Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >

Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office

Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 10:40 AM

Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (1 vote)


Photobucket
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 10:45 AM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office 


Photobucket
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 10:47 AM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office 


Sounds like it's five years from affecting anything given the appeals process.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 10:53 AM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office 


So I wonder if they'll go to the generic "Redhawks" or "Warhawks" as some other former Redskins teams have done, in order to keep similar looking colors and logos.


CatFansince73: Louisville could sign three quarterbacks like Teddy Bridgewater and still lose to UK by two or three touchdowns next year. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 11:01 AM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (10 votes)


Ah censorship, gotta love it. Next the FCC won't allow any Redskins games to be broadcast on network TV to avoid offending someone who isn't watching anyway.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 11:19 AM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (4 votes)


The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 11:45 AM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (11 votes)



Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 11:54 AM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (11 votes)


Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek

I don't care for the Washington Redskins at all being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan; but I do think if where named the Black skins or White skins it would the same if not FASTER removal.noidea
FLossY out...

Last edited 6/18/2014 11:55 AM by hrflossy

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:00 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (6 votes)





---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
Reply | Quote
  • cd1875
  • All-American
  • Rating: 3.8/5 this site
  • 6034 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:12 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (4 votes)



LivebytheBlitz wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
I'm sorry but I'm much more concerned about innocent people being tortured and murdered in mass by ISIS in Iraq and the absolutely dreadful US economy than someone offended by a sports team name.  But hey congrats on getting a sports team name changed.  I'm sure that will improve a lot of Native Americans day to day living conditions.

Last edited 6/18/2014 12:13 PM by cd1875

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:18 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (2 votes)



LivebytheBlitz wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
Congrats on taking the melodrama to a new height. Dan Snyder's organization is now actively working against the Native American population folks.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:18 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (13 votes)


I am of native American descent and don't find the term offensive at all.  As a matter of fact I am proud for my heritage when a team - FSU, Washington Redskins, etc. - adopts an American Indian theme.  The reality is most American Indians are not offended in the least, and the backlash is coming primarily from the overly sensitive fringe and middle- to upper-class white snobs who are compensating for their own misplaced guilt for centuries of affluent white people crapping on minorities.  They should get over themselves already and do something productive, like fund education and jobs programs on the reservations instead of worrying about a stupid professional sports team.  
hrflossy wrote: Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:30 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (5 votes)



DemonSpawn wrote: I am of native American descent and don't find the term offensive at all.  As a matter of fact I am proud for my heritage when a team - FSU, Washington Redskins, etc. - adopts an American Indian theme.  The reality is most American Indians are not offended in the least, and the backlash is coming primarily from the overly sensitive fringe and middle- to upper-class white snobs who are compensating for their own misplaced guilt for centuries of affluent white people crapping on minorities.  They should get over themselves already and do something productive, like fund education and jobs programs on the reservations instead of worrying about a stupid professional sports team.  
hrflossy wrote: Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek


Funny all the Native American I know are offended but just are disenfranchised that ANYTHING would ever happen.noidea

...and you do know their is a big difference between a Seminole and a "Redskin"..?
FLossY out...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:31 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (1 vote)



cd1875 wrote:
 
I'm sorry but I'm much more concerned about innocent people being tortured and murdered in mass by ISIS in Iraq and the absolutely dreadful US economy than someone offended by a sports team name.  But hey congrats on getting a sports team name changed.  I'm sure that will improve a lot of Native Americans day to day living conditions.
You know we can walk and chew bubble gum,  right?eek1
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:34 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (2 votes)



hrflossy wrote: Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek

I don't care for the Washington Redskins at all being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan; but I do think if where named the Black skins or White skins it would the same if not FASTER removal.noidea
FLossY out...
So, it's your opinion the the original owners of the Redskins picked that name to mock Native Americans?
Reply | Quote
  • pcard
  • All-District
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 1313 posts this site

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:36 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (4 votes)


Redskin is not a racial color. It's is worse, as it refers to a scalping (killing) of an American Indian. "the reality is most American Indians are not offended". Really? Do you have a source? No you don't. Just because you are not offended and state that this is your heritage, does not make this statement a fact. Gotta love message boards
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:37 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office 



cd1875 wrote:
LivebytheBlitz wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
I'm sorry but I'm much more concerned about innocent people being tortured and murdered in mass by ISIS in Iraq and the absolutely dreadful US economy than someone offended by a sports team name.  But hey congrats on getting a sports team name changed.  I'm sure that will improve a lot of Native Americans day to day living conditions.
Really?  What do you think of the legacy of the Native Americans who were tortured and murdered en masse?

25 years from now, will it be okay for the victorious side in Iraq to name Baghdad's professional sports team a racist term for Kurds, Sunnis, Shiites, Jews, Christians, etc.?


CatFansince73: Louisville could sign three quarterbacks like Teddy Bridgewater and still lose to UK by two or three touchdowns next year. 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:40 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (2 votes)



CardinalZen wrote:
hrflossy wrote: Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek

I don't care for the Washington Redskins at all being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan; but I do think if where named the Black skins or White skins it would the same if not FASTER removal.noidea
FLossY out...
So, it's your opinion the the original owners of the Redskins picked that name to mock Native Americans?
Much like the Washington Bullets, The time has come for CHANGE.noidea
     

I don't know what the intentions of the original owners were.???
FlossY out...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:41 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (3 votes)


Yeah, who isn't.  About half the country claims some degree of Native American descent.  That is not the same thing as BEING a Native American.  I may have both native american and african american blood, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it's okay I'm not offended when I know darn well that slurs aren't directed at me in the first place.
DemonSpawn wrote: I am of native American descent and don't find the term offensive at all.  As a matter of fact I am proud for my heritage when a team - FSU, Washington Redskins, etc. - adopts an American Indian theme.  The reality is most American Indians are not offended in the least, and the backlash is coming primarily from the overly sensitive fringe and middle- to upper-class white snobs who are compensating for their own misplaced guilt for centuries of affluent white people crapping on minorities.  They should get over themselves already and do something productive, like fund education and jobs programs on the reservations instead of worrying about a stupid professional sports team.  
hrflossy wrote: Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek




CatFansince73: Louisville could sign three quarterbacks like Teddy Bridgewater and still lose to UK by two or three touchdowns next year. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:44 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (3 votes)



LivebytheBlitz wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
Every poll you care to look up shows it's only a fraction of the Native American community who disapprove.  In fact, many Native American sports teams proudly use the Redskin name. So, yeah, it's a heckler's veto.

Last edited 6/18/2014 12:45 PM by CardinalZen

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:51 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (4 votes)



pcard wrote: Redskin is not a racial color. It's is worse, as it refers to a scalping (killing) of an American Indian. "the reality is most American Indians are not offended". Really? Do you have a source? No you don't. Just because you are not offended and state that this is your heritage, does not make this statement a fact. Gotta love message boards
You mean like this one?

Now, you find a poll that backs up your opinion.

Last edited 6/18/2014 1:03 PM by CardinalZen

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:52 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (4 votes)


How about the Washington Redskin Potatoes.

 photo 652273d6-caff-40dd-9c56-5501d93369ce_zps59944fc9.png

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 12:54 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (1 vote)



CKYCardFan wrote:
cd1875 wrote:
LivebytheBlitz wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
I'm sorry but I'm much more concerned about innocent people being tortured and murdered in mass by ISIS in Iraq and the absolutely dreadful US economy than someone offended by a sports team name.  But hey congrats on getting a sports team name changed.  I'm sure that will improve a lot of Native Americans day to day living conditions.
Really?  What do you think of the legacy of the Native Americans who were tortured and murdered en masse?

25 years from now, will it be okay for the victorious side in Iraq to name Baghdad's professional sports team a racist term for Kurds, Sunnis, Shiites, Jews, Christians, etc.?
Your argument makes no sense.  Mascots are chosen to represent strength, bravery, solidarity, or some other virtue that the owner respects.  Can you find even one example where a team took a mascot name to ridicule the people or thing it represents?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 1:01 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (2 votes)



pcard wrote: Redskin is not a racial color. It's is worse, as it refers to a scalping (killing) of an American Indian. "the reality is most American Indians are not offended". Really? Do you have a source? No you don't. Just because you are not offended and state that this is your heritage, does not make this statement a fact. Gotta love message boards
Yeah I love how people pass things off as facts on message boards. Take your first couple sentences for example.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 1:06 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (2 votes)





---------------------------------------------
--- cd1875 wrote:


LivebytheBlitz wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
I'm sorry but I'm much more concerned about innocent people being tortured and murdered in mass by ISIS in Iraq and the absolutely dreadful US economy than someone offended by a sports team name.  But hey congrats on getting a sports team name changed.  I'm sure that will improve a lot of Native Americans day to day living conditions.

---------------------------------------------

And I'm sorry that you don't possess the mental faculties to be concerned about those issues and, *gasp*, also acknowledge the relevant issue in this topic.

I'll be sure to use your red herring the next time someone has the gall to be upset over issues I deem trivial. "How dare you tell me about your grandfather being diagnosed with cancer!! There are people in this world being tortured and sold into slavery, ergo you have no right to be upset about anything less important than that!!"

Last edited 6/18/2014 3:45 PM by LivebytheBlitz

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 1:08 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office 





---------------------------------------------
--- LouisVillain wrote:


LivebytheBlitz wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalZen wrote:


Rasta1 wrote: The Washington Redskins are idiots for letting this languish and go on so long. They will eventually lose and will have engendered poor public relations. The next thing to happen will be loss of sponsorships and I am surprised that the NFL hasn't been sued or have they?
Their defiance actually improves their public relations with me.  I don't believe in the heckler's veto.  And this is what is going on here.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, what? Do you consider it a heckler's veto because the population being offended is so small and has so little power? It's an obviously offensive name. Congrats on delighting in an organization's attempt to beat a group of people already short on luck further into submission for daring to be offended.
Congrats on taking the melodrama to a new height. Dan Snyder's organization is now actively working against the Native American population folks.

---------------------------------------------

We can always count on intelligent contributions from you :)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 1:09 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office 


You do know it was named after a group of indians that painted their faces red right?   More native americans are OK with it than against keeping the name.  I hope they keep it. 
hrflossy wrote: Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek

I don't care for the Washington Redskins at all being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan; but I do think if where named the Black skins or White skins it would the same if not FASTER removal.noidea
FLossY out...

Last edited 6/18/2014 1:13 PM by mdreyer

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 1:11 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (2 votes)


Exactly right. This is a prime example of white affluence generations removed from the source of wealth crusading to atone for the perceived sins of their fathers. They are too tone deaf to hear their paternalistic mewing in context when telling people how offended they should be by culture. They infantilize whoever their chosen victim class may be.


---------------------------------------------
--- DemonSpawn wrote:

I am of native American descent and don't find the term offensive at all.  As a matter of fact I am proud for my heritage when a team - FSU, Washington Redskins, etc. - adopts an American Indian theme.  The reality is most American Indians are not offended in the least, and the backlash is coming primarily from the overly sensitive fringe and middle- to upper-class white snobs who are compensating for their own misplaced guilt for centuries of affluent white people crapping on minorities.  They should get over themselves already and do something productive, like fund education and jobs programs on the reservations instead of worrying about a stupid professional sports team.  
hrflossy wrote: Well the term "Redskins" is EXTREMELY offensive if your of Native American decent.    A team directly named for a entire race's (stereotyped) skin tone!?!?!eekeek




---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
  • actfast
  • All-District
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 1377 posts this site

Posted: 6/18/2014 1:16 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (2 votes)


This is ridiculous.  Snyder should issue a two a sentence statement or press release:

"I agree with all the PC ninnies agitating for this team's name to be changed.  The new name for this team is the Los Angeles Redskins."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 1:20 PM

Re: Redskins Have Trademark Cancelled by U.S. Patent Office Post Rating (4 votes)


My heritage is German and French.
I will be offended if they change the name to the Washington Kraut Surrenderers

Last edited 6/18/2014 1:24 PM by snickerling

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >