Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >

The more I look back on last season, we should have REPEATED!!!!

  • Rrayraydr
  • All-District
  • Rating: 2.5/5 this site
  • 1198 posts this site

Posted: 7/28/2014 8:47 AM

The more I look back on last season, we should have REPEATED!!!! Post Rating (2 votes)


bangheadWho would have thought a team we crushed 3 times(UCONN) and a team that didn't perform to weighty preseason expectations(UK) would end up in the national championship game. It all depends on matchups for us. I think we'll take more losses this year but hopefully we will be ready by tourney time. It all depends on what bracket we fall in, it's not about the seed in my opinion. UCONN got ideal matchups every round and won it all! They matched up with everybody but us! The more I look back on last season, given the circumstances and although it's very difficult to repeat, we should have and that  was our best chance to do it!disbelief
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 9:20 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (9 votes)


You can't repeat if you can't finish.

Worst finishing team we ever had, last year. No real diss, just the way it was.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 9:51 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have 


We had a mind-set that we would not be able to make the plays at the end of the game.  When we lost Peyton, we lost the glue that held things together at the end.

I guess it is a confidence thing.  Much of it was on Russ.  How can we explain a 82% ff shooter (for his career) all of a sudden dropping below 50% when it counted?  I see that Russ, as well as he did in summer ball, shot about 53% again.  He is still spasticated!  Head scratcher!

Why does that pig have a wooden leg?  Well, you can't eat a pig like that all at once!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:01 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (1 vote)


Add the fact we led the other team in the final game for 38 of the 40 minutes in the tournament game makes one wonder had we had a couple of successful trips down the floor late in the Kentucky game, we would likely have been the repeat champs.

On Russ' free throws, there were several on the board questioning Russ' technique even when he was hitting over 80% as a junior.  I was one of those questioning it, but I said as long as he's hitting them the way he was how could you ask him to make any changes?   Well, I was wrong.  Someone needs to take some time with him and he needs to smooth that delivery out.

Practice http://*********.com/Player/Donovan-Mitchell-35404
Practice http://usssaallamerican.com/

Last edited 8/14/2014 9:50 AM by 4evercard

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:06 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have 



4evercard wrote: Add the fact we led the other team in the final game for 38 of the 40 minutes in the tournament game makes one wonder had we had a couple of successful trips down the floor late in the Kentucky game, we would likely have been the repeat champs.

On Russ' free throws, there were several on the board questioning Russ' technique even when he was hitting over 80% as a junior.  I was one of those questioning it, but I said as long as he's hitting them the way he was how could you ask him to make any changes?   Well, I was wrong.  Someone needs to take some time with him and he needs to smooth that delivery out.
I believe he did change his delivery from his junior to senior year.   He stopped falling to the left after his free throws and his percentage suffered as a result.
Reply | Quote
  • henrymillerj
  • All-District
  • Rating: 3.3/5 this site
  • 1037 posts this site

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:14 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have 


IMHO, Russ is and always was a "motion" shooter.  Its like a golfer that plays by feel over one that has a very structured swing.  When the feel is right (eg. the AAC  tourney game when he scored 40+) the confidence soars and virtually everything goes in.  On the other hand, when you shoot by feel and they stop dropping, the confidence leaves and all of a sudden the motion changes and the shots don't fall.

  I suspect that's what happened to Russ last year, esp'ly in certain games, like the UK NCAA game. I had no problem with his falling to the left on his foul shot, or with the Durant shoulder shuffle.  If it works, go with it.
JG4UL wrote:
4evercard wrote: Add the fact we led the other team in the final game for 38 of the 40 minutes in the tournament game makes one wonder had we had a couple of successful trips down the floor late in the Kentucky game, we would likely have been the repeat champs.

On Russ' free throws, there were several on the board questioning Russ' technique even when he was hitting over 80% as a junior.  I was one of those questioning it, but I said as long as he's hitting them the way he was how could you ask him to make any changes?   Well, I was wrong.  Someone needs to take some time with him and he needs to smooth that delivery out.
I believe he did change his delivery from his junior to senior year.   He stopped falling to the left after his free throws and his percentage suffered as a result.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:38 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (10 votes)


We won the championship game in 2013 because Peyton Siva was absolutely brilliant in controlling the game down the stretch in the second half against Michigan.  We lost to Kentucky last season in the NCAA and in fact lost most of the games that we did lose during the regular season because we didn't have a guard who could do what Siva did.  Instead they took bad shots, made turnovers and missed key free throws.  I am hoping Rozier is ready to provide that lost part of our game this year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:49 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (2 votes)


This!!!!

Rrayraydr wrote: bangheadWho would have thought a team we crushed 3 times(UCONN) and a team that didn't perform to weighty preseason expectations(UK) would end up in the national championship game. It all depends on matchups for us. I think we'll take more losses this year but hopefully we will be ready by tourney time. It all depends on what bracket we fall in, it's not about the seed in my opinion. UCONN got ideal matchups every round and won it all! They matched up with everybody but us! The more I look back on last season, given the circumstances and although it's very difficult to repeat, we should have and that  was our best chance to do it!disbelief
It's Fun to be a Cards Fan!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:08 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have 


We had the skill and physical pieces to repeat. As many noted immediately following the UK loss, before the UK loss and many more have come to realize as time and distance takes the sting of emotion away from the disappointment; we lacked calm and collected leadership in situations where we needed to finish. That's it. In my opinion Peyton Siva's approach to the game was the lynch pin and the distinguishing element between the title team and last year's edition. We don't win without russdiculusness but you cannot win with it alone. It needs a regulator and that is a tall order for anyone, including Russ.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:17 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have REPEATED Post Rating (6 votes)


Just like 2012, we got cheated.  Michigan, Wichita and Wisconsin did too

It's tough to beat a team of highly paid professionals

We gave it a good try though.

