Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your

Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:09 AM

College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (11 votes)


Since apparently this has to be explained, please consider this a public service announcement.
If you say or type UL or UofK then "you are doing it wrong" (to use a highly technical IT term)


We follow the University of Louisville.
The name can be shortened to UofL (not UL)

For reference, here are some logos:





Please note the prominence of the word "of" in the logo.  This is not by accident.  This is called "Branding"  You may not think it's important, but I assure you that Tom Jurich and the rest of the athletic department think it's important enough to take measures to ensure that we are identified as UofL.






Now, for a moment, lets contrast that with the University of Kentucky. 
This name can be shortened to "UK" (not UofK or U uh K)

For reference, here are some logos:






What DONT you see in those logos?  you don't see the word "of"




And just to prove this is not a new thing, here is a cool pic from way back (80's???) clearly showing UofL and UK


Any exceptions you find to the above are either non sanctioned logos (not sanctioned by the school) or are from a time before these universities cared about branding.








I hope everyone found this helpful.
Referring to your team by the wrong name is embarrassing and disrespectful.  Now I realize it is often done out of ignorance - which is why I put together this helpful guide. 

When you hear a uk fan call their team U-uh-K you are encouraged to point and laugh (almost all of them make this mistake)  It simply reinforces the fact that a majority of their fans are uneducated, inbred hill jacks that have never set foot on a college campus and couln't find lexington on a map. 

Please, for the sake of your beloved UofL, don't make the same mistake.

Last edited 6/11/2014 11:20 AM by BPSUL

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:11 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your 


I kinda like typing L'ville sometimes as well.   But Great point.    It's UofL.



......So did I pass Branding 101???tongue
FLossY out...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:12 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (2 votes)


If you would like to show appreciation for this PSA, donations can be made to St. Baldricks to help fight child cancer.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:14 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (3 votes)


It's also done by the lazy "text-speak" generation...

Because apparently typing "UofL" is infinitely more difficulty than "UL."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:15 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your 



hrflossy wrote: I kinda like typing L'ville sometimes as well.   But Great point.    It's UofL.



......So did I pass Branding 101???tongue
FLossY out...


LVille is an abbreviation.  And its not something that specifically references a totally different school.  So no harm there.  This post references the use of UL  and UofK which are both completely wrong, no matter how you were raised.


On a side not, Im fairly certain we license "The Ville" as official branding as well.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:16 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your 



snickerling wrote: It's also done by the lazy "text-speak" generation...

Because apparently typing "UofL" is infinitely more difficulty than "UL."

Snick Im sure you are right.   See the "disrespectful" comment.  Take 2 seconds and show your school the respect it deserves :)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:16 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (2 votes)


So if I said LofPT, I'd be wrong?

I can;t even imagine saying "Slap of D----s"

Last edited 6/11/2014 11:17 AM by senore2006

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:18 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (1 vote)


Senore you could never be wrong.

But for everyone else it would also be fine. As stated above, this addresses the use of UL and UofK.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:20 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your 


Needless to say, your very deserved stars are aligned. tongue
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:27 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (2 votes)


It goes way further back and it's much more than branding.

Here's an Alma Mater music sheet from 1941 which was copyrighted in 1937, whose lyrics start "Fair U. of L.". This isn't a new thing.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:34 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your 


saying UL is like saying 'Ville....instead of  "the 'Ville".  Its just wrong.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:38 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (8 votes)


I've done many a thing over these last 60 years or so that have embarassed me, not using an 'of' isn't one of them. If this matters to you folks that's fine but to the best of my knowledge I never add the 'of' and I still sleep well at night and my guilt is minimal. Perhaps these lectures do have an effect on some but I don't feel any less a fan for ignoring it. Some folks add the 'of' , some don't and I seldom notice the difference. Pure Toe-MAy-to vs Toe-MAH-to to me but obviously it does matter to some. 

If it mitigates my sins my Cardinal tat does actually say UofL but that was only because it happened to be on the shot glass we used as the model.  noidea
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:41 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (2 votes)



Bcole wrote: I've done many a thing over these last 60 years or so that have embarassed me, not using an 'of' isn't one of them. If this matters to you folks that's fine but to the best of my knowledge I never add the 'of' and I still sleep well at night and my guilt is minimal. Perhaps these lectures do have an effect on some but I don't feel any less a fan for ignoring it. Some folks add the 'of' , some don't and I seldom notice the difference. Pure Toe-MAy-to vs Toe-MAH-to to me but obviously it does matter to some. 

If it mitigates my sins my Cardinal tat does actually say UofL but that was only because it happened to be on the shot glass we used as the model.  noidea
You are lucky. Getting a UL tat would be like getting a "Mom" tat with the word "Mom" being misspelled.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:41 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (12 votes)


Sorry, but the whole premise of your argument is that communicating in a manner inconsistent with the university's branding is "wrong" or makes you look ignorant or lazy. I disagree. I often identify myself to other sports fans as a "Louisville fan." That's probably inconsistent with the AD's branding strategies, but it doesn't make it wrong for me to say or an ineffective way to communicate. Likewise, I post often enough with my thumbs on a godforsaken iPhone. Typing UL is easier than UofL. 99% of the time, people understand what you mean when you do that. So if you are able to communicate the point you are making (the whole purpose of a message board) by typing UL, why is that wrong?

Are you saying I'm wrong or making an *** of myself if I don't like university branding and choose to identify my school differently? I'm not crazy about the whole "the ville" thing and I've never referred to the program that way. If the university just decided to go with "the ville"...or worse, "da ville", we fans have to go with that too?

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:43 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (3 votes)



CardinalZen wrote:
Bcole wrote: I've done many a thing over these last 60 years or so that have embarassed me, not using an 'of' isn't one of them. If this matters to you folks that's fine but to the best of my knowledge I never add the 'of' and I still sleep well at night and my guilt is minimal. Perhaps these lectures do have an effect on some but I don't feel any less a fan for ignoring it. Some folks add the 'of' , some don't and I seldom notice the difference. Pure Toe-MAy-to vs Toe-MAH-to to me but obviously it does matter to some. 

If it mitigates my sins my Cardinal tat does actually say UofL but that was only because it happened to be on the shot glass we used as the model.  noidea
You are lucky. Getting a UL tat would be like getting a "Mom" tat with the word "Mom" being misspelled.
Well I do feel a little bad about the other tat with the heart and 'Mum' under it. wink
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:50 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (4 votes)



Bcole wrote: I've done many a thing over these last 60 years or so that have embarassed me, not using an 'of' isn't one of them. If this matters to you folks that's fine but to the best of my knowledge I never add the 'of' and I still sleep well at night and my guilt is minimal. Perhaps these lectures do have an effect on some but I don't feel any less a fan for ignoring it. Some folks add the 'of' , some don't and I seldom notice the difference. Pure Toe-MAy-to vs Toe-MAH-to to me but obviously it does matter to some. 

If it mitigates my sins my Cardinal tat does actually say UofL but that was only because it happened to be on the shot glass we used as the model.  noidea


Thats how things like this work.  you may not care.  you may not even be aware that others are judging you, nor may you care.  but they are.


uk fans are probably not aware that I judge them by their lack of teeth, body odor, and poor use of the English language.  but I still do.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:53 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (1 vote)



cardfistacuffs wrote: Sorry, but the whole premise of your argument is that communicating in a manner inconsistent with the university's branding is "wrong" or makes you look ignorant or lazy. I disagree. I often identify myself to other sports fans as a "Louisville fan." That's probably inconsistent with the AD's branding strategies, but it doesn't make it wrong for me to say or an ineffective way to communicate.
Bad analogy.

A proper analogy would have been I often identify myself to other sports fans as a "Louisiana fan."   ... when you are in fact a Louisville fan.  follow me?


Its kind of like when people mean "our" but they type "are"  
Its not a mispelling.  Its the wrong damn word LOL.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 11:56 AM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (4 votes)


I try to always use UofK and not UK because it is an insult!  Someone using UL instead of UofL is and insult.
CardinalZen wrote:
Bcole wrote: I've done many a thing over these last 60 years or so that have embarassed me, not using an 'of' isn't one of them. If this matters to you folks that's fine but to the best of my knowledge I never add the 'of' and I still sleep well at night and my guilt is minimal. Perhaps these lectures do have an effect on some but I don't feel any less a fan for ignoring it. Some folks add the 'of' , some don't and I seldom notice the difference. Pure Toe-MAy-to vs Toe-MAH-to to me but obviously it does matter to some. 

If it mitigates my sins my Cardinal tat does actually say UofL but that was only because it happened to be on the shot glass we used as the model.  noidea
You are lucky. Getting a UL tat would be like getting a "Mom" tat with the word "Mom" being misspelled.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2014 12:08 PM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your Post Rating (4 votes)



BPSUL wrote:
Bcole wrote: I've done many a thing over these last 60 years or so that have embarassed me, not using an 'of' isn't one of them. If this matters to you folks that's fine but to the best of my knowledge I never add the 'of' and I still sleep well at night and my guilt is minimal. Perhaps these lectures do have an effect on some but I don't feel any less a fan for ignoring it. Some folks add the 'of' , some don't and I seldom notice the difference. Pure Toe-MAy-to vs Toe-MAH-to to me but obviously it does matter to some. 

If it mitigates my sins my Cardinal tat does actually say UofL but that was only because it happened to be on the shot glass we used as the model.  noidea


Thats how things like this work.  you may not care.  you may not even be aware that others are judging you, nor may you care.  but they are.


uk fans are probably not aware that I judge them by their lack of teeth, body odor, and poor use of the English language.  but I still do.
Well if I'm getting judged that's ok. I'll just look upon this as a bearable flaw in an otherwise sterling character.  wink
Reply | Quote
  • nawals13
  • All-American
  • Rating: 3.7/5 this site
  • 5612 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2014 1:22 PM

Re: College Branding 101 - aka "how to not embarrass your 


Kind of makes the "U uh Kay, all the way" chant all the more comical (and appropriate) considering the type of people performing the cheer.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >