Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >

PJCS Expansion

Posted: 6/22/2014 5:27 PM

PJCS Expansion 


A month or two ago, I got an email survey on what I would be willing to pay extra in the new stadium, if it was expanded.    It took about 10 minutes, lots of questions.   

Obviously, the AD Dept is doing due diligence and a feasibility study for the expansion.   

Has anyone heard about the feedback or any plans behind the scenes ?   Seems like it has been very quiet on that subject.   I have to think with all the ticket demands and pent up ticket demand out there, with a great home schedule, this is an opportune time to try and fund it and get early commitments from buyers for expansion.  

It seems that the Ticket Office is even running out of the upper deck seats and I would bet we have sold more season tickets this year than ever.

I have to think that we need about 12-15K, at least.   That would put us about 70K.



"We are on a collision course with a National Championship....the only variable is time."  

Schnellenberger-  1985

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/22/2014 5:30 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


I think they would probably start with 5K to 6K seats and see how that goes before going all the way to 70K. I think there is some need for seats, but I'm not sure how much right now.



I graduated from U of L, my wife graduated from U of L, my daughter graduated from U of L, my son is at U of L  . . . along with all of my money.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/22/2014 6:01 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 



uoflcardfan77 wrote: I think they would probably start with 5K to 6K seats and see how that goes before going all the way to 70K. I think there is some need for seats, but I'm not sure how much right now.
I doubt that. A good chunk of the cost is foundation costs and prep work. You don't want to put in a small foundation just to come back and put in a bigger one. 

I could see some semi-portable stands in the corners though in the interim for students, freeing up their sets to sell.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/22/2014 6:29 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


The 2010 expansion was from 42 to 55,000. I think it could be the around the same amount.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/22/2014 8:43 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


Well, we sold out of season tix the last couple of years, so yeah


---------------------------------------------
--- DaVille wrote:


It seems that the Ticket Office is even running out of the upper deck seats





---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/22/2014 8:44 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 



Agree.....there won't be a 5k addition. You don't get the bang for the buck

---------------------------------------------
--- souloucard wrote:

The 2010 expansion was from 42 to 55,000. I think it could be the around the same amount.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/22/2014 8:47 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


That survey didn't look like they were after the normal fan. On field boxes and just lots of questions that weren't catering to the normal fan and I still don't see how they think any of the question about raising ticket prices to support any new expansion would get many yes votes. I'm not for paying more for an expansion. It should pay for itself IMO.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/22/2014 8:58 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


I doubt ticket prices go up. They didn't last time

Usually a bulk of the cash comes from suites and sponsorships

I'm sure they're feeling out the demand for those. I'd say the first step is adding sections on the north end or enclosing that end

Then comes the upper deck on the west side
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/22/2014 10:38 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion Post Rating (1 vote)


I had to go down to the athletic office last week to get some forms signed and ran into an old high school buddy. He told me that UofL now has over a 4000 person waiting list for tickets. (and not those in the upper level corners either)
Each of those request needs between 2-8 tickets. So they are estimating that UofL is about 10,-13,000 tickets short right now. And he thinks it will explode to a much larger number once this season is over.
So according to him this expansion is all but guaranteed to happen.
They are trying to sort out a few details, he didn't give any specifics and then look for proper timing to make the announcement that will create the most buzz.
he was just guessing but thought October would seem about right.
MULEYAK 21
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/22/2014 11:11 PM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


UofL currently has $17.5M budgeted for PJCS football complex "expansion."
10M of it is for the Academic Center below the Party Deck.
The other 7.5M says just "Additional Information Coming Soon"

For reference...
Original Costruction: 64M
Adding the upper deck: 72M

So whatever the 7.5M is... it's not much... and probably has more to do with physical changes that will need to be made because of the Academic Center.

Linky

Last edited 6/22/2014 11:12 PM by snickerling

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 12:31 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


Maybe they could test drive some temporary seating systems for a year or two to make sure the demand stays high. Next years home schedule only has Clemson from a marquee name standpoint.

GL Slick Seating or StageRight temporary systems can add up to 6,000 temporary chair back seats (I know we're snobby about that) in the north endzone at what I would consider to be a fraction of the cost of a future concrete and steel expansion. This would allow for the middle red carpet area to remain open for the intros, and preserve the corner entries next to the Schenllenberger complex. Found some pics of the temporary seating systems, and frankly some of them look better than our current seats. Move the students and the band into these seats in the north endzone, and then you've got section 209 and 210 for new season ticket sales.



It's a new season
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 1:00 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion 




I have not slept at Holiday Inn as of late ... but if a true expansion is in the works versus a rearrangement of the deck chairs (Titanic reference) then Option A is the enclosure of the Northern end zone and with that your looking at 12,000 to 20,000 seats depending on the depth of UofL's pockets.