Last edited 7/28/2014 11:18 AM by StayClassy

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:20 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have 





---------------------------------------------
--- Hightop77 wrote:

We won the championship game in 2013 because Peyton Siva was absolutely brilliant in controlling the game down the stretch in the second half against Michigan.  We lost to Kentucky last season in the NCAA and in fact lost most of the games that we did lose during the regular season because we didn't have a guard who could do what Siva did.  Instead they took bad shots, made turnovers and missed key free throws.  I am hoping Rozier is ready to provide that lost part of our game this year.

---------------------------------------------

Interestingly the games that were hotly contested that we managed to win last season included the UC game where Russ made an uncharacteristic Siva like play with the pass to Rozier setting up his final shot. Then you have arguably our best game of the season, the anomaly in which Russ had 13 assists. I had major hope after that game but it appeared that Russ did that to prove to the NBA that he could play point and satisfying himself with the effort reverted to his usual style.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:23 AM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have REPEATED Post Rating (2 votes)





---------------------------------------------
--- StayClassy wrote:

Just like 2012, we got cheated.  Michigan, Wichita and Wisconsin did too

It's tough to beat a team of highly paid professionals

We gave it a good try though.

---------------------------------------------

No. Even if you think the refs were as crooked as politicians, the simple facts point to free throw shooting and wild play in the final five minutes. Both being issues we control 100%.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 3:20 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (1 vote)


It was rebounding.
When Chane couldn't put down the pipe, we were done.  We would have beaten UK double digits, and crushed UCONN.
It was Chane, it was always Chane.  It is a crying shame.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 3:25 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have REPEATED Post Rating (1 vote)


I agree with hightop. We never were able to replace Peyton, and his absence finally beat us. I think Siva, for all the accolades he received here, remains one 0f the most under-appreciated players in my memory.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 3:25 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (1 vote)


Chip is correct. Without Chane there was going to come a time when the Cards were up against a team with a lot of length and Montrezl would not be enough. As much as some are saying our guards didn't control the game, that would seem to have been a tall task in the NCAA Tournament.
ACC, ready or not, here we come! Old 41-9 is back! Rick Pitino Hall of Fame. What a great time to be a Louisville Cardinal fan!  Go Cards!

Last edited 7/28/2014 4:09 PM by NewYorkCard

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 4:05 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have 



NewYorkCard wrote: Chip is correct. Without Chane there was going to come a time when the Cards were up against a team with a lot of length and Montrezl would not be enough. As much as some are saying our guards didn;t control the game, that wuld seem to have been a tall task in the NCAA Tournament.

What's sad is Chane had the opportunity to become one of the All time legends at Louisville. He could've went to three final fours in a row with a title along with Russ, Wayne and Tim. He will always be apart of the Cardinal family but the opportunity he had could've been up there with guys like Christian Laettner and Lew Alcindor if you think about it. Oh well bygones...... 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 4:56 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (1 vote)


To the OP, after reading this thread, are you still unsure of why we didn't win it all last year?

The Chane situation certainly hurt our chances, but the lack of a really good PG was more important - someone who could be the QB that we needed when the game was on the line.  Making our FTs would have helped as well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:15 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have REPEATED 


We had every opportunity to win. We missed way way to many free throws. Plain and simple. No ones fault but ours.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:31 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have REPEATED Post Rating (2 votes)


The new rule change didn't help either. Block/charge???
Wonder how it will be called this year???

U of K got away w/ murder this past year.
Drop your head & run over your man on the way to the basket.
Great move or charge!!!


 "Trezillah"
I'm Back!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 8:21 PM

Re: The more I look back on last season, we should have Post Rating (1 vote)


Any one of the following would have brought a second straight championship:

► Chane: After watching a four minute highlight video of him last week, I was amazed at how much I had forgotten about his game.  Beyond Chiponmyshoulder's very valid point about Chane's rebounding, it's easy to forget how many things Chane brought to the table - including defense.  He also passed well, set awesome screens, blocked out (allowing others to rebound) and had terrific post moves.  If Chane remains on the team, they probably don't lose again after New Year's.

► Ware: While Pitino and the school managed the situation discretely, Kevin clearly is gone for the same reason as Chane.  Kevin had become a very solid defender with crazy length, and could get to the basket almost at will.  If both he and Chane stick around, UofL wins every tournament game by double digits.  

► Russ as a true point guard: KyCardinal is spot on!  When Russ announced he was coming back for a senior season, and that he had to prove to the NBA he could play the point, I thought he'd shatter the single season assist record.  He had already done a great job in spots when Peyton was in foul trouble.  Being able to focus on that role would make him the second coming of Nate Archibald or John Stockton.  Only one 13-assist game?  That could have been his per game average.  And UofL might have gone undefeated.

► Finishing: The 13-assist version of Russ makes finishing games a moot point, but the 13-assist Russ is probably able to finish games when necessary.

► Free throws: Curing this would have made most of the losses disappear, including the one that ended the season.

► Reffing?:  Anyone who reviews the game on tape admits we got hosed.  But fix any of the above, and it doesn't matter.

Despite all this, last year's team was within an eyelash of repeating.  That's a great tribute to Coach Pitino, his entire staff, and the hard work of some mostly unheralded players.  And the fact that they were great kids as well - man, it's a great time to be a cardinal fan.
"I ignore the jealous . . . malicious . . . ignorant . . . paranoid."  - Rick Pitino, 10/6/2011

Last edited 7/28/2014 8:28 PM by NVcard

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >