Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

A few thoughts

Posted: 11/10/2012 3:42 PM

A few thoughts 


IU has a mental block playing against Wisconsin. The last few meetings have been horrendous beat downs and that definitely feeds that mental block we see IU display. It appeared our offense and defense started the game with zero focus, how could that be in a game where so much is riding on the line?

IU's offense is the team strength and they simply weren't focusing today, hence they didn't execute well. There was a stretch where Wisconsin was sitting on a 17-0 lead where our defense kept giving our offense the opportunity to score but they didn't. The long touchdown run immediately before halftime is a direct result from being on the field to long, nothing more, nothing less. If Coach Wilson's going to hang his hat on offense, then by golly they must be sharp, focused and execute at all times. Not having Tre Roberson REALLY hurt IU's chances today too. Early on when Wisconsin set the tone for the day, IU's offense really needed to counter punch and Tre would've given IU an excellent chance to stay in the game.

Defensively, IU's a work in progress. I tend to think Wisconsin plays out of their minds against Indiana because of their past success's against IU. Their Oline in particular usually plays their best game of the year against IU...Joey Galloway said as much. IU plays Wisconsin like they're in quick sand every year and it's frustrating because IU's a much better team than they display against the Badgers.

As bad as the defense was today, I still lay plenty of blame on the offense. The defense did buck up a few times and the offense would promptly go three and out. I'd like to see Wilson recruit another QB in this class, not sure if he will but it'd be prudent. Darius Latham should definitely commit to IU now, he'll be the number one DT next year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 4:00 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


Wisconsin plays "out of their mind" against Indiana because Indiana's glaring weakness is going against Wisconsin's strength.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 4:04 PM

Re: A few thoughts 



Badger2116 wrote: Wisconsin plays "out of their mind" against Indiana because Indiana's glaring weakness is going against Wisconsin's strength.
Wisconsin does play out of their mind against IU, they also get away with LOTS of handgrabbing that helps them gain three bills on the ground too. Had IU been able to counter punch at all, especially early on, it's a totally different ballgame. As I stated above, IU needed their starting QB to have a legit chance in this game. Roberson could've exposed Wisconsin's weaknesses the way they did IU.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 4:07 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


Yes, you're right.  Wisconsin has been cheating their way to 5 Big 10 Championships in 19 years.  eek1
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 4:11 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 4:59 PM

Re: A few thoughts 



badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
What's the difference? Pure and simple...........offensive and defensive lines. As good as your running backs are, I don't care who the QB is, I'll match IU's skill position players on both sides of the ball with UW's. However your lines, for now, are much more superior to ours. And as they say, most ftball games are won in the trenches.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 5:16 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


I think today's game really showed IU fans just how bad losing Roberson really was. Coffman and Sudfeld have had their moments and certainly done an admirable job given the situation. However, we not only weren't competitive with Wisconsin today without Tre but we would've never lost the games to Ball State, Navy and Michigan State with Roberson at QB. Roberson's injury has cost this team a bowl invite and possibly the turn around team of the year IMO. In financial terms Roberson's a million dollar loss.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 5:35 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


That's exactly my point. It didn't matter if Roberson played in today's game for IU. The outcome wouldn't have been much different. I also think your "for now" comment about our lines is beyond laughable. EDIT: on skill players - QB's sure, WR's sure, RB's - it's not even close. White would start for your team 10x over before anyone else. 

dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
What's the difference? Pure and simple...........offensive and defensive lines. As good as your running backs are, I don't care who the QB is, I'll match IU's skill position players on both sides of the ball with UW's. However your lines, for now, are much more superior to ours. And as they say, most ftball games are won in the trenches.

Last edited 11/10/2012 5:38 PM by badgerball2011

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/10/2012 10:20 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


A very disappointing loss primarily from the standpoint the team was much more capable than what was demonstrated on the field today.

Mindset and mental toughness were lacking let alone execution of the defensive and offensive game plans!

I am surprised by the "beat down" today but no time for this team to focus on the past - need to focus now on what is immediately ahead of them!
Reply | Quote
  • mbadger
  • Redshirt
  • 1 posts this site

Posted: 11/10/2012 10:43 PM

Re: A few thoughts 




---------------------------------------------
--- dbwheat wrote:


badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
What's the difference? Pure and simple...........offensive and defensive lines. As good as your running backs are, I don't care who the QB is, I'll match IU's skill position players on both sides of the ball with UW's. However your lines, for now, are much more superior to ours. And as they say, most ftball games are won in the trenches.

---------------------------------------------

Huge difference at the running back position as well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 1:47 AM

Re: A few thoughts 



badgerball2011 wrote: That's exactly my point. It didn't matter if Roberson played in today's game for IU. The outcome wouldn't have been much different. I also think your "for now" comment about our lines is beyond laughable. EDIT: on skill players - QB's sure, WR's sure, RB's - it's not even close. White would start for your team 10x over before anyone else. 

dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
What's the difference? Pure and simple...........offensive and defensive lines. As good as your running backs are, I don't care who the QB is, I'll match IU's skill position players on both sides of the ball with UW's. However your lines, for now, are much more superior to ours. And as they say, most ftball games are won in the trenches.
You have some great RBs. But as a "unit", your skill position players are no better than ours. The two lines, however is a totally different story. And why is the "for now" so laughable? Are you by chance old enough to remember Barry Alverez's first couple of years at UW? Are you implying that Wilson can't do that also? If so, you just keep thinking that.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 6:10 AM

Re: A few thoughts 



Badger2116 wrote: Wisconsin plays "out of their mind" against Indiana because Indiana's glaring weakness is going against Wisconsin's strength.
That's pretty much on the spot. I thought IU had a chance in this game, but it would have required IU's offense to match scores. I have IU as having 13 possessions of which IU managed 15 first downs, 8 punts and 3 turnovers. That kept one of the worst defenses in the country in rushing defense, on the field for nearly 40 minutes against a very potent ground and pound offense. Makes it easy to understand why our remaining schollies for next year seem reserved for D players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 8:44 AM

Re: A few thoughts 



badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.

I disagree with this point.  Wisconsin did a great job of shutting down any deep passing routes, as well as the run (however Indiana's running game lacks creativity and as for yesterday, attempts), but throughout the first half I saw numerous opportunities where Roberson would have capitalized on the ground.  Our QBs are good, and probably made us more competitive against OSU as you state, but yesterday would have been a great day for Roberson to have played with a more balanced attack.

Last edited 11/11/2012 8:10 PM by BrettofIndy

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 8:59 AM

Re: A few thoughts 


Our QB's were the proverbial "deer in headlights", heck, Sudfeld missed a WIDE OPEN Ted Bolser that would've been a huge first down. It was a 5-10 yard pass that he threw behind Bolser I believe and Bolser had some real estate to gain as there were not many defenders around. Indiana was awful on first down productivity too, making Wisconsin's defense look like world beaters.

This program is at a point right now where the team goes as the offense goes. If the offense lays a turd drive after drive, then that leaves our defense out on the field all day long. Offensively, I'd like to see some reverses thrown into the mix, it would've been a great play call yesterday to loosen their defense up a bit. IU's got some outstanding talent at WR to run reverses too, Litrell doesn't seem to run many though. I loved the play that allowed IU to convert the two point conversion against Ohio State that saw Cody Latimer take a reverse or end around in for the score. Latimer has so much speed that he simply outran OSU's defense on that play.

Make no mistake though, this team can play straight up with Penn State and Purdue, at least IMO. Penn State will obviously be the toughest matchup but our offense should move the ball on them. Our offense seems to run hot or cold based on our first down production.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 12:34 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


I can't believe I'm saying this but, I agree with all this. They just didn't have their head in the game. Wisconsin played like a Big Ten title game berth was up for grabs, IU played like a bunch of 3rd graders. The IU team we saw win against Illinois and Iowa didnt show up. Hopefully the seniors step up and they can pull off wins in the last 2 games and become bowl eligible. You do only have to win 6 to be eligible and 7 to be guaranteed a bowl right?
The toothbrush was invented in Kentucky. If it were invented anywhere else, it would be a teethbrush.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/11/2012 1:04 PM

Re: A few thoughts 



waylonjennings wrote:

Our QB's were the proverbial "deer in headlights", heck, Sudfeld missed a WIDE OPEN Ted Bolser that would've been a huge first down. It was a 5-10 yard pass that he threw behind Bolser I believe and Bolser had some real estate to gain as there were not many defenders around. Indiana was awful on first down productivity too, making Wisconsin's defense look like world beaters.

This program is at a point right now where the team goes as the offense goes. If the offense lays a turd drive after drive, then that leaves our defense out on the field all day long. Offensively, I'd like to see some reverses thrown into the mix, it would've been a great play call yesterday to loosen their defense up a bit. IU's got some outstanding talent at WR to run reverses too, Litrell doesn't seem to run many though. I loved the play that allowed IU to convert the two point conversion against Ohio State that saw Cody Latimer take a reverse or end around in for the score. Latimer has so much speed that he simply outran OSU's defense on that play.

Make no mistake though, this team can play straight up with Penn State and Purdue, at least IMO. Penn State will obviously be the toughest matchup but our offense should move the ball on them. Our offense seems to run hot or cold based on our first down production.

Well, I hope you're right about Penn State and Purdue, because this one showed we can't play straight up with Wisconsin, not on this day.  I have to agree with Coach Wilson's comments:

“It was a poor performance from us,” coach Kevin Wilson said. “They ran phenomenally well. We didn't play good D; we didn't play good O; we just kind of got spanked."

The defense was fresh when they gave up scoring drives of 69 yards on 8 plays on Wiscy's first possession, then 69 yards on 8 plays on Wiscy's second possession.  We had our best secondary defenders whiffing on Montee Ball and James White.  The D-line was manhandled all day.

In defense of the quarterbacks, while they were not sharp they were both playing in the 6th B1G game of their careers, so there is reason to hope for improvement.  A healthy Tre Roberson would undoubtedly have made a difference, but a difference of 7 touchdowns is not realistic.  Reality is a harsh taskmaster, however, and we got a good look of how far we would have to go to be effective against top tier B1G teams.  

We don't have enough lipstick to paint a straight face on this pig, much less a smile.  The best thing to do is work hard, recruit hard, and get better.  Penn State offers a chance to see if we just had a spectacularly bad day, or if we're just spectacularly bad.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 1:19 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


Like I said above, what I saw was a lack of mental toughness and focus on execution!

The athletes are talented enough to have made this game a contested one right down to the final drive but mentally they were not prepared on several fronts.

Each member of this team needs to truly believe they can win for starters. Obviously years of loosing and getting hammered by Wisconsin does not help.

Changing the mindset will evidently take longer than some of us anticipated.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 4:10 PM

Re: A few thoughts 



dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: That's exactly my point. It didn't matter if Roberson played in today's game for IU. The outcome wouldn't have been much different. I also think your "for now" comment about our lines is beyond laughable. EDIT: on skill players - QB's sure, WR's sure, RB's - it's not even close. White would start for your team 10x over before anyone else. 

dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
What's the difference? Pure and simple...........offensive and defensive lines. As good as your running backs are, I don't care who the QB is, I'll match IU's skill position players on both sides of the ball with UW's. However your lines, for now, are much more superior to ours. And as they say, most ftball games are won in the trenches.
You have some great RBs. But as a "unit", your skill position players are no better than ours. The two lines, however is a totally different story. And why is the "for now" so laughable? Are you by chance old enough to remember Barry Alverez's first couple of years at UW? Are you implying that Wilson can't do that also? If so, you just keep thinking that.
Disagree on the whole "unit" thing, but we won't agree on that. Your skill players can be better "overall" all you want, it doesn't matter when UW wins by 40 and 9 times in a row.

I am old enough to remember BA, what he did, and the first couple Rose Bowls. I'm not implying Wilson can't do that as well, I'm telling you he won't do it. If he gets anywhere close and has two successful seasons at IU he'll be out the door for something bigger. You have a much bigger program in state (ND) and another that is ahead of you historically speaking (PU) so it's much more difficult for IU and Wilson to pull this off than it was for BA.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 4:35 PM

Re: A few thoughts 



badgerball2011 wrote:
dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: That's exactly my point. It didn't matter if Roberson played in today's game for IU. The outcome wouldn't have been much different. I also think your "for now" comment about our lines is beyond laughable. EDIT: on skill players - QB's sure, WR's sure, RB's - it's not even close. White would start for your team 10x over before anyone else. 

dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
What's the difference? Pure and simple...........offensive and defensive lines. As good as your running backs are, I don't care who the QB is, I'll match IU's skill position players on both sides of the ball with UW's. However your lines, for now, are much more superior to ours. And as they say, most ftball games are won in the trenches.
You have some great RBs. But as a "unit", your skill position players are no better than ours. The two lines, however is a totally different story. And why is the "for now" so laughable? Are you by chance old enough to remember Barry Alverez's first couple of years at UW? Are you implying that Wilson can't do that also? If so, you just keep thinking that.
Disagree on the whole "unit" thing, but we won't agree on that. Your skill players can be better "overall" all you want, it doesn't matter when UW wins by 40 and 9 times in a row.

I am old enough to remember BA, what he did, and the first couple Rose Bowls. I'm not implying Wilson can't do that as well, I'm telling you he won't do it. If he gets anywhere close and has two successful seasons at IU he'll be out the door for something bigger. You have a much bigger program in state (ND) and another that is ahead of you historically speaking (PU) so it's much more difficult for IU and Wilson to pull this off than it was for BA.

I don't buy what you're trying to sell for a second. Looking at IU's current recruiting class, Wilson's attracting four star talent...something IU's program has lacked for a long time now. Wilson brings a hard nosed, demanding style to IU's program as well, again, something IU lacked under Lynch.

Notre Dame is a national program because of their history, very few programs can match or compete with Notre Dame. Purdue's a totally different subject, IU's recent all in commitment to football automatically levels the playing field with Purdue and will shortly see IU launch past Purdue in the pecking order. If IU stays serious and committed to building a winner in football, IU could race past several other programs in the Big Ten too. Few campuses in the country, let alone the Big Ten can match the IU experience. That's a recruiting advantage that is hard to trump.

If Wilson has a few strong seasons and bolts, then he will have put IU in a fairly strong position to attract a quality coach. I'd like to keep Wilson though and even though programs will be after him, I'd like to think he'll show a little loyalty to Fred Glass. Bottom line is this, you and every other Big Ten fan hope and pray IU stays down in football...it's crystal clear, we get it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/11/2012 4:45 PM

Re: A few thoughts 


Stick to basketball, football will never be any good at IU. I understand that you may be optimistic about your team but don't expect anyone outside of Indiana to take you serious when you talk about IU football.

---------------------------------------------
--- waylonjennings wrote:


badgerball2011 wrote:
dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: That's exactly my point. It didn't matter if Roberson played in today's game for IU. The outcome wouldn't have been much different. I also think your "for now" comment about our lines is beyond laughable. EDIT: on skill players - QB's sure, WR's sure, RB's - it's not even close. White would start for your team 10x over before anyone else. 

dbwheat wrote:
badgerball2011 wrote: Waylon - UW played with their 3rd string QB....I highly doubt Roberson would have made a difference today. IU played OSU tough with these QB's so what's the difference? Again, not Roberson.
What's the difference? Pure and simple...........offensive and defensive lines. As good as your running backs are, I don't care who the QB is, I'll match IU's skill position players on both sides of the ball with UW's. However your lines, for now, are much more superior to ours. And as they say, most ftball games are won in the trenches.
You have some great RBs. But as a "unit", your skill position players are no better than ours. The two lines, however is a totally different story. And why is the "for now" so laughable? Are you by chance old enough to remember Barry Alverez's first couple of years at UW? Are you implying that Wilson can't do that also? If so, you just keep thinking that.
Disagree on the whole "unit" thing, but we won't agree on that. Your skill players can be better "overall" all you want, it doesn't matter when UW wins by 40 and 9 times in a row.

I am old enough to remember BA, what he did, and the first couple Rose Bowls. I'm not implying Wilson can't do that as well, I'm telling you he won't do it. If he gets anywhere close and has two successful seasons at IU he'll be out the door for something bigger. You have a much bigger program in state (ND) and another that is ahead of you historically speaking (PU) so it's much more difficult for IU and Wilson to pull this off than it was for BA.

I don't buy what you're trying to sell for a second. Looking at IU's current recruiting class, Wilson's attracting four star talent...something IU's program has lacked for a long time now. Wilson brings a hard nosed, demanding style to IU's program as well, again, something IU lacked under Lynch.

Notre Dame is a national program because of their history, very few programs can match or compete with Notre Dame. Purdue's a totally different subject, IU's recent all in commitment to football automatically levels the playing field with Purdue and will shortly see IU launch past Purdue in the pecking order. If IU stays serious and committed to building a winner in football, IU could race past several other programs in the Big Ten too. Few campuses in the country, let alone the Big Ten can match the IU experience. That's a recruiting advantage that is hard to trump.

If Wilson has a few strong seasons and bolts, then he will have put IU in a fairly strong position to attract a quality coach. I'd like to keep Wilson though and even though programs will be after him, I'd like to think he'll show a little loyalty to Fred Glass. Bottom line is this, you and every other Big Ten fan hope and pray IU stays down in football...it's crystal clear, we get it.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote