on you and your ears are ringing because the fans are so loud."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 6:06 PM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 



     Almost (if not every) game is on TV (in HD). Unless the seats are damn near courtside, it's not
     worth the hassle and $$ to go down to a game.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 6:11 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


I totally agree with your first paragraph. Fans in this state have always been college sports fans first. The pro teams have always had bandwagon support. But IU pretty much had consistent support during our down years... just like ND football even though they aren't what they used to be.

dankomite wrote:
hoosiermatt wrote: You obviously didn't live in central Indiana during the mid-late 90s. The Pacers were THE team in town. The Colts were nothing.

I am one of those who lost interest after the brawl, but I'm starting to come back around a little bit. I went to a game earlier this year and those guys really play hard.

HOOSIERINNC wrote: no one goes, because no one cares about the nba any more (few ever did, as we all know).
This goes back to Hoosier2002's comment about Indy fans being fickle. Colts / Pacers bad = no fans.  Colts / Pacers compete for championships = fans.  It's really hard to argue that point given the attendance of both teams over the last 15 years or so...  But, it's pretty typical for most fan bases.

Even IU hoops experienced it a little the last few years.  I would say that IU hoops might take some of the glory away from the Pacers, but that doesn't explain why no one attended Colts games when they were bad, unless we can blame ND football...  Maybe having 2 historical powerhouses in the same state does hurt a little bit?!?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 6:12 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 



hoosiermatt wrote: You obviously didn't live in central Indiana during the mid-late 90s. The Pacers were THE team in town. The Colts were nothing.

I am one of those who lost interest after the brawl, but I'm starting to come back around a little bit. I went to a game earlier this year and those guys really play hard.

HOOSIERINNC wrote: no one goes, because no one cares about the nba any more (few ever did, as we all know).
You are correct in my never living in central Indiana.  Grew up in The Region as a Bears fan.  Had some interest in the Bulls for awhile, but never have taken the nba seriously.  Left IN a number of years ago, spending time in MN, DC and now in NC (where I intend to stay).  No NBA here (Charlotte is the closest), and no one bemoans not having a team in the area.  Plenty of good college hoops, baseball and soccer to go around, and we do love our Hurricanes hockey.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 6:30 PM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


I drove down to the Pacers game against Boston this past Saturday and yeah there were a ton of empty seats for a Saturday night game especially since it was the Celtics (granted, Boston isn't playing well at all so far).  Myself, I do have half-season tickets for them.  I do think this team is exciting to watch and a very balanced team.  I think attendance will come around if they keep winning.  This is the ideal time for the Pacers to do very well since the Colts just had a really bad season.  But it just isn't going to turn around overnight.  

As far as the college versus pro ball argument, there isn't much use trying to convince one side to change opinions.  Some diehard NBA fans actually look down their nose at college basketball for being an inferior product so those type of feelings can go both ways.  Myself, I enjoy with college and pro.  noidea But the people who only like one or the other, they usually are well entrenched in those beliefs.  wink
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 7:27 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


people tend to well entrenched on a lot of topics lol

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 8:37 PM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


I'm with you on enjoying the college game and pro game, both have lots to offer, in different ways. Last season's NBA playoffs were excellent ball, hard fought games, fantastic skills. The NBA is on the way back to being really enjoyable.

Pacers have a heck of a young core, adding West and Hill to George (has the makings of an all-star), Granger, Collison, Hansbrough, Hibbert.  They're looking pretty solid right now, a 4 or 5 seed in the playoffs, probably, if they keep it up and avoid the injury bug.  Next season they'll probably add a top flight 2 guard, and/or maybe trade Granger and bring in a top flight 2 and another piece and slide George to the 3. Future looks pretty good for the P's, butts will hit the seats as they continue the climb.
bronkonagurski wrote: I drove down to the Pacers game against Boston this past Saturday and yeah there were a ton of empty seats for a Saturday night game especially since it was the Celtics (granted, Boston isn't playing well at all so far).  Myself, I do have half-season tickets for them.  I do think this team is exciting to watch and a very balanced team.  I think attendance will come around if they keep winning.  This is the ideal time for the Pacers to do very well since the Colts just had a really bad season.  But it just isn't going to turn around overnight.  

As far as the college versus pro ball argument, there isn't much use trying to convince one side to change opinions.  Some diehard NBA fans actually look down their nose at college basketball for being an inferior product so those type of feelings can go both ways.  Myself, I enjoy with college and pro.  noidea But the people who only like one or the other, they usually are well entrenched in those beliefs.  wink
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 8:46 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


Not even close? Would love to see you make a list.
IUHatHead wrote: Not even close.
MoyeMayhem wrote:
HOOSIERINNC wrote: no one goes, because no one cares about the nba any more (few ever did, as we all know).
These posts make me laugh...  Yes no one cares about the NBA, it only had $4.2 billion in revenues last year.  Basketball is the second most popular sport in the world, and it's not because people in Argentina want to see Duke play North Carolina.  It's because they want to see guys like Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, and D-Wade play in the NBA.  It's fine you don't like the NBA, but that puts you in a minority of people that enjoy basketball.  I kind of feel sorry for a basketball fan that doesn't enjoy the game at its highest level.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 8:55 PM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


Because the NBA regular season is about as relevant as the Queen of England is in global economics.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 9:21 PM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


I'm old and FoxSports has them all.

That said, I do enjoy this group.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 10:02 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


One deep playoff run and Bankers Life Fieldhoue will be filled up again the following year. Particularly with the Colts going through a "rebuliding" time, sports fans in the city will be hungry for a winner.

Obviously the brawl and the subsequent low-lifes that made up their roster (along with losing) had a lot to do with the huge fall off in fan support. I recall the highlight years of the Reggie Miller teams through the 90s...the Pacers were the most exciting, popular sport around here.

People are sloooowly starting to turn around with this new, young roster. I do think you'll see an uptick in support in the coming seasons. Heck, you can go to a game for like $5, so not really a reason to not catch a game here or there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 10:05 PM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


Attendance is already up 7% this year from last year. It's only gonna go up as the team keeps proving it's a winner.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 10:23 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


We are/were (indianapolis)the amateur sports capital in the world. EVen thou a lot of people on this board will argue but high school sports is king in indiana. Just this year by going to watch my HS I've watched kellon Thomas Ramey hollowell lyles Burgett Lands a nice 6'7 shooter for martinsville who's name escapes me. The point is the hot bed of talent and all the great games happening all the time will take some of the eyes off the pacers. Tech vs Cathedral tonight.
I agree with the fickle fans comment but I think it was more of the team that was on the floor in the past opposed to the record. The lockout didn't help either. These pacers will gain attendance all year but it's going to take time to fill up whatever the new named arena is called.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 10:50 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 



HOOSIERINNC wrote:
MoyeMayhem wrote:
Basketball is the second most popular sport in the world, and it's not because people in Argentina want to see Duke play North Carolina.  It's because they want to see guys like Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, and D-Wade play in the NBA.  It's fine you don't like the NBA, but that puts you in a minority of people that enjoy basketball.  I kind of feel sorry for a basketball fan that doesn't enjoy the game at its highest level.
Whatever you say Moye - you are obviously the know-it-all expert when it comes to basketball (including [by your definition] that game - whatever it is - they play in the nba).  But you don't need to feel sorry for me, or the vast number of friends of mine who love college basketball, but would not wast two seconds of their individual lives attending or tuning into an nba event.
Yep.  I like college basketball best, but prefer HS basketball to the NBA.  My daughter's in 8th grade....I'd much rather watch that then the NBA. And it's not from lack of exposure, dating back to Wilt and Bill R.

I feel sorry for basketball fans who don't have a solid college team to root for.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2012 10:58 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 



IUSwingman wrote: wouldn't it be safe to assume that people in other countries have better access to watching the nba than watching college?

More of a following doesn't necessarily make for a better product. could just be accessibility.
It's not accessibility-it's lack of emotional attachment.

If people don't have an emotional investment in a given team, they'll default to the "highest" level available.  Think of all the moron UK fans.....Also, a lot of "common" people feel uncomfortable rooting for a college team when they didn't go to college.  Knight kinda transcinded that when he was at IU.  The NFL, NBA, MLB  are marketed to the common schlep.....
Reply | Quote
  • rd726
  • Junior
  • 509 posts this site

Posted: 1/17/2012 11:03 PM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 



clarklb wrote:  .  .... its the NBA .....
There's your answer.

It wasn't too bad before Jordan, Malone, Robinson, Stockton, Olajuwon, 'Nique,  Bird, Magic, Doc, etc retired but SINCE ohlord

But..if I had to choose a form of "basketball" to watch I would watch the NBA over stuff like And1.  Would also watch NBA over womens, unless had a relative in it.

Give me college/HS anyday

Last edited 1/17/2012 11:12 PM by rd726

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2012 11:36 PM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 



mushroomgod wrote:
HOOSIERINNC wrote:
MoyeMayhem wrote: Basketball is the second most popular sport in the world, and it's not because people in Argentina want to see Duke play North Carolina.  It's because they want to see guys like Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, and D-Wade play in the NBA.  It's fine you don't like the NBA, but that puts you in a minority of people that enjoy basketball.  I kind of feel sorry for a basketball fan that doesn't enjoy the game at its highest level.
Whatever you say Moye - you are obviously the know-it-all expert when it comes to basketball (including [by your definition] that game - whatever it is - they play in the nba).  But you don't need to feel sorry for me, or the vast number of friends of mine who love college basketball, but would not wast two seconds of their individual lives attending or tuning into an nba event.
Yep.  I like college basketball best, but prefer HS basketball to the NBA.  My daughter's in 8th grade....I'd much rather watch that then the NBA. And it's not from lack of exposure, dating back to Wilt and Bill R.

I feel sorry for basketball fans who don't have a solid college team to root for.
I may have been a little harsh before... but at least I have a solid college team to root for.  biggrin

Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.

-Coach Knight
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/18/2012 12:08 AM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


Who are the pacers???
Murray st?? No thats the racers.

Without the excitment of a true upset, david vs goliath matchup where the underdog would only win 1/50 times. Without a student section, without a coach drawing up an offensive set and running set plays and being vital in the outcome of the game. And without unselfishness and true love of the game. Call me disinterested in NBA regular season basketball. Ill watch the last month as playoffs start.
"'I live life on the edge.' - Humpty Dumpty"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/18/2012 12:26 AM

RE: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


This is a horribly uninformed post.  There are only three teams in the NBA giving up over 100 points per game right now.  Comparing the scoring of the games is absolutely stupid because the NBA plays longer games with shorter shot clocks, of course there will be more points.  

If you're real draw to basketball is defense you are watching the wrong team in the state of Indiana this year...
BackyardHoosier wrote: Highest level hahaha you ever watch them play defense, score like 105 pts a game..get paid millions for playing half-ass..you can have highest level, I'll stick to mid- grade.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/18/2012 12:29 AM

Re: OT: Why doesnt anyone go to the Pacers' Games. 


So you are basically saying you don't like that in pro sports upsets happen a lot more and there is a lot more parity?  You also apparently didn't like watching Bob Knight's Indiana teams because you don't like the motion offense.  And btw, if the NBA is so selfish why do they get more assists per basket and have higher ATO ratios?  

How about I call you uninformed...
Corydonhoosier07 wrote: Who are the pacers???
Murray st?? No thats the racers.

Without the excitment of a true upset, david vs goliath matchup where the underdog would only win 1/50 times. Without a student section, without a coach drawing up an offensive set and running set plays and being vital in the outcome of the game. And without unselfishness and true love of the game. Call me disinterested in NBA regular season basketball. Ill watch the last month as playoffs start.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 4  Next >