The cost effectiveness: now against future, we all saw what a single years delay did last time, my opinion go big or don't go at all - for what it is worth.
Do you hear it?  I can hear chanting ... "ACC, ACC"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 4:52 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


Those suggesting we move student tickets and the band to the new north end zone might want to check. Not sure about The ACC but The Big East had restrictions on where to put both. The conference told us where the students and band where to sit.
CJ
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 8:01 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


because an expansion isn't going to happen with the "normal fan" funding it...most likely at least.  Those expansion take forever to pay off.  The suites and club seats themselves usually pay for an entire expansion by them selves.  The regular seats that are also built is all profit on top of it.

So, when they expand in the endzone they are getting a feel for the high end seats that will fund the thing
ffire522 wrote: That survey didn't look like they were after the normal fan. On field boxes and just lots of questions that weren't catering to the normal fan and I still don't see how they think any of the question about raising ticket prices to support any new expansion would get many yes votes. I'm not for paying more for an expansion. It should pay for itself IMO.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 8:23 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion 



CardinalJim wrote: Those suggesting we move student tickets and the band to the new north end zone might want to check. Not sure about The ACC but The Big East had restrictions on where to put both. The conference told us where the students and band where to sit.
CJ

Our former conference did not tell us where the band, or students for that matter, had to sit. That has always been a decision made by the schools.


2013: The Year of the Cardinal

Sugar Bowl Champs, NCAA Women's Runner-up, NCAA Men's National Champions and the College World Series. Greatest year in the history of college athletics.

Go Cards!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 8:53 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion 



From my discussions with the ticket office, they "allocated 5K more seats to season tickets" this year to the "season ticket allotment" and sold out of all of them.    Plus, they have about 5-7K waiting list entries, with about 12-15K total seats demanded in excess of capacity right now.

CardTopper wrote: Well, we sold out of season tix the last couple of years, so yeah


---------------------------------------------
--- DaVille wrote:


It seems that the Ticket Office is even running out of the upper deck seats





---------------------------------------------



"We are on a collision course with a National Championship....the only variable is time."  

Schnellenberger-  1985

Last edited 6/23/2014 8:59 AM by DaVille

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 9:00 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion Post Rating (1 vote)


Right, they may not build many new seats for the "normal fan", but there may be that many freed up throughout the stadium for the "normal fan" on the waiting list.
CardTopper wrote: because an expansion isn't going to happen with the "normal fan" funding it...most likely at least.  Those expansion take forever to pay off.  The suites and club seats themselves usually pay for an entire expansion by them selves.  The regular seats that are also built is all profit on top of it.

So, when they expand in the endzone they are getting a feel for the high end seats that will fund the thing
ffire522 wrote: That survey didn't look like they were after the normal fan. On field boxes and just lots of questions that weren't catering to the normal fan and I still don't see how they think any of the question about raising ticket prices to support any new expansion would get many yes votes. I'm not for paying more for an expansion. It should pay for itself IMO.


CatFansince73: Louisville could sign three quarterbacks like Teddy Bridgewater and still lose to UK by two or three touchdowns next year. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 9:02 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion Post Rating (1 vote)


That's exactly what I think they should do for the party deck.  Anyone who's been up there knows that thing is very deep, and after the several rows of people crowded along the rail, there is a huge open area behind it that would easily accommodate a pretty sizeable grandstand.  I'm guessing they could easily put 1,000, maybe 2,000 temporary seats up there for big games.  
cardsfanressurected wrote: Maybe they could test drive some temporary seating systems for a year or two to make sure the demand stays high. Next years home schedule only has Clemson from a marquee name standpoint.

GL Slick Seating or StageRight temporary systems can add up to 6,000 temporary chair back seats (I know we're snobby about that) in the north endzone at what I would consider to be a fraction of the cost of a future concrete and steel expansion. This would allow for the middle red carpet area to remain open for the intros, and preserve the corner entries next to the Schenllenberger complex. Found some pics of the temporary seating systems, and frankly some of them look better than our current seats. Move the students and the band into these seats in the north endzone, and then you've got section 209 and 210 for new season ticket sales.





CatFansince73: Louisville could sign three quarterbacks like Teddy Bridgewater and still lose to UK by two or three touchdowns next year. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 9:26 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion Post Rating (1 vote)


Or they could just sell 1000-2000 "SRO" tickets for the party deck and not worry about the logistical nightmare of adding temporary seating there
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/23/2014 10:58 AM

Re: PJCS Expansion 


Put the band behind the hedges in the north end zone and make their current seats available for sale. It really wouldn't change the look of the stadium at all, it would make the team's entrance onto the field more exciting, it would be cheap even to do it with good quality, and it would make a bunch of money.
Let the stud feeding begin.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >